• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
YO CHECK THIS OP

CN6Bl8nUwAEikuI.png

The time has come! The immensely popular, immensely beautiful and immensely funny manga series finally has it's adaptation!

Airs Sunday, October 4th!

INFO

In this new action-comedy, everything about a young man named Saitama screams "AVERAGE," from his lifeless expression, to his bald head, to his unimpressive physique. However, this average-looking fellow doesn't have your average problem... He's actually a superhero that's looking for tough opponents! The problem is, every time he finds a promising candidate he beats the snot out of them in one punch. Can Saitama finally find an evil villain strong enough to challenge him? Follow Saitama through his hilarious romps as he searches for new bad guys to challenge!

Studio: MADHOUSE

Director: Shingo Natsume

Script: Tomohiro Suzuki

Original creator:
ONE (story)
Yuusuke Murata (art)

Character Design: Chikashi Kubota and Yuusuke Murata

Official site

Streaming here! (Daisuki)

And here! (Hulu)

PV1
PV2
PV3

CAST

Saitama - VA Makoto Furukawa (Takumi in Shokugeki no Soma, Tada Banri in Golden Time)

detail_saitama.png

Race: Human
Abilities: superhuman strength, speed and agility

Saitama is the main protagonist of OnePunch-Man, and the most powerful hero alive. Having apparently trained himself to superhuman condition, Saitama faces an existential crisis as he is now too powerful to gain any thrill from his heroic deeds.

He is registered with the Heroes Association as a B-Class Superhero and is tasked to defend Z-City against Mysterious Beings.

Saitama is usually deliberately drawn in a simpler style than other characters, with a very rounded head and only a simple mouth and eyes. When drawn in a more 'action-oriented' style with more detail, Saitama is revealed to have sharp features, dangerous looking eyes, and chiseled musculature. His costume is a plain yellow jumpsuit with a short zipper at the collar and a belt. The costume is finished out by a red ensemble of boots, gloves and a cape.

For a superhero, Saitama is rather laid back. Because even the mightiest foes pose no challenge to him, he doesn't take his hero work very seriously. In spite of this, he is constantly searching for an opponent that can challenge him, since his superhero work is beginning to bore him because it's too easy. The combination of his attitude, unstoppable strength, and distinctively simple and 'unimpresive' appearance often cause his battles to become anticlimactic. Saitama will usually allow his opponents to rant about their motives and power up into their strongest forms before suddenly and nonchalantly obliterating them with one punch.

Genos - VA Kaito Ishikawa (Kageyama in Haikyuu, Nine in Zankyou no Terror)

detail_genos.png

Race: Cyborg
Abilities: Weapons; Cyborg Body
Affiliation: The Heroes Association
Partner(s): Saitama

Genos is a 19-year old cyborg and self-claimed disciple of Saitama. He is always aiming to become stronger and fights for justice.

Genos has a mechanical body of a teenage model, a pale looking face, yellow eyebrows, black sclera and yellow piercing eyes and has blond spiky hair. Over his mechanical limbs, he wears black pants and black shoes. Genos sometimes sports new black mechanical arms, during the time when he sparred with Saitama, and during the time on preparing to stop a giant meteor, he equipped more block-shaped, black mechanical arms along with a small headgear.

Genos is an extremely serious character. He has a strong drive to get stronger than he is, and pesters Saitama to train him frequently.

Speed of Sound Sonic - VA Yuuki Kaji (Attack on Titan's Eren, World Trigger's Osamu Mikumo)

detail_sonic.png

Alias: Sonic
Abilities: Superhuman Speed and Agility
Weapons: Ninja equipment

Speed of Sound Sonic is a villian in the series, first appearing as a bodyguard hired by Mr. Monier. He views Saitama as his eternal rival.

Sonic is a thin, slightly effeminate man, who despite his slender build is extremelly strong and fast. He has black medium length hair that is tied up in a topknot. One noticeable feature is that he has two black marks under his eyes, one under each. He first appears wearing a tight black outfit highlighted by metal plating on the shins, fore-arms, shoulders and chest, as well as a long red scarf. He is shown later in black street clothes. He always carries a ninjato and other ninja equipment such as kunai and ninja stars.

