• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oninaki |OT| Better not pout better not cry

sublimit

Banned
So i've finished the game yesterday (just in time for Code Vein which i got today. )
I took my time with it (i completed the skill trees of 2 Daemons and almost a 3rd one) and tried to find and complete most of the Lost Souls sidequests.All in all i enjoyed it a lot and i felt that it gave me back more than my money's worth (i had bought it day 1 even if i still believe that it should have been priced 10$/euros less.
I didn't played in NG+ but it said that it unlocked some new areas to explore.

The game had quite many flaws but also quite many pros.Here are some that stood out for me:
Pros Art direction.Really beautiful art style both in terms of character designs as well as architecture.
Cons Too many re-used assets for architecture,too many enemy reskins and a lot of enemy designs felt a bit generic (in contrast with the actual characters)
Pros Very interesting premise for the story regarding the reincarnation cycle and the impact the death of a loved one has on people's lives.
Cons Unfortunately the story felt rushed. To me it felt as if the game was more ambitious than their budget allowed them to be and SE forced them to complete the game within the deadlines. For example seemingly important characters were dying without the game ever explaining how they died. Eventually the story ended up using the typical cliches and tropes we see in many JRPGs but i think these were the result of the pressure the team felt due to budget and time restrictions. I think if they had the time to evolve and expand the story properly they may had avoided some of those cliches.
ConsThe menus needed a bit more work because sometimes they were needlessly tiresome to navigate (like when you were upgrading weapons and browsing endless lists of loot).
ConsSidequests were very simplistic and didn't offered much in the story. Also some were missable if you neglected them for too long and it was also hard to remember where the quest givers were if you had to go back to them. Thankfully most of the times they were coming with you.
Pros Loved the concept of the daemons and it was very fun to switch between them and try their different skills.
Cons Unfortunately the game actually rewarded you for sticking with 2-3 Daemons for the most part because the ones that you didn't use remained very weak unless you grinded for hours. Also the enemies didn't offer much variety in the way they attacked so there wasn't really a need to try out the various skills of your Daemons.Due to that the combat felt repetitive.
ProsI absolutely loved the memory lore behind each Daemon.I completed 3 Daemon lores (Zaav,Zephyr and Dia) and loved all of them. These are reasons enough to go back at the game at some point and try to unlock the memories of the others as well.
ProsI liked most of the music and there were a couple of music themes (like the one that was usually playing during Daemon Lore) that i absolutely loved. I may look to buy the actual OST at some point. Japanese voice acting also felt really good.
Cons Boring and repetitive dungeon designs (gameplay-wise) that at times felt as if they were stretching them a bit too much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom