• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
onipex said:
I don't think the mindset of the developer should matter much if the publisher wants them to make a game.

The longer term strategy of the developer should totally matter, regardless of whether the publisher wants them to do a game or not. To undertake development of a game for a platform you don't have faith in or that you don't believe has the potential to earn royalties is very shortsighted.

A developer should only take such a deal if there is no other deal to be had.

Jokeropia

bcn-ron said:
The figures provided by Parmenides, which weren't limited to only domestic revenue for any company call into question both the assumption and the conclusion that was layered upon it.
They were limited by only being one quarter of revenue for a select number of publishers.

In terms of overall software sales, 360 still destroys PS3. (Higher tie-ratio and higher installed base.)

ziran

Wii/DS - FUCK ME astounding! Especially seeing Wii up from last month with no significant releases.

PS3, meh..., obviously. And a significant decline from MGS4-USA-bump, with no excuses valid. LBP, well, all I can say that hasn't already been reasonably said in terms of system selling potential, and it becoming a mass market monster, is, ......

360, well, what do expect for new Xbox? Exactly what every reasonable poster predicted would happen before the system was released, given MS's silly, exactly the same as Xbox, (non) mass market strategy.

PSP, as expected.

Shipptnotsold said:
did we ever find out how FFIV did?
tired of looking thru these threads :/
I don't think so :(

NPD has the crack down of fuckshittyness!

I mean, come on, just a few fucking bones for the die hardcores of this world?!?! Just to give them a sense of the kind of games they enjoy playing doing enough to allow a sequel, I mean, WOW!! How can anyone be so bitterly mean?

Would it seriously fucking kill them for a few bits when some people have leaked entire monthly sales in detail, which are still available all over the interweb???

No, of course it wouldn't.

Jokeropia said:
They were limited by only being one quarter of revenue for a select number of publishers.

In terms of overall software sales, 360 still destroys PS3. (Higher tie-ratio and higher installed base.)

As recent NPD data suggests, "destroys" isn't the proper term I'd use. 360 does enjoy a higher global installed based, largely in NA, but their software lead is quickly evaporating for multiplatform titles. Furthermore, in many European countries it's common for the PS3 version to sell more.

ziran

Private Hoffman said:
As recent NPD data suggests, "destroys" isn't the proper term I'd use. 360 does enjoy a higher global installed based, largely in NA, but their software lead is quickly evaporating for multiplatform titles. Furthermore, in many European countries it's common for the PS3 version to sell more.
Yes, but this is US, check the title...

PS3 is likely to be the GC of sw sales for 3rd parties in the US of A, and before you explode with vitriol, check your figures, seriously ;)

Furthermore, PS3 will probably never close in on 360 3rd party sw sales this entire generation, ever, in NA, imo. Wii, will eventually surpass 360 by a huge margin, which is obvious to anyone paying attention.

Nafai1123

Banned
ziran said:
Yes, but this is US, check the title...

PS3 is likely to be the GC of sw sales for 3rd parties in the US of A, and before you explode with vitriol, check your figures, seriously ;)

Furthermore, PS3 will probably never close in on 360 3rd party sw sales this entire generation, ever, in NA, imo. Wii, will eventually surpass 360 by a huge margin, which is obvious to anyone paying attention.

Looking back just a year, its pretty clear to see that the 360 has gone from selling about 3:1 to selling about 1.5:1 this year. How is that not "closing in" on 360 3rd party sales?

SRG01

Nafai1123 said:
Looking back just a year, its pretty clear to see that the 360 has gone from selling about 3:1 to selling about 1.5:1 this year. How is that not "closing in" on 360 3rd party sales?

This is correct. I'd expect on-par sales for many, if not all, multiplatform titles by November or December.

MechDX

SRG01 said:
This is correct. I'd expect on-par sales for many, if not all, multiplatform titles by November or December.

8eayhxd.jpg

ziran

Nafai1123 said:
What I'm saying is even if PS3 ever equals 360 in total HW sales in NA, 360 sw sales will still be higher, quite significantly imo.

In fact, given the fucking bragging Sony has gone on record spouting, I think it's somewhat amusing they've lost their main advantage, as they saw it, in being able to sell the most sw for 3rd parties on their current systems, PS3 and PSP.

FrankT

Spiegel said:
Yep, in USA I don't think so. Worldwide, probably

Certain games probably other games no. For example I do not see the PS3 version of Madden selling on par with the 360 version next year. For the US, since this is NPD here, that lead of 5.6 million lead isn't really going anywhere. So take a game like Fallout 3, do I really think it is going to sale the same this fall across consoles, neh eh.

Just looking back to last holiday COD4 sold ~3 times as much on 360 since then IIRC. The 360 has actually put more towards it's total base since November than the PS3 has so how in the world would they be selling 3rd party software on par this holiday season with a lead that has actually grown since then?

While people may point to some conclusion about NCAA or SCIV it doesn't really say much at all to the whole picture. For example I would love to see the 3rd party sales of all games since November in the US for each platform since the 360 base has actually grown moreso than the PS3's base. I wouldn't take two games in the top ten for one or a game here or there and say oh we know conclusively what the sales end up being because you are taking a look at picture and only really seeing a corner of it, which is fallacy at it's finest.

In July 08 alone MS controlled nearly a majority share for all 3rd party software;

Of that, Xbox 360 generated $121 million at retail for third-party publishers, or 42% of share. (July NPD data)

That provides a much better picture than just the handful of games argument. The whole playstation family in July did ~180 million in sales while the 360 alone did ~130 million.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Nafai1123 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

The search feature is so awesome :D

MARCH NPD
360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 752.3K
PS3 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 - Failed to make top 10

360 ARMY OF TWO ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-08 606.1K
PS3 ARMY OF TWO ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-08 224.9K

June NPD
360 BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY ELECTRONIC ARTS 346.8K
npd_chart_june2008.jpg

PS3 didn't chart top 20.

All Japanese games will do better on the PS3. Anything that is made by American or European developers will slant heavily on the 360 with the exception of a GTA or perhaps Madden. Look for this to stay true to form for the rest of the year.

Edge-Online Analysis

Contents :
Page 1: Hardware Sales Analysis
Page 2: MGS4 Won't Make This Year's Top Ten
Page 3: The Truth About Third Party Software Sales
Page 4: PS2 Owners Fail to Show Much Sony Love
Page 5: Wii Puts NCAA Football 09 Over the Top

By the way, from the article :

NCAA PS2 - 140k
NCAA Wii - 40k

Spiegel

Jtyettis said:
Certain games probably other games no. For example I do not see the PS3 version of Madden selling on par with the 360 version next year. For the US, since this is NPD here, that lead of 5.6 million lead isn't really going anywhere. So take a game like Fallout 3, do I really think it is going to sale the same this fall across consoles, neh eh.

Just looking back to last holiday COD4 sold ~3 times as much on 360 since then IIRC. The 360 has actually put more towards it's total base since November than the PS3 has so how in the world would they be selling 3rd party software on par this holiday season with a lead that has actually grown since then?

While people may point to some conclusion about NCAA or SCIV it doesn't really say much at all to the whole picture. For example I would love to see the 3rd party sales of all games since November in the US for each platform since the 360 base has actually grown moreso than the PS3's base. I wouldn't take two games in the top ten for one or a game here or there and say oh we know conclusively what the sales end up being because you are taking a look at picture and only really seeing a corner of it, which is fallacy at it's finest.

In July 08 alone MS controlled nearly a majority share for all 3rd party software;

That provides a much better picture than just handful of games argument The whole playstation family in July did ~180 million while the 360 alone did ~130 million.

:/

I was agreeing with you. Ps3 third party games are not going to sell on par with the 360 versions in USA. Worldwide is another story (but not for Usa/American-oriented games like Madden)

FrankT

Spiegel said:
:/

I was agreeing with you. Ps3 third party games are not going to sell on par with the 360 versions in USA. Worldwide is another story

No, I'm saying even for certain games this fall, i.e. Fallout 3 will sale more WW on the 360. I would imagine that to be the case for both RB2 and GH WT this fall as well. I really just do not see many if really any 3rd party games selling the same this fall WW save maybe Fifa/soccor titles. Unless, of course, it is something that might be decent for the Japan audience as well.

Some argue that year-to-date third party sales are more important than lifetime sales. Presumably, including the first year after a system launches may skew the data. We estimate that the YTD situation is this:

Wii: Third party software accounted for over 52% of Wii software sales, or 13.4 million units

Xbox 360: Third party software accounted for almost 90% of Xbox 360 software sales, or 16.5 million units

We estimate that third party software sales in 2008 are much slower on the PS3 – around 70% of all software sales and around 7 million units. However, we are not aware of any definitive data to help substantiate these estimates.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/in-depth-analysis-games-and-console-sales?page=0%2C0

So YTD third party sales

Xbox 360 16.5 million
Wii 13.4 million
PS3 ~7 million

That would really say everything as far as third party sales being on par this holiday season in the US.

markatisu

Stormbringer said:
By the way, from the article :

NCAA PS2 - 140k
NCAA Wii - 40k

That part is interesting because the Wii had growth, personally I dont think it even deserved the sales it got because it was not up to par with any of the other versions.

Agent Icebeezy said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

The search feature is so awesome :D

MARCH NPD
360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 752.3K
PS3 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2 UBISOFT Mar-08 - Failed to make top 10

360 ARMY OF TWO ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-08 606.1K
PS3 ARMY OF TWO ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-08 224.9K

June NPD
360 BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY ELECTRONIC ARTS 346.8K
npd_chart_june2008.jpg

PS3 didn't chart top 20.

All Japanese games will do better on the PS3. Anything that is made by American or European developers will slant heavily on the 360 with the exception of a GTA or perhaps Madden. Look for this to stay true to form for the rest of the year.

Actually, I think the scope of your statement is far too broad. American games that focus heavily on cooperative play or online play will likely heavily slant on the 360 (due to the hardcore online base that XBL has recruited since last generation that has continued with the 360). Everything else will largely see the 360's slant deteriorate.

Spiegel

Jtyettis said:
No, I'm saying even for certain games this fall, i.e. Fallout 3 will sale more WW on the 360. I would imagine that to be the case for both RB2 and GH WT this fall as well. I really just do not see many if really any 3rd party games sellling the same this fall WW unless it is something that might be decent for the Japan audience as well.
Yeah, you are right (see my edit)

I think that with games like Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge it's going to be close worldwide

Rockband 1 isn't even out in Europe for PS3 afaik . I don't know if 2 is going to be released this year

GH games don't sell good numbers outside of America/UK so obviously the 360 version is going to sell a lot more

Flakster99

beef3483 said:
Any Nintendo system all over again. I don't think Nintendo has ever been the premiere sports game system(not counting NES, which had no competition).

I see your point, and discounting the NES as it relates to your point, with EA and other realistic sports licenses, I agree.

For me, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf on the N64 were played much more, competitively /w other people, than any other sports game before and after. We can thank the Wii for rekindling my enjoyment with realistic, license sports games, and I've been a PC gamer going on 15 years!

Oh yeah, Wii Sports still rocks!

beef3483 said:
Any Nintendo system all over again. I don't think Nintendo has ever been the premiere sports game system(not counting NES, which had no competition).

I've found that the concept of a sports game on Wii is a huge factor in its sales. If a gamer (be it hardcore or casual) hears about a sports game on Wii and immediately thinks "wow, so i can play it like real life?" then it has a much greater chance of success.

This is why Tiger Woods sold best on Wii. SEGA Superstars Tennis did too. The Bigs also did well. Actually, most games that are evolutions of the sports on Wii Sports have done well, since the typical consumer likes the Wii Sports games and goes on to buy deeper, more thorough versions of them.

Of course, quality and marketing also plays a huge role, and NCAA Wii sucked on both accounts. Given its quality, reception and lack of coverage, it was never going to perform well. The sooner EA realises their mistakes, the better.

onipex

Mario said:
The longer term strategy of the developer should totally matter, regardless of whether the publisher wants them to do a game or not. To undertake development of a game for a platform you don't have faith in or that you don't believe has the potential to earn royalties is very shortsighted.

A developer should only take such a deal if there is no other deal to be had.

You have a good point , but developers not having faith in a console that is selling tons of hardware and software is just foolish. The goal of a business is to make money ,so if the Wii is selling more software than the PS3 it would make more business sense to make a core Wii game than a core PS3 game.

Now as a developer I like the PS3 better and have more faith in the console.When the data is slammed on my desk I can clearly see where money is being made and where it is being lost.Doing what I want to do wont keep the lights on if things don't change by the time my game is ready to launch.

Rolf NB

Jokeropia said:

Provide figures. And careful with that present tense. You might want to qualify your sentences with "up until a year ago" or something along those lines.
Every time we got sales figures for both platforms this year, it was the PS3 version that showed a higher attach rate. Anything that may or may not have been remarkable about the XBox 360 userbase's buying habits has evaporated and the advantage now lies with the PS3 audience, as measured by every single multiplatform game that we have seen data for since last November.

