• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

onipex

pr0cs said:
At this point it's really obvious that the 360 is overpriced, there just isn't enough value vs the PS3 when you consider all the things the PS3 does/gives extra for the price.
The 360 has the better games library but is not priced appropriately when you consider that the PS3 is starting to come into it's own and has better value.
Dropping the price of the 20 and then launching the 60 causes confusion, even worse when there are very strong rumors of another price drop in September, I expect August to have similar numbers for the PS3 and 360, likely even worse for the 360.

Both have a low value as far as the average consumer is concerned. The 360 may have a lower value among core gamers because of RROD, but don’t think the PS3 is valued higher overall. The 360’s library is much better and will only continue to get better as time goes on. If Microsoft is smart they will finally fix the RROD issue if they have not already so the newer supply of consoles don’t hurt the value anymore. Even though the PS3 is also starting to come into it’s own ( I thought it was already there) the 360 still sales more software and that puts it in a better position to keep getting the top games.

Both are also going through a sales bump. PS3 is still up from MGS4 and the 360 is up from the price drop. I have no idea why anyone would have suspected the 360 to out sell the PS3 this month. If anything I thought the PS3 numbers would be higher.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I disagree completely.

The Wii is gaining steam, but not equally. We're starting to see shifts from Japan, and from larger American devs. It's a trickle down system.

(I was gonna type more, but i've said this so much I'm too lazy to bother again.)

I agree with you the Wii is already seeing better support. People keep forgetting that most publishers were not on board with the Wii before is launched like they were for the PS3 and 360. That is Nintendo’s fault for keeping it from everyone. First gen Wii games will still be coming out in 2009.

farnham

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Uhm. I don't think that Mario kart Wii will ever reach Mario Kart 64.

Game of the generation my ass. Galaxy is THE game of the generation.
Well the game is going to go strong at least for another year

after that there will be a budget classics release

i think it will be pretty close at the end of the generation

FF_VIII

Banned
I pledge allegiance to Sony of the SCEA and to the republic for PS3 stands, one console, under God (Jack Tretton), invisible, with liberty and great games for all.

Askia47

felipeko said:
Wii version does not mean port or spin off...

What do you mean? I was wondering how SC: Legends did on Wii, just to see how it did what do you mean by " does not mean port or spin off" ? Im just wondering thats all.

Do you mean if it were released alongside the 360 and PS3 version?

Zoe

shidoshi said:
Yeah, and people are being a bit short-sighted when it comes to "slimming" the Xbox 360. Can you do it width wise? No, but you can certainly do it height and length wise. Drop an inch or two from the length (the HDD would still work just fine), drop a few inches from the height, and voila.

Hopefully they'll have learned from previous mistakes though and develop the innards before the case :lol

theBishop said:
The convenience of the "caddy" isn't worth maintaining the 360's bulky form factor.

(sorry, meant enclosure)

Then how do you propose attaching the HDD to the system?

pr0cs

onipex said:
Both have a low value as far as the average consumer is concerned. The 360 may have a lower value among core gamers because of RROD, but don’t think the PS3 is valued higher overall. The 360’s library is much better and will only continue to get better as time goes on. If Microsoft is smart they will finally fix the RROD issue if they have not already so the newer supply of consoles don’t hurt the value anymore. Even though the PS3 is also starting to come into it’s own ( I thought it was already there) the 360 still sales more software and that puts it in a better position to keep getting the top games.

The problem is price and value. The cost of Live, the extra cost for wireless, lack of a BD drive all weigh into consumers perception of the device.
I have a difficult time recommending the 360 at this point to anyone who hasn't bought a next gen machine because of the price and all the other things you get on the PS3, even if it's game library pales in comparison to the 360.

Sadly Microsoft seems to want to ride out their lead for the rest of this gen ensuring profitability rather than getting more gamers onboard. If you're a true gamer you'll have both machines but the casual audience is going to buy on of the two and at this point the 360 doesn't have the same value as the PS3.

DreD

Askia47 said:
What do you mean? I was wondering how SC: Legends did on Wii, just to see how it did what do you mean by " does not mean port or spin off" ? Im just wondering thats all.

Do you mean if it were released alongside the 360 and PS3 version?

It probably did poorly, as it was pure garbage...

jmdajr

pr0cs said:
The problem is price and value. The cost of Live, the extra cost for wireless, lack of a BD drive all weigh into consumers perception of the device.
I have a difficult time recommending the 360 at this point to anyone who hasn't bought a next gen machine because of the price and all the other things you get on the PS3, even if it's game library pales in comparison to the 360.

Sadly Microsoft seems to want to ride out their lead for the rest of this gen ensuring profitability rather than getting more gamers onboard. If you're a true gamer you'll have both machines but the casual audience is going to buy on of the two and at this point the 360 doesn't have the same value as the PS3.

truth

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The MGS4 bundle is by far the best entertainment value in stores right now. This is why I think PS3 beat X360 in July and is why it is continuing to sell well. People see a free game, Blu-ray, built-in wireless, free online-service, Dual Shock-3, etc etc and when they add it all up and compare it to X360, it is a significantly better value. People are a lot more comfortable with buying Blu-ray movies since the format war ended and I think as we see prices come down on Blu-ray movies, PS3 sales will continue to benefit from that.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Uhm. I don't think that Mario kart Wii will ever reach Mario Kart 64.
The game has crazy legs, I wouldn't be surprised it beats MK64 when it's all said and done. It'll beat it worldwide - that's a given, the MK64 wasn't as hot in Europe because of the N64's performance, but the Wii and MK Wii is a whole different story.

I think Blu-Ray may be helping the PS3 much earlier than I anticipated.

The PS3 is a much better value right now . . . only $50 to $100 more and it gives you free Wi-Fi and Blu-Ray playback.

MS needs to cut their price and/or integrate Wi-Fi and/or Blu-Ray.

Rolf NB

onipex said:
The 360’s library is much better and will only continue to get better as time goes on.
Myth.
Everything's multiplatform. Almost all of the XBox 360's de-facto 3rd-party exclusives that released during its first year (before the PS3 was even out) have already been ported, or at least the series has since gone multiplatform with a sequel. Comdemned, Oblivion, GRAW, Enchanted Arms, R6 Vegas, Lost Planet etc etc have all become multiplatform games/franchises. There are very few exceptions left, like the Burger King games, or Bullet Witch. Err.

And due to the market shares between the two (installed base, but particularly ongoing sofware sales) evening out, this multiplatform reality will only continue. With every month that passes, it becomes harder for publishers to justify not doing a PS3 version of a game that comes out for the XBox 360. That wasn't so clearly the case early last year, but now it is, and Microsoft will have to put down ever-increasing amounts of money if it wants to secure exclusivity from a third party.
With CoD4 and Assassin's Creed the sales ratio XBox 360:pS3 was about 3:1. With GTA IV it was about 2:1. With Soul Calibur IV and NCAA we're down to about 1.5:1, while at the same time the pie is growing in absolute terms as well. Publishers will not just freely give up those kinds of opportunity. So going forward you should rather expect less 3rd party exclusives for the XBox 360, timed or otherwise, not more.

What remains as a library difference is first-party games and "second-party" games (published by the platform holder). Microsoft's first party has actually been shrinking. Rare, Silicon Knights, Turn 10 ... and I don't know anyone else ... FASA? Bungie is free now. They are most likely still bound to deliver exclusive games, but that agreement will run out. Bizarre isn't bound at all.
Mass Effect, Gears Of War, and Mistwalker RPGs, plus Rare's, Turn 10's and Silicon Knights' output is about the full extent of exclusives you can expect for the XBox 360 in the near future.

Sony OTOH controls an awful lot of studios. Really, they do.

basik

Askia47 said:

I dunno what it sold but the game is horrible. bad reviews all around unlike sc2 on cube or sc4...its not simply an average game like say red steel... sc legends is a turd, I made the mistake of buying it.

Shockingly low and very disappointing 360 numbers. Last month my brother, a neighbor and a co-worker each bought a $299 360 thanks to the price drop so based on that anecdotal evidence alone I easily expected to see 300k+ in sales for July.

On another note, last night I chuckled a bit when I saw a large Hispanic family (plenty of small kids) buying a $500 ps3 motorstorm bundle at my local BlockBuster - yep they still the Motorstorm bundle there.

Parl

farnham said:
Well the game is going to go strong at least for another year

after that there will be a budget classics release

i think it will be pretty close at the end of the generation
There will?

Yes Boss!

DenogginizerOS said:
The MGS4 bundle is by far the best entertainment value in stores right now. This is why I think PS3 beat X360 in July and is why it is continuing to sell well. People see a free game, Blu-ray, built-in wireless, free online-service, Dual Shock-3, etc etc and when they add it all up and compare it to X360, it is a significantly better value. People are a lot more comfortable with buying Blu-ray movies since the format war ended and I think as we see prices come down on Blu-ray movies, PS3 sales will continue to benefit from that.

$500+ doesn't strike me as the best entertainment value. Please.

Mrbob said:
More proof 360 sales are stagnating.

Look here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183381

July 2007 results thread.

360 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 1 397k
PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 156k

360 NCAA football sales are the same year over year, while PS3 NCAA sales took a big jump.

That's interesting. I was wondering what last year's July sales looked like. Wow, seriously the 360 version sold the exact amount from last year while the PS3 version increased by about 100K. I wonder what the overall sales of NCAA are compared to last year.

juicyfruitas said:
Shockingly low and very disappointing 360 numbers. Last month my brother, a neighbor and a co-worker each bought a $299 360 thanks to the price drop so based on that anecdotal evidence alone I easily expected to see 300k+ in sales for July.

On another note, last night I chuckled a bit when I saw a large Hispanic family (plenty of small kids) buying a $500 ps3 motorstorm bundle at my local BlockBuster - yep they still the Motorstorm bundle there.

What the hell is your avatar from?

botticus

Gamecocks625 said:
That's interesting. I was wondering what last year's July sales looked like. Wow, seriously the 360 version sold the exact amount from last year while the PS3 version increased by about 100K. I wonder what the overall sales of NCAA are compared to last year.
Comparing the same versions that were out last year, overall sales are probably stagnant since the PS2 version dropped at least 100k. The addition of the Wii version may have helped a bit.

szaromir

Banned
Mrbob said:
360 NCAA football sales are the same year over year, while PS3 NCAA sales took a big jump.
By the same logic, since PS3 launched a year later, NCAA PS3 should achieve numbers NCAA 360 achieved last year.

gantz85

Banned
szaromir said:
By the same logic, since PS3 launched a year later, NCAA PS3 should achieve numbers NCAA 360 achieved last year.

What logic? That's a non sequitur.

He wasn't making an assertion, but an observation.

LuCkymoON

Banned
pr0cs said:

Agreed, I would love to recommend the 360 to more people, but these same people also want a BR player so I have to rec the PS3. ATM it is the better value.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
King_Slender said:
I think what you are leaving out is that top flight studios don't really WANT to develop for the Wii, other than as a money grab, which does not satisfy their creative side, especially the artists. Honestly, can you see companies like Insomniac, Valve, etc. really putting all their heart into a Wii game? Neither can I.
Why would artists feel restricted? They are the ones most likely to gain by moving to smaller scale games. Look at games like Braid, which could probably run pretty easily on a PS1, is it not creative/artistic?

Barrett2

poppabk said:
Why would artists feel restricted? They are the ones most likely to gain by moving to smaller scale games. Look at games like Braid, which could probably run pretty easily on a PS1, is it not creative/artistic?

Just because some games like Braid are both creative AND low tech does not mean that all creative games can be made with lower tech.

I mean, seriously, is this what we have been reduced to in defending the Wii? Claiming its low-budget tech actually inspires more creativity?

I think it's pretty obvious that big budget devs clearly are not interested in developing big name games for the Wii, otherwise we would have actually heard about some of these games by now! Take a look at the upcoming slate of Wii games from 3rd party studios; the platform is the domain of loads of shovelware. If the Wii is supposed to inspire creativity, where is it?

I'm still trying to make sense of the NCAA and SCIV sales. So if you look at the numbers for the PS3 and 360 versions, then look at the install base in NA, doesn't that mean that PS3 actually had a higher attach rate? If so, isn't that, like, wrong?

