• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

Well, technically yes, but I do not believe that the COC was going by Golds, but rather overall medal count. This is backed up by the fact that their goals are all based on overall totals, rather than golds. For example, there is currently a substantial funding program being put into place to push for 30+ medals for Vancouver; there is no distinction between which medal is which.

While the final standings will place them fifth, this is more or less a "Top Three" finish according to the COC viewpoint, AFAIK.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Memles said:
Well, technically yes, but I do not believe that the COC was going by Golds, but rather overall medal count. This is backed up by the fact that their goals are all based on overall totals, rather than golds. For example, there is currently a substantial funding program being put into place to push for 30+ medals for Vancouver; there is no distinction between which medal is which.

While the final standings will place them fifth, this is more or less a "Top Three" finish according to the COC viewpoint, AFAIK.

Oh, okay. So, like, victory in being wrong. :D

Kidding. Canada did very well.

Piper Az

I thought this particular paragraph was pretty funny (they were grading the US team). You can read the rest via the link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11561411/site/newsweek/

Snowboarding: A-minus
Blast you, Lindsey Jacobellis! You ruined the only perfect grade for the United States at these Olympics! Still, there was so much to love about this bunch, it’s hard to pick a place to start. How about Shaun “The Flying Tomato” White’s star-making performance in the half-pipe? Or goofy Hannah Teter and hottie Gretchen Bleiler going 1-2 on the women’s side? Or Seth Wescott’s thrilling gold in snowboard cross? Wescott’s come-from-behind, dare-devil win in the SBX final was, by consensus, NEWSWEEK’s pick for the best moment at these Olympics. Then Jacobellis had to Jacoblow-it with her lame-brained stunt in the women’s final. Even Sasha Cohen’s disappointing silver doesn’t hold a candle to this one. What a buzzkill. Still, the snowboarders were the brightest spot of these Olympics, as much for their personalities as for their performances. Anyone needing a break from moody Bode or the sniping speedskaters got plenty from White, Teter and the rest of the gang. You guys rocked.

MASB

I love how Nike is showing seemingly new commercials of Bode Miller basically saying "medals don't count man!" I'm glad he turned out to be such a loser. Makes for entertainment at any rate.

Manaka

So much for this being the Olympics where the United States would challenge Austria's supremacy in the mountains.

:lol
Three medals in 1 race ( men's slalom) and a overall third place is incredible! Austria FTW!

So then, all decisions over. Those were good games, although with not the best athmosphere.

Germany did surprisingly well, even when many of our medals came from biathlon :] yay.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Amazing olympic games by Sweden. In fact, it's the best they've ever done.

With the medal totals being 7 - 2 - 5 for Sweden, they reached 6th place.
At the big Swedish failure that was Salt Lake City in '02, it ended like this:
0 - 2 - 4

So yeah, big success. But looking at our neighbours, Norway...now there's a disappointment I think. It's like the tides have turned. Not only because they didn't get as many medals this olympics as in Salt Lake City (19 vs 24), but mostly because they barely got any gold medals. Perhaps they didn't have the luck, the little extra effort etc etc to reach the gold medals this time around. This is how it looked like in Salt Lake City:
11 - 7 - 6
And now in Torino:
2 - 8 - 9

Man, I feel for my neighbours in Norway...granted, Salt Lake City was probably considered a big success and hard to match, but still.

:Motorbass said:
So then, all decisions over. Those were good games, although with not the best athmosphere.

Germany did surprisingly well, even when many of our medals came from biathlon :] yay.
Surprisingly well? Didn't they finish these games with less medals than the last ones? They've always been a dominant force as far as I can recall.

Peru

Kiriku said:
Amazing olympic games by Sweden. In fact, it's the best they've ever done.

With the medal totals being 7 - 2 - 5 for Sweden, they reached 6th place.
At the big Swedish failure that was Salt Lake City in '02, it ended like this:
0 - 2 - 4

So yeah, big success. But looking at our neighbours, Norway...now there's a disappointment I think. It's like the tides have turned. Not only because they didn't get as many medals this olympics as in Salt Lake City (19 vs 24), but mostly because they barely got any gold medals. Perhaps they didn't have the luck, the little extra effort etc etc to reach the gold medals this time around. This is how it looked like in Salt Lake City:
11 - 7 - 6
And now in Torino:
2 - 8 - 9

Man, I feel for my neighbours in Norway...granted, Salt Lake City was probably considered a big success and hard to match, but still.
I guess a lot of us Norwegians are pissed off and dissapointed, but personally it doesn't matter much to me. I like following the sports cause of the fierce competition between top-skilled athletes, not so much to see my own country succeed. Plus, it'll be more fun winning again after sucking for a while.

that wind machine thing in the closing ceremony was ripped from, like, 30 different video games

majora's mask and wind waker in particular come to mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom