• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh My, How Does Propulsion Work In Starfield?

Maybe this has been answered before but I'm kind of a buff about the technical aspects of science fiction universes and especially of spacecraft and their means of traveling through space.

Exactly how do ships travel from solar system to solar system and Starfield?

What kind of propulsion do they use? Do they generate wormholes artificially and then travel through the subspace tunnel to another location?

Do they fold space somehow that differs from creating a wormhole?

Is it like Mass Effect where they sort of create a massless "corridor" through space?

One thing I doubt is travel between the stars requires cryogenics because that wouldn't make sense in the gameplay so I figure there's some more kind of advanced FTL travel involved here.

There's a lot of danger in traveling FTL depending on what it is you're using. For instance what happens if something happens in a wormhole and you get lost? You could get shunted into another dimension or another time. Oh my dear we won't want that.

I really hope we get to learn more about the propulsion systems of being spacecraft being used in the game. One aspect of a highly advanced space fairing civilization is their ability to travel from point A to point B in extremely limited time if not instantaneously.

I hope maybe we get a technical manual one of these days kind of like how those visual dictionaries work for the Star Wars franchise or even the Halo one.

Come on guy, help me out. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
spaceballs GIF

Your ship has a “Gravdrive”. I think you do a bending space time thing. Todd talked about it.
Okay that's some pretty advanced technology we have here.

I'm glad it's not like the Alien universe where you pretty much have to be in cryogenic suspension to get from point A to point B because it takes so long.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I really should mention that I am a huge floor buff when it comes to games. I really do care about the background setting, the World building and the characters when it comes to video games. There are good games out there that I just won't care much about because I don't like the setting or characters.

The Elder Scrolls is amazing. It just has such an amazing cosmology and different races and people and World building that I fell in love with it. The very setting of The Elder Scrolls itself is a personality. It's why I like it so much especially. I'm very interested in how Starfield is going to fare this way. Everything about it so far sounds pretty good even though I'm more of a Space Opera kind of person that likes to deal with different alien species but I also like a more realistic approach where aliens are truly mysterious and in human, which is what I think they're going for in Starfield. Some of it reminds me of the Expanse, especially if you get into the weirder stuff from the novels.

I think this first Starfield game is not going to be the last unless it's a real complete failure. I think either future downloadable content but probably a full-blown sequel is going to deal more with alien intelligence. This is going to be a slow burn like the Expense but I'm very fine with that.

In fact, my favorite aspect from the trailers is that whole thing about the alien artifact they talk about and show briefly. I am very excited to see what the end game content is going to be like and what the big reveal is going to be. But I would almost guarantee you that when we reach the end and find out more about that alien artifact, it's almost going to be like a cliffhanger with more questions than answers that will be brought to us either in DLC or in a sequel.

The scheme is going to have a very compelling story and nobody's talking about that aspect. But here I am. That's what I'm looking forward to, I'll tell you h'wut.

Guilty_AI

Wormholes, warp, gravdrive, ftl device, space science magic, very very advanced technology, highly doubt the details matter that much. Especially when it doesn't exist anyway.

But if you must know, the staple for these sort of games is space warp for FLT travel through a solar system, wormhole thingies for system to system traversal.

Last edited:
Wormholes, warp, gravdrive, ftl device, space science magic, very very advanced technology, highly doubt the details matter that much. Especially when it doesn't exist anyway.

But if you must know, the staple for these sort of games is space warp for FLT travel through a solar system, wormhole thingies for system to system traversal.
Oh I understand what you're saying but but Bethesda is known for their World building and how things work. So I'm sure they'll give us an idea of what kind of propulsion is being used.

Plus, as you know from Star Trek and I guess you could even say Event Horizon, the propulsion systems usually end up as part of some story especially when they malfunction. I mean if they had Gellar Fields, may the Emperor of Man have mercy on their souls.

Go play through No Mans Sky and you’ll probably answer 99% of your questions about Starfield.

But seriously….Warp drive of some sort
I never really found that game to be too interesting. I think the graphics kind of turn me off plus I read something about the "big reveal" about the NMS universe found that really turns me off.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I never really found that game to be too interesting. I think the graphics kind of turn me off plus I read something about the "big reveal" about the NMS universe found that really turns me off.
I played it at launch and felt disappointed. Then I revisited about a year and a half after launch and it was amazing. It is a great relaxation game.

Sleepwalker

The ships core is fueled by Phil and Todd's lies, as such its an infinite source of power that allows for nearly immediate teleportation (via loading screen) into space.

Last edited:
I was of the opinion they were leaning more on the Star Trek approach of some kind of warpdrive. Certainly in the footage enemies just appear after a flash much like they do in Star Trek.

daveonezero

Banned
Wish it was like Hyperion.

Accelerate so fast everyone on board turns to mush but you have a technology that regenerates your body when you arrive.

Razvedka

Banned
Maybe this has been answered before but I'm kind of a buff about the technical aspects of science fiction universes and especially of spacecraft and their means of traveling through space.

Exactly how do ships travel from solar system to solar system and Starfield?

What kind of propulsion do they use? Do they generate wormholes artificially and then travel through the subspace tunnel to another location?

Do they fold space somehow that differs from creating a wormhole?

Is it like Mass Effect where they sort of create a massless "corridor" through space?

One thing I doubt is travel between the stars requires cryogenics because that wouldn't make sense in the gameplay so I figure there's some more kind of advanced FTL travel involved here.

There's a lot of danger in traveling FTL depending on what it is you're using. For instance what happens if something happens in a wormhole and you get lost? You could get shunted into another dimension or another time. Oh my dear we won't want that.

I really hope we get to learn more about the propulsion systems of being spacecraft being used in the game. One aspect of a highly advanced space fairing civilization is their ability to travel from point A to point B in extremely limited time if not instantaneously.

I hope maybe we get a technical manual one of these days kind of like how those visual dictionaries work for the Star Wars franchise or even the Halo one.

Come on guy, help me out. Let me know what you think.
EMhxVBEW4AEb3jk.jpg:large

raduque

Plus, as you know from Star Trek and I guess you could even say Event Horizon, the propulsion systems usually end up as part of some story especially when they malfunction. I mean if they had Gellar Fields, may the Emperor of Man have mercy on their souls.
Funny you should mention Event Horizon and the Imperium.

Have you seen this rabbit hole?

Funny you should mention Event Horizon and the Imperium.

Have you seen this rabbit hole?

That's been known about for a while.

Not only that but the screenwriter for Event Horizon is legitimately a Warhammer 40,000 fan and pretty much use it as the inspiration for the movie.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
oh I want there to be an Event Horizon replica relic in the game so bad now.

Top Bottom