• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

h3ro

diddlyD said:
i'm glad burnout paradise is failing too, but not because of sandbox. its the no retry thing that makes it deserve its failure.

Do you people not realize that the game came out on Jan 22nd?

Also, the game freaking rocks and all of you have horrible memories for not being able to remember the city yet...

shortages or not, this was a 4 week month. so PS3 selling 269k is a very good sign if you considered that many people expected a sub 200k month. it's almost 70k a week, definately an improvment.

can't wait to see uncharted and burnout sales.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sean said:
nextgenracewollanb92e8.jpg

:lol :lol

le.phat

MrPing1000 said:
PS3 numbers are similar to what everyone was predicting.

Looks like Microsoft and Nintendo stacked up for christmas and haven't got their asses back into gear.

sure looks like it !

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
PistolGrip said:
Wow Megaton....

Microsoft worldwide software numbers should be double the PS3 worldwide numbers this month.

Fixed.

mozfan12

Banned
I guess this is more of a symbolic win for sony. Yeah they sold 30,000 more than 360 but in December 360 sold about 400,000 more than Sony.

I guess after been third so long, it must feel good to be second

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Threi said:
No More Heroes.

The numbers.

Let me view them.

We're going to have to have sonycowboy leak them- Matt C. didn't leak it, and it wasn't one of the game listed on the Sims exchange thingy or whatever its called.

Eteric Rice

Spotless Mind said:
OMG i am literally in shivers. This is so AMAZING! I have been saying from the beginning that 2008 would be Sony's comeback year. I am so bloody giddy right now, omg Sony WINS. :D :D :D

:lol :lol :lol

Joke post right?

Odysseus

Banned
Spotless Mind said:
OMG i am literally in shivers. This is so AMAZING! I have been saying from the beginning that 2008 would be Sony's comeback year. I am so bloody giddy right now, omg Sony WINS. :D :D :D

take a cold shower

Coverly

sp0rsk said:
I think it's interesting GH for Wii seems to have longer legs than the 360 version.

The Wii version has no Rock Band to compete with.
This is the first month that Rock Band beat out GH3 on the 360. Wonder how the battle went with the ps3.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mrbob said:
The sales are close, and there is no Rock Band Wii to go up against. Rock Band outsold GH3 on X360. The two sold about 365K, which is more than the 239K GH3 sold on Wii.

Which means what?

Liquid

Banned
:lol at anyone who thinks the ps3 sold more this month for any other reason that it being readily in stock. 360 and wii could not be found. blu ray had no impact. look at the software sales? 360 still dominates. sony was basically given this month. charity case total.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Good maybe this will force MS off their asses and cut the price. Good month for sony will speed up the winning of second place. The bad news is I think it will be a lot longer before there is a DS3 299 SKU so I can get a PS3.

legend166

Spotless Mind said:

Being giddy at software numbers is a sure fire sign you're a fanboy.

Spotless Mind said:
:lol

ITTT BEGIIINSNSSNSS!!!

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
How are you gentlemen
The fad is over
The tide is turning
The empire strikes back
It begins
You have no chance to survive make your time

shortages ahoy

Spotless Mind said:

Wow.

I want to tag this post somehow and bring it up in next month's NPD thread.

le.phat

Liquid said:
:lol at anyone who thinks the ps3 sold more this month for any other reason that it being readily in stock. 360 and wii could not be found. blu ray had no impact. look at the software sales? 360 still dominates. sony was basically given this month. charity case total.

you know what ? you're right. it still feels good to see you pissed though.

Spotless Mind said:

Gaf, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Spotless Mind said:

WTF

AppleMIX

Xisiqomelir said:
lolwhat

Do you not remember January 2007?

I wasn't a member here, so no. :p

Sean said:
It was 750k on 360 last month IIRC, so it's getting close. Probably next month it'll crack a million.

AniHawk said:
I do know it, and no, not yet. It is close though.

My biggest worry about Rock Band is that it wouldn't sell. Glad to see that i'm wrong.

Draft

Digital-Hero said:
Glad I own a PS3. 2008 is the year.
I'm glad I waited until 2008 to buy a PS3.

I regret that I bought a X360 when it still had a chance of viability. I should have waited for the eventual firesale.

harSon

Banned
Odysseus said:
shortages can explain the wii and ds for sure and the 360 to an extent, but ps3 did pretty darn well. pretty darn well, indeed.

I'd have to disagree. Their numbers are decent but only managing to sell 30,000 more units then a shortage stricken January 2006 is not that great of a sign of things to come.

As for Microsoft, I see no reason outside of a potential new SKU/SKU revision for a shortage. A shortage in your 3rd year is not acceptable and I'm sure it's not because of setting sales records :lol

Arthas

Banned
DKnight said:
How are you gentlemen
The fad is over
The tide is turning
The empire strikes back
It begins
You have no chance to survive make your time

I will save this for next month, in order to humiliate you.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Liquid said:

Two points

1- I agree that those saying OMG THE CONSOLE WAR IS OVER PSTRIPLE IS BACK are overdoing things

2- This is still a very good performance for PS3, irrespective of any shortages on the Wii and 360 end.

Kolgar

Heads should roll at Microsoft for this.

They just handed Sony a "get out of jail free" card that helps it stoke its momentum right out of the gate in 2008, The Year of PS3.

I must say, PS3 got a nice bump from somewhere--maybe the Warner announcement? They need to try and keep that momentum up.

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will keep helping them.

justjohn

Liquid said:
mmmmmm valentine day tears. taste so good

Anyone got numbers for No More Heroes?

Hey the Germans would have done better too if they weren't supply constrained.

Actually, Germany kicked so much ass at the beginning was because they spent the better half of the previous decade stock piling.

Top Bottom