• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One FFXVI cutscene is causing a PS5 shutdown crash (only in graphics mode)

ManaByte

NOTE: Before this de-evolves into another overheating freak out and gets locked, this is ONE part of the game and ONLY happens in Graphics mode. Switching to Performance will prevent it.

The Knight of the Lasting Dark cutscene is causing PS5s to shutdown crash when the camera pans up to him. It’s only on Graphics mode, so SE could patch it. Until they do, just switch to Performance to get past it.

StueyDuck

i asked this in the last thread but is this primarily happening in the US where they are having extreme heat waves?

we are currently in winter here and if the problem is overheating then we need to know how much the external temps are playing a role.

Last edited:
Man some people really want to make this into a big deal it feels like. For every system "failure" there's thousands of people playing the game with no issues.
I can see how you'd feel this way, but for people like me who couldn't even get into the game because of crashing it really sucks. I've already made a thread and said my peace about it but it really sucks to not get to play this.

RCU005

Without spoiling too much, where is that cutscene in regards of story? Is it at the end, is it the final boss?

I am currently Right after I got Shiva's powers

Ulysses 31

I've been playing exclusively in graphics mode and have had zero issues with overheating.

Now how would you know this without opening the PS5?

Clean your consoles, people.
Or use a dust cover when you're not using it for long periods of time.

81m0uVyRdsL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Puscifer

in SoP the assets were not compressed in anyway and were huge files that caused the engine itself to chug because of it, and the hilarious part was that the models weren't even that special or highly detailed, they just did 0 optimization to them
Yeah I just checked it out, that's pretty bizarre to say the game looks like it does that it was using uncompressed models.

Banned
in SoP the assets were not compressed in anyway and were huge files that caused the engine itself to chug because of it, and the hilarious part was that the models weren't even that special or highly detailed, they just did 0 optimization to them

oh god I remember seeing that, it's such a weird ass game from every perspective

a 300000 polygon bat model 🤣 it's pure comedy really (for reference, that's more polygons than many main characters have in their cinematic models)

Last edited:

Kurotri

I can see how you'd feel this way, but for people like me who couldn't even get into the game because of crashing it really sucks. I've already made a thread and said my peace about it but it really sucks to not get to play this.
I'm sorry to hear that, its just that these "developments" with this game have confused me.

A.Romero

Just played this part last night and worked fine. I have been putting it in rest mode since the game arrived on release date and playing for short periods of time (except last weekend, I played for like 5 hours straight).

I'm really intrigued by these issues.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have none these issues so far, Titan boss was fight I would imagine that would overheat my system but thankfully it didn't.

I'm sorry to hear that, its just that these "developments" with this game have confused me.
Yeah I hear you. But some are legit. It's just weird I've never had this kind of situation with a game. I feel.for the people that are also having legit issues. I just want square to notice it

hemo memo

Gold Member
Since release, the only game that constantly crashed my PS5 was Cyberpunk on release which is the PS4 version and that game was a disaster on release so it doesn’t count.

As for overheating, mine never overheated before so let me see if this game will do it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sounds like people need to take an air duster to their PS5. I dust mine out every two weeks! Same for my PC!
Let’s not get ridiculous now…. You should maybe have to clean out a console once every 5 years if you are a smoker or live in a dirt hut.. 😵‍💫

Anyway been running graphics mode and have had no issues .. launch disk system.

Thanks for the warning thread. I still don’t get how coming into this thread and posting “hasn’t happened to me and my game is fine” helps anyone other than wanting a free pat on the back, but people like doing it I guess so I won’t bother arguing about it.

Corndog

Banned
I'm playing in graphics and just passed that point a couple nights ago. Mine was fine with a launch day PS5 so I'm thinking this is just a case of people with dusty systems.
I doubt it’s dust. Might only happen under specific circumstances. Ex: after a long gameplay session, or a load,etc. or even a specific model. I’m sure it will be fixed irregardless.

Edit: I don’t know if this is possible, but maybe a pointer with a bad address. If it accidental points to os memory you could have all kinds of problems. Someone with actual ps5 dev experience would probably know if this is possible.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thanks for the warning thread. I still don’t get how coming into this thread and posting “hasn’t happened to me and my game is fine” helps anyone other than wanting a free pat on the back, but people like doing it I guess so I won’t bother arguing about it.

It didn't happen to me either, so the "warning" had I seen it beforehand wouldn't have been warranted.

That's the problem.

So consider this a warning about the warning.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Assuming 5 million players between the retail version and the demo, you'd be looking at maybe 1 ten-thousandth of a percent of people with an issue.

Outside of maybe a power virus, I don't see how a game running on a console could result in overheating. There should be thermal sensors and the fan should rev to it's max, or the chip should throttle. Looks like PS5 resorts to just suspending the game and waiting for cooldown, so the question is does the fan rev up to max speed at these scenes? I can't even hear the fan when I'm playing and it doesn't seem overtly hot. My guess is that these PS5's have issues with the liquid metal thermal paste application, or a poor contact with the heatsink.

Solidus_T

Let’s not get ridiculous now…. You should maybe have to clean out a console once every 5 years if you are a smoker or live in a dirt hut.. 😵‍💫

Anyway been running graphics mode and have had no issues .. launch disk system.
Hey man real talk - five years is way too long. The PS5 hasn't even been out for five years. You should really wait at most 6 months for a full clean, and especially on a PC.

However, for some basic maintenance, It's pretty damn easy to point an air duster at some crucial airflow bottlenecks and dust them off every couple of weeks. It makes a full clean much easier

It didn't happen to me either, so the "warning" had I seen it beforehand wouldn't have been warranted.

That's the problem.

So consider this a warning about the warning.
Even if it’s a 1% issue, I’d rather know a potential problem can occur than being told that nothing should occur and ‘it didn’t happen to me’ if it did occur.

Imagine if a programmer or I.T. guy told you this at your company. The rationale is just odd to me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Even if it’s a 1% issue, I’d rather know a potential problem can occur than being told that nothing should occur and ‘it didn’t happen to me’ if it did occur.

Imagine if a programmer or I.T. guy told you this at your company. The rationale is just odd to me.

The issue is that its trying to connect a general system defect to a specific sequence in a game. As soon as people like me tell you that it didn't effect them, then the entire hypothesis is questionable.

Its clearly not a 1% issue. Otherwise there would be hundreds of thousands of people affected at this precise point in the game! Its more likely a less than 0.001% issue because out of 3 million copies shipped thats still a lot of people who'd be experiencing this exact same bug.

More importantly there were other reports of this game causing PS5's to overheat previously that weren't tied to this specific event. So what does that tell us exactly?

Don't you think it more likely than maybe its highlighting that a small number of units are for some reason hitting their thermal limit under load?

Mr Moose

Don't play Call of Duty, that's crashed plenty of times for me. A few others have too.

Top Bottom