• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, how many have you bought something from the Epic Store.

the only reason flash sales went away was because steam implemented their refund policy and it would be a shit show with everyone wanting to refund their 75% off game to buy it again at 90% or in some cases people would be buying a game dirt cheap, play an hour and refund it.
some people would have proffered to keep the flash sales and don't have refunds but that would also be a shit show as the EU was forcing steam to implement refunds and it would make the experience for people from the europe worse than other countries.

i think we are long past the times of games coming out complete and without the need of patching to make them playable, patches used to be optional back then and they improved an already complete and functional game. patches today are almost as big as the game itself and they are required to even run some of these games to begin with. it's a sad sorry state but one that we can't move away from.
game launchers and storefronts are kind of a necessity these days and i'm sure people wouldn't have any issues with using epic too if there wasn't any of those shitty stuff coming from them.
Yeah I get that too. I used to be a big Unreal Tournament player, and I remember when they’d put out the huge “packs” and if you didn’t have the level or updates downloaded when joining matches it would make you wait while it tried to download the stuff.

And doing that on 56K lol 😢

You don't get it because you obviously don't know anything about the different storefronts. Steam has actually put money they've made into quality of life improvements for their customers. Epic's storefront is a steaming pile of manure.

Steam has:

Trading cards (some people like these)
Big Picture mode
Broadcasting/streaming options
Game-specific forums
Parental Controls
Library sharing
A MASSIVE library of games
Mobile app
Item trading and marketplace
Customizable user profiles
Review system
Media sharing
Customizable backgrounds for games via grid system
Library organization

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Epic Games Store has been around for almost three years now. They are a multi-billion dollar company who decided they would rather spend their money fighting Apple (and losing) over in-app purchases rather than enhancing their storefront. The two storefronts aren't in the same league by any stretch of the imagination. And yet, Epic is telling me that I have to use their crappy storefront in order to get Epic Games Store exclusive games. I'm not going to use a garbage storefront from a garbage company headed up by a garbage human being.

On topic, I have purchased zero games from Epic, but I get their free games every week. I have never played them, and I will never get their launcher. I only get these free games because Epic has to pay money for every free game that is claimed, and I want to do my part in helping them towards bankruptcy.

talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face

I care about games, not a bunch of trivial BS

PhoenixTank

Bought? No.
Free games - yeah why not? I get games, devs get paid. Win Win.
A couple redeemed from promotions with a product purchase. Outer Worlds aside, I haven't spent much time on any of them.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
Epic Games Store has been around for almost three years now. They are a multi-billion dollar company who decided they would rather spend their money fighting Apple (and losing) over in-app purchases rather than enhancing their storefront. The two storefronts aren't in the same league by any stretch of the imagination. And yet, Epic is telling me that I have to use their crappy storefront in order to get Epic Games Store exclusive games. I'm not going to use a garbage storefront from a garbage company headed up by a garbage human being.
Agree with that...

Steam has:

Trading cards (some people like these)
Big Picture mode
Broadcasting/streaming options
Game-specific forums
Parental Controls
Library sharing
A MASSIVE library of games
Mobile app
Item trading and marketplace
Customizable user profiles
Review system
Media sharing
Customizable backgrounds for games via grid system
Library organization
... but these things have no value or use to me, maybe I'm part of a minority

ViolentP

I have a bunch of games on EGS. Same as the Ubisoft store, Origin, and Steam.

But those of you boycotting storefronts for reasons, I applaud your bravery.

You asked a question and I answered it. You do what you want, but keep your shitty attitude away from me. There's no reason for you to be a prick to someone because their opinions are different from yours.

pointing out that games >>>> store fronts isn’t being a prick.

do whatever you want as well, I’m just saying that your stance is kind of missing the point. I’m not going to punish myself over a business decision I have no control over and isnt that big of a deal

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Agree with that...

... but these things have no value or use to me, maybe I'm part of a minority

Not everyone wants/needs all of the options that Steam has to offer. If those hold no value to you that's perfectly fine. We're not all cookie-cutter versions of each other. I personally hate EGS, but other people love them. We're not bonded together on this forum because of a platform (Xbox, Playstation, Steam, Epic Games Store, et cetera). We're bonded together by our love of gaming. :)

Last edited:

KillerKowalski

Neo Member
A game called Observation was Epic exclusive when it came out.

Other than that, I've got about 100 games for free from their weekly deal thing.

Anyone that's against the free games is weird.

catvonpee

I bought Zombies Army 4 since it's like my favorite franchise since they paid for the exclusive rights and it was the only way to play it on PC.