Zoe

poppabk said:

So now artists have nothing to gain from high-end 3D graphics?

Vinci

Danish
Zoe said:

When it makes sense for the game they're making, but assuming that a game is better automagically because of high-end 3D graphics is just as silly as assuming a game is better without them.

Opiate

Vinci said:
When it makes sense for the game they're making, but assuming that a game is better automagically because of high-end 3D graphics is just as silly as assuming a game is better without them.

I had assumed he meant "graphic artists." While I would absolutely agree that games as a whole do not necessarily gain artistic possibilities from higher end 3D graphics, it's almost impossible to argue that graphic artists in particular do not.

TheRagnCajun said:
I'm still trying to make sense of the NCAA and SCIV sales. So if you look at the numbers for the PS3 and 360 versions, then look at the install base in NA, doesn't that mean that PS3 actually had a higher attach rate? If so, isn't that, like, wrong?
It means that the PS3 had a higher attach rate but the 360 still sold more. Attach ratios are useless to that effect if you ignore the trends.

Aeris130

Thank god we've finally arrived at next-gen. How developers must have suffered during the uncreative era that lasted up until (and including) the PS2.

Zoe

Vinci said:

The point is you can't lump art into one category. For some artists, their vision is best realized in ways that can be achieved through the low-end systems. For other artists, they need the higher-end systems to achieve their vision.

A lower-end system is more likely to force an artist to make concessions. The end product may turn out to be great, but the exact same thing could have been reproduced on a higher-end system. The same can't be said the other way around.

Vinci

Danish
Zoe said:
A lower-end system is more likely to force an artist to make concessions.

Or it might be what inspires them to use an eye-catching art style rather than what they were going to, thus turning what might've been an also-ran game into something innovative and successful. You see this happening throughout the history of gaming - where limitations provided inspiration where excess might have simply made developers wasteful or lazy, assuming that the technology will be there to save their game even if they could've used another art style to explore the game's concept.

EDIT: Understand, I'm a PC gamer as well. I love fancy graphics and shit, but sometimes it seems like devs lean on it too strongly rather than doing something on their end that makes their games truly special and stand out.

Talamius

Zoe said:

Super Mario Galaxy runs circles around the majority of this "high-end" stuff, artistically speaking, and it has the disadvantage of running on a much more technologically inferior console. As stated above, Braid could be done in SD on a PS1.

Consoles are merely a form of canvas. What you see is a direct reflection of the artist's abilities. You don't absolutely have to have high-end 3D.

Deku

Banned
When you have EA's Riccitiello talking about making bullets in a war, no wonder the fanboys treat every game as a weapon and only belatedly graft on console specific characteristics such as HD or motion controls as a justification.

Zoe

Talamius said:
Consoles are merely a form of canvas. What you see is a direct reflection of the artist's abilities. You don't absolutely have to have high-end 3D.

Sure. But a truly great artist wouldn't need any restrictions in place to force them into coming up with something unique.

HondaF1Fanatic said:
Man, both HD consoles sold like crap, hopefully that does mean a price drop though, then I can get my Jasper for cheaper.

Actually, both HD consoles sold relatively well; considerably more than last year.

Vinci

Danish
Zoe said:
Sure. But a truly great artist wouldn't need any restrictions in place to force them into coming up with something unique.

No, a truly great artist is someone who can take restrictions and still make something amazing within them. And it feels like some games could've been done on a less powerful system (like the Wii or PSP), used a more intriguing art style, and wouldn't have needed the vast development money whilst creating something equally good as what they'd have done with HD graphics and fewer limitations.

Limits, more often than not, don't stifle creativity any more than absolute freedom does.

Deku

Banned
Vinci said:
Limits, more often than not, don't stifle creativity any more than absolute freedom does.
I disagree, with absolute creative and technical freedom we got Jar Jar Binks the best alien from the outer rims.

You know, at one time people were claiming which handheld was better on the basis of better graphics (PSP) vs. better control (DS). Now the argument has changed entirely; one is claimed superior not for its control or its graphics, but what game library it sports. THIS is what matters.

Top Bottom