• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the most groundbreaking metal albums was released 20 years ago: Neurosis' TSIB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Today, 20 years ago, namely on April 23rd, 1996 Neurosis' Through Silver in Blood got released. Neurosis is not a metal band that gets mentioned a lot, but this particular album of theirs became a highly influential masterpiece for influencing if not establishing the genre we now categorize as atmospheric sludge metal (or post-metal as some people like to call it). I've heard people call Neurosis the Pink Floyd of metal, but to better understand the aesthetic of Neurosis, I think this live recording of Locust Star in '98 characterizes it pretty well (yet they've always somewhat changed sound and tone from album to album)

throughsilverinblood.jpg

1. Through Silver in Blood
  2. Rehumanize
  3. Eye
  4. Purify
  5. Locust Star
  6. Strength of Fates
  7. Become the Ocean
  8. Aeon
  9. Enclosure in Flame
it is suggested to listen to it in whole. As the Sputnikmusic review writes:

Through Silver And Blood is definitely meant to be listened to as a whole. If singled out, the individual songs are interesting in the sense that the climaxes are powerful and the ambient sections are well done, but if listened to together, the stubborn repetition of specific motifs makes for a hypnotic listening experience. Take, for example, the album opener. The main sludgy riff built on sustained chords is repeated so many times that it mesmerizes the listener. Just when the listener is about to break out of their reverie, Neurosis shift gears. It seems like each musical passage on this album is played for the exact right amount of time; long enough to mesmerize the listener, but not to the point in which it becomes boring. Because of this unerring precision, Neurosis manage to sneak in a few odd aspects that would wade through cheese on another album, but only serve to further the ominous, hypnotic mood here. The spoken word passage that is Rehumanize, if listened to by itself, sounds incredibly stupid. But placed between the hypnotic title track and the ferocious Eye, it is nothing short of scary.

Or as another review put the atmosphere of the album:

The atmopshere of the whole album is dense, crushing, and unforgiving, enhanced with layers of subtle, haunting electronics. The guitars serve mainly as textures, focusing more on adding atmosphere than riffing, but still impressive in the way they are written and played, with the heavily distorted bass driving much of the music. The drums drive the music the way it should be, sometimes with surging tribal drumming and other times with a more traditional, but no more less skillful, style. And, to top it all off, is the extraordinary vocal performance - Scott Kelly's angsty, melancholy screams and soft, bleak style of singing; Steve Von Till's supportive screams and backing vocals; and Dave Edwardson's sinister growls and bellows.

All in all, Through Silver In Blood offers up quite possibly the most unique and well crafted musical experience. Very few bands can hold a light to Neurosis's unmatched skill, let alone this relentless beheomth of an album. Although most are usually reluctant to label an album as being the best (or one of the best at the least) albums of all time, it is safe to say that this could very well be that album. The album is virtually flawless and will most likely remain unrivaled as being the best for years to come, even by the band that produced it. Listening to this album should be mandatory!

The site Invisible Oranges did a feature on the album to celebrate its 20th anniversary:

The advent of easy-to-use music editing software offers a modern visualization of music, one which may be more well-suited to Through Silver and Blood than the classic bass and treble clef: the loop. Cycles of bass and guitar notes, rather than playing in synchronicity, repeat, stop, and then repeat again, dogpiled overtop one another like some ur-stringed instrument, a precursor maybe to the eight-stringed guitars and subterranean tunings of today. All three vocalists in Neurosis shout one another down in the middle of the mix, varied slightly in pitch, not so much calling and responding as reacting, paranoid, to unseen events. When something approaches clarity, another sound emerges to obscure it—the epic album highlight ”Purify” reaches something like a tough groove in its second half until John Goff’s bagpipes join in.

Often these instructions are samples, and they dominate other sounds often, either as a repeated motif, like the feedback squeal in the title track, or on the cacophony of voices babbling about metaphysics on “Rehumanize” or the atomic bomb on “Become the Ocean,” the two interludes which roughly chop the album into three acts.[...]

The members of Neurosis offer few insights. While they will play “Locust Star” and the title track, but rarely play anything else from the record (it’s been 9 years since they played “Purify”). Rarer is any communication on it. There’s no Decibel Hall of Fame entry for the band, and my guess is that an unwillingness to talk about Through Silver in Blood explains their absence. At this last Roadburn, Ian Cory told me that the band deflected questions about these songs during their Q&A. According to him, Steve Von Till said they would have to “burn the place down” in order to play any deep cuts.

Personally it is perhaps my favorite album with its incredibly oppressive and sinister tone. It is something that almost obliterates you with its soul crushing climactic compositions. It something that transcends a conventional musical experience for me - it became something that changed me after listening to it.

rexor0717

Heavy as shit but I don't know if I like the vocals. Its a bit too early for me to say that definitively though, it could grow on me and I'm definitely going to listen to this.

Lime

Never heard this before. Good stuff.

Wow. Never heard of them. Love it.

\m/

Sounds great gonna check it out.

It's on Amazon prime if anyone is a member

Never heard of this band, I will check it out.

New metal band to listen too. thanks OP.

Whoa, I'm surprised I've never heard of this band. Totally picking up the album.

Damn, a lot of people never even having heard of Neurosis. Well, if you're ever interested in exploring them further, then there is a wealth of musical diamonds to find in their discography. Their genre palette is always changing from album to album with the later years settling in on a more rounded style, but still Neurosis in its aesthetic. Nothing in their discography sounds remotely similar.

To give you a brief overview, because I think their other albums besides Through Silver in Blood deserves a listen as well, because they are also incredibly excellent in their own respective way (skipping their first two punk albums):

'92: Souls At Zero: Neurosis went from punk to experimenting more with their music and compositions. This moves towards post-hardcore and progressive metal with tons of energy.
'93: Enemy of the Sun: A rough, but incredibly violent album that takes their style into a slower tempo with atmosphere. It isn't as focused as what came after:
'96: Through Silver in Blood: Their seminal album that marks where Neurosis is categorized into pre-TSIB and post-TSIB in their post-hardcore style.
'99: Times of Grace: They changed producers to the famous Steve Albini (who they still use) and they took their music into genre-defining atmospheric sludge metal with less experimentation & atmospherics.
'01: The Sun That Never Sets: They slowed things down severely here to the point of doom metal and introduced folk-music into the mix. An incredibly heavy album that weighs a ton.
'04: In The Eye of Every Storm: More of a quieter and somber album, but steeped in bleakness. More accessible, I think.
'07: Given to the Rising: A return to their heavier roots but with the experiences from the slowed down sludge and folk-country from their later years. Cormac McCarthy's The Road was a huge inspiration for this album and it shows very clearly in the lyrics, the composition and the visuals.
'12: Honor Found in Decay: Their latest album with even more Americana into their metal. Some people might think it's their weakest album (it doesn't experiment much), but it's still planet-shattering composition.

Fans have a hard time finding their favorite among these albums. Every album does something differently - Souls is filled with young energy and punk, Enemy is raw as hell, Silver is a transcendent drug experience, Times is soul-crushing, Sun is heavy crimson-red desert, Storm is bleak snow, Rising is gray ash, and Honor is golden Americana (if that makes sense).

Some of the best shit ever released. Neurosis will never top it, though their other releases are pretty fantastic.

EDIT: forgot I have this bad boy on cassette. Gonna jam out tonight.

This is such a good album. I think Souls at Zero is my absolute favorite by them, but there's no denying the influence of TSIB on the underground for decades to come.

Lime

This is such a good album. I think Souls at Zero is my absolute favorite by them, but there's no denying the influence of TSIB on the underground for decades to come.

That's so interesting, since Souls at Zero is so different from what the band transformed into and is today. I definitely think Souls is an amazing album that only clicked with me later - The Web is probably my favorite on that one.

By the way, you should be in luck Xander, Neurosis is performing all of their "oeuvre" on their current touring to celebrate their 30 year anniversary - even Pain in Mind. They performed Takeahnase, The Web, and To Crawl Under One's Skin from Souls both in San Francisco and at Roadburn last week.

