• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ONE FOOTBALL FUTURE - BYE-BYE VISUAL CONCEPTS & ESPN FOOTBALL

ManaByte

http://sports.ign.com/articles/572/572886p1.html

On a scarier note for these same publishers, rumors are already circulating that EA is attempting to negotiate similar deals with the NBA and Major League Baseball. When IGN contacted Trudy Muller, spokesperson for Electronic Arts about these rumors, she told us: "We cannot speculate at this time about any further plans these other leagues may have."

Resistance is futile!

easportsmonopoly9lj.jpg

Xellos

One more for the EA boycott here. The only EA published game I enjoyed this gen was Freedom Fighters, so it's not like I'll be missing much.

Hope EA doesn't go after the NBA or NHL next.

*edit -- read IGN quote above* :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DarienA said:
<can't wait for the next big EA release to watch the grumbling.....>

I'm curious... since the NFL came up with the idea and shopped it around according to the gamespot article will you whiners also be boycotting the NFL?

I think it's time to abandon ship and just become a Pol Pot fanboy.

ManaByte

Xellos said:
One more for the EA boycott here. The only EA published game I enjoyed this gen was Freedom Fighters, so it's not like I'll be missing much.

Hope EA doesn't go after the NBA or NHL next.

IGN is saying that they are trying to secure NBA and MLB now.

Xellos

Even if EA does get all the pro-sports licensces, I hope VC/Sega/Take-Two continue to make budget sports games. After this I would buy ESPN Generic Football/Basketball before buying an EA NFL/NBA game.

Chi-Town

From IGN's story, it seems Midway doesn't care. They've hooked up with one of the writers of the ESPN series Playmakers to do a new Blitz game that features stuff that the NFL hated in that series like player's drug problems.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Chi-Town said:
From IGN's story, it seems Midway doesn't care. They've hooked up with one of the writers of the ESPN series Playmakers to do a new Blitz game that features stuff that the NFL hated in that series like player's drug problems.

So Midway's experiment with real football is over? Thank god... bring back the blitz shit!

ManaByte

Chi-Town said:

Yeah, I like the two quotes they have:

According to an interview earlier this year with Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal, an NFL spokesperson confirmed that they were through working with Midway: "Midway has been quietly dropped in a 'mutual decision' as an NFL video game licensee after years of controversy over the level of violence in its NFL Blitz game."

When IGN contacted Midway about the rumored Blitz: Playmakers, a spokesperson confirmed the game's existence and told us: "Enough of the 'No Fun League'…it's now time to talk about and prepare for the game the NFL wouldn't let anyone make…Blitz the way it should be played."

Two Ziff mags shut down, and now this? What an awful, awful day.

This is an asshole move on EA's part. I didn't buy their games anyways but I'll not buy them with relish in the future. I can't imagine it makes any financial sense for them, either, given what they must have paid - they're scared and desperate and spending money to hide that.

Look at how their Q4 games all bombed ... EA is going to take over the industry and destroy it from the inside.

>_<

Pimpwerx

I am a Madden whore and general EA supporter, but this is BAD. No if, ands, or buts about it, this is so fucking wrong it's not funny. When you cut out the competition from anything, the quality suffers. Without someone keeping EA sharp, and for 5 fucking years, this doesn't bode well for the next gen Madden. Why would the NFL do this? This is just stupid. PEACE.

Drey1082

Pimpwerx said:
I am a Madden whore and general EA supporter, but this is BAD. No if, ands, or buts about it, this is so fucking wrong it's not funny. When you cut out the competition from anything, the quality suffers. Without someone keeping EA sharp, and for 5 fucking years, this doesn't bode well for the next gen Madden. Why would the NFL do this? This is just stupid. PEACE.

The NFL did this because they don't like to see price wars with there NFL brand name involved.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Drey1082 said:
The NFL did this because they don't like to see price wars with there NFL brand name involved.

Apparently they don't feel as threatened by shitty, stale-ass games of their sport for half a decade. Makes sense to me.

Has EA stated how much revenue they make off of the Madden series games? While I recognize that they do other ventures using the Madden name (Chiefly the NFL Street games and touring which people pay for) If they can't come up with a plan that not only nets them the 250 million/year (I think) and covers development and publishing expenses, they may be in over their heads for a bit.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I think people are forgetting that EA will most definitely be charging a subscription fee for online play next year. Whether or not it's annual or monthly, you will be paying for roster updates and online multiplayer for sure.

Vgamer

For sure I bet EA is foaming at the mouth with anticipation to charge for online play, leagues, roster updates. The works. With no competition the skies the limit. And im sure the game will retail for $65 or if not that definetly more then the $49.99 MSRP of this years. Maybe start slow at $55 or $60 to get the consumer used to the new EA way of doing business.

heidern

How much does Madden sell? About 5 Million or so right? Add in NFL street and the potential for the management sim then you are looking at potentially what? 7-10 million games per year? That would probably be $350-500M @ $50. With platinum prices too you are looking at $300-400M per year gross.

Knock off costs like development, distribution, marketing and retailer cuts and so on they profit maybe $100-200 per year. Over 5 years $500-1000M. How much of that goes to the NFL? Considering ea make all the investment and so on, I think $200-500M is most likely. $1B is too unlikely.,

Mrbob

I found this another board if you want to get in contact with the NFL Players Association here you go:

Headquarters

2021 L Street, N.W.
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
800-372-2000
202-463-2200

Western Office

423 Washington Street
Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94111
800-900-9404
415-438-3800

Willco

Hollywood Square
Vgamer said:
For sure I bet EA is foaming at the mouth with anticipation to charge for online play, leagues, roster updates. The works. With no competition the skies the limit. And im sure the game will retail for $65 or if not that definetly more then the $49.99 MSRP of this years. Maybe start slow at $55 or $60 to get the consumer used to the new EA way of doing business.

Madden will retail for $49.99 and nothing more, unless EA plans on offering CE content.

It'll retail for $49.99, but you'll be forced to tack on those online surcharges. And that's where they'll make some money.

DMczaf

:lol On one hand I hate this because it kills competition, on the other hand it's fun seeing Madden haters like Konex cry :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DMczaf said:
:lol On one hand I hate this because it kills competition, on the other hand it's fun seeing Madden haters like Konex cry :)

It's always fun seeing Konex cry, but this is a bad thing! Not a good, funny thing like Kobe choking away a game!

i have to say that madden is a far superior game to ESPN NFL, but this is a huge bitch move. it's like me playing a pickup game of basketball and i'm dominating. then this dude comes around and starts playing me competitively. so instead of practicing and getting better, i take my ball home and play by myself on my own court. that kind of stuff gets your ass KICKED ON THE STREETS BOYEEEEEEEE!

p.s. but on the flip side...

DMczafX23: if it was just Sega vs. EA again, then EA wouldnt have had to do this!
WhosSorryNow015: lol i know
WhosSorryNow015: thats the irony of it all
WhosSorryNow015: if sega just shut its mouth and kept getting its ass kicked in peace...
WhosSorryNow015: then EA wouldn't have to bring the hammer down!
DMczafX23: lol, this goes on the "Things you dont fucking do" List next to "Don't step on Superman's cape"
DMczafX23: "Don't fuck with EA"
WhosSorryNow015: DONT TUG ON SUPERMANS CAPE! YOU DONT!

DMczaf

it's like me playing a pickup game of basketball and i'm dominating. then this dude comes around and starts playing me competitively. so instead of practicing and getting better, i take my ball home and play by myself on my own court. that kind of stuff gets your ass KICKED ON THE STREETS BOYEEEEEEEE!

Pfft, EA would just BUY the streets! Boooyyyeeeeeeeeeee! That's how it's done in da 'burbs!

Hollywood

Banned
Guys, your forgetting ... ESPN NCAA Football will be BACK NOW!!!

The NCAA is so much better than the pro's, hopefully this means another game! More College games would be awesome.

B E N K E

I really wonder how this will affect the whole Sega / Take Two arrangement. If Take Two have already bought out Visual Concepts or signed the deal, Sega might just have made the best deal ever. If not, well it's just typical Sega I guess.

Anyway, what do I care, I'm European! :lol

DMczaf

B E N K E said:
I really wonder how this will affect the whole Sega / Take Two arrangement. If Take Two have already bought out Visual Concepts or signed the deal, Sega might just have made the best deal ever. If not, well it's just typical Sega I guess.

I bet Sega was JUST about to get Take Two to sign the contract to buy out Visual Concepts, then at the last second someone ran into the boardroom yelling out "EA has the NFL exclusive for 5 years!" then Take Two said "Nice try Sega, nice try..."

shpankey

not an idiot
man, i prefer the EA Sports games (except for NHL where Sega rules) and am a diehard Madden fan and even I recognize this is some really fucked up shit. damn you EA.

:lol not even that DM it went like this...

Take2: Alright sounds good, where do I sign??
Sega: Oh, just sign on the dotted line on the bottom. I'll go get you a pen.
Take2: I have one here...
Sega: Yeah but that's a blue pen, we here at sega like to sign things with black pens. It's just one of the little "sega differences". I'll go get the pen from Marty. He's on the 3rd floor.
Take2: ... uhhh you guys own more than 1 black pen right??
Sega: What was that? I didn't hear what you said. And now I'll be right back. Here, watch some TV while I go get the pen. We only get the reuters channel here. Top management thought it would really boost our resolve and morale.

TV: ...and it appears as though sega just got fucked up the ass as EA has signed a 5 year exclusive deal with the NFL/NFLPA...

poor sega, they can do no right!

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
:lol not even that DM it went like this...

Take2: Alright sounds good, where do I sign??
Sega: Oh, just sign on the dotted line on the bottom. I'll go get you a pen.
Take2: I have one here...
Sega: Yeah but that's a blue pen, we here at sega like to sign things with black pens. It's just one of the little "sega differences". I'll go get the pen from Marty. He's on the 3rd floor.
Take2: ... uhhh you guys own more than 1 black pen right??
Sega: What was that? I didn't hear what you said. And now I'll be right back. Here, watch some TV while I go get the pen. We only get the reuters channel here. Top management thought it would really boost our resolve and morale.

TV: ...and it appears as though sega just got fucked up the ass as EA has signed a 5 year exclusive deal with the NFL/NFLPA...

poor sega, they can do no right!

:lol Wheres the Charlie Brown music for Sega walking with their head down.

ZILLION

B E N K E said:

The letter of intent was binding. It depends on what exactly is said in the letter. Im going to take a guess that Sega probably sought this deal for protection in the event that EA was successful and that TTwo is screwed.

From the original announcement:

Sega announced that the company has signed a binding letter of intent (LOI) with Take-Two Interactive to co-publish all SEGA ESPN Videogames sports titles, including ESPN NFL Football, ESPN NBA Basketball, ESPN NHL Hockey, ESPN College Hoops and ESPN Major League Baseball worldwide.

The multi-year co-publishing and distribution agreement includes a provision for Take-Two to further extend its participation in Sega's sports game business and all associated intellectual property for current and future gaming platforms. Exclusive distribution of ESPN Videogames will be managed by Jack of All Games in North America and Take-Two Europe for international territories.

PhatSaqs

Banned
One evil move deserves another..... [envisions EA waving an exclusive "NFL Football" 5 year contract in view of Sony and MS execs]

shpankey

not an idiot
man, thank God Microsoft got EA signed up on Xbox Live last year, before all this shit went down! could have been really ugly for Xbox this year.

Top Bottom