Sonic is a villian who, despite his normally calm appearance, loves fighting strong opponents as shown by when he gets a "child-like smile" on his face when he first meets Saitama and has two of his attacks blocked, earlier calling this his "bad habit." He seems to be very quick to act as he attacks Saitama on their first meeting without letting him explain the situation.

Tatsumaki - VA Aoi Yūki (Madoka Magica's Madoka, Sword Art Online II's Yuuki)

detail_tatsumaki.png

Abilities: Esper
Affiliation: Heroes Association

Tatsumaki appears to be a rather small thin woman with short, curly, green hair. She wears a long dress that separates into 6 sections a little below the waist. She usually has an expressionless face, with partially closed eyes.

Tatsumaki is shown to be a very powerful telekinetic. She is capable of effortlessly lifting hundreds of large boulders and stopping a very powerful bombardment attack from an alien spaceship. She also uses her telekinesis to float and fly. She is considered to be one of the most powerful heroes and Esper alive.

Others without official portraits

License-less Rider - VA Yūichi Nakamura (Fairy Tail's Grey, Valvrave the Liberator's Raizō Yamada)

detail_mumen.png

Abilities: Weapons; Gauntlets
Level: C-Class; Rank: 1

License-less Rider is a C-Class Superhero from Z-City. He has the #1 rank of the C-Class.

The License-less Rider is a young man of average height and weight. He wears an armored suit, with light colored armor covering his torso and shoulders. He has a black leather suit under the armor and black gauntlets and kneepads. He also has a yellow bicycle helmet and dark shades.

Not much of License-less Rider's abilities have been seen, since he was defeated before showing any kind of action whatsoever. However, before being smashed to the ground and judging by his outfit, it seems that License-less Rider prefers hand-to-hand-combat and relies on his speed.

Fang/Bang - VA Kazuhiro Yamaji (Psycho-Pass' Jouji Saiga, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children's Cid)

detail_silver.png

Bang is an S-Class, rank 3, superhero for the Heroes Association, settled in Z-City. Bang owns a dojo passed down from generations, and uses the fighting style the Rock-Smashing Water Stream Fist.

Bang is an old man with white-spiky hair, thick eyebrows and a thick mustache. He has distict wrinkles on his face, a squarish chin and has a slight tan skin. He wears a dark shirt, light colored pants and kung fu shoes

Bang has a serious personality, he acts calm and does not seem to be afraid at the prospect of stopping a dragon-level disaster meteor. He also prefers to be called by his name.

Bang being in the top 3 of the S-Class ranking, he is acknowledged by the public and heroes to be a strong fighter. Not much is known about Bang's abilities other than that he uses a martial art called "Rock-Smashing Water Stream Fist".

ChryZ

I'll check it out, but also really worried if the awesomeness of the manga can translate to anime on a TV show budget.

Chariot

PV was already good. I trust in Madhouse to make a good adaption where I can see Licenseless Rider in full glory.

I'll check it out, but also really worried if the awesomeness of the manga can translate to anime on a TV show budget.

The first episode aired on Nico Nico a while ago, some people watched it but I didn't, waiting for good quality when it actually airs. Reception sounded good on the animation front though.

ChryZ

The first episode aired on Nico Nico a while ago, some people watched it but I didn't, waiting for good quality when it actually airs. Reception sounded good on the animation front though.
Now that I think about it, most fights are over pretty quickly (lol) and the rest is more slow slice of life. It's probably fine for most of the episodes, but then there are these multi-chapter spanning crazy events which you could easily burn an Akira budget on. Should get interesting all things considered.

Chariot

Now that I think about it, most fights are over pretty quickly (lol) and the rest is more slow slice of life. It's probably fine for most of the episodes, but then there are these multi-chapter spanning crazy events which you could easily burn an Akira budget on. Should get interesting all things considered.
As far as I remember Madhouse was always pretty good at managing a budget. Their shows are for better or worse pretty consistent in animation quality.

