• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| - Star Wars Squadrons: Rogue-ing in the XXIst Century

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Does anyone know if the game comes with really basic controls?

Like Ace Combat novice control set which is literally playing it like After Burner and you don't have to worry about yaw?

- Accelerate
- Brake
- LS steers your plane up/down/left/right

That's it.

Left stick Up/down Throttle up/down
left/right roll
Right stick Up/down Up/down
Left/right Turn

Last edited:

Bubba77

Left stick Up/down Throttle up/down
left/right roll
Right stick Up/down Up/down
Left/right Turn
yea little more complicated than AC7 easy mode. I tried VR today with gamepad. Took some getting used to. Will hook up the hotas later and see how it feels.

Kev Kev

one thing im not seeing a lot of in the videos (ive only watched a couple) is the pilots looking around the ships. using whatever windows they have available to check their surroundings and what not. does anyone know you can look all around or is it limited? i cant imagine they would limit that, but i just havent seen people looking around a lot. it could just be that they are playing a flat screen version of the game

one of the things i loved about no mans sky was how different ships felt different according to the windows it had and shape of the cock pit and all that. getting into a new ship was always exciting, just because i knew the look and feel would be wildly different

either way im picking this up. looks phenomenal. i hope we have a game like this one day, but its more fleshed out with a cantina or something we can walk around in that maybe has a hangar. looks like the reception of this game is positive so fingers crossed!

John2290

I was wrong, restarted the prolouges again this time without the bumbling and got into the meat of the game, past the first mission and upped the difficulty to veteran and turned on simulation mode where the instruments in the cockpit replace the hood. I'ts much better than okay, it's pretty great in VR, it's one of those games where the immersion takes over and you forget about your body and the world around you. Once all the systems come into play, as simple as they are it works in a very satisfying way. Loving it so far but, again, it could do with some optimization to get more clarity going.

I'm hoping there is going to be battles along the ground or in the lower atmosphere of planets later on but if not it's still a joy to slow drift by one of those huge star ships. I fucking love VR. If you have a headset you need to play this, regardless of your love/hate for Star Wars. I can't recommend it in 2d though, it loses it's edge and feels a bit generic.

Gonna head into the multplayer now and see how that goes.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Played a few hours so far, both in VR (rift) and regular, both with a stick and with a gamepad . Definitely superior in VR, playing as the alliance gives you a cockpit that you can look left and right with which will definitely help with targeting, but you give up some resolution. Gamepad vs stick is about the same. They both seem like they will have similar skill ceilings.

RAIDEN1

Noticed a MAJOR glitch in the game today, not sure if it happened to anyone else, on the first mission that you take part in for the empire.. you have to take some gun towers down in your Tie Fighter, one part I had to follow the squad leader and she was doing something REALLY strange, she was colliding her fighter in an area of the "junkyard" for want of a better word that you are in, at first I thought she was trying to attack some ground unit, which wasn't immediately obvious, but no she literally kept hitting her Tie into the ground, and I was like WTF? So then I thought let me collide with her tie-fighter, that didn't do anything, then I tried to see if somehow shooting at her would move her along but her space-craft seemed near indestructible, and I couldn't progress with the mission further without "following" her... so I thought forget this let me restart from my most recent checkpoint, and that fixed the issue...this time I could actually follow her as I needed to do. I wasn't expecting that at all! Hopefully that is the one and only instance it occurs, though I am aware that the game was in the process of installing a patch, but I think that's more on the multiplayer side of things rather than the solo side...

Last edited:

Frotchki

Neo Member
one thing im not seeing a lot of in the videos (ive only watched a couple) is the pilots looking around the ships. using whatever windows they have available to check their surroundings and what not. does anyone know you can look all around or is it limited? i cant imagine they would limit that, but i just havent seen people looking around a lot. it could just be that they are playing a flat screen version of the game
In VR you definitely can. Haven’t played normally yet so IDK about that. Id assume no tho.”

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Oh god the controls are So horrible. Played an hour and still can’t fly the ships very well.

Sentenza

Played another couple of multiplayer matches with a friend tonight but I'm parking this one in a corner until they'll fix the framerate issues, because in its current state is absolute garbage played above 60hz.
What's worse, locking it at 60fps with Vsync (which is less than ideal anyway, to put it mildly) doesn't even work in multiplayer as Vsync deactivates automatically while playing online.

