• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa: “Game development will become even longer, more complex, and more sophisticated”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa has explained to Japanese magazine Famitsu that video game development will become even longer, more complex, and more sophisticated in the future and that mergers and acquisitions could be one way to address this. Nintendo isn’t the only company to say that video game development is becoming longer, more costly, and more complex, with both Sony and Xbox echoing this statement in the past.

“He also stated that he believes that further lengthening, complexity, and sophistication of game development is inevitable in the future, and that M&A is one possible means to address this, but added, “First of all, we would like to develop human resources who understand Nintendo’s brand well within the company and who will be responsible for Nintendo’s future development, along with developers who have built our brand over the years. However, the company’s basic policy is to “first of all, understand the Nintendo brand well within the company, and develop human resources who will be responsible for the future development of Nintendo, together with developers who have built the brand over the years.”

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Some things I think Nintendo should do in the near future:
  • Expand the team at Next Level Games, they turned Luigi's Mansion into a multimillion selling franchise and their animation department is movie level already.
  • Get a Korean dev team up and running (or just buy one); Lies of P and Stellar Blade prove they are viable AA+ developers.
  • Make more Pokemon spin-off games with a focus on quality. I honestly believe Pokemon is underutilized as a brand outside the mediocre mainline games.
  • Buy Level 5.
  • LET MONOLITH SOFT COOK LEAVE THEM ALONE

midnightAI

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa has explained to Japanese magazine Famitsu that video game development will become even longer, more complex, and more sophisticated in the future and that mergers and acquisitions could be one way to address this. Nintendo isn’t the only company to say that video game development is becoming longer, more costly, and more complex, with both Sony and Xbox echoing this statement in the past.

“He also stated that he believes that further lengthening, complexity, and sophistication of game development is inevitable in the future, and that M&A is one possible means to address this, but added, “First of all, we would like to develop human resources who understand Nintendo’s brand well within the company and who will be responsible for Nintendo’s future development, along with developers who have built our brand over the years. However, the company’s basic policy is to “first of all, understand the Nintendo brand well within the company, and develop human resources who will be responsible for the future development of Nintendo, together with developers who have built the brand over the years.”
Nintendo are just catching up to the rest of the world who develop for more powerful consoles/PCs

Robb

Gold Member
Feels like Nintendo has positioned themselves very well compared to the competition when it comes to this problem by being able to sell less powerful hardware and, in turn, produce cheaper games.

And when/if someone who has bigger problems finds a good solution to minimize costs of high budget titles they’ll likely be able to just swoop in and use that same (or a similar) solution as well.
Think About It GIF by Identity

• Expand the team at Next Level Games, they turned Luigi's Mansion into a multimillion selling franchise and their animation department is movie level already.
  • Get a Korean dev team up and running (or just buy one); Lies of P and Stellar Blade prove they are viable AA+ developers.
  • Make more Pokemon spin-off games with a focus on quality. I honestly believe Pokemon is underutilized as a brand outside the mediocre mainline games.
  • Buy Level 5.

Luigi Mansion 4
Xenoblade Chronicles 4

👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Imagine when Nintendo has to start doing actual "modern" development. So far they've been doing PS3-level games with far less asset density etc than most PS4/PS5 games. More graphics means more work.

But I suppose they're not about to start trying to make photorealistic games anyway, so maybe this won't really be a problem for them like it has been for many other developers. Many of Nintendo's Switch games would look brilliant on a 4K TV with just some improved textures and higher rendering resolution.

NanaMiku

They actually do many things with Pokemon brand. But it's usually Japan only and mostly non-game

Project Snorlax was pretty big: https://www.serebii.net/projects/projectsnorlax/

Project Voltage too : https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_feat._Hatsune_Miku_Project_VOLTAGE_18_Types/Songs

They opened the sound library for older games to be free-use, but only for Japan:

They preparing the Pokemon TCG Lounge in Japan

Kokoloko85

Yes Nintendo. You’ve been making games that fit on 2010 hardware until now. Switch 2 will be interesting with them having to make games for modeern hardware for the first time in decades

Last edited:

H-I-M

Feels like Nintendo has positioned themselves very well compared to the competition when it comes to this problem by being able to sell less powerful hardware and, in turn, produce cheaper games.

And when/if someone who has bigger problems finds a good solution to minimize costs of high budget titles they’ll likely be able to just swoop in and use that same (or a similar) solution as well.

But with the Switch 2 being rumored to be close to the Series S, it's going to be weird to have on one side these low polygon flagship Pokemon games and on the other side graphically intense third party games.

I wonder how they'll get away with it this time.
200.gif

BlackTron

Yes Nintendo. You’ve been making games that fit on 2010 hardware until now. Switch 2 will be interesting with them having to make games for modern hardware

So is this the real reason for Switch 2 delay? Unforeseen challenges of modern development like when they fumbled from Wii to Wii U and didn't realize how much they would need to update all their tools and learn new things in order to make a HD game? lol

BlackTron

But with the Switch 2 being rumored to be close to the Series S, it's going to be weird to have on one side these low polygon flagship Pokemon games and on the other side graphically intense third party games.

I wonder how they'll get away with it this time.
200.gif

It already looks ridiculous putting Pokemon next to a 2017 Switch game like Mario Odyssey. Why should this be any different

near

Gold Member

Not really. Furukawa is specifically saying in that interview that they face the same inevitable future as Sony and Xbox. Citing development duration and cost as hurdles, with mergers and acquisitions a possible means of mitigating those struggles.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Forgive my ignorance, but why isn't there technology to help speed up development? Having a studio develop just one game a generation seems unsustainable.

Surly AI could be used to help speed up development without costing jobs. It's happening in the film industry (Weta used AI to help with the new planet of the apes film, without making people redundant), so why not the game industry?

Woopah

They have done some M&A activity in recent years, but the focus of their game-specific cash investments is on the expansion of EPD, which I think is the right move

They are also expanding their number of external partners, and I think these two moves are going to help them maintain their 1 game per month cadence.

• Buy Level 5.
15 years ago I would have agreed with you on Level 5. But they are such a mess right now that I don't think Nintendo should go anywhere near them.

Hudo

When you see Nintendo games on PC they will be a lapsed company with the reputation of Atari. Everything they stand for will have to be destroyed first.
That Atari 50th anniversary thing was pretty dope, tho. That 5200 version of Star Raiders is still cool.

BlackTron

That Atari 50th anniversary thing was pretty dope, tho. That 5200 version of Star Raiders is still cool.

Exactly. Long since the end of Atari's reign, their old games worth anything are spammed on all platforms.

This is the only way you will ever see Nintendo on PC. The first step would be a bare minimum of two generations where Nintendo makes every mistake possible and erodes their position. This is just to set the stage for it to get so bad that everyone leaves the company and have new decision makers.

It's not happening.

BlackTron

Funny thing is the Atari of today is making some very sound business decisions.

That's kinda my point, that this idea of N being on PC isn't completely impossible, just implausibly distant.

It's not going to happen because "our games are complex and can therefore take advantage of PC". It'll only happen in dystopia

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I still want less complex 2Dish games. Mario, Metroid, and Zelda still lend themselves to new 2D experiences. Keep making those every once in a while and release them in the middle of mainline 3D games because those games are taking 7 years to develop.

I still want less complex 2Dish games. Mario, Metroid, and Zelda still lend themselves to new 2D experiences. Keep making those every once in a while and release them in the middle of mainline 3D games because those games are taking 7 years to develop.

I prefer 2D Zelda way more than 3D Zelda, so I'm down for whatever new 2D Zelda is coming up

Darsxx82

Now they are going to have to catch up in technology and therefore the games are going to be more expensive and complex to make. The positive side for them is that since Switch 2 has higher power capabilities, there will be many 3rd parties that will make Switch versions of games that were not previously released on their platform due to lack of power to make a port viable. .

My prediction is that First party developments will be reduced but in exchange the greater 3rd party support will compensate for the catalog..... at least until the next generation of hardware is released.

Robb

Gold Member
Not really. Furukawa is specifically saying in that interview that they face the same inevitable future as Sony and Xbox. Citing development duration and cost as hurdles, with mergers and acquisitions a possible means of mitigating those struggles.
Of course they will, but it’s still in the future which is my point. The competition is there now, and has been for a long time.

Surely development costs of high-end Ps5/Series X games are even higher than Ps4/XBO games, which is where Nintendo is seemingly going with “Switch 2”. If their strategy keeps working they’ll always benefit from making less expensive products, in a shorter time-span, than the competition, while still selling them at equivalent prices.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They probably can't believe they are going to have to bite the bullet and go full HD. They held out as long as they could. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

cireza

Ever since the move to HD, Nintendo has been a struggling a bit with game development. Not that the quality isn't there, but it does look like they are taking a ton of time for games that are technically much less complex than what other publishers have to provide on much more powerful hardware.

Wii U was where they suffered the most. They filled the first years of Switch with many ports from the Wii U, but now they have exhausted this solution and are once again facing the same problem : how to release a good enough stream of games ?

I am expecting first party releases on the new Switch to suffer the same way as on Wii U.

drotahorror

Nintendo mad about their profits as they might have to start developing games on hardware that isn't ancient mobile tech.

I really dislike that this sentiment about prolonged game development seems to be echoed throughout most of the AAA industry. Something went wrong along the way if they've collectively decided this is the most apt strategy.

At least we got smaller dev houses out there who diverge from that direction.

Last edited:

Hugare

Nintendo has finally reached with the Switch 2 what game developers have been facing since 2013

But I doubt that Nintendo will use Switch 2 power to make everything more detailed and etc. We will have stuff like TotK but running at 1440p/60.

They dont have to go for realistic graphics and etc. They will use the horse power for better IQ and framerates, I bet.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Didn't Nintendo have the highest amount of "on-hand cash" out of all Japanese companies at one point?
Yep, and based on few days ago, their report is nintendo have more money in switch era, than before their 80s-before switch. Its on twitter/X, havent verify it on other place. The know how to balance between: approach target vs margin income vs development cost

Deerock71

“First of all, we would like to develop human resources who understand Nintendo’s brand well within the company and who will be responsible for Nintendo’s future development, along with developers who have built our brand over the years. However, the company’s basic policy is to “first of all, understand the Nintendo brand well within the company, and develop human resources who will be responsible for the future development of Nintendo, together with developers who have built the brand over the years.”
GIF by Tokkingheads

Top Bottom