• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

dammitmattt said:
Why play the DS version when you've got the real thing? I still don't understand the appeal of Guitar Hero DS to anyone but little kids.
It's portable, it approximates the real thing fairly well, and I'm not at home all that often.

I'd love to hear some good reasons why you'd think it would particularly appeal to little kids. I'd hate to go forward with the notion in my head that you're a narrow-minded, condescending prick.

sphinx said:
I would like to see the wii beat the PS2 november record of 1.2 million.

Can it happen?
That sounds like a done deal. To top PS2's best November would take a Wii increase of about 31% over last November. Of the ten months of the year so far, Wii has had a year-over-year increase greater than that 6 times, and Nintendo has specifically said to expect holiday supply to be 50% greater.

That would set a home console record, but it just might have a chance to top last year's DS record as well, which would take a 56% increase.

FrankT

Mrbob said:
360 wins the first round

Courtesy of gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201179.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

Numbers for GHWT:

Xbox 360 191,049
Wii 182,845
PlayStation 3 96,657
PlayStation 2 63,462

Rock Band 2:

360 119,569
PS3 118,559

For the lulz

Unfortunately, October was not nearly as kind to the third instrument-based rhythm game released during the month, Rock Revolution. According to NPD figures, Konami's critically savaged game sold less than 3,000 units across the entirety of the country during the month. According to the data, the game sold 1,442 for the 360, 816 for the PS3, 666 for the DS, and only two copies for the Wii.

Nice that we actually got the hard data on GHWT and RB2 for the month.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's portable, it approximates the real thing fairly well, and I'm not at home all that often.

I'd love to hear some good reasons why you'd think it would particularly appeal to little kids. I'd hate to go forward with the notion in my head that you're a narrow-minded, condescending prick.

Here's why I don't particularly like it:

1. The interface is decent enough, but it only has 4 buttons and it's absolutely no replacement for holding a guitar

2. Sound quality is questionable

3. You look like a complete tool playing this on the bus or train

4. Not much content outside of the core songs

Here's why it appeals more to kids:

1. Kids usually don't have a big HD setup with surround sound

2. Kids usually are bouncing around from activities to friends' houses and play much more portable games

3. Kids are the only ones playing this in public who would not look like complete tools

4. Kids don't care if the graphics and sound quality suck, and usually don't care if there's not a lot of content...they're often fairly content doing the same thing over and over again

Struct09

_dementia said:
:lol @ 2 copies.

There's an update on the page:

Gamespot said:
[UPDATE] Suspect indeed: The number for the Wii version of Rock Revolution was so low because it didn't actually arrive in stores until November 11, whereas all three other versions went on sale October 15. Whether it exceeds its siblings' sales will be seen next month. For October, the game generated just over $132,000 in sales.

The game didn't come out intil 11/11, so the two copies that registered for NPD sales were likely due to someone erroneously ringing out the title somewhere.

Spiegel

Jtyettis said:
Nice that we actually got the hard data on GHWT and RB2 for the month.

RockBand 2 360 isn't in the top 20 and sold more copies than Rockband PS3?

08-october-top-20.gif

How could it be possible?

markatisu

Spiegel said:
RockBand 2 360 isn't in the top 20 and sold more copies than Rockband PS3?

How could it be possible?

RB2 for 360 came out in Sept, but it sold more than 120k so that is an interesting sales total since it did not appear (Maybe its a combo of bundles and single so each sku was not high enough by itself?)

WTF does that matter, if its fun then who cares what you look like. Did not know you had to look cool when playing a video game.

freddy

Banned
dammitmattt said:

3. Kids are the only ones playing this in public who would not look like complete tools

You really worry about how you look if you're having fun?
The mind boggles...

Spiegel

markatisu said:
RB2 for 360 came out in Sept, those are LTD sales

"NPD reports that US retailers sold 238,128 units of the game during October, 119,569 being of the 360 variety and 118,559 bearing the PlayStation 3 mark"

Nocebo

dammitmattt said:

2. Kids usually are bouncing around from activities to friends' houses and play much more portable games

4. Kids don't care if the graphics and sound quality suck, and usually don't care if there's not a lot of content...they're often fairly content doing the same thing over and over again
That's the dumbest reasoning for an opinion I've heard in my entire life.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
dammitmattt said:
How old are you? Do you really care about what complete strangers are thinking of you?

markatisu

Nocebo said:
That's the dumbest reasoning for an opinion I've heard in my entire life.

Agreed, seems a bit immature too. Those are not legitimate reasons about why the game would suck or appeal to kids
"NPD reports that US retailers sold 238,128 units of the game during October, 119,569 being of the 360 variety and 118,559 bearing the PlayStation 3 mark"

I edited my post above, but maybe the bundle and the single game were not combined in NPD so that way it did not make it into the Top 20? Would be odd but thats about the only way I can see it not making the Top 20 if it outsold the PS3

botticus

markatisu said:
Agreed, seems a bit immature too. Those are not legitimate reasons about why the game would suck or appeal to kids

I edited my post above, but maybe the bundle and the single game were not combined in NPD so that way it did not make it into the Top 20? Would be odd but thats about the only way I can see it not making the Top 20 if it outsold the PS3
If that were the case then that means they counted GH SKUs differently than RB SKUs which wouldn't make any sense.

dammitmattt said:

1. The interface is decent enough, but it only has 4 buttons and it's absolutely no replacement for holding a guitar

Fair enough. So would you say the PS2 versions are for kids, also? Or at least more for kids than the PS3/360 ones?

edit: Never mind, you're in Nifelheim.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
not just kids, but little kids... come on dammitmatt, you know there's cell phone versions too?

dammitmattt said:

and that's why kids are > you.

Nocebo

markatisu said:
He's basically calling anyone who's ever owned a handheld a little baby :lol Also, anyone who likes to play old skool games on their nes or w/e has suddenly regressed to a fetal state.

Haunted

(neutral) dammitmattt
Banned
(Today, 03:40 PM)
Reply | Quote

I would've liked a longer discussion on why he hates handheld gaming instead of just banning him immediately. Oh well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Also, MS is accomplishing with 360 what Sony wants to be done with PS3. Selling their IPs. MS has nailed a TON of hits this generation with their first party output.
Besides Halo 3, Gears of War 1 and 2, and Fable 2, which other 1st party Xbox 360 games has been a hit? Maybe Ninja Gaiden 2 as well? I'm not trying to start any list wars or anything here by the way, so please dont come with some sarcastic comments or anything, thanks. I'm just curious.

Dabanton

test_account said:
Besides Halo 3, Gears of War 1 and 2, and Fable 2, which other 1st party Xbox 360 games has been a hit? Maybe Ninja Gaiden 2 as well? I'm not trying to start any list wars or anything here by the way, so please dont come with some sarcastic comments or anything, thanks. I'm just curious.

Don't forget Crackdown.

sykoex said:
I don't understant this type of talk. Do you not realize that as this year comes to a close, PS3 and 360 are almost neck and neck, despite 360 having a year-long headstart?
You do realize theres a 6 million conosle difference between the two right? And also that the 360 will distant that further by the end of this year, yes?

test_account said:

Forza 2. PGR 3 & 4.

Accident

test_account said:

Forza 2, Mass Effect, Crackdown? They are all million sellers

test_account said:

Forza 2
Mass Effect (if you're counting Gears and Ninja Gaiden as 1st party published)
Perfect Dark Zero

Sadist

WrikaWrek said:
I wouldn't be caught dead playing the DS in public, period.
Why? Don't see the problem. Here in Holland we have a lot of people who play their DS when traveling by train or bus. This morning I saw a few people when I went to college.

People these days (especialy the last couple of years) have acccepted portable gaming in public. Generaly, people are even positive when somebody plays on DS.

Struct09 said:
There's an update on the page:

The game didn't come out intil 11/11, so the two copies that registered for NPD sales were likely due to someone erroneously ringing out the title somewhere.
Gotcha.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
test_account said:

My instinct;

Smash Hits: PGR3, Gears, Crackdown, Forza 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Gears 2
Success / Borderline: Kameo, PDZ, Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon, Scene-It?, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2
Flop: PGR4, Shadowrun, Tenchu Z, Too Human, Fuzion Frenzy 2, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
???: Ninety-Nine Nights (sales sucked, but it got a sequel), Viva Pinata 2 (too soon), Scene It? 2 (too soon), Banjo 3 (too soon), Viva Pinata Party Animals (sales weren't super hot, but it was obviously a smaller game and MSFT has since worked with Krome again)

donny2112

test_account said:
Besides Halo 3, Gears of War 1 and 2, and Fable 2, which other 1st party Xbox 360 games has been a hit?

I thought he was referring to new IPs, which would just be Gears, Crackdown (aka: The Halo 3 Beta pack-in game), and Mass Effect (since gone to EA). They've had critical success if not commercial success with some of RARE's new IPs, as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dabanton said:
Don't forget Crackdown.
Revelations said:
Forza 2. PGR 3 & 4.
Accident said:
Forza 2, Mass Effect, Crackdown? They are all million sellers
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Forza 2
Mass Effect (if you're counting Gears and Ninja Gaiden as 1st party published)
Perfect Dark Zero
Opus Angelorum said:
Hasn't Viva Pinata also hit one million, or close to it?
Stumpokapow said:
My instinct;

Smash Hits: PGR3, Gears, Crackdown, Forza 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Gears 2
Success / Borderline: Kameo, PDZ, Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon, Scene-It?, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2
Flop: PGR4, Shadowrun, Tenchu Z, Too Human, Fuzion Frenzy 2, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
???: Ninety-Nine Nights, Viva Pinata, Scene It? 2, Banjo 3
donny2112 said:
I thought he was referring to new IPs, which would just be Gears, Crackdown (aka: The Halo 3 Beta pack-in game), and Mass Effect (since gone to EA). They've had critical success if not commercial success with some of RARE's new IPs, as well.
Ah yes, there are a few games mentioned here that i didnt really think about that much before you people mentioned them, especially Forza 2, i dont know why i forgot about that game. Thanks for the answers everyone! :)

donny2112: Ye, that can be true, it might be that he ment new IPs, i didnt really think about that when i read his post :) I was curious about every 1st party Xbox 360 game though, i didnt think about just the new IPs :)

Dabanton

donny2112 said:

Is that an attempted diss.

The game can more than stand on it's own.

donny2112

Dabanton said:
Is that an attempted diss.

No. It's a caveat that can't be ignored when looking at the game's sales numbers. I am sure that a lot of people purchased the game primarily for the Halo 3 Beta key and saw the game itself as a nice bonus.

Dabanton said:
The game can more than stand on it's own.

What Segata Sanshiro said. :)

donny2112 said:
No. It's a caveat that can't be ignored when looking at the game's sales numbers. I am sure that a lot of people purchased the game primarily for the Halo 3 Beta key and saw the game itself as a nice bonus.

I remember reading that the game sold 1.2 million copies and 800k people signed into the halo 3 beta.

donny2112 said:
NI am sure that a lot of people purchased the game primarily for the Halo 3 Beta key and saw the game itself as a nice bonus.
True, but hype ensured the sales of the game long after Halo was taken out of the equation.

Top Bottom