Metalmarc

Wasnt sure whether i got round to buying this album or not, a quick check on amazon says i bought it 3 years ago, damn i have too many cd's, i forget.

image.jpg

ThisGuy

Snap, thanks op. I've heard of them but never gave them the time of day. Will absolutely get this album.

Lime

Found this interview with Dave Edwardson druing the release of TSIB (18/4/1996)

The creation process:
CoC: What ideas and strategies went into the process of setting apart _Through Silver In Blood_ from your other works?

DE: The process was a lot more natural and that was something that we had started to experience on the last record. We didn't have to be more cerebral, we could actually be more gut with the way it came out and trusting the engineer we were working with.

(The band recorded the album with producer Billy Anderson (Sick Of It All, The Melvins, EYEHATEGOD) at Brilliant and A Different Fur Studios in San Francisco)

DE: We basically knew what we were going for. I'd say this record is more of an epic undertaking than the last one. We know how to get a lot more out of one note these days and we are a lot more trance-oriented in our music as far as wanting it to be overwhelming and aggressive but at a constant flow. We were trying to develop a record that was like one song that actually means more from the beginning to the end than it does individually.

Influences:
CoC: Has the band's songwriting had to adjust to the change in decades and musical trends? Have you been influenced by things that happen around you?

DE: Not in music. Our perspective adjusts to what is going around in the world and we keep developing a bit and being a bit more farther away from a political stance to a more spiritual one which also has to do with our personal lives and with the personal self-growth we have taken upon ourselves. I don't know if that affects the songwriting much, but having Noah join (a longtime friend from Christ On Parade) with the same mindset made all the songwriting more natural. We all have input and all write together. About our music and feelings, we understand less and less why it comes about.

Always making their music personal
CoC: Have you ever intentionally played music a certain way or wrote songs to please the public? Has it always been personal?

DE: It has always been personal. Strictly personal. We could give a fuck what anyone else thinks. It sounds like a cliche statement but when you put your full emotion into anything you couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. We really want to be raw when we do stuff. We are used to turning our fans off. Our first record was a punk rock record so when we added metal on the second one we lost some of our hardcore/punk fans. We shocked the shit out of them with the next record when we added keyboards and samples. When people thought we were gonna go prog-rock, we came out with _Enemy Of The Sun_ which was a sludge/tribal-fest, and the new one is an amalgamation of all of the above, and where we are at right now. We always lose somebody but that is probably because they are close-minded or it might not be their taste. If someone is adamantly against it, then the poor bastard must have some confines on their beliefs.

CoC: You find a lot of that with people and music, right?

DE: For sure. People are afraid to be open and they like to stick to a certain clique or in a box of musical styles and what they are supposed to like instead of taking each thing in.

On categorization and expectations of the style they do:
CoC: With the direction of the band heading a certain way and fans growing with you over the years, do you feel the fans can now relate to what you are feeling or at least understand what you are trying to tell them with your music?

DE: I think so. I think if they have stuck around they have experienced some stuff that we feel, but I don't know if we want them to feel a specific thing because it is a personal thing and it is for us. I think we throw enough vague concepts out there so that people can get out of it what they need to get out of it. We know specifically what we are talking about but we will never say. It is intense music so if someone needs to feel that way, they can listen to our music. Or if they need to deal with anger, depression or need to be inspired with something, they can get an effort out of our music.

CoC: What is the most important thing that you want a Neurosis fan to get out of this record?

DE: For people to be inspired by it. Maybe with the emotions we reveal people can relate to it and get through that shit. To have a part of it speak to their deeper self or soul. That is what we'd like to see come out of it.

Meaning of the album title:
CoC: And the meaning of the album title?

DE: Again, that is one of the vague ideas that mean something to us and not the listener. I don't know if I can really go into it but basically, it is a very spiritual statement to us dealing with humanity's place in the cosmos and dealing directly with alchemy and psychedelics.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The Sun That Never Sets is my favourite.

I can't get that into them though. Steve von Till's voice is... I just can't take it seriously. It sounds like a South Park-style pastiche at times.

ATF487

Fucking love Neurosis, just bought Enemy of the Sun on CD the other day actually. Forgot this was 20 years old! I like everything they've done from Souls at Zero to the present but think the Enemy of the Sun --> Times of Grace run is their best work.

I read somewhere that Michael Gira was considering hiring the Neurosis lads for Swans some time in the mid 90s, really wish there was some alternative universe I could visit to see what that was like. Both bands tap into this hypnotic, trance-y vibe that I can't get enough of.

Such an amazing album. I remember hearing it for the first time around when it came out, when I was in high school, through some friends who ran a small distro for metal/hardcore stuff. So I had heard all kinds of metal at that point, but nothing like TSIB. Totally blew my mind.

Lime

The only time Neurosis ever reached the mainstream:

I never caught this when I originally watched this series but did anyone else ever notice Mark's sweet Neurosis T-Shirt on Home Improvement? In season 7 Mark went through his goth phase so I'm guessing the show's costume designer either didn't know who Neurosis were and figured that the T-shirt would fit the dubious mold of gothic attire or, actually planted it as a homage to the band. Either theory is as valid at this point, though why I am seriously even contemplating this, I have no idea. Anyhow, I thought it was pretty neat!

I read somewhere that Michael Gira was considering hiring the Neurosis lads for Swans some time in the mid 90s, really wish there was some alternative universe I could visit to see what that was like. Both bands tap into this hypnotic, trance-y vibe that I can't get enough of.

Closest thing was probably the Neurosis x Jarboe collaboration, which was interesting in its own right.

Lime

I got to see them in a basement back in 1991. No stage.

Wow. That's pretty special. I'm jealous. I wonder how different it was compared to their later aesthetic they used for their concerts (no talking, just the music and juxtaposed visuals)

Crazy that you have a scanned photo as well from back then. They must've been really good :lol

zerotol

Banned
Wow. That's pretty special. I'm jealous. I wonder how different it was compared to their later aesthetic they used for their concerts (no talking, just the music and juxtaposed visuals)

Crazy that you have a scanned photo as well from back then. They must've been really good :lol

I hadn't heard them prior to that show. It took place in a basement that was the practice space for my friend's band that would eventually become Unwound. I went to see several bands in that place over the years but that's the only time I ever saw Neurosis

Lime

I hadn't heard them prior to that show. It took place in a basement that was the practice space for my friend's band that would eventually become Unwound. I went to see several bands in that place over the years but that's the only time I ever saw Neurosis

Wow you were friends with a member of Unwound? That's pretty amazing and sounds like a cool spot.

Consul

God damn OP, I haven't listened to metal in years and I don't really like anything but obscure electronic music these days but yo this shit is GOOOOD!

blackjaw

Anyone that likes earlier Neurosis owes it to themselves to dive into Isis. Aaron Turner and co was heavily influenced by Neurosis. Oceanic is probably their best album but I really like Panopticon as well.

Sun Drugs

So glad this thread was made. As a big fan of post-metal in my youth (ISIS, Pelican, Red Sparowes, etc) I have always heard how great this album was but never gave it a full listen through. Doing it now and loving it.

fallout

Anyone that likes earlier Neurosis owes it to themselves to dive into Isis. Aaron Turner and co was heavily influenced by Neurosis. Oceanic is probably their best album but I really like Panopticon as well.
Agreed. I'd also throw in a recommendation for Cult of Luna. They've been putting out consistently great albums for years now and are probably the most Neurosis-like band you can find without just listening to Neurosis.

blackjaw

Agreed. I'd also throw in a recommendation for Cult of Luna. They've been putting out consistently great albums for years now and are probably the most Neurosis-like band you can find without just listening to Neurosis.

Yep, Vertikal is a masterpiece. It should be the soundtrack to any heavy industrial future cyber-punk movie.

Nachtmaer

What are the odds, I was just listening to it. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Neurosis or the "post/atmospheric" sludge scene they spawned, this album will always have a special place. The second half of the title track is pure murder.

Iorv3th

Heavy as shit but I don't know if I like the vocals. Its a bit too early for me to say that definitively though, it could grow on me and I'm definitely going to listen to this.

Was going to say the vocals sound mixed poorly or something. I listened to a few of the songs and they are all the same vocally. I just have a hard time listening to it. On the other hand I don't have a problem with vocals of something like Machine Head or Arch Enemy.

It's very raw and uncomfortable, yes. You would probably like their somber and more quieter Eye of Every Storm

I'll give it a listen.

A literal life changing album for me. This album with a good set of cans and some *cough mind altering substances *cough got me reconnected to life and the world around me in a way I'll never be to explain, ever.

Got to fly out and see them in SF just a few weeks ago. Only one of a handful of bands I can watch live for 2.5 hours and still be totally riveted by.

As a side note, was recently reissued on vinyl and there might still be a few copies floating around if you look.

LakeEarth

I too did not know about this album, but I took a listen to it and I definitely hear its influence on future metal that I have listened to. It is not an album where you can put the songs in a playlist and hit shuffle. It's a beginning to end kind of album, IMO.

Thanks for letting us know!

Lime

A literal life changing album for me. This album with a good set of cans and some *cough mind altering substances *cough got me reconnected to life and the world around me in a way I'll never be to explain, ever.

Got to fly out and see them in SF just a few weeks ago. Only one of a handful of bands I can watch live for 2.5 hours and still be totally riveted by.

As a side note, was recently reissued on vinyl and there might still be a few copies floating around if you look.

You and me both. I came out a different person after listening to TSIB.

I've seen them 3 times now and planning on catching a plane to watch them this summer as well. They are just more of an experience than an actual concert when you see them live.

On that note, just saw EyeHateGod on Saturday in Philly and they still rip. What is Neurosis up to these days?

They are doing 30-year anniversary tour at the moment in Europe, but they already recorded their new album in december. It's currently being mixed and mastered, as far as I've heard from hardcore fans

kris.

Banned
only neurosis i've ever listened to is given to the rising but it fucking rules, might need to check this out. crazy that it's 20 years old tho. i wasn't aware neurosis had been around this long.

Jennings

Love this band. My favorite Neurosis albums are Times of Grace and Given to the Rising. I actually discovered this band through the band Mastodon. After hearing Scott Kelly on so many Mastodon songs and albums I decided to go check out his own band's work, and was presently surprised. Have been a fan ever since.

That's so interesting, since Souls at Zero is so different from what the band transformed into and is today. I definitely think Souls is an amazing album that only clicked with me later - The Web is probably my favorite on that one.

By the way, you should be in luck Xander, Neurosis is performing all of their "oeuvre" on their current touring to celebrate their 30 year anniversary - even Pain in Mind. They performed Takeahnase, The Web, and To Crawl Under One's Skin from Souls both in San Francisco and at Roadburn last week.

I was at roadburn watching them last week, it was so amazing to be able to see them after such a long time (for the times of grace tour).

My first neurosis album was souls at zero and even though it was such an intriguing album, I somehow missed enemy of the sun when it came out.
Then, one day, I was in Edinburgh for holidays and when passing by a Virgin store I saw to my amazement that they had through silver in blood on the window display of the store!. I was like "what the fuck!" And assumed that somebody at that store must have been a huge neurosis fan or something because it made no sense.

I bought the cd and from the moment i put it on my cd player I think i had it on repeat for weeks without taking it out. The last time something like this had happened was with Nirvana's nevermind and with Tool's Aenima. This could only mean one thing, it was my new favorite album. And, somehow, i still think it is. After the discovery of this record i started to listen to so many other dark and experimental music, it opened my ears wide open, but somehow that feeling that i was listening to something that transcended the purely musical has not been easy to find again.

Damn! I'm guessing they were moving away from hardcore toward the more heady stuff, for lack of a better word.

On that note, just saw EyeHateGod on Saturday in Philly and they still rip. What is Neurosis up to these days?

I live less than a day-trip away from New Orleans and I'm always telling myself that I'm going to ride out there to catch eyehategod at a home show. Something about that swampy setting just seems so right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom