• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One FFXVI cutscene is causing a PS5 shutdown crash (only in graphics mode)

Kamina

Golden Boy
The issue is that its trying to connect a general system defect to a specific sequence in a game. As soon as people like me tell you that it didn't effect them, then the entire hypothesis is questionable.

Its clearly not a 1% issue. Otherwise there would be hundreds of thousands of people affected at this precise point in the game! Its more likely a less than 0.001% issue because out of 3 million copies shipped thats still a lot of people who'd be experiencing this exact same bug.

More importantly there were other reports of this game causing PS5's to overheat previously that weren't tied to this specific event. So what does that tell us exactly?

Don't you think it more likely than maybe its highlighting that a small number of units are for some reason hitting their thermal limit under load?
ACKCHYUALLY…
1% of 3M are tens of thousands, and not all of those would go and complain in the same areas of the internet.

But i get what you mean and mostly agree

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I'm playing in graphics and just passed that point a couple nights ago. Mine was fine with a launch day PS5 so I'm thinking this is just a case of people with dusty systems.
Yeah, the main culprit is the power supply gateway. A few weeks back, my ps5 was shutting itself off on its own and it seemed to be clean AF. I had to buy a specific screwdriver to remove the fan and access that area, which was indeed blocked by dust.

Terrible design from Sony tbh, but since then no issue whatsoever.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yeah, the main culprit is the power supply gateway. A few weeks back, my ps5 was shutting itself off on its own and it seemed to be clean AF. I had to buy a specific screwdriver to remove the fan and access that area, which was indeed blocked by dust.

There was dust somewhere that is inaccessible due to the fan?
Edit: okay i just watched a cleaning video. I will definitely check that out before playing the game.

Last edited:
Do these people play their PS5s in a sauna or something?

Also, "I think I'm traumatized". Dude STFU, you sound like a K-pop teenage fan on spring break. Relax.

The issue is that its trying to connect a general system defect to a specific sequence in a game. As soon as people like me tell you that it didn't effect them, then the entire hypothesis is questionable.

Its clearly not a 1% issue. Otherwise there would be hundreds of thousands of people affected at this precise point in the game! Its more likely a less than 0.001% issue because out of 3 million copies shipped thats still a lot of people who'd be experiencing this exact same bug.

More importantly there were other reports of this game causing PS5's to overheat previously that weren't tied to this specific event. So what does that tell us exactly?

Don't you think it more likely than maybe its highlighting that a small number of units are for some reason hitting their thermal limit under load?

Even there, though, a question could be asked as to what's the condition of the affected units. Are they brand new or second-hand? What condition were they in when purchased? Do the users have a dusty home? Do they have their systems in a place where ventilation is sufficient? Hell, did they maybe drop the system before or have something fall against it by accident?

And while FF XVI is a gorgeous game, I wouldn't say it's more technically demanding then, say, HFW: Burning Shores. So if a very small batch of units are hitting thermal limits under load, then it could be an issue with the way that segment of the game is programmed and not necessarily something more of a system fault or the limits being pushed with an otherwise well-optimized/coded segment.

Trying to be very careful with wording there because I 100% am not trying to imply any "lazy dev" BS here. But even the best-coded games could have a particular point that isn't as optimized as the rest of the game due to something which was otherwise hard or impossible to account for.

Strange to paradise have terrible performance in all platforms, because they didn't reduce the number of polygon models like developers usually do for performance reasons. The number of polygons unaltered is excessive huge even for High end GPUs

Interesting. I wonder if FF XVI is utilizing any mesh shading culling features (yes the PS5 supports mesh shading, just in case someone wants to say it doesn't).

Though it could also be a LOD management issue too for the character and environment models. This is highly speculative, though. Given how rare the situation even pops up, safer to assume the affected peoples have probably done something to their units that have since caused the problem to pop up.

Unfortunate for those individuals but when it's barely 1% of 1%, 🤷‍♂️:/

Last edited:

It’s helping some out there pinpoint and/or avoid an issue as much as possible. Like I said, the percentage amount doesn’t matter if it’s happened more than once. The alternative to doing this is people here ‘defending’ the game, as if the people pointing out issues are trying to ‘attack’ it and not simply pointing out an issue to warn others.

A bunch of people here are basically taking defensive stances when no one here is trying to attack this game, like they’re spamming parry in sekiro. This is simply a warning thread and that’s all, but like I said before, people feel the need to defend against it for some reason.

…Or they resort to sarcasm, like so:

Don't play Call of Duty, that's crashed plenty of times for me. A few others have too.

PanzerCute

Stop gaslighting with this shit.
It's a well known issue that PS5s overheat with this particular game.
No. If your PS5 has an issue and shut down on its own its not a software issue (didnt have ANY issue with FF16) But 99% of chance that comes from that power supply gateway, which is horribly designed.

Believe me I went crazy over this overheating issue and tried everything, and one thing fixed everything.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Stop gaslighting with this shit.
It's a well known issue that PS5s overheat with this particular game.
Dozens out of 4-5 million is not even one thousandth of a percent. That is statistically irrelevant. A game running on a console shouldn’t be able to overheat the unit. That’s a bios or hardware issue.

From what’s being described above it’s a power supply issue, and not even related to the SoC.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just some random data. I ran my PS5(CFI-1215B) into a power usage meter and played the demo in Graphics mode from a save point just before the morbol boss. I played the rest of the demo from there and the highest power consumption was 231W just before you do your first cinematic strike. If you leave the little tutorial screen going it will run the PS5 indefinitely at ~230W. For the hell of it I let it run for 5 minutes like that. I never really heard any audible fluctuation of the fan. It sounded the same as it does at 180W. The Eikon battle was surprisingly much lower, mostly fluctuating in the 180-195W range during combat. I think I have the newer model of PS5, so it's possible the older model has higher peak power consumption.

Sony's 5-game UHD power consumption had an average of 210W. The PS5 power supply is like 350W with 85-90% efficiency rating. I saw a video where a guy pumped 350W through it without active cooling and it went 2 minutes before it hit it's thermal limit and shutdown at around 88°C. I've read threads on Reddit showing dust buildup over the PSU vent and stating that they have overheating issues with PS5 games. It's possible that's the issue here, as stated by PanzerCute PanzerCute .

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Man some people really want to make this into a big deal it feels like. For every system "failure" there's thousands of people playing the game with no issues.
If it sold millions and only thousands are not having issues isn't that a problem?

Dalmascus

i asked this in the last thread but is this primarily happening in the US where they are having extreme heat waves?

we are currently in winter here and if the problem is overheating then we need to know how much the external temps are playing a role.
just out of curiosity, where can I find winter in july? you in the Arctic? edit : google helped me

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems way more likely to me that some PS5's have either lost or displaced their liquid metal over time, reducing conductivity and lowering cooling efficiency.

I highly doubt its possible for software to actually push the hardware beyond its limits, if this was the case it would have shown up during development, somewhere, some time. The PS5 is a fixed architecture, so its not like a PC where a new GPU and might conceivably exhibit unforseen behaviour under particular circumstances that the developers hadn't experienced.

Its not logical, especially if the code itself isn't crashing or locking up the system, and its just the system's thermal cut-out being triggered as a safety precaution against hardware damage.

hlm666

Probably overheating memory modules, remember the temps at ps5 release in some of those teardowns. That was with software that probably wasn't even heavy on memory/bandwidth. If it was the gpu/cpu core the system should be throttling and not straight up crashing.

Luipadre

Just did the fight today. Im 24 hours in in quality mode, 0 issues or crashes. launch PS5 and i never cleaned it

tmlDan

vzoJGkg.jpg
it works on my machine :)

Which screwdriver did you have to buy? Was it a T8 or T9?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So what is it? All these people having this issue just need to clean their PS5? When has that ever happened? Plus I cleaned mine inside and out and it still crashes on the first screen. Literally no other game does this on my console.
It's not doing to myself and most others. Maybe the game is buggy, but the overheating hyperbole is just that.

It's not doing to myself and most others. Maybe the game is buggy, but the overheating hyperbole is just that.
Well theres so many that keep saying 'I dont have that issue' but it doesnt mean its not one. Even if its not overheating. Something is just definitely off. I just wish square would at least say they're working on it. I can't believe I can't get past the settings screen

Last edited:

hinch7

Played and completed the game on performance mode with a V1 PS5 and no issues. Guess there are some faulty PS5's out there.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

In my 14hrs;

the 1st 7 hrs were in in Performance mode and was quiet as a mouse

The next 7hrs I switched to Graphics mode and I swear I could feel the temperature in my room steadily rising. Also the PS5 was giving me flashbacks of PS4s famous jet engine roar.

I think I'll switch back to Performance mode.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

I actually had my PS5 crash in that scene. So i opened it, decided to clean it, and after that, i got through that scene without any issues.

Bojji

Maybe this game can really bring some maximum wattage out of the console but power draw should be OS limited. No game should be able to go above certain limit.

Maybe Sony didn't put limits like that in place lol.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Have had my PS5 for 2 and a half years. Never cleaned it. Playin the game in Graphics mode. Not a single crash, and I have passed this scene.

Last edited:
Top Bottom