The animation was good, but that was the first episode. Never trust the first episode of an anime to judge the production values of the rest! :p

Still, it's Madhouse and a fairly popular IP, so overall it should be ok.

Moaradin

The director for this was the director for Space Dandy. Along with Madhouse, I'm pretty confident that this show will look pretty fucking awesome.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Animation on the first episode was great, hopefully not a first episode thing.

Trying not to pick anything up this season though in hopes to finally watch some other things on my backlog instead but I may break it for this if it stays consistently good.

Chariot

People say that about at least one show per season and it was right once with Tokyo Ghoul lol

But this show has a chance to get popular, manga already has a lot of good word of mouth
What, Tokyo Ghoul was Attack on Titan level? Got a very different impression. Kill La Kill if anything.

I think One Punch Man has a reasonable chance, but who knows really.

What, Tokyo Ghoul was Attack on Titan level? Got a very different impression. Kill La Kill if anything.

I think One Punch Man has a reasonable chance, but who knows really.

As far as being massively popular in the West and in Japan, Tokyo Ghoul is closest. There's a bit of a gap in the West though. Of course even trying to gauge that kind of thing is hard, if you look up "Toyko Ghoul OP" on YouTube there are plenty of them over 1m views. The anime is probably more popular then the manga in the west, and most probably stream it. It makes it hard to get a concrete number, I'm going mostly off anecdotes.

Moaradin

I'd put KLK over Tokyo Ghoul personally. Plus that one aired on US Television, while TG hasn't (yet).

Don't think either got close to AoT level though.

Chariot

As far as being massively popular in the West and in Japan, Tokyo Ghoul is closest. There's a bit of a gap in the West though. Of course even trying to gauge that kind of thing is hard, if you look up "Toyko Ghoul OP" on YouTube there are plenty of them over 1m views. The anime is probably more popular then the manga in the west, and most probably stream it. It makes it hard to get a concrete number, I'm going mostly off anecdotes.
Qq2k1MB.png

It's not terrible, but Attack on Titan is another league (that's about 52k). And I wouldn't take YouTube impressions of anime OPs as a metric.

zeopower6

Love Live is probably the biggest recent show, but it really grew like wildfire. Not entirely sure about the Western reception but I think people also warmed up to it along with Japanese fans around the same time! Shokugeki no Soma was also a pretty big hit, I think.

One Punch should do really well in Japan and it has the potential to be huge overseas. Should at the very least be as big as Kill la Kill/Gurren.

Tokyo Ghoul's first two volumes in the US have stayed concistently in the top 10 nyt manga sales... Of course aot is always on there so.

Very few series break into that all star popularity tier which includes things like Naruro, Titan, and DBZ. At best OPM can break into the next lower tier with stuff like KLK and Tokyo Ghoul. Stuff in that top tier are things even people who don't like/watch anime know about, odds are if you aren't into manga/anime you aren't going to know about OPM this time next year.

duckroll

The director for this was the director for Space Dandy. Along with Madhouse, I'm pretty confident that this show will look pretty fucking awesome.

Well what's more important is that he seems to have managed to bring along a bunch of action animators from Space Dandy onto this project too, so that helps a ton.

Well what's more important is that he seems to have managed to bring along a bunch of action animators from Space Dandy onto this project too, so that helps a ton.

Yeah, it's funny how people are attributing the production quality of One Punch Man to "typical Madhouse" when most of the people working on it are not Madhouse regulars.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I saw the ep on niconico, kinda wish I didn't cuz it was shit quality.

But finally, something to watch while waiting a month to get four pages of OPM.

FoxSpirit

ANimation is supposedly good but man, Saitama's VA is still too energetic. In my head, Saitama just sounds genuinly bored, no snark, no brooding. Just a dash of depression.
This guy sounds too "annoyed hero" like.

Well, I am sure the rest will be great.

Waiting for the proper airing of episode 1 before watching, but I'm so excited. I read the manga a couple months ago and it was really good. I hope the anime can retain some of the spirit. I believe in Madhouse.

HarryKS

Best new manga I've read since the 90s/early 2000s. Can't stand the other stuff.

It's simple and straightforward with a clean art style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom