• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Speevy

Banned
legend166 said:
I think it's interesting that Wii Music is the first Wii game that GAF seemed to agree was going to sell like crazy, and then it sold poorly.

GAF thinking you'll do well is the kiss of death.

Everyone knew Wii Fit would be big. I thought Nintendogs would bomb, I'm stupid obviously.

donny2112

Speevy said:
Animal Crossing GCN sold a million worldwide,

Considering it sold a million in the U.S., I think that's probably the case. :p I want to say that if you combine the different versions released in Japan, it gets most of the way to 1 million there, as well.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
It eventually sold a million. I'll add that this is something we would probably never know in this day and age. When a game drops off the Top 10, it might as well never sell another copy as far as we know. :/

Yeah I was looking at NPD Data from 2002 and 2005 and what we get now for public information is just insane compared to what we used to get (We used to get Top 20 at the min, and Top 5-10 for every single console)

Its too bad too because everyone knows a lot of Wii and almost all DS game sales take place in the 11-50 range

dionysus

Yaldog
Amir0x said:
maybe you guys can manufacture some creepy poster who streams an endless amount of charts and graphs for the NPD thread if you want to really discussion sales even more :p

PantherLotus tries. But the difference is the MC thread is 5-10 pages on average, and this one is 55 pages on average. To turn the tide of this thread you would need at least 10 PantherLotus's producing charts.

Speevy

Banned
donny2112 said:
Considering it sold a million in the U.S., I think that's probably the case. :p I want to say that if you combine the different versions released in Japan, it gets most of the way to 1 million there, as well.

I always combined sales from the US and Japan when calculating Gamecube sales, because there were several games which got most of the way there in the US, and with that Japan boost they were million sellers.

Yes Boss!

markatisu said:
Its too bad too because everyone knows a lot of Wii and almost all DS game sales take place in the 11-50 range

No kidding, almost every DS and Wii game I buy (2-4 per month) never even chart, ever.

QUIXAND 89

Neo Member
freddy said:
Yea I was looking forward to this game maybe pushing me to buy a PS3 but the floaty physics just killed it for me. It feels like playing a game with a worn out n64 controller.

I had the same reaction at first. You see past it after a while.

Jammy

Banned
Wii Music will still reach a million worldwide with ease. Wherever it lands LTD... who knows? The game's going on 200,000 in Japan and I full expect Europe to be the biggest region for the game, kind of like how Wii Fit, Nintendogs, and Brain Age were the biggest there, too.

Given development costs, etc. the game is nowhere near a bomb, but it's also not the "Wii ____" in terms of sales. I'm sure tons of companies would want to invest that amount into a game and have it sell those numbers. Still, this is not the usual Nintendo hit for the holidays. I fully expect Animal Crossing: City Folk to do better, even though it seems like they took the lazy way out on that, too.

markatisu

Jammy said:
Wii Music will still reach a million worldwide with ease. Wherever it lands LTD... who knows? The game's going on 200,000 in Japan and I full expect Europe to be the biggest region for the game, kind of like how Wii Fit, Nintendogs, and Brain Age were the biggest there, too.

It will probably get close, if it can get to 300-500k in Japan. Its almost at 200k or past it and if it stays around the Top 30 it could limp to 300k before the year is out

It should get to at least 300-400k in the US if it has any "legs' (which we may not know till Jan or Feb unless someone leaks numbers because I doubt it will be in the Top 10 ever)

So not a "Wii" success in comparison to Wii Fit and Wii Sports, but certainly on the same lines as Big Brain Academy Wii

donny2112

Jammy said:
I fully expect Animal Crossing: City Folk to do better, even though it seems like they took the lazy way out on that, too.

Sort of like how they took the lazy way out with making Animal Crossing: Wild World. Oh, wait. It must've been a lot of work to remove all those cool GameCube features for the DS version. My bad.

:(

Amir0x said:
maybe you guys can manufacture some creepy poster who streams an endless amount of charts and graphs for the NPD thread if you want to really discussion sales even more :p

That reminds me, where is JoshuaJSlone?

matmanx1 said:
I also dont think Motorstorm sales ticked up significantly until later. It had some legs. Yeah it started off strong but with the absence of good first year PS3 software it had much less competition and got picked in alot of cases just because it wasnt junk.
Most of its sales were because it started being bundled with the PS3.

Jokeropia said:
I couldn't disagree more. I've gotten at least 20-25 hours out of it in just singleplayer. Multiplayer I don't know how much.

What in the world have you been doing for 20-25 hours in Wii Sports?!? I exhausted any single-player fun there was to be had in the first week, though it did last me a good year for multiplayer.

legend166 said:
I think it's interesting that Wii Music is the first Wii game that GAF seemed to agree was going to sell like crazy, and then it sold poorly.

GAF thinking you'll do well is the kiss of death.

Hey, I never thought it would do well!

freddy

Banned
QUIXAND 89 said:
I had the same reaction at first. You see past it after a while.
Yea but there's too may good games around already to worry about teaching myself to like a game with controls that just don't gel with me. I'll buy Mushroom Men on Wii for my platforming fix for now. That game is looking great.

dammitmattt said:
What in the world have you been doing for 20-25 hours in Wii Sports?!? I exhausted any single-player fun there was to be had in the first week, though it did last me a good year for multiplayer.
I suppose different people have different experiences with different things. I'm a bit shocked too, mind you.

Jammy said:

Given development costs, etc. the game is nowhere near a bomb, but it's also not the "Wii ____" in terms of sales. I'm sure tons of companies would want to invest that amount into a game and have it sell those numbers. Still, this is not the usual Nintendo hit for the holidays. I fully expect Animal Crossing: City Folk to do better, even though it seems like they took the lazy way out on that, too.

How do you know what the development costs were and why do you assume it was so dirt-cheap to make? It feels like Nintendo has been tinkering with it and refining it forever, so I wouldn't be surprised if it cost a lot more to make than it appears.

dammitmattt said:

How many medals did you get?

Yes Boss!

dammitmattt said:
How do you know what the development costs were and why do you assume it was so dirt-cheap to make? It feels like Nintendo has been tinkering with it and refining it forever, so I wouldn't be surprised if it cost a lot more to make than it appears.

I still believe Wii Music has been one of Nintendo's most expensive games to produce. For those with the game this is abundantly clear.

freddy said:
Yea but there's too may good games around already to worry about teaching myself to like a game with controls that just don't gel with me. I'll buy Mushroom Men on Wii for my platforming fix for now. That game is looking great.

So, if you don't own a PS3, how do you know how it controls?

...enjoy Mushroom Men.

Private Hoffman said:

...enjoy Mushroom Men.
You can't imagine any scenario wherein someone who doesn't own a PS3 could play Little Big Planet? Do you ever go outside?

Count Dookkake said:
Everyone knows the controls are floaty shit.

Just like everyone knows that Wii Music is not fun.

One game has a 9.5 on metacritic

The other game has 6.2

I'll let you figure out which is which. Somehow, the somewhat 'floaty' controls aren't that big of a deal once you adjust, yet the other having horrible midi sounds with no skill or talent involved at all, making it sound like an incoherent mess most of the time with friends IS a big deal.

freddy

Banned
Private Hoffman said:

...enjoy Mushroom Men.
You don't have friends who own different stuff than you do? Come on, not everyone is wrapped up in system wars enough to lie about things.

onipex

manueldelalas said:
I would expect that multi-platform owners buy the PS3 or 360 version of the game instead of the Wii one because of the better online system and better graphics, and the Wii-only owners, in their majority non-hardcore gamers will buy the game in small quantities.

I expect the Wii version of the game to sell considerably worse than the HD counterparts.

I think that comparing a multiplatform hardcore franchise through the 3 consoles is a disadvantage for Wii numbers for that reason, and the only comparable 3rd party multiplatform releases we should compare to see the difference of 3rd party success are games that have no special advantage on any platform and are released at the same time (i.e. Guitar Hero is a good comparison, Rock Band 2 is not, COD5 is not, etc).

Didn't COD3 sell better on the Wii than it did on the PS3? I will conceded that out of the gate the sales for COD5 will most likely be much worst on the Wii, but it could reach respectable numbers. I wont be surprised if the numbers start and end bad though.

I wonder if COD5 will get anywhere close to COD4 numbers?

onipex said:
Didn't COD3 sell better on the Wii than it did on the PS3? I will conceded that out of the gate the sales for COD5 will most likely be much worst on the Wii, but it could reach respectable numbers. I wont be surprised if the numbers start and end bad though.

I wonder if COD5 will get anywhere close to COD4 numbers?

CoD3 launched alongside the PS3

A better comparison would be for CoD4 numbers, where it sold multiple millions on the PS3 and 360. The Wii version of CoD5 is going to do way worse than the PS3 and 360.

Private Hoffman said:
One game has a 9.5 on metacritic

The other game has 6.2

I'll let you figure outl which is which. Somehow, the somewhat 'floaty' controls aren't that big of a deal once you adjust, yet the other having horrible midi sounds with no skill or talent involved at all, making it sound like an incoherent mess most of the time with friends IS a big deal.

One game is fun to play.

And the other is floaty shit.

Sorry, but it sucks. :lol

It is pretty to look at though.

Count Dookkake said:
One game is fun to play.

Aww...someone got mad with those review scores.

I'm sure if it were on the Wii, you'd be all over it.

Sorry, it seems like the critics tend to agree with me regarding the whole LBP/Wii Music debate.

Wii Music isn't some diamond in the rough game that no one understands. If I want something that requires such precision and dedication to sound good, I'll take up a real instrument and not Wii Music. And it'll actually sound good (not compressed midi garbage) when I actually get skilled at it. I'm glad Nintendo's experiment finally failed with that one.

Eteric Rice

Count Dookkake said:
One game is fun to play.

It is pretty to look at though.

What games are you guys bitching about now?

Edit: Oh, Wii Music and LBP? Wtf...

One is shit, one has a cool level editor, but is floaty as shit.

Debate over.

markatisu

Private Hoffman said:
CoD3 launched alongside the PS3

A better comparison would be for CoD4 numbers, where it sold multiple millions on the PS3 and 360. The Wii version of CoD5 is going to do way worse than the PS3 and 360.

COD3 sold over time on the Wii though, that was where we all started to find out about the Wii's ability to promote "legs" in its game sales, and in the end it had almost outsold the PS3 version of COD3 by 2:1

Also keep in mind COD4 did just OK on PS3 compared to the 360, the 360 version remained in the Top 10 of NPD month after month, the PS3 version did not (it charted in Nov NPD and thats it).

Thats not to say it was bad or anything but do not portray the PS3 version of COD4 as an utter jugernaut because it was not, even with its sales in Nov and Dec it was only the 3rd best selling PS3 game as of Aug 2008, MGS4 and GTAIV with their few months of sales easily surpassed COD4 on the PS3 and those 2 games did not go further than 1.5-2 million

So while I do not think the Wii version will be a massive hit it may very well line up near the PS3 version while both get utterly destroyed by the 360 edition

markatisu said:
COD3 sold over time on the Wii though, that was where we all started to find out about the Wii's ability to promote "legs" in its game sales, and in the end it had almost outsold the PS3 version of COD3 by 2:1

Also keep in mind COD4 did just OK on PS3 compared to the 360, the 360 version remained in the Top 10 of NPD month after month, the PS3 version did not. Thats not to say it was bad or anything but do not portray the PS3 version of COD4 as an utter jugernaut because it was not, even with its sales in Nov and Dec it was only the 3rd best selling PS3 game as of Aug 2008

So while I do not think the Wii version will be a massive hit it may very well line up near the PS3 version while both get utterly destroyed by the 360 edition

CoD4 did not do just "ok" on the PS3. It did extremely well. I'm not sure what being in the top 10 rank has to do with anything.

It did better on the 360, but it sold millions on the PS3 alone. 444k, 500-600k, 140k, 99-160k for its first 4 months in the US.

Taking into account Europe, and it has done 2-3 million in total right now on the PS3.

markatisu

Private Hoffman said:
It did better on the 360, but it sold millions on the PS3 alone. 444k, 500-600k, 140k, 99-160k for its first 4 months in the US.

Taking into account Europe, and it has done 2-3 million in total right now on the PS3.

If you take into account just US it did not surpass 2 million, as of Aug 2008 it was still behind MGS4 and GTAIV in total sales and those 2 games had not even crossed 2 million

COD4 on the 360 outsold it by almost 3:1 and I expect that to repeat

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
Sort of like how they took the lazy way out with making Animal Crossing: Wild World. Oh, wait. It must've been a lot of work to remove all those cool GameCube features for the DS version. My bad.

:(

But they gave it portability. Will people be receptive without that and a real jump in what the game can do.? AC has tons of potential for all sorts of cool ideas, especially socially. But Nintendo seems to like taking baby steps

markatisu said:
If you take into account just US it did not surpass 2 million, as of Aug 2008 it was still behind MGS4 and GTAIV in total sales and those 2 games had not even crossed 2 million

COD4 on the 360 outsold it by almost 3:1 and I expect that to repeat

Infinity Ward reported sales of over 10 million, assuming a 3:1 split (which probably isn't accurate overall, just in the US), then the title would have easily sold over 2 million world wide on the PS3.

I think those are pretty good numbers, and certainly better than any Wii version of Call of Duty would achieve.

jibblypop

Banned
Just more about Little Big Planet. I played it with my girlfriend last week. She loved how cute it was but found it very difficult to control and play. I think that reaction will be very common and will stop it from having the appeal of other platform games.
they should have put more focus into tighter controls that really appeal to female gamers because that could have really made it a much bigger hit then whatever it ends up selling.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Private Hoffman said:
Infinity Ward reported sales of over 10 million, assuming a 3:1 split (which probably isn't accurate overall, just in the US), then the title would have easily sold over 2 million world wide on the PS3.

I think those are pretty good numbers, and certainly better than any Wii version of Call of Duty would achieve.

Is that taking into account PC sales?

jibblypop

Banned
Private Hoffman said:

Is someone really claiming that the wii version will sell more than the ps3 version? of course it won't!
It could still sell enough to make a good profit and be worthwhile for the publisher though.

HK-47 said:
Is that taking into account PC sales?

Yes. Unfortunately, there's no PC sales date available for me to take into account.

according to the first 4 months of NPD for the US version of CoD4 on the PS3, it was between 1.2 million - 1.36 million through february. It isn't inconceivable to believe that the title has sold over 2 million units worldwide by now.

jibblypop said:
Just more about Little Big Planet. I played it with my girlfriend last week. She loved how cute it was but found it very difficult to control and play. I think that reaction will be very common and will stop it from having the appeal of other platform games.
they should have put more focus into tighter controls that really appeal to female gamers because that could have really made it a much bigger hit then whatever it ends up selling.

I find it hard to imagine that anyone would find it hard to control and play after learning the two main buttons and playing the developer levels.

But yeah, tighter controls like mario are a definite hit with the female casual audience and would have convinced legions of mario-based avatars on forums to go out and buy a PS3 for LBP.

markatisu

jibblypop said:
Is someone really claiming that the wii version will sell more than the ps3 version? of course it won't!
It could still sell enough to make a good profit and be worthwhile for the publisher though.

Exactly, that was the point that people were getting at. LTD I think the Wii version will sell about 1 million or close to it (I mean god the crappy COD3 Wii got damn near that just in the US)

I think it will be 360----------------------------->PS3------>Wii

But I do not see the PS3 version doing anything super spectacular in comparison to being just in the middle of the other two versions

Great numbers for the 360 and Wii. The 360 overtakes the PS3 for YTD numbers as well in America. I expect the 360 to most likely outsell the PS3 by 500K to 1 million in that region when it is all said and done for the year. I wonder if the 360 will hit 1 million units sold for November because of Gears of War 2?

Top Bottom