EDIT: on a positive sidenote, the devs have at least acknowledged that the issue exists and claim to be at work to fix it:

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
What's worse, locking it at 60fps with Vsync (which is less than ideal anyway, to put it mildly) doesn't even work in multiplayer as Vsync deactivates automatically while playing online.
Yeah that's weird. It also randomly deactivates in menus so I end up with 3000 fps and my GPU fans going crazy.

John2290

The MP is great in VR but it suffers from the same shitty holding patterns that AC7 does and people are catching on that if you go into a spiral you can escape a pursuer so everyone ends up just circling around each other. The maps that make this tactic hard to do are amazing though, weaving through asteroids in chases is incredible. Almost, true immersion that you can loose reality and drift off into this world.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok so not looking to get banned here, but some of these initial 10 possible human head choices are God awful looking....and how they even allow you to give obvious male characters full on female body types and female voices and vice versa for the female characters seems just thrown in there to be PC. Im all for people to have whatever customizations they like but this is just poorly executed and awkward

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Well, I tried it out. Unfortunately, there was a bit too much stuttering for me in VR -- not enough to make it unplayable, but enough to break the immersion. Couple that with the apparently very limited control configurations and a real lack of a sense of speed, and I'm probably going to request a refund. I've still got Ace Combat 7 and Flight Simulator, so I won't be hurting in that department at least.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ok so not looking to get banned here, but some of these initial 10 possible human head choices are God awful looking....and how they even allow you to give obvious male characters full on female body types and female voices and vice versa for the female characters seems just thrown in there to be PC. Im all for people to have whatever customizations they like but this is just poorly executed and awkward

Nothing banworthy about saying so.

ManaByte

So fucking good. A true successor to X-Wing/TIE Fighter. The ships handle as they should and I can't believe they got it playable on gamepads.

Esca

Played for a couple of hours tonight and really like it. I'm enjoying the story to fit what it is.
Can't wait to try out the vr side, want up for trying tonight. Fun game though and happy with my purchase thus far

THE BAD: This took me HOURS to set up and figure out correctly with VR and HOTAS controls the way I wanted them mapped etc. And the single player is eh...

THE GOOD: Everything else. In VR with HOTAS you can legitimately experience what it’s like to fly an x-wing - no exaggeration. The multiplayer is one of the best experiences I’ve ever had - if you are a Star Wars fan and have the set up. It is FULLY worth the money. They could literally just put this in Star Wars land or whatever in Disney world and people would pay forty bucks just to play it once. I am completely amazed.

Romulus

They could literally just put this in Star Wars land or whatever in Disney world and people would pay forty bucks just to play it once. I am completely amazed.

It really is in VR, can't believe I can play this at home. Fucking flying over Star Destroyers in VR feels incredible.

It really is in VR, can't believe I can play this at home. Fucking flying over Star Destroyers in VR feels incredible.
yeah I have been continually in shock that I can actually play something like this in my own house. I keep finding myself feeling like I’ve gotten away with some unintended thing like “surely they didn’t expect me to be having this experience for the rest of time whenever I want for just 40 bucks”

Again I have no idea what the non-vr experience is. But let me put it this way, I was going to sell my PC and headset and everything, get some quick cash. But this has actually completely changed my mind about that - too valuable to have the ability to just hop into a tie fighter or x-wing whenever I want.

Last edited:

Kitbash

one thing im not seeing a lot of in the videos (ive only watched a couple) is the pilots looking around the ships. using whatever windows they have available to check their surroundings and what not. does anyone know you can look all around or is it limited?
There's a free look toggle that will let you do this. It's not very useful with the default keybinding on PC though ("L" on the keyboard).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just played a little bit, the tutorial and a bit of the first mission before quitting to figure some settings out. Loads of technical annoyances and quirks on this thing but holy fuck in VR it's simply awesome to be in a TIE fighter cockpit, the scale of everything is spot on, it feels scary to weave around a fleet or structures or whatever and that ship feels appropriately nimble and fragile. I don't think any other game got this so right before and I've played others in VR. I don't imagine the rest of the game design and what not will be on par but they have a solid core here that ideally they will expand on in the future. I wanted to play with just instruments, no HUD (which still has hud elements like a rectangle around your target and crosshair mind) but in the TIE fighter at least it seems impossible. Without arrows to tell you the direction the target you try to follow disappeared toward you have to avert your eyes to the in-cockpit radar because the TIE fighter only has a small forward window so you can't just follow the target with your eyes as you dogfight, perhaps it's more doable as a rebel.

It seemed decently smooth to me, no real stuttering some have reported, though perhaps it didn't run at 90 fps and only 60 I didn't notice yet from the excitement and other issues. It has other things that annoy me. Like how there's a separate controls screen for each device like it expects you to use either one or another, either keyboard and mouse, or a flight stick or a gamepad, or whatever. I don't have a full hotas yet myself so I want to use the flight stick with my keyboard in place of a throttle piece, using the stick inputs for basic flight combat stuff and the keyboard for throttle and targeting and all other functions. Basically what I do so far in all such games, from Freespace 2 to MS Flight Simulator to MechWarrior 4; Mercenaries, they all do combinations well.

Ideally there would be one controls screen and you'd set input from any device you desired separately for each function. Then the game would report that function itself in the relevant messages (including duplicates from diff devices). Instead since it thought I only want to use a flight stick it kept asking me to press button 11 or whatever crap those defaulted to (buttons on the stick's base, not reachable with one hand unless you let go of the stick) when for that stuff I wanted to use a keyboard key instead, it wouldn't accept that input until I pressed that button 11 (even though I'm pretty sure I pressed the keyboard equivalent of that function as I had set it, but perhaps the next point ties into this, maybe it hadn't saved that properly after all so I didn't press the right key).

I think there may be issues with controls resetting or not saving right after customizing or perhaps not saving between the game switching to a different device as default or something cos I had to switch my roll and yaw axis three times before it finally worked as I wanted it to. Still all things considered multiple devices do work in combination so after you learn the controls by heart and get past the tutorials there should be no issues, if it does save properly.

Also I first started it up out of VR and changed it to fullscreen, then I saw it doesn't really let you mess with settings in detail before starting it but only has some basic options and throws you right in the game so I wanted to experience that in VR and switched but it just wouldn't work, it kept minimizing on the desktop and the VR picture went blank until I brought it back up. So I started it out of VR again, changed it back to borderless and then it did this once with the SteamVR window popping over it, but after I clicked in the game again it stayed good.

Last edited:
Just played a little bit, the tutorial and a bit of the first mission before quitting to figure some settings out. Loads of technical annoyances and quirks on this thing but holy fuck in VR it's simply awesome to be in a TIE fighter cockpit, the scale of everything is spot on, it feels scary to weave around a fleet or structures or whatever and that ship feels appropriately nimble and fragile. I don't think any other game got this so right before and I've played others in VR. I don't imagine the rest of the game design and what not will be on par but they have a solid core here that ideally they will expand on in the future. I wanted to play with just instruments, no HUD (which still has hud elements like a rectangle around your target and crosshair mind) but in the TIE fighter at least it seems impossible. Without arrows to tell you the direction the target you try to follow disappeared toward you have to avert your eyes to the in-cockpit radar because the TIE fighter only has a small forward window so you can't just follow the target with your eyes as you dogfight, perhaps it's more doable as a rebel.

It seemed decently smooth to me, no real stuttering some have reported, though perhaps it didn't run at 90 fps and only 60 I didn't notice yet from the excitement and other issues. It has other things that annoy me. Like how there's a separate controls screen for each device like it expects you to use either one or another, either keyboard and mouse, or a flight stick or a gamepad, or whatever. I don't have a full hotas yet myself so I want to use the flight stick with my keyboard in place of a throttle piece, using the stick inputs for basic flight combat stuff and the keyboard for throttle and targeting and all other functions. Basically what I do so far in all such games, from Freespace 2 to MS Flight Simulator to MechWarrior 4; Mercenaries, they all do combinations well.

Ideally there would be one controls screen and you'd set input from any device you desired separately for each function. Then the game would report that function itself in the relevant messages (including duplicates from diff devices). Instead since it thought I only want to use a flight stick it kept asking me to press button 11 or whatever crap those defaulted to (buttons on the stick's base, not reachable with one hand unless you let go of the stick) when for that stuff I wanted to use a keyboard key instead, it wouldn't accept that input until I pressed that button 11 (even though I'm pretty sure I pressed the keyboard equivalent of that function as I had set it, but perhaps the next point ties into this, maybe it hadn't saved that properly after all so I didn't press the right key).

I think there may be issues with controls resetting or not saving right after customizing or perhaps not saving between the game switching to a different device as default or something cos I had to switch my roll and yaw axis three times before it finally worked as I wanted it to. Still all things considered multiple devices do work in combination so after you learn the controls by heart and get past the tutorials there should be no issues, if it does save properly.

Also I first started it up out of VR and changed it to fullscreen, then I saw it doesn't really let you mess with settings in detail before starting it but only has some basic options and throws you right in the game so I wanted to experience that in VR and switched but it just wouldn't work, it kept minimizing on the desktop and the VR picture went blank until I brought it back up. So I started it out of VR again, changed it back to borderless and then it did this once with the SteamVR window popping over it, but after I clicked in the game again it stayed good.
I don’t think you can switch between the HOTAS and mouse/keyboard/reg controller smoothly - for me it only registered that I had the HOTAS after I unplugged everything else. Then I basically make sure not to use any other form of control when playing the game other than the joystick stuff because I feel like it’ll revert the remapping I did. Honestly the setting up of HOTAS and VR was such a big issue for me that it severely impacted my desire to play the game the first time I installed it. I didn’t revisit it for a full day basically.

royox

Why would ANYBODY ban you for saying that?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don’t think you can switch between the HOTAS and mouse/keyboard/reg controller smoothly - for me it only registered that I had the HOTAS after I unplugged everything else. Then I basically make sure not to use any other form of control when playing the game other than the joystick stuff because I feel like it’ll revert the remapping I did. Honestly the setting up of HOTAS and VR was such a big issue for me that it severely impacted my desire to play the game the first time I installed it. I didn’t revisit it for a full day basically.
So if I'm right in that configuration resets/doesn't save after changing device and that's why I had to redo my axis and stuff that sucks and needs to be fixed. But outside that, even if the game brings up a single device's prompts, you can use the rest devices too. But yeah what you say is a huge issue, I hadn't experiment enough to be sure since as I said I only played briefly bits of the first mission and there I could use my keyboard with my flight stick with I guess the default controls, some of which I intended to keep (ie W/S for thrust up/down). I definitely want to customise the controls for both though so if that's currently impossible as you say I wouldn't consider it playable in this manner and I wouldn't want to just use my flight stick to play the game with my hands cramped on it to reach the base buttons and little shitty throttle lever so I'd wait for patches. It would be great if they specifically supported multi-device control (I mean, other people have different model pedals, stick and throttle and they shouldn't have to deal with trying to find ways to make them ape a single device with all those inputs and axis for the game to work with all of them with custom controls) but at least it sounds like it should be an easy quick fix if they just save the configs for all devices properly rather than revert to defaults when switching them out so they should at least do that much even if they don't care too much. Hopefully. I'll wait and see what they do over the next week. Idk why modern devs of this sort of game have so much trouble with making control configuration when devs managed that just fine aeons ago. Like how Ace Combat 7 doesn't even let you configure the controls and only offers presets for specifically supported models of stick/hotas and now this.

Last edited:

Resenge

I'm really loving it on my Rift S, also bought it on ps4 pro to support this type of game.

Even in ps4 switching from non VR to VR is insane. While blurrier in VR, what you actually gain is incredible. Its not even close.
The MP is great in VR but it suffers from the same shitty holding patterns that AC7 does and people are catching on that if you go into a spiral you can escape a pursuer so everyone ends up just circling around each other. The maps that make this tactic hard to do are amazing though, weaving through asteroids in chases is incredible. Almost, true immersion that you can loose reality and drift off into this world.

Ok im sold.

I heard there is some problems on PC, How bad is it? I don't mind getting PSVR if it avoids hackers and stuttering I've heard about. Of course I would rather go with PCVR if the PCVR problems are overblown though.

So if I'm right in that configuration resets/doesn't save after changing device and that's why I had to redo my axis and stuff that sucks and needs to be fixed. But outside that, even if the game brings up a single device's prompts, you can use the rest devices too. But yeah what you say is a huge issue, I hadn't experiment enough to be sure since as I said I only played briefly bits of the first mission and there I could use my keyboard with my flight stick with I guess the default controls, some of which I intended to keep (ie W/S for thrust up/down). I definitely want to customise the controls for both though so if that's currently impossible as you say I wouldn't consider it playable in this manner and I wouldn't want to just use my flight stick to play the game with my hands cramped on it to reach the base buttons and little shitty throttle lever so I'd wait for patches. It would be great if they specifically supported multi-device control (I mean, other people have different model pedals, stick and throttle and they shouldn't have to deal with trying to find ways to make them ape a single device with all those inputs and axis for the game to work with all of them with custom controls) but at least it sounds like it should be an easy quick fix if they just save the configs for all devices properly rather than revert to defaults when switching them out so they should at least do that much even if they don't care too much. Hopefully. I'll wait and see what they do over the next week. Idk why modern devs of this sort of game have so much trouble with making control configuration when devs managed that just fine aeons ago. Like how Ace Combat 7 doesn't even let you configure the controls and only offers presets for specifically supported models of stick/hotas and now this.
I mean I’m not positive it will revert but I just haven’t risked it, it was too much of a pain in the ass to get working in the first place

Sentenza

The amount of people on the Steam forums BRAGGING that they are "getting 200 fps without any issue", without even realizing that refresh rate above 60hz is currently broken for EVERYONE without exception, is frankly a bit embarrassing.

Ok im sold.

I heard there is some problems on PC, How bad is it? I don't mind getting PSVR if it avoids hackers and stuttering I've heard about. Of course I would rather go with PCVR if the PCVR problems are overblown though.
I hear the graphics suck on PSVR - for me personally I’d just get the PCVR and go through the laborious process to get it configured correctly - it is very very worth it

Resenge

I hear the graphics suck on PSVR - for me personally I’d just get the PCVR and go through the laborious process to get it configured correctly - it is very very worth it
I understand the PSVR problems. I chose PSVR over PCVR on No Mans Sky at VR launch because the PCVR port was not great with framerate even though the PSVR was blurry as hell, in VR I can overlook that after a while. I would would rather play a smooth blurry PSVR port with little or no hackers than a clean PCVR port that stutters when you look around and players that insta kill me or can't be killed, that would wreck the game for me.

You mention configurations, are there any mods or configs that are recomended?

Last edited:

Sentenza

Shall I get this on pc or Xbox? I hear lots of issues in pc
Wouldn't really say a lot. It has a couple of fairly annoying ones, that should be relatively easy to fix now that the devs acknowledged them.
As usual, they are "issues" (like the inability to go above 60hz) that on console are not even an option to begin with, so there's that.

I understand the PSVR problems. I chose PSVR over PCVR on No Mans Sky at VR launch because the PCVR port was not great with framerate even though the PSVR was blurry as hell, in VR I can overlook that after a while. I would would rather play a smooth blurry PSVR port with little or no hackers than a clean PCVR port that stutters when you look around and players that insta kill me or can't be killed, that would wreck the game for me.

You mention configurations, are there any mods or configs that are recomended?
I haven’t really noticed the stuttering or hackers or anything like that personally but maybe I’m in the minority - I just know re: configurations with the PC one I had a little trouble getting the HOTAS to work properly and map the controls.

darthvargi

Ok im sold.

I bought it on both Steam and PS4. Both versions stutter for me in VR. I had awful stuttering using Oculus Link on Steam but it's because the Steam version doesn't support the Oculus SDK version. I've heard Origin and Epic have it. I ended up getting a refund.

PSVR also stutters but mostly just in the hangar between missions. It's annoying but not game breaking. I do get a few stutters on missions but it's a smoother experience.

For reference I only have a 1070 and older i7-7700 so that could explain some of the issues I had with Steam.

John2290

K&M players are just insane, even when in the VR headset. Cross play is a state as usually and there are for sure some hackers on here but when cross play is turned off it's impossible to find a match. Looks like the PC players ran the ps4 players off of the game already.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
After a lot of tweaking to the controls I finally got something close to rogue squadron that I can play with ! That brought this game way up for me.

Top Bottom