• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

-viper-

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
gaftrek2.gif
:lol

ShockingAlberto said:
I mostly agree, except for the bolded part.

The horsepower issue is pretty important to developers and publishers. Not because of the "No one wants to work on last-gen games because they're artists" shit that gets bandied about here (Epic aside). But a lot of them have invested a large amount of money in to HD, high-powered games. With the exception of larger companies like Capcom, which weren't stupid enough to put all their eggs in a single basket, a lot of modern developers simply have to choose a side. Publishers like Marvelous hitched their wagon to Nintendo, most others stayed HD. They're probably thinking that, if they can just ride out this generation, there will be at least some rudimentary standards next time around.

Until then, Wii gets the table scrap.

Yeah, that's something I conviently ignore and should take into account but it's still hard (for me) to use that as an excuse. You'd think, when given the option, most devs would be excited by the notion of slowing down the hardware race and lowering development costs but yet we can see that most are still greenlighting big budget HD products even in the face of all we know now.

I'm not against HD gaming. I don't want to see my 360 and PS3 gather dust in the coming years. But when I look at numbers like these and the profit reports from last quarter I don't see health there. I see one company making multitudes more than all the others and that's not good for gaming, even when it's a company I support.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
MechDX said:
If attach rates were important than HD DVD won the HD format war.:D
The difference you had to buy the hd player, it was not built into the system. If it was built into the system, i could see HD format still being around. Most 360 owners I know bought the system for games, not movies.

Struct09

Private Hoffman said:
I'm not taking a ban bet on LBP, but I predict it sells ~400k during its first NPD, but will have long legs.

400k for a new IP being released mid to end October? I'm not taking a ban bet either, but I highly doubt it. I think we'll be lucky to see LBP break 200k for its first NPD.

I want to see LBP do well, but I think it will be a harder sell to the casual crowd.

Slavik81

Deku said:
I disagree, with absolute creative and technical freedom we got Jar Jar Binks the best alien from the outer rims.
Freedom is the ability to do more.
Including make more mistakes.

The things you can create while under limits are a subset of the things you can create with absolute freedom. Any technical restriction you have could just as easily be self-imposed, so why would you want to force it to be so?

No, there's better reasons to use the Wii than that the processors are less capable than those of the 360 and PS3.

Struct09 said:
400k for a new IP being released mid to end October? I'm not taking a ban bet either, but I highly doubt it. I think we'll be lucky to see LBP break 200k for its first NPD.

How quickly people forget Gears, apparently.

Struct09

_leech_ said:

Yeah, I realize that I worded that poorly. While Gears was a new IP at the time, it has the appeal of your typical western shooter. I don't think LBP has nearly that kind of appeal in the US, it's something completely new. We're excited about it, but I just don't see the average Joe caring as much, and that's where the big numbers would come from.

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: Also, Gears came out at the beginning of November. That means it got a whole month's worth of sales for NPD, including Black Friday.

womfalcs3

Banned
LBP will be pushed hard by Sony, gaming venues online/print, and by retailers. Plus it's the holiday shopping time. People who don't follow gaming news online know about this game.

400,000 for the first month is underestimating it in my opinion.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
_leech_ said:

They also forget Uncharted. The best game on the console, in November, didn't sell anything near that. Neither did Ratchet

Zoe

Agent Icebeezy said:
They also forget Uncharted. The best game on the console, in November, didn't sell anything near that. Neither did Ratchet

Neither got anywhere near the push LBP's getting, and the userbase is considerably larger now.

Opiate

Slavik81 said:
Freedom is the ability to do more.
Including make more mistakes.

The things you can create while under limits are a subset of the things you can create with absolute freedom. Any technical restriction you have could just as easily be self-imposed, so why would you want to force it to be so?

No, there's better reasons to use the Wii than that the processors are less capable than those of the 360 and PS3.

I largely agree with this analysis, but I think it's fair to point out that what you're saying is purely theoretical. What is theoretically possible with absolute freedom and what people actually do with absolute freedom are two very different things.

But again, to repeat, I don't really buy the notion that more limits are better for game design.

Jokeropia

Opiate said:
We have fragmented shipment numbers.

Two months ago (when the Wii was at 18 months old) launch aligned total shipment numbers were revealed for the US only:

Wii: ~50 Million
PS2: ~42 Million
360: ~30 Million
PS3: ~20 Million

At 20 months, we have these totals:

Wii: ~60 Million
360: ~35 Million
PS3: ~25 Million
These are not shipments, they're actual NPD figures.

Agent Icebeezy said:

Poor marketing, bad publicity for the system, and a low install base tends to do that. Things are much different now:

262prib.jpg

phalestine

aka iby.h
Zoe said:
Neither got anywhere near the push LBP's getting, and the userbase is considerably larger now.

Push as in advertisement? Because Uncharted had a great marketing campaign. but yeah the larger userbase will help the game.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Opiate said:
I largely agree with this analysis, but I think it's fair to point out that what you're saying is purely theoretical. What is theoretically possible with absolute freedom and what people actually do with absolute freedom are two very different things.

But again, to repeat, I don't really buy the notion that more limits are better for game design.

I agree.

However, that leaves two questions: what kind of technical limits are we talking about, as far as game design is concerned ? Most importantly, regarding the current consoles, can it be assumed that the horsepower difference between the Wii and the PS360 greatly limits the possibilities in terms of –once again– game design? I personally think it doesn't. There might be SOME limitations, in fact, I think that's a good possibility, but nothing more. Were the gap even wider (another generation of difference), then maybe, just maybe, the limits would become problematic.

And then, of course, you've always got to throw a little bit of pragmatism in the mix when discussing those things: having infinite possibilities is all fine and dandy, but infinite cash is rarely a given, so... There's an issue.

Zoe

iby.h said:
Push as in advertisement? Because Uncharted had a great marketing campaign. but yeah the larger userbase will help the game.

I never saw anything outside of commercials. LBP's getting toured to various venues, large advertisements, viral marketing, etc.

Loudninja

iby.h said:
Maybe you should read up a little, he is making a point, I wont tell you what it is though. :/

Awww I hate secrets! :p

LBP already has a better marketing campaign than Uncharted, and the game is still months away.

Agent Icebeezy

Loudninja said:
But they both still sold well, so whats your point?

Everyone is talking about LBP first month sales. Uncharted, in November, didn't get off to that much of a hot start. I personally think the game is too smart for the masses. I've stated that previously and I will again. It seems like VP redux, due to the fact that on the exterior, Viva Pinata looks like a family, kid friendly game, but it really isn't. I see this as being the same way. Perhaps they should drop the price like Microsoft has done with the Rare games.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Everyone is talking about LBP first month sales. Uncharted, in November, didn't get off to that much of a hot start. I personally think the game is too smart for the masses. I've stated that previously and I will again. It seems like VP redux, due to the fact that on the exterior, Viva Pinata looks like a family, kid friendly game, but it really isn't. I see this as being the same way. Perhaps they should drop the price like Microsoft has done with the Rare games.
I agree.

Again, no mouse will make it harder to break through the non-gaming masses.

The gaming pad is probably the most inconvenient control scheme for these types of games.

The PS3 is mouse compatible, so....hint hint, nudge nudge.

Zoe

titiklabingapat said:
I agree.

Again, no mouse will make it harder to break through the non-gaming masses.

The gaming pad is probably the most inconvenient control scheme for these types of games.

The PS3 is mouse compatible, so....hint hint, nudge nudge.

I bet you think PJMonsters would have been better with a mouse too, huh.

Loudninja

Agent Icebeezy said:

True, Uncharted sold like 117,000, in November, but the following month it did better.

Zoe

Do we know what the reporting period for October will be? LBP will be coming out in the last or second-to-last week.

Agent Icebeezy

Loudninja said:
True, Uncharted sold like 117,000, in Novmeber, but it DID increase in December to 206,000.

That is expected though. That is the Christmas season at work. To be honest, I do fear for my beloved Banjo. It has equity in the brand because the previous games were classics, but there are a lot of games that are going to be vying for the consumer dollar this fall. A 39.99 price gives it more visibility though. Not to mention that October is GH4 month.

Loudninja

Agent Icebeezy said:
That is expected though. That is the Christmas season at work. To be honest, I do fear for my beloved Banjo. It has equity in the brand because the previous games were classics, but there are a lot of games that are going to be vying for the consumer dollar this fall. A 39.99 price gives it more visibility though. Not to mention that October is GH4 month.

Actually most were not expecting that :D .

I am not too sure about Banjo thought, its a wild card just like LBP.

Agent Icebeezy said:

This encapsulates exactly how I feel about LBP but I've been trying my best to be kind because deep down I actually hope I'm wrong about it. I really liked VP but in the end I couldn't help but wonder who the game was for. It was too cute for hardcores and to deep for kids/casuals and the sales seemed to reflect that. VP had a big marketing campaign (including a cartoon) yet sold less than most expected given it's quality.

I look at LBP the same way. It seems to be practically invented for the kind of gamers who frequent boards like these and the gaming press with its virtues (high prod. values, commmunity sharing of user created content, etc) but it just doesn't strike me to be the kind of game changer that a lot of its fans here think it is. I'll pick it up first day, but I expect to see shelves full of them.

Agent Icebeezy

Saint Gregory said:
This encapsulates exactly how I feel about LBP but I've been trying my best to be kind because deep down I actually hope I'm wrong about it. I really liked VP but in the end I couldn't help but wonder who the game was for. It was too cute for hardcores and to deep for kids/casuals and the sales seemed to reflect that. VP had a big marketing campaign (including a cartoon) yet sold less than most expected given it's quality.