//DEVIL//

I am not an idiot to stick to one console / one store. people with this mentality should seek a hospital. especially so on PC. like, I can probably understand why some people don't buy multiple consoles. Maybe not enough space, or don't like the games a specific company develop ( not everyone likes Mario/god of war/halo), or no money to afford another console ( even though I do question where you getting your 80$ per game ...)

So I buy the game wherever there is a cheap price for this.

Do I prefer steam over Epic? sure, it has more stuff in it. but that doesn't mean Epic won't get better with their store.

I have like 10 games I bought from Epic. and frankly in the last few months. My purchases recently have been more on epic recently )

The last game I bought on Epic was Tetris Connected and Death stranding ( that was even 12$ Canadian after the mega sale discount ) how the hell I am supposed to say no to that when It was never this low on steam.

I like a competition between companies. It saves me money. I do not want to be loyal to a plastic box with a specific logo or software on pc.

Graciaus

do whatever you want as well, I’m just saying that your stance is kind of missing the point. I’m not going to punish myself over a business decision I have no control over and isnt that big of a deal
You do have control over the situation though. All developers and publishers saw the massive backlash and more importantly the loss of sales. Epic might have ate the cost but the damage to reputations isn't so easily fixed. They all came back to Steam eventually and less deals are made today.

bitbydeath

You do have control over the situation though. All developers and publishers saw the massive backlash and more importantly the loss of sales. Epic might have ate the cost but the damage to reputations isn't so easily fixed. They all came back to Steam eventually and less deals are made today.
If the games are cheaper on Epic then go there, if they’re cheaper on steam or gog then go there.

Should be simple, no need for wars.
Honestly, it was Valve’s fault for standardising store fronts in the first place.

Hoddi

I've still only bought a couple of games from them because they were on sale. But I also don't care even slightly about stupid gamer politics.

The only reason I mostly buy from Steam is because they charge me in USD while every other store charges me in Euros. I otherwise just buy from whichever store has the lower price given the current exchange rate.

lukilladog

talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face

I care about games, not a bunch of trivial BS

That is very shortsighted argument from your personal personal experience, it is like saying that gamepad support is trivial because you don´t care about it. Things like the review system and the forum have demonstrated to have an actual impact on publishers and devs, making games better as a result.

Ps.- I only created an account there to pick free Battlefront 2, now I have put a nocd on it and have deleted Origin and Epic.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I bought Satisfactory, because it was a paid exclusive and it looked good. I should've waited for the Steam release, really.

In any case, I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: Epic need their store to offer something new or better than Steam. As it stands right now, they provide free games that I might play one day, but I have no intention of spending money there because they offer nothing that Steam doesn't already offer.

Chukhopops

I bought Death Stranding for €13 during the last sale. I didn’t like it at all but I have no regret about buying on EGS, at least I wasted less money.

Ryu Kaiba

I claim free games but have yet to play any of them or to purchase anything. If Square keeps releasing stuff exclusive to Epic Games Store than it's only a matter of time before I do end up buying.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I bought world war z at release.

The game eventually became free.

I don't buy games anymore because they might get free. I can wait.

Edit: City of brass looked pretty fun but forgot to claim it when it was free, and I don't want to pay for anything that was free at one point.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I have been redeeming free games pretty regularly for a while now, but have yet to even install one, let alone purchase anything.

They might finally get me to install something with Nioh. Very doubtful that I’ll ever spend a dime.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I was close to buying Witcher 3 GOTY for $5 when Epic had that $10 Coupon promotion, but I didn't. I knew I would never play it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
To be fair, i did all this with a 10 dollar discount coupon...but I bought Mortal Shell, Hades beta, Control.

Free games I've downloaded
NBA2k21
Grand Theft Auto V
Fortnite (duh)
Ark: Survival Evolved
Dauntless
Elite Dangerous
Rocket League
Remnant from the Ashes
Rogue Company
Civilization VI
Subnautica

Brofist

Wait YOU of all people can't understand why someone would prefer a company's product over another? No offense but I find that hard to swallow given your very biased take on things in general.

It's a principle thing for most and if you can't get that there's no reason to continue this conversation. Some people don't like to do business with a company that tries using underhanded tactics to gain leverage. Plus their launcher straight up sucks and is still missing features that should be beyond standard by now.

To answer the OP question I've bought a few games on there and have spent some money on Fortnite. I will buy a game 100% of the time on another service if available.

mxbison

I bought Hades, Immortals Fenyx Rising, and Disco Elysium.

Their sales are really good and I've never had any issues with the launcher.

I don't care about like 90% of Steam features, the only one that puts them way ahead of competition for me is Big Picture mode (including non-xbox controller support).

Wait YOU of all people can't understand why someone would prefer a company's product over another? No offense but I find that hard to swallow given your very biased take on things in general.

It's a principle thing for most and if you can't get that there's no reason to continue this conversation. Some people don't like to do business with a company that tries using underhanded tactics to gain leverage. Plus their launcher straight up sucks and is still missing features that should be beyond standard by now.

To answer the OP question I've bought a few games on there and have spent some money on Fortnite. I will buy a game 100% of the time on another service if available.

sorry, do I know you?

I hate switch hardware but I’m not missing out on BOTW2 just “for the neckbeard principle”

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I don't buy PC games - I steal them - like I would steal a car..

Driving I Love Lucy GIF by Paramount+

Flutta

Banned
Whats wrong with buying games on EGS? 🧐
Might aswell boycott any game made with Unreal Engine if you hate Tim/EPIC that much.

Relique

I bought a few smaller titles like Hades and Disco Elysium when they had $10 coupons. I try to throw them a few bucks for the massive number of free titles I got from them. I can sort of understand what they are trying to do in terms of savings to both the developers and the consumers. I understand this comes at the cost of having a much shittier storefront than steam. I don't like anything about it but now that I can consolidate everything, including gamepass on the GOG galaxy launcher, I am not too bothered with having a bunch of storefronts on my PC anymore.

Larxia

Whats wrong with buying games on EGS? 🧐
Might aswell boycott any game made with Unreal Engine if you hate Tim/EPIC that much.
But Unreal Engine is actually quite amazing. I do hate the Epic Launcher, but I won't deny that Unreal is great just out of principle or whatever.

I don't think we should necesarily mix everything and instantly jump to extremes like that. What most people, me including, don't like, is how Epic is trying to get people to go to their service only by forcing them, giving them no choices, instead of trying to improve their service to be attractive. They are only making the media worse by doing this, it's just lowering the bar.

But it's not for this reason that we should also pretend to hate the good things that they might do, like unreal. For example, as far as I'm concerned I had no problem using their original launcher (before "EGS" was a thing) to play Paragon, trying fornite once and using Unreal Engine, because it was their products on their own platform. The problem only started when they started lowering the PC gaming conveniency and quality in general with all their shitty exclusivity deals because they can't be bothered to improve their service and instead have to resort to forcing people.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

I've purchased Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Online, World War Z and Predator Hunting Grounds from EGS. All of course using the $10 coupon so I got them at a very good price.

schuey7

I've bought Control ,Red Dead Redemption and Metro Exodus , so I guess the store exclusivity brought them my sale.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
I am generally apathetic.

I don't buy there. I don't grab the free shit they offer. It's the same with Playstation. I need to remember and force myself to go out of my way to claim the offers because it is not important at all to me. Xbox is a different story. I use those consoles on a daily basis for games, movies, youtube, spotify, etc.

I've added far more free games from Epic Games than bought games over the years but I do have a substantial library now, including the recently added Kena: Bridge of Spirits, which is sadly only available on PC via the Epic Games Store.

I say "sadly" because personally I am not a fan of the Epic Games Store due to its lack of features in comparison to Steam and would much rather have bought it on Steam if I am being perfectly honest. I've actually double-dipped on a few games for this reason, i.e. I recently picked up Metro Exodus cheap on Steam, which was previously exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Also, I was so happy when WRC 10 released on Steam as the previous instalment (WRC 9 in case you hadn't guessed) was exclusive to the Epic Games Store.

In fact, if I am being brutally honest, I despise the face that certain games are only available on certain launchers,. meaning I have to have 6 or 7 different ones in order to play games on PC. In a ideal world, we should be able to choose which launcher we want to use for a game and buy it from that store,. or better still only have one single launcher for every game that supports multiple stores!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I bought Borderlands 3 because 1/2 are games I loved but I fairly quickly just didn’t click with 3 and haven’t touched it so regret spending that money lol

I wish everything was on Steam, hell everything on every store would be the perfect situation. Let them battle out for features and pricing.

But if something is timed exclusive I can usually wait but might occasionally get impatient.

zkorejo

Fortnite V bucks/season pass. Free Rocket League. Free Plague. That's about it.

There are some good deals there. Why wouldn't I take advantage of that. Same goes for steam.

Duchess

Nothing. I've not got a gaming class PC (not by a long way). But I've got an Epic account just to grab those free games. When eventually I get a laptop or whatever that can play the games, I'll have quite the library!

(I happen to think that integrated GPUs are going to become rather powerful in the next 5 years - AMD's current offers are pretty good at the moment)

Top Bottom