• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
dirtmonkey37 said:
Oh, right right. Now I remember. My brain couldn't automatically associate price drop with what really happened.

It's interesting that didn't spur sales.

Outside of us and having a day to digest this. To see that the 360 is doing better year over year and Shane Kim saying that isn't a price cut

The price reduction we announced yesterday is not a system price reduction; I want to be really clear about that because I don't want people to accuse us of doing something that we didn't do.

Should numbers be better? Most definitely but they have loaded up on the back half of the year.

Only Ninja Gaiden 2 and Lost Odyssey was first half
Gears of War 2, Fable 2, VP: Trouble in Paradise, Scene It 2, Lips, BK: Nuts and Bolts, The Movies game.

This lineup in concert with a real price cut should have Microsoft doing substantially better in the second half of this year.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Everyone is talking about LBP first month sales. Uncharted, in November, didn't get off to that much of a hot start. I personally think the game is too smart for the masses. I've stated that previously and I will again. It seems like VP redux, due to the fact that on the exterior, Viva Pinata looks like a family, kid friendly game, but it really isn't. I see this as being the same way. Perhaps they should drop the price like Microsoft has done with the Rare games.

Saint Gregory said:
This encapsulates exactly how I feel about LBP but I've been trying my best to be kind because deep down I actually hope I'm wrong about it. I really liked VP but in the end I couldn't help but wonder who the game was for. It was too cute for hardcores and to deep for kids/casuals and the sales seemed to reflect that. VP had a big marketing campaign (including a cartoon) yet sold less than most expected given it's quality.

I look at LBP the same way. It seems to be practically invented for the kind of gamers who frequent boards like these and the gaming press with its virtues (high prod. values, commmunity sharing of user created content, etc) but it just doesn't strike me to be the kind of game changer that a lot of its fans here think it is. I'll pick it up first day, but I expect to see shelves full of them.

I think both of you are entirely wrong.

The brilliance of Little Big Planet's appeal is that it is both simple and accessible for the casual gamer, yet complex and deep for the hardcore. Little Big Planet is an experience that the consumer can determine their level of involvement. The actual gameplay mechanics are what we've seen since the NES days in terms of platforming. Combine cooperative online play, and you have an experience that many people can enjoy collectively. Finish the single player campaign, and finding new levels is as simple as using Youtube (which certainly isn't too smart for the masses).

But on the opposite spectrum, Little Big Planet also affords gamers to create extremely complex levels on their own accord by themselves or with others.

Games like Viva Pinata ARE NOT what Little Big Planet is. There isn't anything "familiar" about the mechanics of playing Viva Pinata. It is a very foreign experience from the get-go, and because of that it does not have the sort of accessible appeal that instantly grabs your attention like LBP does. This isn't a slight against Viva Pinata (a game that I personally enjoyed considerably), but it is a huge distinction from what LBP represents.

Little Big Planet is the game that keeps on giving and I can see it as a title that every PS3 owner must have.

Agent Icebeezy

Private Hoffman said:

The brilliance of Little Big Planet's appeal is that it is both simple and accessible for the casual gamer, yet complex and deep for the hardcore. Little Big Planet is an experience that the consumer can determine their level of involvement. The actual gameplay mechanics are what we've seen since the NES days in terms of platforming. Combine cooperative online play, and you have an experience that many people can enjoy collectively. Finish the single player campaign, and finding new levels is as simple as using Youtube (which certainly isn't too smart for the masses).

But on the opposite spectrum, Little Big Planet also affords gamers to create extremely complex levels on their own accord by themselves or with others.

Games like Viva Pinata ARE NOT what Little Big Planet is. There isn't anything "familiar" about the mechanics of playing Viva Pinata. It is a very foreign experience from the get-go, and because of that it does not have the sort of accessible appeal that instantly grabs your attention like LBP does. This isn't a slight against Viva Pinata (a game that I personally enjoyed considerably), but it is a huge distinction from what LBP represents.

Little Big Planet is the game that keeps on giving and I can see it as a title that every PS3 owner must have.

Call of Duty 2 sold 250k+ and Perfect Dark Zero sold 160k+ during the launch month of the 360. There were only 325k or so 360s in the wild then. Uncharted sold 117k a year after the PS3 launched. I don't know how many PS3s were sold up to that point, but I know there were way more than 325k PS3s in consumers hands.

There isn't anything familiar with Viva Pinata? It is basically the The Sims in a garden. If something similar to the best selling PC franchise of all time isn't familiar, I don't know what the hell is.

How long does it take to create a level in LBP. 10, 20, 30 minutes? I'll sit through it like I do for my tracks in Trackmania but if everyone wanted games that 'keeps on giving' the whole world would be gaming on PCs. I don't overestimate people's intelligence when it comes to stuff like this. I feel that LBP is too smart for people. It has been getting advertised alongside with MGS4 and GT5:p yet I'm still the only preorder of LBP at my local Gamestop.

Wollan

Agent Icebeezy said:
Call of Duty 2 sold 250k+ and Perfect Dark Zero sold 160k+ during the launch month of the 360. There were only 325k or so 360s in the wild then. Uncharted sold 117k a year after the PS3 launched. I don't know how many PS3s were sold up to that point, but I know there were way more than 325k PS3s in consumers hands.
And Resistance did much better than Uncharted, not an eye-to-eye comparison here.

Zoe

Agent Icebeezy said:
How long does it take to create a level in LBP. 10, 20, 30 minutes? I'll sit through it like I do for my tracks in Trackmania but if everyone wanted games that 'keeps on giving' the whole world would be gaming on PCs. I don't overestimate people's intelligence when it comes to stuff like this. I feel that LBP is too smart for people. It has been getting advertised alongside with MGS4 and GT5:p yet I'm still the only preorder of LBP at my local Gamestop.

A person can get their money's worth out of LBP without ever touching the creation aspect.

Agent Icebeezy

Wollan said:
And Resistance did much better than Uncharted, not an eye-to-eye comparison here.

I bought up Call of Duty 2 and PDZ as games that were similarly hyped and promoted from what I've seen with my own eyes. It wouldn't have been fair to bring up Gears or Resistance because they were hyped and promoted as the go-to games for their respective consoles.

Zoe said:
A person can get their money's worth out of LBP without ever touching the creation aspect.

I very seriously doubt that. The tagline to the game is Play, Create, Share. The creation aspect of LBP is the heart of the game.

Wollan

Agent Icebeezy said:
I very seriously doubt that. The tagline to the game is Play, Create, Share. The creation aspect of LBP is the heart of the game.
60 levels from the get go. Unlimited number of levels online. SP, offline/online co-op. The value can't be questioned even if you don't ever touch the create/share part.

Agent Icebeezy said:

Sales of launch titles are usually inflated for a number of reasons, certainly when bundling is such a popular tactic that almost every single store resorts to these days when a hot launch item is in short supply, not to mention those that purchase a system generally want to have something to play and these popular titles have very little competition at launch (only 20 or so launch titles to pick from, few being of any decent quality usually)

There isn't anything familiar with Viva Pinata? It is basically the The Sims in a garden. If something similar to the best selling PC franchise of all time isn't familiar, I don't know what the hell is.

I didn't realize that you had to make levels in Little Big Planet. As I mentioned already once before, part of the appeal of LBP is not even having to create your own levels if you don't want to, but simply finding the top rated and most popular user developed levels. The comparison made to the PC space is completely unfounded given how radically different the community aspects of this title are integrated and how easy it is to create your own levels. There's nothing that's too complex for the average youtube user and gamer to figure out about Little Big Planet if they don't want to create their own levels. Also, I wouldn't go by your local GameStop pre-orders as any indication of how well Little Big Planet will do nationwide.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I bought up Call of Duty 2 and PDZ as games that were similarly hyped and promoted from what I've seen with my own eyes. It wouldn't have been fair to bring up Gears or Resistance because they were hyped and promoted as the go-to games for their respective consoles.

The "creation" aspect is the foundation upon which the game is structured and by which the community is allowed to grow, but it is by no means a requirement to get your enjoyment out of the title WHATSOEVER. I personally want to get my hands on the creation aspect, but I would have no problem simply being an observer rather than a creator; seeing what amazing things other people have been able to accomplish with this game. There's going to be so much great content that will come from this title that it will never get old. I imagine I'll be booting Little Big Planet up weekly/monthly for the duration of the PS3 lifecycle. I can't say that for any other title, even those that have decent online multiplayer.

Bizzyb

Banned
Nintendo needs to get their shit together with Mario Kart.

I mean sold out and only selling 174k

That shit is UNACCEPTABLE

Loudninja

Agent Icebeezy said:

And that is where you are wrong, you dont have to create a damn thing to fully enjoy the game.

Anybody else wish the LBP marketing force on this forum would back off a little?

The more you hype it, the less chance it has of living up to it.

onipex

SIP YEK NOD said:
Anybody else wish the LBP marketing force on this forum would back off a little?

I hope the game does well, but out of the 20 PS3 owners I know none of them want the game. I know that doesn't mean anything, but I don't get why people have so much hope for this game. The sales should be good , but it will just be another game that sells well and nothing more.

Kusagari

LBP is going to be an amazing game but if it truly does 400k it's first month I will be blown away. I really think you guys shouldn't get your hopes up.

Agent Icebeezy

Loudninja said:
And that is where you are wrong, you dont have to create a damn thing to fully enjoy the game.

Then why was I one of only 74.5k people to purchase Ratchet in October of last year? If what you are saying is that you don't have to create anything, it's a platformer, right? Most people would classify Ratchet as a platformer, the Playstation's brand most well known platformer at at that, not to mention the equity that Ratchet has as a brand.

I understand people want to see this do well. I do, because I like what it is giving us gamers a chance to do, but you all need to temper expectations on this. This is the era where a game that was lauded as game of year in 06 (Okami) and sold 50k the first month while games like Two Worlds and Tenchu can get 100k first month.

We get so wrapped up with this because we are in this bubble like state on the message board. We are the hardcore, but casuals don't see things the same way as us.

Private Hoffman said:

I literally read all of that with my jaw on the ground. I'm not questioning LBP gameplay or it's value, I'm questioning who it's for. It's not for the Halo/Resistance/Killzone set and it's certainly not for the Wii/casual set either given how well quirky, high concept games have fared on that system so it's no slight agaisnt Sony because frankly I don't think it'd be a hit on the Wii either. Side-scrolling platformers on home consoles are not built to sell. I love them, I'd buy one every month if I could, but I understand that they're not what most people are looking for and I've seen nothing to suggest that it's what PS3 consumers are looking for.

That's how it's like VP to me; it's a game without a market... and a good game at that. Is there some PS3 game that I'm not thinking of that's done well enough so far outside of the usual genres that would support this game doing as well as you think it'll do?

Zoe

Agent Icebeezy said:
Then why was I one of only 74.5k people to purchase Ratchet in October of last year? If what you are saying is that you don't have to create anything, it's a platformer, right? Most people would classify Ratchet as a platformer, the Playstation's brand most well known platformer at at that, not to mention the equity that Ratchet has as a brand.

1. The userbase was much much smaller than it is today. We've already gone over this.
2. 3D platformer != 2.5D platformer
3. The style is completely different, and a lot of stock is being placed into the sackboy's visual appeal. That's hardly the case with Ratchet.

Flakster99

SIP YEK NOD said:

I understand what you're saying, I felt the same way back before SSBB was released. As far as LBP is concerned, you have to expect it due to it's combination of excitement and fanboy ammunition (validation, sales, bs from all sides of the fence), the hype is only going to build.

I'm not personally feeling over-hyped. I hunted down pertinent info that I needed to know, realized the title was for me, and since I've been on the down low information wise, threads and posts wise.

31 Flavas

Banned
Struct09 said:
400k for a new IP being released mid to end October? I'm not taking a ban bet either, but I highly doubt it. I think we'll be lucky to see LBP break 200k for its first NPD.

I want to see LBP do well, but I think it will be a harder sell to the casual crowd.
Especially since Sony has yet to clone the Wiimote and because a PS3 costs 4 or $500. No casual is ever going to buy a PS3 for LBP. I say that LBP is a casual game designed for core gamers.

But what do I know, i'm just a Nintendo fanboy. What is the sell rate of "core" or "arcade" 360's to casuals for games like Uno or Pacman? or for that matter viva pinata?

Haunted

I'm very much looking forward to both LBP and Spore, and I'm not much of a creator/editor type of guy. I am interested in the 1% of amazing stuff other people will put out, but I do hope and expect both games to deliver a solid to great experience without having to dabble in the creator/editor parts myself.

That said, and since this thread is about sales, I do have to question some the high sales expectations for LBP voiced in here, the PS3 base does not seem like the perfect demographic for this type of game (based on the type of games that have been successful on the PS3 so far). The comparisons to Viva Pinata are definitely valid.

I wish it all the success in the world, though. Such a cool game.

Bizzyb said:
Nintendo needs to get their shit together with Mario Kart.

I mean sold out and only selling 174k

That shit is UNACCEPTABLE
Too many people want to buy it!

Haunted One said:
Too many people want to buy it!

More like Nintendo can sell it elsewhere (Euro, JPN) for more $.

And classic avatar, so retro. I might have to trot out my original ZoE Anubis avvy. Wait, that's not the original, who is that? :lol

basik

TheGrayGhost said:
Holy crap is that floaty. Looks more floaty than Luigi in SMB2 :lol

yea I noticed that too from some footage of the game a year or 2 ago... It's things like that that makes the difference between mario/sonic and all the other platformer clones that died out awhile ago. they even paid a ton of attention to the jumping in nsmb, it just feels right.

Reality check time.

Limitless user-created content is nice and all. But you have to give people a "reason" to want to play a game like LBP again and again and again. I see the potential and the creativity... but where's the hook? Apart from "oooh sackboys are cute". 'Cause I sure as heck am not seeing it in the gameplay.

Another 2-D platformer with limitless user-created content is already out and boasts some pretty solid gameplay behind it... it's called N+.

You're going to have to "hook" casuals on the idea of creating 2-D worlds that they inherently WANT to show off. Bribing them with $$ gives me the impression that Sony doesn't have a better marketing angle to work with.

Heck, you'll even need to "hook" most hardcore gamers on the idea that creating levels in LBP offers them more enjoyment than getting together with their friends to play Gears of War 2, Rock Band, Wii Sports or Smash Bros.

The Sims has a hook.
WoW has a hook.
What's LBP's hook?

'Cause if the user-creation tools don't enable gamers to create 2-D levels that are fundamentally different and totally unique in the gameplay department than any 2-D platforming experience that preceded it, you're going to have trouble.

Mario isn't in the title of this game. And those ComicCon YouTube videos didn't exactly convey "fun gameplay".

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Reality check time.

Limitless user-created content is nice and all. But you have to give people a "reason" to want to play a game like LBP again and again and again. I see the potential and the creativity... but where's the hook? Apart from "oooh sackboys are cute". 'Cause I sure as heck am not seeing it in the gameplay.

Another 2-D platformer with limitless user-created content is already out and boasts some pretty solid gameplay behind it... it's called N+.

You're going to have to "hook" casuals on the idea of creating 2-D worlds that they inherently WANT to show off. Bribing them with $$ gives me the impression that Sony doesn't have a better marketing angle to work with.

Heck, you'll even need to "hook" most hardcore gamers on the idea that creating levels in LBP offers them more enjoyment than getting together with their friends for Gears of War 2, Rock Band, Wii Sports or Smash Bros.

The Sims has a hook.
WoW has a hook.
What's LBP's hook?

'Cause if the user-creation tools don't enable gamers to create 2-D levels that are fundamentally different and totally unique in the gameplay department than any 2-D platforming experience that preceded it, you're going to have trouble.

Mario isn't in the title of this game. And those ComicCon YouTube videos didn't exactly convey "fun gameplay".
Coming from the Xbot. Hey, I'm almost ready to buy one but to try and downplay LBP is just nuts. This is easily GOTY right there. Unless you're telling me that Gears 2, R2, Fallout 3, or any other game is bringing the package LBP is. You may not be hyped but a hell of a lot of people are. Remember, I am on the verge to join your ranks but can still be rational.

felipeko

Askia47 said:
What do you mean? I was wondering how SC: Legends did on Wii, just to see how it did what do you mean by " does not mean port or spin off" ? Im just wondering thats all.

Do you mean if it were released alongside the 360 and PS3 version?
I mean: when someone asks for a "Wii version", is not asking for a "port or a spin off", is asking for a well developed, and marketed Wii version, just like the ones on PS3 and X360.

I don't get why SC: Legends sales mean anything on this...

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Reality check time.

Limitless user-created content is nice and all. But you have to give people a "reason" to want to play a game like LBP again and again and again.

No you don't, you just have to give them a reason to buy it. If you have a PS3 already I think they've given enough reason for a good chunk to buy it.

Or were we talking about something else?

DiddyBop

we're arguing about LBP now? i think it will sell decently off of hype in the first month. many core gamers will purchase it but i dont think it has that casual staying power. i doubt soccer moms and 10 yr olds want to create levels,and i doubt they will be good enough to do so.

im sure sony has big plans for this game though,and they know exactly which demographic they are going after. its being released during the holiday seasons o that will also help boost sales. all in all i dont see this game selling more than MGS4.

jimbo

Banned
DiddyBop said:
we're arguing about LBP now? i think it will sell decently off of hype in the first month. many core gamers will purchase it but i dont think it has that casual staying power. i doubt soccer moms and 10 yr olds want to create levels,and i doubt they will be good enough to do so.

im sure sony has big plans for this game though,and they know exactly which demographic they are going after. its being released during the holiday seasons o that will also help boost sales. all in all i dont see this game selling more than MGS4.

There was someone that thought LBP would do better than MGS4?

This is why I like MC threads better.

Saint Gregory said:
I literally read all of that with my jaw on the ground. I'm not questioning LBP gameplay or it's value, I'm questioning who it's for. It's not for the Halo/Resistance/Killzone set and it's certainly not for the Wii/casual set either given how well quirky, high concept games have fared on that system so it's no slight agaisnt Sony because frankly I don't think it'd be a hit on the Wii either. Side-scrolling platformers on home consoles are not built to sell. I love them, I'd buy one every month if I could, but I understand that they're not what most people are looking for and I've seen nothing to suggest that it's what PS3 consumers are looking for.

That's how it's like VP to me; it's a game without a market... and a good game at that. Is there some PS3 game that I'm not thinking of that's done well enough so far outside of the usual genres that would support this game doing as well as you think it'll do?

There is nothing to compare Little Big Planet to.

Not Ratchet.

Not Viva.

Not Banjo.

Nothing. The community/co-op experience is simply unrivaled by any other game. One thing that's interesting about some of the best selling games this generation is that a significant portion of them sell entirely based upon their online play. Titles like Gears, Halo, and CoD might as well not even have a single player at all. People don't rent these games; they buy them because they offer much more entertainment than a simple single player experience like a Ratchet, Viva, or any other similar game.

Granted, I'm not saying this game will sell 1 million+ first month like an MGS4 or a Gears of War 2. I don't think the audience is an ideal fit necessarily, and it's a new IP... I'm just saying that it will have a decent first month sales (~400k), and I'm hoping (though, not 100% confident) that word of mouth and praise from the press will allow this game to continue to do well in November and December.

I think Sony has done a good job of getting a lot of exposure about this game to the hardcore PS3 audience and I think it will resonate with a large portion of it. Larger than many believe. This game has much wider appeal than Ratchet.

Private Hoffman said:

Not Ratchet.

Not Viva.

Not Banjo.

Nothing. The community/co-op experience is simply unrivaled by any other game. One thing that's interesting about some of the best selling games this generation is that a significant portion of them sell entirely based upon their online play. Titles like Gears, Halo, and CoD might as well not even have a single player at all. People don't rent these games; they buy them because they offer much more entertainment than a simple single player experience like a Ratchet, Viva, or any other similar game.

Granted, I'm not saying this game will sell 1 million+ first month like an MGS4 or a Gears of War 2. I don't think the audience is an ideal fit necessarily, and it's a new IP... I'm just saying that it will have a decent first month sales (~400k), and I'm hoping (though, not 100% confident) that word of mouth and praise from the press will allow this game to continue to do well in November and December.

I think Sony has done a good job of getting a lot of exposure about this game to the hardcore PS3 audience and I think it will resonate with a large portion of it. Larger than many believe. This game has much wider appeal than Ratchet.
I bought CoD4 and GoW for the single player, I might be in the minority but then again Neogaf and hardcore gamers in general is a minority.

Redd

Man I just don't see LBP selling as much as many here believe it will. If it cracks a million in North America alone it will go beyond my expectations. Still I'm looking forward to the many Gaf member created levels because all the ones I'll make will probably suck thanks to my lack of imagination.

fernoca

Yeah..as much as I love the whole concept and characters of LittleBigPlanet..
The game is scheduled to be relesed in around 2 months..and outside the world wide web..of gamers..noone knows the game even exists..or even cares about it.

I'd love to see the game doing great, but ..considering that even a Wii game (Blast Works) [on the top selling/hotest console right now] already has the whole "play, create, share" concept..(except the cute/awesome visuals)..and that was basically ignored by not only the same Wii users that hyped it for months, but also the users worldwide...it's kinda dissapointing seeing many around here putting so much faith into a game that will probably (and sadly) end being ignored..

I'd love to be wrong, but seeing how the game is being released close to the multi-console Fallout 3 and against Xbox 360s Fable II..who knows what's going to happen.

Agent Icebeezy

fernoca said:
Yeah..as much as I love the whole concept and characters of LittleBigPlanet..
The game is scheduled to be relesed in around 2 months..and outside the world wide web..of gamers..noone knows the game even exists..or even cares about it.

I'd love to see the game doing great, but ..considering that even a Wii game (Blast Works) [on the top selling/hotest console right now] already has the whole "play, create, share" concept..(except the cute/awesome visuals)..and that was basically ignored by not only the same Wii users that hyped it for months, but also the users worldwide...it's kinda dissapointing seeing many around here putting so much faith into a game that will probably (and sadly) end being ignored..

I'd love to be wrong, but seeing how the game is being released close to the multi-console Fallout 3 and against Xbox 360s Fable II..who knows what's going to happen.

October is Guitar Hero 4 month.

RobertM

LBP's success still depends on marketing, because it already has the hardcore by the balls and all it needs to do is garner the attention of the casual.

Agent Icebeezy

Jtyettis said:
+ Rock Band 2

Probably will one of the most interesting top 10 SW threads ever.

A large part of that is the 360 platform owner such as myself picking up RB2 in September

Deku said:
When and Why did the July NPD thread turn into a giant troll on LBP.

NPD threads always turn into a giant trolling of something (usually Wii) so this month it's LBP.

Private Hoffman said:

Not Ratchet.

Not Viva.

Not Banjo.

I really don't know what else to say because it's not like I don't want the game to do well. The only thing I hoped to do was temper the expectations of those who seemed a little over invested (not pointing any fingers) in the success of this this title. If the game sells more than two hundred thousand first month I for one will see that as success for a game like this.

RobertM said:
LBP's success still depends on marketing, because it already has the hardcore by the balls and all it needs to do is garner the attention of the casual.

Not really, I don't see how you can convey the selling points of this game through traditional marketing. If it's a hit it's going to be through word of mouth and non-gaming media attention.

FrankT

Agent Icebeezy said:
A large part of that is the 360 platform owner such as myself picking up RB2 in September

True, however RB2 Wii and PS3 are out in October as well as the full bundle for the 360 IIRC. With those GH WT, Fallout 3, Fable 2, LBP and other notables it is going to be one crazy month,

fernoca

Saint Gregory said:
I really don't know what else to say because it's not like I don't want the game to do well. The only thing I hoped to do was temper the expectations of those who seemed a little over invested (not pointing any fingers) in the success of this this title. If the game sells more than two hundred thousand first month I for one will see that as success for a game like this.
That's the thing..
No matter the final numbers, you''ll see the whining, complaning, crying in November on October's NPD-day.. :p ..either because sales were too high, or too low, or just average, or hardware was low, or just flat..the game will need to do 1.5 million in software (i.e. more than GTAIV debut), and the PS3 to beat the Wii in hardware (over 500k), so noone complains. :p

Agent Icebeezy

fernoca said:
What's this "Guitar Hero" you're talking about? Is it like God of War?

The Guitar Hero that is going to serve ownage in October 2008 like it did in October 2007

Top 10 SW
01. 360 HALO 3 * MICROSOFT (CORP) 433.8K
02. 360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUIT ACTIVISION (CORP) 383.2K
03. WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUIT ACTIVISION (CORP) 286.3K
04. PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUIT ACTIVISION (CORP) 271.1K
05. NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA 262.8K
06. WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 239.7K
07. 360 HALF LIFE 2: EPISODE 2 THE ORANGE BOX ELECTRONIC ARTS 238.4K
08. PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) 231.7K
09. PS2 FIFA SOCCER 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 129.7K
10. NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA 116.9K

Redd

fernoca said:
That's the thing..
No matter the final numbers, you''ll see the whining, complaning, crying in November on October's NPD-day.. :p ..either because sales were too high, or too low, or just average, or hardware was low, or just flat..the game will need to do 1.5 million in software (i.e. more than GTAIV debut), and the PS3 to beat the Wii in hardware (over 500k), so noone complains. :p

Sorry for still contributing in derailing the July 2008 NPD but this is all I'm hoping for. If they can sell that much in a month it's a success imo. Don't particularly care about all console sells crap as long as the game does well.

justchris

bcn-ron said:
Yes and no. Prospective buyers might not be sold on that feature, but the press has always been absolutely enamoured by user-generated content, and it will help both the ratings and the buzz they produce through their podcasts, previews, blogs, whatever else they use nowadays to reach out to readers.

I think there is some misunderstanding of the scope of the point I was trying to make. I was not discussing the success of LBP as an individual software title. I think it will do fairly well. I was discussing the success of LBP as a seller of hardware, which I think it has the potential for, because it adds something to the PS3 library that it doesn't have, and which might attract new users.

And for attracting new users to the hardware, I think user-created content will be a hard sell.

Saint Gregory said:

Actually, that's yet to be completely tested. Let's see how Warioland Shake It! does in September? It cratered softly in japan (not a complete bomb since no price collapse so far), but maybe it will do better in the West. Which, of course, doesn't mean that there'll be a market for sidescrollers on the PS3, but I don't know that we can equiviocally say that sidescrollers on home consoles are not built to sell just yet. We don't have enough data (we need more DD sales numbers :( ).

---

Another thing about user created content. That's a feature of Guitar Hero 4 coming out also in October. How do we think that's going to affect the sales of GH4? If it's a non-factor for GH4 vs RB2, what are the chances it'll be a worthwhile selling point for LBP?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
fernoca said:
That's the thing..
yeah, too bad none of that is going to happen. October is going to be a clusterfuck like none have seen before. Gears 2, Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero 4, LBP, plus whatever else Nintendo has. it's just going to be nuts. my bet is that Gears will sell the most with a couple million, but the Wii will have the highest software sales overall. LBP will do decently, but not amazingly, GH4 will consume, RB2, not so much, and insanity will go on as scheduled when NPD day comes in November.

as to this month's numbers, not bad. about what was expected. Nintendo continues to destroy all, and life goes on. this fall's sales age threads will be awesome.

Top Bottom