• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OneShot |OT| Guide a Child to Restore the Long Dead Sun to a Mysterious Dying World

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

OneShot on Steam ($9.99) [game is $8.99 with a 10% discount the first week]

Official Website
Trailer

OneShot was a 2014 freeware RPG Maker game, but a really special one. Talking too much about it would ruin part of the experience, but one of the key points of the game was that the main character was totally aware of the player's presence, as well as an in-game entity who would slowly start to mess with the player.

OneShot joins a weird kinda' catboy named Niko, who is as alien to the setting of the game as you are, Niko thinks you're God or something and wants your help to get back to his world as well as has a good heart and wants to help the people of this dying world the game takes place in. The world's sun died some time ago, and now the world is crumbling... But maybe that's for the best, to just let natural order takes its course. But you have the key to restore the sun, and need to go to where the sun died on-top of a peculiar tower to restore it, which is also the same place you can return Niko to their home anyway, but part of the point of the game was you had one shot to make the call at the end of the game, and that was it.

However, the game has since been much updated, apparently with loads of new content and a reworked story, and is being released on Steam. It was originally supposed to be released last Spring, but was delayed as they added more and more to it. And here we are on its release.

From the Store Page:

A surreal puzzle adventure game with unique mechanics / capabilities.

You are to guide a child through a mysterious world on a mission to restore its long-dead sun.

...Of course, things are never that simple.

The world knows you exist.

The consequences are real.

Saving the world may be impossible.

You only have one shot.

FEATURES
*Gameplay mechanics that go beyond the game window.
*A haunting original soundtrack and artwork designed to match.
*A unique relationship between a game and its player.
*A lingering feeling that you're not getting the full story unless you know where to look.

Screens:
ss_8a8639313a9cfc5d39e17fad5fe4b819379f1101.1920x1080.jpg
ss_bd78bc0a36c215cf4b0b53c4963bd119f58ab25c.1920x1080.jpg
ss_5d03428de28dd03845a9adb5566ba29431eba0f5.1920x1080.jpg
ss_5632681456db78d0e33c252c59d39c18ff35262e.1920x1080.jpg
ss_472ab282d7047e79a1f6f6143f10534bea7e2bfc.1920x1080.jpg
ss_4cd68ad57c310de7d0d822d2cf89a61568bc2139.1920x1080.jpg
ss_a2d8e5a8c5dd9347a423b708e528f4ea78d57ee3.1920x1080.jpg
ss_7a448b3054a24947e4621a7df8cb819db74d31e1.1920x1080.jpg
ss_0c60e3e7c3be210907c7d0e3d74bbcd8243b8a1c.1920x1080.jpg
ss_0caed3d8506f587e3a467c6b7ebc37441cfdb234.1920x1080.jpg
ss_2262ef9696dd6befdd23ea232b80ccdc83a7a471.1920x1080.jpg
ss_f215b03a3339871a6652bb14df418f205d1c6e42.1920x1080.jpg
ss_bb4e011aa2958a09bf84994055991e377846e155.1920x1080.jpg
ss_f96300cc310f7f0aa6f6c6f0c870cdd4c6418bf7.1920x1080.jpg

REVIEWS:

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
OneShot makes players question the reality that surrounds them. Is it just a game or is there more to it? The commentary on player/game relationship is enough for a standalone piece, which we may very well write. OneShot pulls players in with poise and wit in a way most games can only dream of, offering up the best an adventure game can offer. With a character that can easily be understood and cared for, OneShot creates an unforgettable adventure while hiding secrets that could very well be missed. What awaits in OneShot is well worth anyone’s time.

Entertainment Buddha - 85/10
Beautiful Puzzle/Adventure with Unique Mechanics
OneShot gripped my feelings almost right away with its lead character Niko. Following this lost child through this dark, beautiful world led to some amazing fourth wall breaking puzzles. During the beginning, without direction, it is difficult to discern what you need to do, but hey it wouldn't be a puzzle game without making you think right?

Cubed3 - 8/10
There's very little that can actually be said about how brilliant OneShot is. Be sure to stay well away from streams or a YouTube playthrough before getting the opportunity to experience it. Just expect to be treated to a thoroughly wonderful tale. Definitely consider checking it out.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Recommended
This is an incredible game. I started it with no expectations at all (as I mentioned before, I can’t even remember why I’d flagged the game to look at), and have come away from it as one of my favourite games of 2016. It rather nicely book-ends the year for me with Pony Island, two utterly different games that both explore similar themes from extremely different angles. Completely charming, delightfully written, and extremely clever – stick this on your Christmas playlist.

NitroRad (Video Review)
I easily recommend the game to anyone who's been itching for more of that meta narrative after playing the likes of Pony Island or Undertale... Especially Undertale. I still consider OneShot to be one of the most powerful, original RPG Maker games I've ever played. And the remake only strengthens that bond between Niko and the player, making your decisions and uncertainties towards those decisions all the more taxing. (...) I'm only going to pray for the success of OneShot (to become the next Undertale).

This game did release before Undertale, but this remake is coming after. I also will throw out there the original has stuck with me even these years later, so has my personal recommendation as well. It never got the traction it should of gotten back when it released the freeware version originally, hoping with the game now being over twice as long with a lot of new stuff it might finally get the attention it deserves.

Played the original? First you've ever heard of it? I recommend going in as blind as possible and just enjoying it. You do only have one shot though.

Dusk Golem

Can't wait to try this out, heard good things about the previous version.

The reason I'm piquing up was because I adored the original, but hoping with this remake they manage to capture a bigger audience with it. It certainly deserves it, but happy it's so close to release now since it got delayed several times.

CloakBass

Oooo I played this at GDC this year. Definitely seemed like there was something special about this game; some of the puzzles were a bit obtuse though.

Battlechili

Banned
I'm surprised this has an OT! I was so worried that it was so unknown that not even GAF or any reviewers would notice it. Really excited for its release! I've been waiting for this ever since Nightmargin said she and her partners were extending the game. The original game was really solid. I liked its quiet, somber atmosphere and was impressed with how it got me to care about the characters, world, and especially Niko. The puzzles threw me for a loop too. I wonder what sort of puzzles will be in it this time.

Also that soundtrack was really solid

Dusk Golem

Seems they found one last second bug and sorting it quickly, will be released shortly.

Oooo I played this at GDC this year. Definitely seemed like there was something special about this game; some of the puzzles were a bit obtuse though.

The puzzles definitely can be challenging, but the bright side is they open up a lot after the initial room you start off in the original. It certainly is a puzzle game though, but in many ways much more than a puzzle game.

I'm surprised this has an OT! I was so worried that it was so unknown that not even GAF would notice it. Really excited for its release! I've been waiting for this ever since Nightmargin said she and her partners were extending the game. The original game was really solid. I liked its quiet, somber atmosphere and was impressed with how it got me to care about the characters, world, and especially Niko. The puzzles threw me for a loop too. I wonder what sort of puzzles will be in it this time.

Also that soundtrack was really solid

There's no way I could let this little gem go under GAF's complete radar. I'm hoping it catches on, but one of my favorite things is making topics on games that certainly deserve more attention. Even if it raises awareness with only one person who's interested in this sort of game, I consider that a success.

I'm very excited for the release too, and yes I loved the soundtrack of the original. Apparently a lot more music, though the song is simple I always loved this track personally.

Dusk Golem

How much content/length was in the original version?

It was 2-5 hours originally, depending on how much you explored (there was side stuff to do), if getting stuck on puzzles or were breezing through them, that sort of thing.

According to NitroRad (who played the original and the remake), the new content more than doubles the length of the game so I will bet the new version is probably 4-10 hours long (The reason for such diversity in time is again, puzzles & side content).

It was 2-5 hours originally, depending on how much you explored (there was side stuff to do), if getting stuck on puzzles or were breezing through them, that sort of thing.

According to NitroRad (who played the original and the remake), the new content more than doubles the length of the game so I will bet the new version is probably 4-10 hours long (The reason for such diversity in time is again, puzzles & side content).

10 sounds like a good price though. With such high praise coming from you and others I think I will buy it when it's available.

Crayolan

It's out? :eek:

Had this game on my wishlist since I played the original, guess I'll pick it up during the winter sale since I'm busy with school work atm.

Hope they can get by on a $10 price tag though, the first one was very short (~2 hours iirc) and it's quite literally a one and done affair.

Dusk Golem

Another review:

Cubed3 - 8/10
There's very little that can actually be said about how brilliant OneShot is. Be sure to stay well away from streams or a YouTube playthrough before getting the opportunity to experience it. Just expect to be treated to a thoroughly wonderful tale. Definitely consider checking it out.

I bought this and have played a little. Though I've run into a particular annoyance that will be unique to players with PS4 controllers and Big Picture Mode(maybe just BPM).

slight spoilers:

You need to use BPM currently to use a PS4 controller. So when the game goes windowed in the natural progression and breaks the fourth wall, I have to minimize/exit BPM in order to do what's needed. If I minimize, upon remaximizing BPM, the game will not pop forward. So I exit BPM which makes the controller quit working. And there's no way to quit the game without sleeping in a bed or windowing the game and clicking the x. Which is far more unweildly in BPM with a controller.

Really, this is not the game's fault per se(though I don't see why I can't select quit from a menu).

I finished the game after 4 hours and enjoyed it. Although the impact of some of it's uniqueness is blunted due to Undertale and IMSCARED, to name two that do similar things. It seems this came first, so that's unfortunate. But it's still a quality experience. Those of you who've played the game before: what has been added? I can see potential value in replaying, I wonder if it is greatly or only minorly different.

ZugZug123

Just finished it. Happy that I was gifted it, hoping it builds up an audience via word of mouth.

Also
meant to be replayed ;)

DNAbro

Wow people should really be playing this game. Totally worth the money. Took like 5 hours but I got a lot out of it. The way it interacts with your computer is fantastic. Absolutely loved it and really started to care about Niko.

End Spoilers
I couldn't let him stay in that world. Ending was impactful.

Also speculation
I haven't played through again but I know certain things change and apparently there is countdown for sometime in March in it. I want to know more about this world so I'm excited to see if there is more coming.

Dusk Golem

RPS has a very positive review
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/12/oneshot-review/

ButI feel I spoiled some really cool things reading it. Which is part of what dulled my interest in Undertale. Are there still many interesting/clever aspects to uncover beyond the scope of what was mentioned in the review?

While it does spoil a few really cool bits, I would also say it doesn't ruin the whole experience or anything either.

Part of the problem with OneShot (and games like OneShot) is you want people to try the game as blind as possible, but as there's so many game's out there, it's hard to do that without telling you why it's worth checking out. But it's best experienced knowing as little as possible. Always a difficult conundrum.

One of OneShot's big points though which it has over many such games is that the main character is very, very likable. Maybe be one of the best executed main characters that kind of works like York from Deadly Premonition in the sense of how they form a relation with the player directly.

Tizoc

That is one long ass subtitle dg :v
It is on my wishlist and will consider getting it in the winter seal

ShadowOwl

Just picked up the game after I have seen the game on RPS (didn't even read the full artivle). Cannot wait to play this evening!

Dusk Golem

Looks neat, will buy if they ever put it on a platform I own. The premise and reviews are intriguing.
I hate to tell you this, but due to some things the game does it'd literally be impossible to port off PC without some MAJOR modifications.

Well, John Walker's glowing recommendation (and comparison to Pony Island) sold me. This is going on my year-end catchup list for sure.

DNAbro

Beat the game again this morning.

More thoughts/theories about certain characters
On a second playthrough you get a better glimpse into the world. Those moments where you where you get a brief flash of whom I am assuming is the Author gave me some ideas. One of the flashes looked like Niko, but older. I'm taking a shot and saying that Niko himself is the Author. Or at least he will become the Author if you leave him in that world. I'm not sure through what mechanism but I think he somehow travels back through time to try and help the world. Seems contrived but it gave me some ideas about the Entity as well.

I think the Entity is one of "tamed" robots that existed in that world. Specifically it is a robot that the Author, who I think is Niko, tamed. It gains access to your computer in a similar way that the Author does.(Which I don't know how) I think the Entity wants to destroy the world because it wants to free Niko from it. The Author seems to imply that he created the Entity so this is what makes sense to me.

Also after beating the game you get mention of another character named Rue who maybe is the Fox? The Fox says it's not time yet so I'm assuming once the countdown that appears on a second playthrough ends, the game will get patched with more stuff.

Finished this game... guess I was expecting more? Had a nice ending but it feels like there are so many deliberate hanging ends here.

Like, was there something I missed about
getting through the Mines in the Barrens, visiting the gravesite in the Glen, or that weird Fox thing? I know the Fox thing is apparently NG+ but I'm not sure I want to replay the whole thing for like a couple sentences.

DNAbro

Finished this game... guess I was expecting more? Had a nice ending but it feels like there are so many deliberate hanging ends here.

Like, was there something I missed about
getting through the Mines in the Barrens, visiting the gravesite in the Glen, or that weird Fox thing? I know the Fox thing is apparently NG+ but I'm not sure I want to replay the whole thing for like a couple sentences.

Seems like small gaps are filled in a 2nd playthrough and even then it's not all there. The full story and context is purposely not finished till later. Though I still think overall it was really nice.

Crayolan

Got the game and got up to the first break point. Already noticing quite a few changes, feels like they shuffled around the map and made each area more detailed. My memory of the original isn't perfect though.

Just one problem--the residential area in the barrens ran like shit. Moving left to right was fine but whenever I moved up and down visuals either got really choppy or just completely froze until I stopped moving. Everywhere else ran fine, so I dunno what's up with that area.

Crayolan

Got up to the part where
the entity tells Niko to go to sleep
, but the file that's supposed to show up in your documents isn't showing up for me, so I can't progress. ._.

DNAbro

Got up to the part where
, but the file that's supposed to show up in your documents isn't showing up for me, so I can't progress. ._.

I think those are separate parts? Niko going to sleep is something else. Unless the entity won't make the file appear until he goes to sleep which I guess is possible. When talking to the computer that's when it should appear in your documents. Also it's titled DOCUMENT.OneShot. Also I'm not sure if the code is randomly generated or not.

Got up to the part where
When you boot the game and you see Niko asleep, your background will change to tell you to open up an .exe file. It is either in your Documents folder or Program Files (x86) folder in your C:/ drive. Follow the directions from there (if this is where you are stuck).

DNAbro

When you boot the game and you see Niko asleep, your background will change to tell you to open up an .exe file. It is either in your Documents folder or Program Files (x86) folder in your C:/ drive. Follow the directions from there (if this is where you are stuck).

Oh yeah it's this part. I misunderstood. Yeah it's a different exe file, not a doc file. You might find it in your My Games>Oneshot folder.

Crayolan

Sorry, missed this post yesterday. To be more specific, here's an image of what I'm stuck on:

2tpPcT8.png

I go to Documents>My Games, but there's no OneShot folder in there, just a Life Is Strange Folder. I didn't think about checking Program Files, but at a glance there's a ton of stuff in there and I have no idea where to start looking.

Sorry, missed this post yesterday. To be more specific, here's an image of what I'm stuck on:

2tpPcT8.png

I go to Documents>My Games, but there's no OneShot folder in there, just a Life Is Strange Folder. I didn't think about checking Program Files, but at a glance there's a ton of stuff in there and I have no idea where to start looking.
If you don't have that folder you can find the .exe at C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OneShot. The executable should be at the top as ________.exe with a clover icon. Just make sure to keep it open once you start the game up again.

Crayolan

If you don't have that folder you can find the .exe at C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OneShot. The executable should be at the top as ________.exe with a clover icon. Just make sure to keep it open once you start the game up again.

This worked, thanks a lot!

The game is really improved as a whole from the original release with more to explore, more worldbulding/lore stuff available to find and more fourth-wall breaking puzzles. The one leading up to the ending was especially clever, a good twist on how it was handled in the original.

There was one time where combining two items didn't really make sense IMO
use scissors to cut the ground out of coffee grounds
, but considering you never get that many items at once trial and error takes only a few moments, so it's not a big deal.

Happy I played this version despite playing the original, it's different and improved enough that the original feels like a beta in comparison.

Yuuichi

Just a heads up about trying to by pass the
timer
that shows up after
you beat the game.

Don't bother setting your clock forward unless you want to read a 3 page note telling you that time isn't within your grasp. Looks like there'll be a patch on midnight of march 20th I guess.

edit:
There was one time where combining two items didn't really make sense IMO
use scissors to cut the ground out of coffee grounds
, but considering you never get that many items at once trial and error takes only a few moments, it's not a big deal.

The game really ties to give you this one,
lamp guy mentions that the button said "ground" and if you talk to the cafe clerk twice he explains that he told some panicked looking guy (obv lamp guy) a joke about how the only "ground" he had seen that day was coffee grounds. I didn't actually see this until I figured it out on accident but I felt pretty stupid after.

Battlechili

Banned
I just made it to the city. This game is so atmospheric. Just hearing On Little Cat Feet playing brings me joy. Its such a great soundtrack!

EDIT: Never say "hi" to penguins.

wamberz1

Just started this and I can already tell I'm going to love it, even though I'm only like 20 minutes in.

The meta-commentary reminds me of undertale and pony island, in all the right ways. The moment I saw the message "This game is best experienced in windowed mode" I knew I was in for a ride.

Stoze

I just finished 2 playthroughs of this, I liked it a whole lot and I'm glad I played it before goty voting is over so I can give the game its props. edit: Second playthrough spoilers tagged below

I will say I thought the second run was disappointing;
I assumed there'd be new accessible areas such as the mines, the flooded courtyard, the locked screen door, and visiting Rue/ the fox. Instead, you just get a few new lines of dialogue each, 2 new quick visions, and presumably a patch date. Luckily it only took less than an hour and a half to do, but it was pretty unfulfilling and there's not a lot changed.

Concerning the "timer"...
I'm hoping when I do an inevitable third play-through in March my 2nd ending (breaking the glass) doesn't fuck things up when it comes to the update.

This game deserves more than a page's worth of posts in the OT, haha. And along with that, if anyone enjoyed Undertale (there are at least three of us), I think it'd be worth it to ya to spend $10 on this game!

I just finished this game and could not stop blabbing about it to my coworkers, and it's one of those games you really can't talk about without ruining the experience. And, I got more attached to Niko than I thought I would. The creator did an amazing job setting the tone and pushing the player right where they wanted them. I'm fully invested in this story, haha, though that was true after only five minutes of play, anyway.

I
can't wait to see what happens on the Spring solstice. I advanced my PC's time but looks like the content just isn't there. Took an L and set my clock back, haha

Granjinha

I just finished the Solstice content (from the patch) and holy shit. So many feels. What a great ending. This game is really special.

If people liked the original game, please play the Solstice content. It's amazing.

Anyone played it?

I did two playthroughs and I'm curious if I have to start a third and make it all the way back to the timer to see new stuff.

I did. It's absolutely worth it and if anyone liked the original game, the NG+ is even more amazing.

You have to get to the mines to trigger the new content (after you have the vision, new dialogue and stuff will be unlocked)

DNAbro

Okay I finally took time out to play it and holy shit I didn't expect to get so emotional. OneShot takes the award for being the second game that has ever caused tears to stream down my face.

It's nowhere near the best game I've played, but I I'm a glad I got to play this game. It will have a special place in my memories for making me build that much empathy for a fictional character.

Ending spoilers
I'm glad I met Niko.

Okamid3n

I just finished the Solstice content (from the patch) and holy shit. So many feels. What a great ending. This game is really special.

If people liked the original game, please play the Solstice content. It's amazing.

Yea, the new content made the whole thing even more worth it. I was sad at how short the game was and how fast the ending happened before this update, but now I have zero complaint. This was really good.

hoggert

the NG+ ending OMG
Kept being like "hey why isn't f8 working why can't i go full screen again whats going on guys GUYS GUYS"
made me scream HOLY SHIT
I was thinking of a second regular playthrough to see the other ending and do some of the ram related side quests and the few optional stuff I missed but I'd feel too bad even though it's not the "real" Niko

Top Bottom