• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Pochacco said:
Japanese cutie gets the gold!

And breaks the rules in the process! Hooray!

EDIT: Yeah, maybe it's not her fault. Are the judges really that stupid?

Y2Kevbug11 said:

From what i've heard Cohen fell twice which has people wondering how she even managed to get silver.

Sasha was skating with an injury (hip + unkown injury over her knee -- you could see a pack of some sort applied in that location under her outfit), so her performance was pretty good in light of that. I normally think the artistic part of skating is boring, but she's one of the few people who puts together a routine even I can enjoy; watching her is mesmerizing.

Y2Kev

SolidSnakex said:
From what i've heard Cohen fell twice which has people wondering how she even managed to get silver.

Her technical scores were not that high and under the new system, falling isn't really as big a deal as it used to be. There is a deduction, but if you took off properly and completed the spins, you will get points.

And Cohen's artistry is unmatched. Sucks if she's injured. Her component scores were
fantastic
. If she just picked up the technical, well, heh.

Drey1082

sasha cohen =
choking-old.jpg

Y2Kevbug11 said:

How did she break the rules? You can repeat a triple (in her case the sal) twice providing it is in a combo one of the times.

you can see the protocols here http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/1501425/detail.html

WARNING that link has spoilers.

I saw the programs live , Russian pay per view online TV FTW!!! I think the results were mostly fair. I'm just glad Irina didn't win. I can't stand her skating. Also, the US figure skating federation is very powerful. If there was any reason protest the results they would have. If the commentators tonight on NBC scream, it's cos they don't know what theyre talking about.

Sasha isn't injured, she is indeed a choker like the previous poster said. Skaters often ice themsleves when they go out. Sad fact, at 21 she's old for a skater and her body is starting to go. Skating is very hard on the joints from all the pounding and landing.

I am truly sad for sasha I really thought she could finally put two clean programs together. I've been watching her skate since she was a novice (thats like ten years now :lol) and she has NEVER gone thru a compitition with out falling at least once. Most always after skating a blinder for a short, then blowing it in the free, just like here :( I still to this day think she was robbed of the bronze in SLC. Tho the biggest choker of all is the girl above you refer to as Dino, she can do 3/3/3s in her sleep and jump like the men. nly on practice ice tho, she falls apart for every. single. event. ever. She's another one I've been watching since she was a mere child.

I bet an injured Kwan would have medaled here considering at her test skate she had to bypass Nationals, she did 5 triples and the rest of her skating is top notch even if it is boring. The winner tonight did 5 triples andn o 3/3 She must be kicking her self right now. Im sure she would have placed higher than Emily. Tho Im glad she did pull out, Emily has peaked as an athlete, so it was good for her to get an olympic experience. She is never going to get a triple triple, her jumps are so tiny as it is. I would guess she has 1-2 years left of skating and has no chance to for Vancouver. If she skated for a country that didn't dominate in the sport, she'd have more of a chance. Kimmie OTOH has a very bright future indeed. As well as that Georgan girl. And of course Mao Asada the girl who's beat every one of the skaters on the poduim tonight. Many times over in fact, but was too young to compete at the olympics by two weeks. So sad they put in age limits.

Y2Kev

onion_pixy said:
How did she break the rules? You can repeat a triple (in her case the sal) twice providing it is in a combo one of the times.

you can see the protocols here http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/1501425/detail.html

WARNING that link has spoilers.

I saw the programs live , Russian pay per view online TV FTW!!! I think the results were mostly fair. I'm just glad Irina didn't win. I can't stand her skating. Also, the US figure skating federation is very powerful. If there was any reason protest the results they would have. If the commentators tonight on NBC scream, it's cos they don't know what theyre talking about.

Sasha isn't injured, she is indeed a choker like the previous poster said. Skaters often ice themsleves when they go out. Sad fact, at 21 she's old for a skater and her body is starting to go. Skating is very hard on the joints from all the pounding and landing.

I am truly sad for sasha I really thought she could finally put two clean programs together. I've been watching her skate since she was a novice (thats like ten years now :lol) and she has NEVER gone thru a compitition with out falling at least once. Most always after skating a blinder for a short, then blowing it in the free, just like here :( I still to this day think she was robbed of the bronze in SLC.

I bet an injured Kwan would have medaled here considering at her test skate she had to bypass Nationals, she did 5 triples and the rest of her skating is top notch even if it is boring. She must be kicking her self right now. Im sure she would have placed higher than Emily. Tho Im glad she did pull out, Emily has peaked as an athlete, so it was good for her to get an olympic experience. She is never going to get a triple triple, her jumps are so tiny as it is. I would guess she has 1-2 years left of skating and has no chance to for Vancouver. If she skated for a country that didn't dominate in the sport, she'd have more of a chance. Kimmie OTOH has a very bright future indeed. As well as that Georgan girl. And of course Mao Asada the girl who's beat every one of the skaters on the poduim tonight. Many times over in fact, but was too young to compete at the olympics by two weeks. So sad they put in age limits.

I was just repeating what the announcers had said. I think it was a Lutz, too.

KIMMIE is a great name to say. She looks 12. Cool. And Emily sucks.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Sasha was skating with an injury (hip + unkown injury over her knee -- you could see a pack of some sort applied in that location under her outfit), so her performance was pretty good in light of that. I normally think the artistic part of skating is boring, but she's one of the few people who puts together a routine even I can enjoy; watching her is mesmerizing.
No, the ice pack is NOT for an injury.

The last time anyone saw Cohen late Tuesday, she was walking out of the rink with a bag of ice strapped on her leg. She said it was strictly for "maintenance," but there were subsequent reports of a groin irritation.

Nicks ruled out those reports, saying, "I don't think so…. She has occasional muscle problems and uses a lot of ice, but it's nothing out of the ordinary."

Weiss added that when Cohen stayed at his home recently, she had iced after every practice.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...483288.column?page=2&coll=la-headlines-sports

As for the hip injury, it's been healed.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureskating/5074488/detail.html

Onion: If Slutskaya and Arakawa can medal at 27 and 24, then why can't Cohen compete at 25?

:( I was cheering for Slutskaya. She has the sob story, and her age will definitely be pushing it for the next Olympics.

Y2Kev

Hammy said:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...483288.column?page=2&coll=la-headlines-sports

Onion: If Slutskaya and Arakawa can medal at 27 and 24, then why can't Cohen compete at 25?

:( I was cheering for Slutskaya. She has the sob story, and her age will definitely be pushing it for the next Olympics.
Slutskaya has not had a good olympic career. She really had it within her grasp last time...and this time...but last time was particularly disappointing. This time you have to wonder what happened to her. If she was just a little more sucky last time, Michelle Kwan would have won, too.

Hammy said:

She wore one pack slightly above her knee on only one leg during her actual free skate, which strikes me as strange, but I'm definitely not an expert. The commentators mentioned that she hadn't been showing up to public practice very often either, leading them to theorize she might be concealing an injury. Also strange that she fucked up in the beginning of her routine instead of the end (it's usually the other way around).

yes, she did two lutz and two sals. Each in combo. The announcers probably got confused becase a while she has a proper outside edge on her lutz, she tends to 'lip. Uh, that probably makes no sense to you. Flip=inside edge take off, lutz= outside edge take off. Other than that, the jumps are identical. A lot of skaters tend to have a problem with either the Flip or the Lutz take off edge. Shizza lips, which means her flips take off from an outside edge and look like lutzs. Therefor confusing the commentators into thinking she is doing 4 of the same jump. You can tell which jump the skater is intending to do to do by the steps they use to lead into it. I could go into future detail, but Id probably bore you more than I am.

Sasha, on the other hand has a terrible flutzing problem. Her lutz looks like a flip. So for either skater it can appear they are doing 4 of the same jump, when really theyre intending to do two of each, but they just look the same. You can see this reflected in the marks in the GOE. An imporper take off edge willgarner you a -1 for a jump. In Sasha's case her air position and landing are so good, that she can still get a +1 or +2 on the jump, even with the incorrect take off edge.

a lutz has a higher base point value and is the harder jump. So its better to lip then to flutz, tho really, neither is good. Most skaters do one or the other, so what can you do. Irina, the bronze medalist is one of the few ladies who does neither.

Hammy said:

Sasha avoided the offical practice ice becasueshe wanted to avoid the press asking her if she'd fuck up again etc. . She dosent handle pressure or deal with press well. I think that's obvious :p...:(

She had rented a private practice facility with Kimmie about 90 minutes away from Torino where press was not allowed. So yes, she was practicing.

I think she can compete until Vancouver, I never said she couldnt. Emily I don't think will make the cut. Both will have tough challenges ahead with the up and comers from Japan as well as in the US. Sasha now has a reputation both within the US skating federation and the international judges, so she will be given the benefit of the doubt just like Kwan was for so many years. Emily does not have this going for her, tho her older sister does help.

Personally, I dont know if Sasha wants to stay in, she has a lot of other interets besides skating and I really get the feeling she loves to skate, not to compete. Training at the eliteleve is hard work, and come on, putting ice packs on for maintnence at 21 years old? Thats gotta fucking suck. Look at Tara Lipinski, Gold medalist from Nagano, she can hardly skate at all any more and thats after a few hip operations. She's what? 23? I dont think thats the life Sahsa wants. I could see her much happier as a show skater, and frankly would enjoy her more there.

MASB

:( :( :(

Poor Irina. She might've won the gold if she had skated cleanly. I can't believe she only got the bronze though. It's rare that one can bomb twice and still win the silver. But Sasha's artistic so I guess it doesn't matter how many times she falls. :p

Maybe Irina can go out winning the world championship one more time (assuming she plans to retire after this season).

:lol Shani was just on the Tonight Show. Pretty funny appearance.

Tom: Why do you think the Dutch are so into speed skating?
Shani: I think its because its the only thing they're goo...Uhh...You know what, I have no answer for that.

Anybody know where to buy Olympic merchandise?

I've been looking for one of those blue Italy (Italia) hoodies that almost all the Italian athletes are wearing. It seems most stores are just selling stupid merchandise that says "Turin 2006".

EDIT: Found em... https://www.olympicstore.it/e-shop/sIndex.asp?qta=

$100 for the hoodie in question. I'll wait until they are half off...

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Shani was on the Today Show and they were going to ask him what's up between him and Chad...

I had to leave for work before that segment came on :(

pestul

And thus begins the biggest match in Newfoundland history.. they closed schools for the afternoon. Pretty much everything is shutting down to watch this. The local arena will broadcast 4 live feeds to CBC.

I think they're going a little too overboard for a game that could definately go either way. Then again, we're so proud of Gushue it doesn't really matter away.

pestul

Wow.. I know why he missed that easy draw for 7. He was too pumped up after knowing it was over. Damn, to be honest though, Gushue played really bad today. He's lucky he had two guys curl 100%. Awesome job though guys! Party on George St. tonight! :D

calder

Great game, Nichols was out of his fucking mind with some of those shots. Finally the Canadian men get a Oly gold! Mike Harris had to stand there as a CBC commentator with a blank face while Don Whitman explained that Harris in 98 and Martin in 02 could only win silver. :lol

Wow. Clara Hughes from Canada gets the gold and Klassen the bronze.

The women have really impressed me in these Olympics.

Good job! :D

Sandman42

If Cindy Klassen was a country, she would have finished 15th in the medal standings (out of 26)

Ahead of:
Croatia
Czech Republic
Australia
Japan
Finland
Poland
Belarus
Bulgaria
Great Britain
Slovakia
Ukraine
Latvia

Bode Miller to America: You Got Punk'd. Thanks for the plane tickets, though!
Bode on his performance: ‘I did it my way’
Miller says ‘I got to party and socialize at an Olympic level,’ not win medals

SESTRIERE, Italy - Unbent, unbowed and ultimately unsuccessful, Bode Miller said in an interview Saturday he is skiing away from these Olympics on his own terms — content without any medals and impressed by the local nightlife.

“I just did it my way. I’m not a martyr, and I’m not a do-gooder. I just want to go out and rock. And man, I rocked here,” Miller said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press soon after he skidded off the slalom course in his fifth and final race, completing an 0-for-the-Olympics.

Miller came to the Italian Alps cresting on a wave of expectations and was considered a medal threat in every Alpine event. But he failed to finish three of them and his best showing was fifth in the downhill — part of a games with few highlights for the U.S. Ski Team.

“The expectations were other people’s,” Miller said. “I’m comfortable with what I’ve accomplished, including at the Olympics. I came in here to race as hard as I could. That was my obligation to myself.”

As for his obligation to prepare, Miller said he was less ready for these games than the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, where he won two silver medals.

“I’ve been living my life as if I might have died two weeks before the Olympics started,” he said. “That left me the opportunity to dig deep, to go down that other route, to make more sacrifices and get back to where I was.”

Miller said that while he might have prepared differently, he isn’t one to second guess and he started each race fully focused and determined to win.

He called his Olympic experience “awesome” and cited the gold medals by teammates Julia Mancuso and Ted Ligety as one reason. Another, he said, was Sestriere’s bar scene.

“My quality of life is the priority. I wanted to have fun here, to enjoy the Olympic experience, not be holed up in a closet and not ever leave your room,” he said. “People said, ’Why can’t you stay in for the two weeks, three weeks? You’ve got the rest of your life to experience the games the way everybody else does.’ But I like the whole package. I always have.”

He compared his Olympic experience to fellow American Daron Rahlves, who was a favorite in the downhill and a contender in the super-G but didn’t come close to the podium.

“Look at what happened to Rahlves. He was holed up in his RV, he’s probably the fittest guy out here and he made a point of talking about how important the Olympics were to him,” Miller said. “And then look — a little bad luck and he’s got nothing to show for the whole thing.

“Me, it’s been an awesome two weeks,” Miller said. “I got to party and socialize at an Olympic level.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11560736/

Sandman42 said:
If Cindy Klassen was a country, she would have finished 15th in the medal standings (out of 26)

Ahead of:
Croatia
Czech Republic
Australia
Japan
Finland
Poland
Belarus
Bulgaria
Great Britain
Slovakia
Ukraine
Latvia

HAHAHA.

Canada just got a medal in men's 500m short track speeding skating. It's either bronze or silver -- Steve Armatige can't seem to figure out which and Catriona "This is working ice X 2 million" Lemay Doan hasn't bothered correcting him. So that's 23 medals in total, good for 3rd place in the standings.

Memles

Canada gets pretty damn close to the original prediction of 25 medals, will finish in third place in the medal standings, and will leave Turin with 12 Fourth-Place finishes as well (Two more today with Leuders in the 4-Man and Bedard in the Men's 500M).

Another fun note: Compared to our medal count from Salt Lake, we are up by 7 medals. However, the 7 medals gained were all Silver; our gold and bronze counts remain unchanged.

I'm not sure there's been a year where the flagbearer has been quite so obvious.

Go Canada

We got to 24 without the men's hockey medal, Wotherspoon's choke job and a few other disappointments

We're gonna own Vancouver :D

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Wow. Canada really turned it on.
Hate to be greedy, but with a little more luck, we could've easily gotten 30+.
Nevertheless, awesome performance!!
Clara Hughes has terrible teeth.

calder

Great end to a great Olympics for Canada (give or take one or two events ;p)!

Should be in good shape for Vancouver.

Y2Kev

Memles said:
Canada gets pretty damn close to the original prediction of 25 medals, will finish in third place in the medal standings, and will leave Turin with 12 Fourth-Place finishes as well (Two more today with Leuders in the 4-Man and Bedard in the Men's 500M).

Another fun note: Compared to our medal count from Salt Lake, we are up by 7 medals. However, the 7 medals gained were all Silver; our gold and bronze counts remain unchanged.

I'm not sure there's been a year where the flagbearer has been quite so obvious.

Actually, Canada finishes in 5th:

"These rankings are sorted by the number of gold medals earned by a country. The number of silvers is taken into consideration next and then the number of bronze. If, after the above, countries are still tied, equal ranking is given and they are listed alphabetically. This follows the system used by the IOC, IAAF and BBC."

Pos Country Total Medals
1 Germany 11 12 6 29
2 United States 9 9 7 25
3 Austria 9 7 6 22
4 Russia 8 5 8 21
5 Canada 7 10 7 24

But good showing from everybody anyway.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Actually, Canada finishes in 5th:

"These rankings are sorted by the number of gold medals earned by a country. The number of silvers is taken into consideration next and then the number of bronze. If, after the above, countries are still tied, equal ranking is given and they are listed alphabetically. This follows the system used by the IOC, IAAF and BBC."

Pos Country Total Medals
1 Germany 11 12 6 29
2 United States 9 9 7 25
3 Austria 9 7 6 22
4 Russia 8 5 8 21
5 Canada 7 10 7 24

But good showing from everybody anyway.
THIRRRRRRRDDDDDD (unofficially). I always look at total medals won regardless of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom