• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

Hammer24 said:
On the other hand I fully expect the console manufacturers to leak us the numbers - the race is much too close for them not to brag over every single small "victory" they get.
So we'll continue to get PlayStation Brand numbers.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sharp said:
I predict: Kittonwy becomes GAF's new official source of numbers.
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif

(Apologies to Kittonwy...)

JoshuaJSlone said:
So we'll continue to get PlayStation Brand numbers.

:lol

Any words from the mods about what will happen if there is no media release? Where will this leave sales-age, NPD prediction charts and all those precious gifs?

donny2112

pickwick said:
2 words : f*** NPD

No, one word. And it's a website. And it's banned on GAF (for good reason). And it might become the only source of "data" we have to discuss. :(

NPD - Pushing people to use VG****** any way they can*
:(

* -
Reserves the right to take this back if GAF isn't included in this Media lockdown, but, unfortunately, I expect GAF to be included.

It seems everyone missed that N'Gai gave us a shout-out...

N'Gai Croal said:
As for October and November software predictions--what is this, NeoGAF?

Though it's odd he referred to the HW prediction thread when referring to SW predictions. *shrug*

As for NPD, I'm sure you all know how I feel about it, but please allow me to make it perfectly clear.

shakefist.gif
shakefist.gif
shakefist.gif
shakefist.gif
shakefist.gif

donny2112 said:
No, one word. And it's a website. And it's banned on GAF (for good reason). And it might become the only source of "data" we have to discuss. :(

NPD - Pushing people to use VG****** any way they can*
:(

* -
Reserves the right to take this back if GAF isn't included in this Media lockdown, but, unfortunately, I expect GAF to be included.

ioi has even more reason to be distressed than anyone at GAF. Without NPD, his numbers are going to be really, really fucking off.

titiklabingapat said:
If true, fuck NPD, let the gaf leaking begin!

GAF will be a total sellout if we simply agree and take it willingly.us

What's sonycowboy's take on all this?

Leaks by members will lead to bans. Just as if with any copyright infringement (scans, etc).

That being said, I personally think we'll continue to see HW numbers, but we'll see.

Brakara

Lightning said:
Well, I love this news. We can talk more about games and hopefully have a less pissing contest while doing so.

You don't really believe that, do you?

Less factual numbers just means shittier discussions. Case in point: PAL sales threads.

[NDS] 432,000
[WII] 400,000
[360] 330,000
[PSP] 210,000
[PS2] 173,000
[PS3] 123,000
[GBA] 64,000

I've got a writeup of the predictions over at the blog.

This really blows about the numbers, though. Hopefully Sonycowboy is right.

donny2112

We'll still do rankings on whatever numbers come out in PR statements for October. I don't think we'll do a November hardware prediction thread, though, unless something changes with NPD. If things stay the way they're looking now, the December prediction thread will become a Q4 prediction thread. I will post any hardware numbers that get released in PR statements for October and November in that prediction thread, so it'll sort of be cheating. It's what it looks like we get, though, so we can still try to make the most of it.

[360] 280K
[GBA] 80K
[NDS] 392K
[PS2] 212K
[PS3] 104K
[PSP] 208K
[WII] 440K

Lightning

Banned
Brakara said:
You don't really believe that, do you?

Less factual numbers just means shittier discussions. Case in point: PAL sales threads.
No I don't. My head must have exploded when posting that. Please excuse that post, don't know what I was doing with that post. Honestly, I can't explain that.

Anyway, my predictions:

PS3 - 156k
360 - 430k
Wii - 450k
DS - 510k
PSP - 280k

RevoDS

So...

[WII] 450,000
[NDS] 420,000
[360] 360,000
[PSP] 235,000
[PS2] 180,000
[PS3] 95,000
[GBA] 65,000

beerbelly

Banned
That's too bad. NPD sales numbers do inspire confidence for people owning consoles (if the numbers are respectable) and it's definitely a form of viral marketing to promote more sales.

Jiggy

I'm skeptical despite IGN, but oh well.

[360] 290,505
[GBA] 62,131
[NDS] 393,006
[PS2] 164,825
[PS3] 96,767
[PSP] 242,090
[WII] 410,850

Sharp said:
Hm, that doesn't really jive with what driley was saying about companies only being allowed to release data about their own products. Wacky!

IGN isn't just a regular media outlet that will get NPD's press release though, they're part of a rather large company that pays for the data.

Even if they don't (or can't) share it all with us, we can be sure we'll be kept up to date.

Sharp

Sho_Nuff82 said:
IGN isn't just a regular media outlet that will get NPD's press release though, they're part of a rather large company that pays for the data.

Even if they don't (or can't) share it all with us, we can be sure we'll be kept up to date.
Right, but driley said something along the lines of, "neither Nintendo nor THQ can attach numbers to Microsoft's hardware or software sales" without being given the go-ahead from the company in question, which would make it odd if IGN could release all the hardware data but the companies didn't do it themselves in a press release.

Top Bottom