I look at LBP the same way. It seems to be practically invented for the kind of gamers who frequent boards like these and the gaming press with its virtues (high prod. values, commmunity sharing of user created content, etc) but it just doesn't strike me to be the kind of game changer that a lot of its fans here think it is. I'll pick it up first day, but I expect to see shelves full of them.

That is what VP" Trouble in Paradise is aiming to fix. Rare has said that they made VP a bit selfishly in that we made a game that we wanted to play.

Agent Icebeezy said:
That is what VP" Trouble in Paradise is aiming to fix. Rare has said that they made VP a bit selfishly in that we made a game that we wanted to play.

If the "we" stands for "anyone who loves games" then they accomplished their goal.Best Rare game in a decade and I expect LBP to be even better. I just suspect that LBP will suffer VP's fate. I wonder if Sony will be willing to give it another chance like MS is doing with VP:TiP if my suspicions are correct.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't think LBP will be a bomb because I don't consider VP a bomb. I just think they're both games that have an uneven focus in terms of which market they're aiming for. It's kind of sad that games need that kind of focus nowadays...

Agent Icebeezy

Saint Gregory said:
If the "we" stands for "anyone who loves games" then they accomplished their goal.Best Rare game in a decade and I expect LBP to be even better. I just suspect that LBP will suffer VP's fate. I wonder if Sony will be willing to give it another chance like MS is doing with VP:TiP if my suspicions are correct.

The only reason that VP is being made again is due to the numbers it pushed with bundling and the success of the cartoon

cakefoo

Agent Icebeezy said:
(LBP) seems like VP redux, due to the fact that on the exterior, Viva Pinata looks like a family, kid friendly game, but it really isn't. I see this as being the same way. Perhaps they should drop the price like Microsoft has done with the Rare games.
I don't know, Viva Pinata's a complex single-player strategy game, vs LBP being a 4-player online/offline 2.5D sidescroller with two main buttons, jump and grab.

With kids:
rlypza.jpg

With adults:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13hyWNWwq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysn6w82eEfQ

Agent Icebeezy

cakefoo said:
I don't know, Viva Pinata's a complex single-player strategy game, vs LBP being a 4-player online/offline 2.5D sidescroller with two main buttons, jump and grab.

With kids:
rlypza.jpg

With adults:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13hyWNWwq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysn6w82eEfQ

Nerds and gamers like us go to Comic-Con, you can't use that to persuade me. My two oldest daughters have been playing the Sims since they could use a PC. Moving to a game like Viva Pinata is a piece of cake as this is. They play Trackmania and build tracks. They are into that creativity thing because it has been in their faces and hands for years. Besides, when I do have my neices and nephews over, the hot thing to play is the Wii. They have tried VP before, they didn't get it. I think that all platformers that isn't on the Wii have their work cut out for them.

Agent Icebeezy said:
The only reason that VP is being made again is due to the numbers it pushed with bundling and the success of the cartoon

Really? I didn't realize the cartoon did well. Never saw it myself but whatever gets a sequel done is good in my book.

Agent Icebeezy said:

At a time when the PS3 userbase was still very small in the US, having done terribly during its launch and throughout most of 2007, only receiving large increases AFTER both of those games shipped.

The PS3 userbase of October 2008 is going to be significantly different than the PS3 userbase of October 2007 [Note: 1.98 million PS3s were sold up until the time when Uncharted/Ratchet were released, compare that with how many PS3s are in circulation in the USA now at about 5.08 million with a projected 5.5+ million when Little Big Planet finally releases in the US. Definitely a large enough userbase to support my estimate of 400k assuming less than a 10% attach ratio (which, I personally think LBP will have a better attach ratio than that).]

It also has to be worth mentioning that the hype for Ratchet / Uncharted was muted because of Sony's failed marketing AND the fact that these titles released amidst Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Assasin's Creed, Mass Effect and others. This year, the competition isn't nearly as stiff. Little Big Planet releases before the mad rush of other titles and will likely receive very positive praise and media buzz given how revolutionary it is.

FrankT

Agent Icebeezy said:

Aye, and I bought them both when I first bought my first PS3 that month. I was pretty surprised with the numbers as they are both excellent titles. Not planning to get LBP, but I think the earlier comment with first month 400k doesn't sound too off the mark if not a little bit more.

Wollan said:
Maybe MS has fixed the RROD problem.
There are still a small number of working old 360s out there that haven't RROD'd just yet.. My bro's 2nd 360 just RROD'd last week and I'm on my 3rd 360 (non Falcon or HDMI) and it's been freezing a lot lately. So even if they did fix the RROD problem there are a whole bunch more ticking timebombs out there.

Top Bottom