If you want to assert something about the present, LTD attach rates, which have accumulated since before the competition was even out and which include stuff like Burger King games, just won't do.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
bcn-ron said:
Provide figures. And careful with that present tense. You might want to qualify your sentences with "up until a year ago" or something along those lines.
Every time we got sales figures for both platforms this year, it was the PS3 version that showed a higher attach rate. Anything that may or may not have been remarkable about the XBox 360 userbase's buying habits has evaporated and the advantage now lies with the PS3 audience, as measured by every single multiplatform game that we have seen data for since last November.

If you want to assert something about the present, LTD attach rates, which have accumulated since before the competition was even out and which include stuff like Burger King games, just won't do.
You really should have read the last 20 or so posts.

FrankT

bcn-ron said:

Here is US YTD 2008 Third Party sales figures, you can get your head around that;

Estimated YTD third party sales:

Xbox 360 16.5 million
Wii 13.4 million
PS3 ~7 million

http://www.edge-online.com/features/in-depth-analysis-games-and-console-sales?page=0,0

Between just the HD twins that is over a 70% share for the 360. So yea, 70/30 would pretty much be a killing.

Quit spouting stuff you have no idea what you are even talking about. It's good these figures were provided as now we can get over the bu, bu, bu, but NCAA and SCIV talk. The entire picture when looked at wholly says another story altogether, and that is exactly why you do not look at just top 10 figures from one month or two as we see just a small picture of the 3rd party software situation month to month.

cjelly said:
You really should have read the last 20 or so posts.

Or this.

D.Lo

titiklabingapat said:
EA did something special by adding that ugly mascot on the front cover of NCAA Wii.
It was a knockout blow to an already crippled lame duck (mixed metaphors FTW).

While not quite as bad, colours and stars all over Madden Wii are along the same lines. I still don't understand having to re-brand Madden Wii - everyone already knows Wii = motion controlls and minigames, why does EA need to add another brand?

Jammy

Banned
Luckyman said:
Gamecube all over again.

Yeah, now if a couple hundred thousand more consumers could be smarter and not buy buggy yearly games the game industry would be great!

Unless you were trying to just be trollish for the sake of being retarded. Why don't you rear your head more in Sales-Age? I'm sure you could actually make informed statements then once in a while. :lol

beef3483 said:

I think you'd be surprised, what with the highest selling sports game this generation being Wii Sports and with all the golf, tennis, and baseball titles on the system.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Jammy said:
I think you'd be surprised, what with the highest selling sports game this generation being Wii Sports and with all the golf, tennis, and baseball titles on the system.
I think that the sports games that are gonna sell on Wii are different to those that will sell on the HD consoles. People who are into the big televised sports probably bought an HDTV to watch them on, and so they are going to want to play games in HD as well. Also games like Madden rely on their ability to as closely mimic real life as possible so the graphics/physics are very important. Wii on the other hand is about as closely mimicking the feel of playing the game, hence why bowling is such a big hit and games like Tiger Woods are successful as they are pretty much stationary games that involve simple arm movements.

Raist

Banned
WTF @ PS3 and PSP > 360

And why the hell are people saying MGS4 tanked ? What was its first month numbers ? 700K or so ? It's the typical frontloaded title. I didn't expect it to still be in the top 10. Still I think it did very well all around the world.

Oblivion said:
Uh....why is this thread growing so short?
NolbertoS said:
Xbox fanboys are still in shock or denial that PS3 has actually beaten them in HW Sales. Initially I never bothered to enter these silly fanboy wars, but now, I'm honestly detesting the Xbox fanboys more and more. Luckily I never entered the NPD thread during last gen, as I'm sure it was full of Nintendo diehards defending the GC like crazy and now the tables have turned.
I have to agree with NolbertoS. A lot of people probably don't want to post in the NPD thread when they see their favorite console selling worse than the competitor. But when it's the other way around they smugly gloat about it. :lol

gantz85

Banned
InterMoniker said:
I have to agree with NolbertoS. A lot of people probably don't want to post in the NPD thread when they see their favorite console selling worse than the competitor. But when it's the other way around they smugly gloat about it. :lol

Goalposts have been moved to software though.

And if the 360 beats the PS3 in hardware in any NPD month, the goalposts get moved back to hardware.

radjago

onipex said:
You have a good point , but developers not having faith in a console that is selling tons of hardware and software is just foolish. The goal of a business is to make money ,so if the Wii is selling more software than the PS3 it would make more business sense to make a core Wii game than a core PS3 game.

Now as a developer I like the PS3 better and have more faith in the console.When the data is slammed on my desk I can clearly see where money is being made and where it is being lost.Doing what I want to do wont keep the lights on if things don't change by the time my game is ready to launch.
But just because software sells well on the Wii doesn't mean that your title in particular will sell well. 3rd party core games haven't fared as well over there as they have on the HD platforms.

radjago said:
But just because software sells well on the Wii doesn't mean that your title in particular will sell well. 3rd party core games haven't fared as well over there as they have on the HD platforms.
Tough luck. Either put in more effort or abandon the Wii. It's up to third partys to decide.

MechDX

InterMoniker said:

Or........

They are waiting for the Holiday season to start when it gets back to the 360 easily outselling the PS3 and the Wii embarrasing both of them sadly.

gantz85

Banned
MechDX said:
Or........

They are waiting for the Holiday season to start when it gets back to the 360 easily outselling the PS3 and the Wii embarrasing both of them sadly.

See, and they come out talking smack.

ziran said:
Wii/DS - FUCK ME astounding! Especially seeing Wii up from last month with no significant releases.

PS3, meh..., obviously. And a significant decline from MGS4-USA-bump, with no excuses valid. LBP, well, all I can say that hasn't already been reasonably said in terms of system selling potential, and it becoming a mass market monster, is, ......

360, well, what do expect for new Xbox? Exactly what every reasonable poster predicted would happen before the system was released, given MS's silly, exactly the same as Xbox, (non) mass market strategy.

PSP, as expected.

I don't think so :(

NPD has the crack down of fuckshittyness!

I mean, come on, just a few fucking bones for the die hardcores of this world?!?! Just to give them a sense of the kind of games they enjoy playing doing enough to allow a sequel, I mean, WOW!! How can anyone be so bitterly mean?

Would it seriously fucking kill them for a few bits when some people have leaked entire monthly sales in detail, which are still available all over the interweb???

No, of course it wouldn't.

NPD used to deliver a lot more but lately they're forced to tone it down thanks to a certain data thief and opportunist. If NPD clients are leaking entire data sets they had better be watching their asses. NPD doesn't take that lightly (trust me, I know from experience).

gantz85

Banned
dialmydrive said:
NPD used to deliver a lot more but lately they're forced to tone it down thanks to a certain data thief and opportunist. If NPD clients are leaking entire data sets they had better be watching their asses. NPD doesn't take that lightly (trust me, I know from experience).

I love how the abomination that is v-g-xxxxx-z highly overestimated the X360's sales week by week and said that this was an extrapolation from their "small sample".. where the FUCK did that sample come from, anecdotes?!

Embarassing shit.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Shacknews said:
PC Gaming 'Far Stronger Than Anyone Has Reported,' Digital Distribution Neared $2 Billion in 2007

The recently formed PC Gaming Alliance industry consortium today unveiled the initial results from its first Horizons Report, highlighting what PCGA president Randy Stude refers to as "incredible growth in online PC Gaming."

According to the report, PC gaming was a $10.7 billion industry in 2007, with sales from digital distribution nearing $2 billion and in-game and web advertising bringing in $800 million. Online PC gaming brought in $4.8 billion, almost double that of retail PC sales.

"Our analysis clearly shows incredible growth in online PC gaming, proof that this industry is far stronger than anyone has reported," explained Stude. "Today's consumers shop where they live--online."

Overall, the study found that growth was driven by online revenue from Asia, which accounted for almost half of the total worldwide sales, and noted that revenues are expected to grow as developers embrace online distribution and other opportunities.

"By pioneering new business models, the PC has quietly remained the single leading platform for games, not only in terms of consumer usage, but revenue generation," commented DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole. "The most fascinating thing about PC gaming is its ability to attract such a diverse audience, both demographically and geographically."
Link

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
gantz85 said:
I love how the abomination that is v-g-xxxxx-z highly overestimated the X360's sales week by week and said that this was an extrapolation from their "small sample".. where the FUCK did that sample come from, anecdotes?!

Embarassing shit.

IIRC it's supposedly between 3-5%, compared to NPD's 60%-ish coverage, so of course it couldn't be as accurate (minus miracles). Nobody is forcing anyone to use ioi's numbers, nobody is paying him for his numbers, so just look at it as a fansite and ignore it if you don't like it.

Top Bottom