• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
markatisu said:
Exactly, that was the point that people were getting at. LTD I think the Wii version will sell about 1 million or close to it (I mean god the crappy COD3 Wii got damn near that just in the US)

I think it will be 360----------------------------->PS3------>Wii

But I do not see the PS3 version doing anything super spectacular in comparison to being just in the middle of the other two versions

CoD3 Wii sold near one million in the US alone? What? I was under the impression that it wasnt even near that including EU sales

donny2112

eastside49er said:
I wonder if the 360 will hit 1 million units sold for November because of Gears of War 2?

No. I expect it to sell to pretty much the same people who bought Gears of War 1, and who, thus, already have a 360. I think the 360 might reach as high as 800K, but it will mostly be due to continuing effects of the price cut. The Black Friday deals certainly will help, as well.

HK-47 said:
CoD3 Wii sold near one million in the US alone?

I don't believe so. Maybe as high as half a million, though.

markatisu

donny2112 said:

It was around the 450-650k mark, we never got definite sales numbers as far as I know outside of what IGN would mention in their articles

I consider anything around 600-700k near a million (just to preface that)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ah. I think it may be a little early to write it off now.

No real idea if it'll get better or worse though. I've heard so many mixed reactions from the game. Whether it be critics or normal people.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jibblypop said:
they should have put more focus into tighter controls that really appeal to female gamers because that could have really made it a much bigger hit then whatever it ends up selling.
You mean like the "tight" controls in Lego series made the game a hit with casual/female audience?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
No. I expect it to sell to pretty much the same people who bought Gears of War 1, and who, thus, already have a 360. I think the 360 might reach as high as 800K, but it will mostly be due to continuing effects of the price cut. The Black Friday deals certainly will help, as well.

And I believe its got the 100k award over in the UK. It certainly did better than I originally thought though

Private Hoffman said:
CoD3 launched alongside the PS3

A better comparison would be for CoD4 numbers, where it sold multiple millions on the PS3 and 360. The Wii version of CoD5 is going to do way worse than the PS3 and 360.
You do realise COD3 being a launch title for the PS3 helps its sales right? How is COD4 a better comparison when a Wii one doesn't even exist. You compare COD3 PS3 against COD3 Wii. You can't get anymore fairer then that.

markatisu said:
You are correct, the July 2005 NPD listed Animal Crossing as

GCN ANIMAL CROSSING ($443,666.00) 22,277

It was not even in the Top 50 of the NPD that month :lol

GCN titles were not the evergreen sellers we see today on DS and Wii

Can't seem to find the release numbers at the moment
How is pulling a random month, 3 years after it's release suppose to prove anything? If anything 22k after 3 years would be considered good legs.

donny2112 said:
81K according to NPD.
Wasn't it something like 66k in the Nintendo NPD response press?

Slavik81

legend166 said:
I think it's interesting that Wii Music is the first Wii game that GAF seemed to agree was going to sell like crazy, and then it sold poorly.

GAF thinking you'll do well is the kiss of death.
I hate to say this, because I didn't really push my opinion out there very hard, but I really doubted Wii Music. (I'd feel better about saying 'I told you so' if it were actually impressive or dangerous that I'd done so. Being loud about it would have helped that slightly.)

It just doesn't have the same appeal as the others do. At least in North America. There's a reason Wii Sports was a pack-in in North America and not Japan.

Now, why it did so poorly in Japan... that's a whole new question.

BishopLamont said:
You do realise COD3 being a launch title for the PS3 helps its sales right? How is COD4 a better comparison when a Wii one doesn't even exist. You compare COD3 PS3 against COD3 Wii. You can't get anymore fairer then that.
Actually, I think it is kind of unfair. Call of Duty 3 wasn't the same game on all platforms. The Wii version in particular was much different from the others and generally got worse reviews because of it. Or...

Perhaps there was different competition near launch on the different platforms? Perhaps it was totally beaten by the hype for Red Steel and Zelda?

There are all kinds of factors that could affect the sales of a multiplatform game on different platforms.

(EDIT: I got your implication backwards, but the same sorts of things hold true in reverse. Perhaps PS3 owners knew the 360 version had better XXXX, while the Wii owners were just starved for games. Or whatever. It's hard to suggest single things that caused it.)

Sadist said:
November 1 million Wii's?
That would take a 2% increase over last year. Considering every month other than January (which was down) has been up at least 12%, I'd say that's a pretty sure thing.
pilonv1 said:
Even Xbox at it's peak was doing 1.2million in November. I think you'll see Wii closer to 2mill in November.
I think you're misremembering. Xbox only did well enough one December to round up to 1.2 million. 2 million would be all kinds of freakish. DS last year did 1.53 million in November and I believe that's the record to date; I'd imagine Wii will be in the same territory this year.
botticus said:
The only real question is if it can beat PS2's 2.7 million December.
Now that one I doubt. Nintendo has specifically said to expect supply for this holiday to be up about 50%. That was true of October, and it's also true of the through-October year-to-date total. December would have to be up 100% to hit 2.7 million. 50% up over last year would put it just over 2 million.
Gary Whitta said:
What are all these people doing with their Wiis? Mine pretty much just gathers dust.
Are my consoles malfunctioning? Powering them up never seems to turn on this "anti-dust" ability that some people's seem to have.
chespace said:
They've gotten a handful of decent games but the Wii has been out for 2 full years and, let's face it, there just aren't enough games on the system that appeal to the GAF demographic.
If GAF was anything near one demographic, it wouldn't argue with itself so much.
test_account said:
Is the PS3 the first "mainstream" console that have been $399 in it's second year by the way?
Sort of. X360 took over a year and a half to drop, so for much of its second year it was 299/399.
botticus said:
If I'm not mistaken, 2003 was the $99 Mario Kart bundle when I jumped in.

Edit: Nope, that was 2004. Not sure why the spike then.
It first reached $99 in 2003; thereafter it was just a shuffling of different things bundled (or nothing). November 2003 specifically there was the Zelda disc with emulated NES/N64 games, as well as some places having $79 sales on Black Friday.
GitarooMan said:
I'm amazed at the amount of bitter Nintendo fanboys who got the world domination they want but are still unhappy because Nintendo doesn't get the undying loyalty and respect of every gamer for changing the world.
"Everyone is dead! How do we rule a realm with no one in it!?"
legend166 said:
I think it's interesting that Wii Music is the first Wii game that GAF seemed to agree was going to sell like crazy, and then it sold poorly.

GAF thinking you'll do well is the kiss of death.
I disagree. Upon the reveal of Wii Fit I remember a lot of people saying it looked awful, but they expected it would be a hit. When Wii Music showed up they just said it looked awful.

I thought it would be big, since I figured making music for $50 was more appealing than working out for $90.
donny2112 said:
Considering it sold a million in the U.S., I think that's probably the case. :p I want to say that if you combine the different versions released in Japan, it gets most of the way to 1 million there, as well.
The original and e+ together go all the way and then some; but not by much.
dammitmattt said:
That reminds me, where is JoshuaJSlone?
Late to the party. Long-winded upon arrival.

JoshuaJSlone said:
That would take a 2% increase over last year. Considering every month other than January (which was down) has been up at least 12%, I'd say that's a pretty sure thing.

so, December NPD:

DS - 1,8 mio
Wii - 1,5 mio
360 - 700k
PSP - 300k
PS2 - 280k
PS3 - 250k

?

Brakara

JoshuaJSlone said:
Are my consoles malfunctioning? Powering them up never seems to turn on this "anti-dust" ability that some people's seem to have.

He said "just gathers dust" as opposed to (I guess) "gathers dust and being used". Coincidentally, my Wii has also (this year) just been gathering dust.

Haunted

Brakara said:
He said "just gathers dust" as opposed to (I guess) "gathers dust and being used". Coincidentally, my Wii has also (this year) just been gathering dust.
Don't blame us for not playing one of Nintendo's best games this generation!

jakncoke

Banned
solid2snake said:
so, December NPD:

DS - 1,8 mio
Wii - 1,5 mio
360 - 700k
PSP - 300k
PS2 - 280k
PS3 - 250k

?

Is that your Dec 2008 prediction? out of all the consoles wasn't PS3 last in 2007 with like 650k?

Brakara

Haunted said:

What, SSBB? I'm not into fighters. If it's something else, then please enlighten me. Because I'm looking at what Nintendo has released this year (Mario Kart, Wii Fit, etc.) and there's absolutely nothing for me there.

I am looking forward to Sega's Madworld though.

Brakara said:
What, SSBB? I'm not into fighters. If it's something else, then please enlighten me. Because I'm looking at what Nintendo has released this year (Mario Kart, Wii Fit, etc.) and there's absolutely nothing for me there.

He's talking about Monster Lab, I think. It's his new crush.

Wait, he said "Nintendo's game". Hmm. No idea then.

solid2snake said:
i can't see the PS3 over 400k in december. why should it, cause of LBP?
Until this post I really thought you had meant to type "November". Even GameCube didn't have a December of less than 500K until Wii was out.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Haunted said:
You can only play Mario Galaxy so many times. Ironically, I was playing Banjo Kazooie on XBLA yesterday and was wishing I was playing Galaxy instead. Game is so good and the only reason I regret selling my Wii.

Haunted

Brakara said:

Yeah, SSBB. :( I'm sorry, I loved it. I guess the next best thing were MKWii and Wario Land.

And looking at my purchases this year, 3rd parties win 2008 on Wii, hands down.

Archie said:
You can only play Mario Galaxy so many times. Ironically, I was playing Banjo Kazooie on XBLA yesterday and was wishing I was playing Galaxy instead. Game is so good and the only reason I regret selling my Wii.
It's true.

Segata Sanshiro said:
He's talking about Monster Lab, I think. It's his new crush.

Wait, he said "Nintendo's game". Hmm. No idea then.
<3 But there you go talking about Crush again.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Segata Sanshiro said:
you guys didn't BUY CRUSH, FUCKERS

and that's why I pray for all of your favourite games to fail.
Look at it this way. It probably sold better than Rock Revolution on the Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
PSPSlimisbetterthanyou.jpg

I totally purchased Crush, Segata! Hold me!

Amir0x

Banned
that was back when one of you fucking GAFers said it was totally a good RPG for the PSP.

Oh, I had it out with that motherfucker!

Linkified

So we should expect LittleBigPlanet to do better in the November NPDs. But do we expect the actual console sales of the PS3 to actual increase to more than they would this month.

If it doesn't increase PS3 sales in US which is game will be the system seller for it so that ps3 sales are approachable to that of the 360s.

I can't think of any exclusive really to turn the tide now apart from LBP where are all Sony's family games hiding.

Do we really expect LBP to do better in November?

Fact 1: It's on the PS3. The (smaller) userbase has a proportionally higher number of 'core' gamers to it than, say, the X360 or the Wii.

Fact 2: Hardcore gamers are more likely to buy a game closer to the release date.

Fact 3: LBP's appeal to the casual gamer is currently unknown. (For clarity, I refer to 'casual' here in the same sense as the market that drove Madden and GTA to become multimillion sellers)

Given all of this, I feel safe in assuming that it will in fact do worse in November.

farnham

Banned
Amir0x said:
PSPSlimisbetterthanyou.jpg

I totally purchased Crush, Segata! Hold me!
i purchased crush

for 5 euros (no joke)
yoopoo said:
Anyone notice, Nintendo now has 3 first month bombs in a row, Mario Sluggers - Wario Shake - Wii Music.

sluggers and wario land were not marketed as heavily as wii music though

im confident that all those games will have a decent end result though

Hardware sales for the PS3 this holiday will be solid, if unspectacular. I still think it has yet to receive the system seller, but the library of third and first party games is very good.

Personally I think Little Big Planet sales will drop in November, for several reasons:

1. It have been released into a schedule of established franchises that typically see strong sales in the holiday period.
2. Despite the appeal (certainly from a design aspect) the game does not immediately sell itself, that will come from the community built upon it.
3. The platform. This has been overstated already, but the price of hardware is huge a barrier to entry.

I would state that there are other titles that face the same problem (with the exception of #3); Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts being the obvious one.

Linkified

So does this mean the killer game for the PS3 will be KillZone 2 even after the first game on the PS2 put a negative impression of it as a franchise to many people.

If thats not it I can't think of any software that could change the PS3s chances, unless its a slow seller what with Blu Ray.

Johnkers

Opus Angelorum said:
Hardware sales for the PS3 this holiday will be solid, if unspectacular. I still think it has yet to receive the system seller, but the library of third and first party games is very good.

Was MGS4 not the system seller? I don't see anything in the future even close to as big as that?

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I hate the term 'system seller' insofar that it's supposed to mean 'will reverse an ailing system's fortunes'.

It just doesn't happen.

Do we know if DS would have exploded with its, eh, Nintendogs?

i guess that would never classify as a truly 'ailing' system though, just not explosive

Top Bottom