• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamoto's Game Republic Developing 6 Games

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/13/news_6122195.html

Street Fighter creator and former Capcom executive's new studio is currently developing a sextet of titles.

After 19 years, famed game producer Yoshiki Okamoto (Street Fighter) left Capcom for greener pastures. In July 2003, he formed his own development studio, Game Republic, and today that company employs 143 people. In the latest issue of Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, Okamoto has revealed that those employees are working on six new games.

Last month, Okamoto shocked the Japanese video game industry by admitting that his company was developing for the next-generation Xbox. This week, he announced that Genji, which will be the first Game Republic title, will hit Japanese PlayStation 2s at the end of June.

In an interview with Famitsu, Okamoto feels that console launches offer the best opportunity for new development houses to establish themselves. The article implies that this is why Okamoto decided to leave Capcom in 2003, at about the same time as the publisher was beginning to consider the next generation of consoles.

Besides the Genji announcement, previous statements by Okamoto revealed that Game Republic is currently working on at least two other next-generation Xbox titles, one of which will take advantage of Xbox Live. This means that Game Republic still has three unrevealed games up its sleeve.

Hmmm...

Game 1: Genji [PS2]
Game 2: ????? [X360]
Game 3: ????? [X360]
Game 4: ?????
Game 5: ?????
Game 6: ?????

Joe

id say 2 handheld games and either an exclusive ps3/revo game or a multi-platform next-gen game.

jarrod said:
Spill it!! You mean from Game Republic?

Square not Game Republic. But it's pretty obvious given Okamoto's relationship with SCEJ that there is a PS3 and a PSP title in development.

A Genji sequel? Probably.

MassiveAttack said:
Square not Game Republic. But it's pretty obvious given Okamoto's relationship with SCEJ that there is a PS3 and a PSP title in development.

A Genji sequel? Probably.

Wow, do you mean Final Fantasy Tactics? I sure hope so :D

TheDiave

Banned
The End said:
Front Mission for PSP would be the tits.
Yeah it would... The part that'd suck is the battery dying before you get done managing/repairing your mechs.

Sorry, I had to! :lol

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
TheDiave said:
Yeah it would... The part that'd suck is the battery dying before you get done managing/repairing your mechs.

Sorry, I had to! :lol

starwars9.jpg

So we now know they've got a PS3 game in development and that's Genji 2. Massive says there's a PSP game too so that brings the number of games up to 5 which leaves 1 more.

mutsu

With Okamoto's close relationship with Nintendo and Flagship, I wouldn't be surprised if one of these titles are for the DS.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I still think Game 6 will be the best, but that might just be the Sony fan in me.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Uhh, wasn't Genji 2 already announced for PS3? Not sure, thought I saw it mentioned somewhere a couple of days ago.

Elios83

Rei_Toei said:
Uhh, wasn't Genji 2 already announced for PS3? Not sure, thought I saw it mentioned somewhere a couple of days ago.

Yes,they're developing Genji 2 for PS3.
They've announced it at the PS Meeting.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
tetsuoxb said:
His Japanese blog confirms that the GR 360 game will be at X360 Summit.
Nice. Last I heard (a few months ago) the action title was really cool. Hopefully they will show this one tomorrow.

sangreal

I'm bored waiting for this xbox conference to start later and so I started reading his blog archives.

This comment intrigued me:
And I... could tell almost nothing. Yes, I'm working on a title for Xbox360, but any and all of it must be kept secret. There is a reason for the secret and I even cannot expose it. I will show you. Someday. I hope so...

I wonder what the secret reason for the secret is :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
143 people wont do 5 next gen games + 1 PS2 game simultaneously, that's for sure. I'd say 3 next gen games would be stretching those resources thin already - depending on how much they outsource, of course.

Something like 3 next gen games, 1 PS2 game and 2 DS/GBA games sounds about right. Or 2 next gen games, 1 PS2 game and 3 DS/GBA games.

Soul4ger

Damnit, I hate EB. I went in to ask for a release date on Game 6 today, and they all jumped on me, telling me if I didn't pre-order it I wouldn't get it. When I said no, they laughed at me and bid me "Good luck" as I left the store. Fuckers. Why can't I ask a simple question without getting harassed?

Top Bottom