• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation London Bridge - The plans for the death of Queen Elizabeth II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Guardian today has published the latest in their Long Reads series, an article on the plans for the death of Queen Elizabeth II and all of the questions that will come with it. The piece is incredibly detailed and very interesting so I advise you to read it all if you have the time...but I've picked out some choice lines below to give a flavour.

When this happens it will be a massive shock to this country, the Queen represents so much of our 'Greatness'...and there could be a really serious shift in national identity when she passes.

And yes...we can plan a funeral for a ceremonial head of state but we can't plan for an event like Brexit that will transform our economy and society. Long live the Queen!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

---

The last time a British monarch died, 65 years ago, the demise of George VI was conveyed in a code word, “Hyde Park Corner”, to Buckingham Palace, to prevent switchboard operators from finding out. For Elizabeth II, the plan for what happens next is known as “London Bridge.” The prime minister will be woken, if she is not already awake, and civil servants will say “London Bridge is down” on secure lines.

calls will go out to royal experts who have already signed contracts to speak exclusively on those channels.

In the nine days that follow (in London Bridge planning documents, these are known as “D-day”, “D+1” and so on) there will be ritual proclamations, a four-nation tour by the new king, bowdlerised television programming, and a diplomatic assembling in London not seen since the death of Winston Churchill in 1965.

One of the concerns of the broadcasters is what the crowds will look like as they seek to record these moments of history. “The whole world is going to be bloody doing this,” said one news executive, holding up his phone in front of his face.
If the crown was going to give up its executive authority, it would have to inspire loyalty and awe by other means – and theatre was part of the answer. “The more democratic we get,” wrote Bagehot in 1867, “the more we shall get to like state and show.”

For a long time, the art of royal spectacle was for other, weaker peoples: Italians, Russians, and Habsburgs. British ritual occasions were a mess. At the funeral of Princess Charlotte, in 1817, the undertakers were drunk. Victoria’s coronation a few years later was nothing to write home about. The clergy got lost in the words; the singing was awful; and the royal jewellers made the coronation ring for the wrong finger. “Some nations have a gift for ceremonial,” the Marquess of Salisbury wrote in 1860. “In England the case is exactly the reverse.”

It is such a long time since the death of a monarch that many national organisations won’t know what to do. The official advice, as it was last time, will be that business should continue as usual. This won’t necessarily happen. If the Queen dies during Royal Ascot, the meet will be scrapped. The Marylebone Cricket Club is said to hold insurance for a similar outcome if she passes away during a home test match at Lord’s. After the death of George VI in 1952, rugby and hockey fixtures were called off, while football matches went ahead. Fans sang Abide With Me and the national anthem before kick off. The National Theatre will close if the news breaks before 4pm, and stay open if not. All games, including golf, will be banned in the Royal Parks.

British royals are buried in lead-lined coffins. Diana’s weighed a quarter of a ton.

The population will slide between sadness and irritability. In 2002, 130 people complained to the BBC about its insensitive coverage of the Queen Mother’s death; another 1,500 complained that Casualty was moved to BBC2. The TV schedules in the days after the Queen’s death will change again. Comedy won’t be taken off the BBC completely, but most satire will. There will be Dad’s Army reruns, but no Have I Got News For You.

For George VI, 305,000 subjects came. The line was four miles long. The palace is expecting half a million for the Queen.

In 1936, the four sons of George V revived The Prince’s Vigil, in which members of the royal family arrive unannounced and stand watch. The Queen’s children and grandchildren – including women for the first time – will do the same.

In 1952, it took three jewellers almost two hours to remove all the dust. (The Star of Africa, on the royal sceptre, is the largest diamond in the world.)
When the coffin emerges again, the pallbearers will place it on the green gun carriage that was used for the Queen’s father, and his father and his father’s father, and 138 junior sailors will drop their heads to their chests and pull.

If the monarchy exists as theatre, then this doubt is the part of the drama. Can they still pull it off? Knowing everything that we know in 2017, how can it possibly hold that a single person might contain the soul of a nation? The point of the monarchy is not to answer such questions. It is to continue. “What a lot of our life we spend in acting,” the Queen Mother used to say.

jstripes

Banned
I read this during my commute this morning. It's an almost unimaginably complex situation.

Last year a local paper had a similar article about what would happen here in Canada when the Queen dies.

It's like they're trying to tell us something.

DBT85

I really have no issue with the monarchy and hope that Charles passes on the job and lets William do it.

However, when queenie pops it, I'm going to go "oh, the Queens dead" and carry the fuck on with whatever I'm doing. It won't make me stop and think, it won't make me ponder anything. The country will roll on regardless.

PJV3

Public holidays and hopefully Charles hastening the end of the family business, I'm not really interested in all the faux medieval stuff.

It'll be one of those weird events where technically next to no-one's daily life is affected, yet I can't help but feel the world will just sort of stop for a moment. Liz has been a simple fact of the background for the vast majority of the people alive today; to see her go would be one of those things that would just make one pause and realise that, indeed, time passes on.

ruxtpin

Banned
But if we already know the secret phase is London Bridge is Down, isn't it not a secret anymore? Thus making the need to keep it a secret mute? So couldn't they just phone and say "she's dead"?

Away and shite.

I don't mean that in the sense that it'll change the way people view themselves or their country.

But at an establishment level it will be a significant event and a really clear divide between the time when this country did have a truly global reach and influence to whatever it is we are now.

I really have no issue with the monarchy and hope that Charles passes on the job and lets William do it.

However, when queenie pops it, I'm going to go "oh, the Queens dead" and carry the fuck on with whatever I'm doing. It won't make me stop and think, it won't make me ponder anything. The country will roll on regardless.

This, except I cant stand the monarchy.

Maledict

It's half a million per day, not in total.

And we're going to have to rename every frigging plan now. Bloody journalists!

It'll be one of those weird events where technically next to no-one's daily life is affected, yet I can't help but feel the world will just sort of stop for a moment. Liz has been a simple fact of the background for the vast majority of the people alive today; to see her go would be one of those things that would just make one pause and realise that, indeed, time passes on.
It's kind of like the Pope dying and the next one being nominated. All eyes of the world will see/know about it but it won't really affect anyone in any personal way except those who actually knew him.

I'm sure the world will be watching and it'll be plastered on the news for weeks on end. She's probably outlived every other person on the throne, so there's nothing left to speculate but her death.

PJV3

I don't get the point of saying London Bridge is down if everyone knows what it means, it's like not putting the post office tower on maps.

Madness

It's definitely going to be strange, after all this time, when the day comes.

Yup. But her being so ceremonial and reclusive, it won't have as much a shock as Diana or her kids would. The world doesn't know Queen Elizabeth intimately and monarchs are not revered as gods or leaders as much anymore. Think about how much the Japanese revered their Emperor etc. Or when William assumes the throne, how the world will view Queen Catherine aka Kate.

Wvrs

I can't say I care, it's a ridiculously outdated tradition that runs completely at odds with notions of equality and meritocracy, and epitomises the class divide that's so prevalent in Britain.

All respect for the job she's done and no ill will against her, but once she's dead I'd only be happy with abolition.

now, lets talk Charles.

I don't have anything against the guy, but I think he should abdicate in favour of William.
Something something generational.
-----

I'm no Monarchist by any stretch but Elizabeth II is a transformative figure of endurance post WW2 Britain that kept the balance between stability and modernization.

Also she was the first Monarch who respected the democratic wishes of former colonies in the commonwealth who wanted to go their own way. And she also helped speed up the process cordially with some Commonwealth countries smoothly.

Elizabeth II was also was on the right side of history in regards of jumping on the anti-Apartheid Gondwanaland while Margaret Thatcher was taking her Reagan-esque ass a long time to change.

Moobabe

Yup. But her being so ceremonial and reclusive, it won't have as much a shock as Diana or her kids would. The world doesn't know Queen Elizabeth intimately and monarchs are not revered as gods or leaders as much anymore. Think about how much the Japanese revered their Emperor etc. Or when William assumes the throne, how the world will view Queen Catherine aka Kate.

I'm not so sure about this.

I think the scale of grief for this will be much broader, and felt much more widespread, than Diana.

It might not reach some of the emotional heights but this will be felt far and wide, even as an "I was there" moment.

kirblar

I think you greatly underestimate how much she's respected.

“The King’s life is moving peacefully towards its close,” was the final notice issued by George V’s doctor, Lord Dawson, at 9.30pm on the night of 20 January 1936. Not long afterwards, Dawson injected the king with 750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine – enough to kill him twice over – in order to ease the monarch’s suffering, and to have him expire in time for the printing presses of the Times, which rolled at midnight.

So planned regicide.

Dr.Acula

Banned
"Hyde Park Corner" is a good, innocuous code phrase.

"London Bridge is down" actually sounds more serious than the Queen dying. Imagine not being in the loop and freaking out and someone else on staff saying, "so sad about the Queen."

"The Queen," you'd scream, "we've no time to worry about that -London Bridge is down!!"

But if we already know the secret phase is London Bridge is Down, isn't it not a secret anymore? Thus making the need to keep it a secret mute? So couldn't they just phone and say "she's dead"?

And what happens if London Bridge actually does collapse? Do they have to break the news by saying "The Queen is dead?"

L Thammy

Why are there still kings and queens, these days? I thought was just for the feudal society, middle ages etc.

We're still a feudal society in Canada so we need the Queen to rule us via the Governor General. I'm worried that the Duke of Quebec might make a power ploy though.

JordanN

Banned
Why are there still kings and queens, these days? I thought was just for the feudal society, middle ages etc.

I would be ok with monarchy, if it meant every citizen had a chance to be king or queen.

But being given a kingdom based on bloodline is pure bullshit. Either pay for that stuff yourself or turn it over to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom