• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piper Az

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Not true, Vonetta Flowers won a medal last Olympics. I think he's the first black male and first individual, but he certainly isn't the first black person to win one.

Yup. I meant the first individual winter gold for a black American.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter06/speed/news/story?id=2336224

Watch the video in this article. There may be interpretation differences in terms of whether what Shani did was right or not, but Chad Hedrick comes off as real whiny and cocky.

AirBrian

:Motorbass said:
:>
0095eed7be.gif

^gif loading
That's great.

pestul

Now if we can win this hockey game today, and Gushie nabs a win.. we'll go from our worst day at the Olympics to one of the best. :D

Memles

pestul said:
Now if we can win this hockey game today, and Gushie nabs a win.. we'll go from our worst day at the Olympics to one of the best. :D

Yeah, Gushue just went up 6-1 so he appears to be in pretty good shape...he still needs to pull of a victory against the U.S. though, in order to really put himself in a guaranteed position in 4th. It won't be entirely necessary, but still. It would make things a lot easier for Gusher and Co. I haven't been able to watch any curling live, which has sucked; I'm not even sure where their mistakes are coming.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The ice dancing falls are too freaking much. I am cracking up.

The Italian pair that had a staring match is hilarious.

Tanith Belbin BABE OF THE OLYMPICS

pestul

Ahh snap.. another 4rth place finish in skiing when we were going into the second run in 1st. Canada loves 4rth..

Timbuktu

BBC said:
A South Korean man has claimed he is the natural father of US skier Toby Dawson, who won a bronze in the Winter Olympics last week, media reports said.
Dawson, 27, was adopted by US parents in 1982, from an orphanage in Seoul who did not know who his parents were.

Kim Jae-su, 52, said his lost son went missing during a shopping trip with his mother near a market in the South Korean city of Busan, in 1981.

Dawson was found near the same market, South Korean's Yonhap news agency said.

Kim Jae-su said Dawson looked very like his lost son.

He said he made the connection after friends and relatives called him, saying Dawson looked just like him.

"So I looked at the papers and confirmed it myself," Mr Kim told the newspaper Chosun Ilbo. "There is no doubt that this is the son I lost 25 years ago."

No records

Mr Kim said he never reported the fact his son was missing to police, because he did not think it would help, instead looking for the child himself.

Deborah and Mike Dawson, ski instructors from Colorado, were told the three-year-old had been abandoned.

Deborah Dawson has told the US broadcaster NBC that the child was very traumatised when he first arrived from South Korea.

Toby Dawson said his childhood shyness ultimately helped his skiing.

"I was definitely more aggressive in that area of my life because I was so shy otherwise," NBC quoted him as saying.

Dawson won bronze in the men's mogul competition at the Olympics in Turin.

He has recently said he is searching for his biological parents. Kim Jae-su said he was willing to take a DNA test to prove his paternity.

Wow. that's quite a story the guy does turn out to be his father. This Olympics has got so much drama already.

calder

pestul said:
Damn.. three 4rth place finishes in skiing to start the morning. :lol
I know, I just settle into work and refresh tsn.ca only to be hit with "oh damn... damn! DAMN!' :lol

pestul

Nice win by Gushue to finish 2nd in the standings. 6-3 seems like a good score, but the US should have one that match. I'm a little worried about them having to face them again in the semis, but at least they're going to have a shot at a medal regardless.

Well played, Canadian Mens Curling Team..... well played indeed. I think America is doomed to bad karma after that awful video segment on the obnoxious fans that are cheering the team on. Ugh. They're probably the most annoying american cheerleaders at the olympics, narrowly surpassing that dude in the starting house of the men's skiing events who screams encouragement to the american team before they go down the hill. "YEAH BODE LET'S DO THIS YEAHHHH!!!" That's just dumb, and it's not even working considering the results they've been getting. Whatever.

Manaka

Woohoo, Austria now is on the second place (behing Germany)
- with 3 gold and 2 bronze medals in one day, amazing!

Timbuktu

Can't blame them. It must be tense, 8-8 against Denmark in the last end when it should have been easy. If they lose, Britain and Russia go through.

Xenon

whytemyke said:
Shani actually did go on the record in January as saying he'd race in that race though. That's why everyone was pissed... he changed his mind and just acted like he never said he'd do it to begin with.

If this is true then I can see why people could be upset with him.

I don't think the fued between the two is as bad as the media is trying to make it out to be. Manufactured hype

whytemyke said:
Shani actually did go on the record in January as saying he'd race in that race though. That's why everyone was pissed... he changed his mind and just acted like he never said he'd do it to begin with.

From what i've heard, he's never said he'd race it. They put him on the list in November among many other skaters, when he got the the Olympics he said that they added him to the list of skaters that will be in the race and he said he wasn't doing it. Shani doesn't even train with any of these guys, he trains in Canada. He basically said that he didn't think it was right to take a spot from another guy who has been training for it so he can jump into that spot.

Y2Kev

Emily falls to fifth, KIMI MEISSNER in third, but you have to hope she drops (Cohen still to come). If KIMI (I love saying KIMI) can hang on to fourth position, she'll have a good shot.

Emily is going to probably be out of it, but she looks like she's enjoying herself anyway.

Wow, I turn on CNBC just in time to see a replay of the US team blowing their match against Finland on the last shot. The low point of the entire olympics for me! This is a seriously bad omen for america's curling medal prospects. And I can't believe I spoiled the speed skating results for myself just by visiting the front page of washingtonpost.com. Stupid tape delayed olympics....

Kicko

jobber said:
:(

Shani got punked at the press conference

How so, I thought it hilarious when he mentioned Chad didn't bother to shake his hand after Shani had won gold in the 1000. The press conference was peaceful until that very moment. This Shani and Chad shit has been the best thing about the olympics thus far. :lol

Y2Kev

So I got to watch Cohen last night.

So graceful, so flexible. She doesn't skate, she floats. Her jumps literally just happen; they looked effortless. She's gonna have to reach back for the long skate, but she can do it.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Kicko said:
How so, I thought it hilarious when he mentioned Chad didn't bother to shake his hand after Shani had won gold in the 1000. The press conference was peaceful until that very moment. This Shani and Chad shit has been the best thing about the olympics thus far. :lol

After Shani mentioned how Chad never shook his hand after he won the gold, Chad then started drinking water then stood up. Shani (who was out the picture) got up and left. Chad then sat back down.

Yeah, we won gold and silver in snowboarding, and the women curling team is about to win against the Canadians, this means another medal...

But I don't think we will win in ice hockey today :(

Edit: +1 gold in freestyle, nice!

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, Chad comes off as a little bitch to me.

I like Shani more.

All this talk about "do it for the team, do it for the team, do it for the team"

You're skaters in the Olympics! It really can't be much more of an individual sport, and we should be happy Shani was there because otherwise we wouldn't have the medal(s) he earned. He competed against the other players as you should.

calder

Tamanon said:
I dunno, Chad comes off as a little bitch to me.

I like Shani more.
100% agree. Sure, it would have been nice if Shani had skated that team pursuit, but he backed out long before the race and explained himself, if you're Chad Hedrick you don't have to like it but you have to at least accept his decision. EVERY interview with Chad he seemed more petulant and bitchy about it. It's funny because you hear Chad in any interview after the US failed in the pursuit and he says the 'right' thing at first but within 30 seconds he starts letting his inner whiny-bitch shine through and you realize how much of a punk he is.

At first I was starting to think this bitter rivalry was probably a bit of a media creation, but the big press conference convinced me that the rift between the two of them might be just as big as the reports make it sound. Seeing Shani finally snapped and complain that Chad never even shook his hand, and then seeing Chad sitting right there with that uncomfortable smirk on his face refusing to talk until Shani left so he didn't have to answer up to his lack of class was a pretty big smoking gun. :lol

And woot for the Canadian ladies getting it done in the 1500m long track. Gold for home-girl Klassen is great, but adding a silver for Groves is a bonus. Shame Scott couldn't medal in the cross-country to go along with Crawford's gold.

Piper Az

calder said:
100% agree. Sure, it would have been nice if Shani had skated that team pursuit, but he backed out long before the race and explained himself, if you're Chad Hedrick you don't have to like it but you have to at least accept his decision. EVERY interview with Chad he seemed more petulant and bitchy about it. It's funny because you hear Chad in any interview after the US failed in the pursuit and he says the 'right' thing at first but within 30 seconds he starts letting his inner whiny-bitch shine through and you realize how much of a punk he is.

At first I was starting to think this bitter rivalry was probably a bit of a media creation, but the big press conference convinced me that the rift between the two of them might be just as big as the reports make it sound. Seeing Shani finally snapped and complain that Chad never even shook his hand, and then seeing Chad sitting right there with that uncomfortable smirk on his face refusing to talk until Shani left so he didn't have to answer up to his lack of class was a pretty big smoking gun. :lol

Yeah, I understand why Hedrick was upset at Davis for skipping the team pursuit despite Shani's explanation. That's fair; they had a shot for a medal, and Shani's absence killed it. But I have a problem with Hedrick's whiny bitching. It happened. Be disappointed. Accept it. And move on. Why make this as huge as if Shani has just ruined your life? Is Hedrick that honorable that a mere skip in a team match upsets him that much? "I was at the opening ceremony. [Shani wasn't and thus I'm ALL about team]". Geez.

Xenon

Piper Az said:
Yeah, I understand why Hedrick was upset at Davis for skipping the team pursuit despite Shani's explanation. That's fair; they had a shot for a medal, and Shani's absence killed it. But I have a problem with Hedrick's whiny bitching. It happened. Be disappointed. Accept it. And move on. Why make this as huge as if Shani has just ruined your life? Is Hedrick that honorable that a mere skip in a team match upsets him that much? "I was at the opening ceremony. [Shani wasn't and thus I'm ALL about team]". Geez.

To be fair the dude isn't seeking the podium to air these complaints. Everytime he has been interviewed he is being asked the same questions. I think the dude has a right to be miffed at the Davis. Is as big a deal as being made out to be, nope. But the press has kept the issue open by hounding both athletes.

It should have went

Hedrick "Davis didn't care about team"

Davis "no shit"

Finland and Canada for curling final. I believe Finland has the last stone advantage, so team Canada is going to get their asses kicked.

Timbuktu

SpoonyBard said:
Finland and Canada for curling final. I believe Finland has the last stone advantage, so team Canada is going to get their asses kicked.

Possibly, that's how they won against Britain, they were level after the 9th and the Fins won it with the final stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom