• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars Jedi Survivor (PS5)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Star%20Wars%20Jedi%20Survivor%20Review%20Banner.png

I’ve loved Star Wars since I was a kid and was happy to have played this game.

The formula in Jedi Survivor is very traditional, campaign spanning over 6 chapters, 3 main planets, and 25-40 hours.

star-wars-jedi-survivor-full-planet-map.jpeg

3 main planets and another secret planet known as “Tanalorr”.

Observe Star Wars GIF by Xbox

Being a Jedi was an experience, its using the force, the lightsaber, landing big time combos on storm troopers and a large variety of enemies. A lot of people reduce Star Wars to a “space opera” but its influence here has samples from Horizon, Mass Effect, ghost of tsushima, Assassins Creed Valhalla, and other very good open world games.

Star Wars Jedi survivor was just relatable, defining the odds against the sith.

star-wars-jedi-survivor-fractured-resolve-force-tear-3.jpg

No one would argue Jedi Survivor is an open world game, some of the worlds are reduced but they could not be healthier with content.

Cal carries the lead role and finishes as one of the most powerful Jedi, early on the planet Coruscant Cal is pursuing Senator Sejan and the squad forms very quickly I’ll mention Bode Akuna (Jetpack), and eventually Merrin, (dathomirian nightsister) who makes the game way better. Expect to see a lot of her and has one of the best missions in the game.

19aae6d22e61616f3638325d5bbaf04a66dc8e25.gif

Droids are different now, you see BB1 being used different in a variety of ways.

Lightsaber-Customization-menu-options-in-Jedi-Survivor.jpg

Good god the customization is here too, you have access to every piece of your light saber, now you get a gun, you see different outfits etc.

Jedi survivor is a refined game, all of the cool stuff in Pyloon’s Saloon keeps you distracted

starwarsjedi_survivor-2023_06_05-14_11_36_2671efd7-f19a-4d00-b5f8-86fbdfe871f6.jpg

A hub that is an important factor in the game, Pyloons Saloon is a Catina with a great atmosphere and continues to offer shops, games etc. certainly a top 5 location just a cool place a lot of detail and a lot to see.

4129861-star-wars-jedi-survivior-fast-travel-guide-.jpg

You have the option to fast travel almost anywhere with meditation spots around the maps.

dagan-gera-boss-fight-guide-star-wars-jedi-survivor.jpg

The chest match between Cal and Dagan who is a former Jedi knight from the high republic era and was dusted off to be the bad guy in Jedi Survivor.

the-archive-jedha-star-wars-jedi-survivor.jpg

Facing jedi temples is great of course hardly seen in the movies these locations on various jedi home worlds get attention and shows us Cal's connection to ancient jedi and the force.

The reality with Star Wars games now is people aren’t happy and understandable with Battlefront’s recent mishaps.

The awe of discovering basically a Jedi homeworld was memorable, and there's a little bit of horror to killing all these enemies they throw at you. I could see Star Wars outlaws falling short in that regard because being bigger doesn’t necessarily mean it will be better.

Clearly a lot of time was put into Jedi Survivor and the only reason it isn’t being talked about is because of the name, it’s maps not holding a candle to elder scrolls or TOTK.

LOGO_400px.jpg

What did GAF think of Jedi Survivor?

RCU005

I loved Jedi Fallen Order. I haven't played Jedi Survivor even though I already bought it, but I expect this game to be an improvement over the first one. Hopefully nothing drastically changed, but they just improved upon it.

It's good to hear good things about this one.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Almost too big for its own good, but just skidded by. I find Fallen Order infinitely more replayable due to its length. Still had a good time though.

And the fast travel system still sucks ass.

Valt7786

I loved it. Only had one stupid minor dumbass issue with it being how he held the lightsaber in the crossguard stance. Looked goofy as fuck when it coulda looked cool as fuck!

I was pleasantly surprised with the first game, though I did have to mod in the Mando and a voice modifier as I couldn't see that guy as anything other than the kid from Shameless. Was super interested in the sequel, but all the PC issues I read about kept me away from it, even with some pretty aggressive sales i've been seeing for it.

Did they ever fix the PC version?

Topher

Gold Member
Looked like crap on PS5, but I still got the plat. Enjoyed it overall.

They need to fire whoever came up with that map system and start over.

Overall, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I did the first game. With that being said, there certainly were a few standout moments… multiple fun and interesting characters along with some captivating boss encounters. It’s ultimately unfortunate that the story fell so flat, that the absurd and meaningless betrayal rounded out the campaign. Add to that the constant gaggles of enemies spamming unblockable attacks and how unviable most of various stances were on the harder difficulties. Or to mention weird half baked game systems i.e. gardening or the massive empty environments. Even the map was objectively bad compared to the original. There certainly was something to enjoy but as a video game, as a complete experience, the simpler more focused original game is for me a better all round experience.

Fbh

It's the main game I'm playing right now.
I'm enjoying it but I'm not blown away by it.

+ I enjoy the bigger levels and exploration is quite fun. Side content is limited but meaningful
+ Traversal is still great, it's nice having something a bit more complex in this time when most AAA games use the braindead Uncharted platforming that requieres little to no player input or timing
+ The new combat options are nice, I like the sword and pistol combo, both as a concept but also during gameplay
- The combat still doesn't feel that satisfying, the human enemies are fun but the larger enemies just feel like you are hitting them with a baseball bat, and doing the parries to deplete their stamina meter only to have them be stunned for 2 seconds and recover sucks, also some enemies just spam unblockable attacks which is lame (fuck that big frog in particular).
- While it's in a much better state than at launch, it's still a bit of a technical mess on Ps5 lots of bugs and glitches.
- Customization is still lame. It's a step up from the ponchos of the first one, but a bunch ugly and boring jackets and 1000 slightly different hilts for your lightsaber which you won't really see during normal gameplay doesn't make finding the hidden chests all that more exciting.

Topher

Gold Member
Overall, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I did the first game. With that being said, there certainly were a few standout moments… multiple fun and interesting characters along with some captivating boss encounters. It’s ultimately unfortunate that the story fell so flat, that the absurd and meaningless betrayal rounded out the campaign. Add to that the constant gaggles of enemies spamming unblockable attacks and how unviable most of various stances were on the harder difficulties. Or to mention weird half baked game systems i.e. gardening or the massive empty environments. Even the map was objectively bad compared to the original. There certainly was something to enjoy but as a video game, as a complete experience, the simpler more focused original game is for me a better all round experience.

I know it has been a while for this game, but going to use spoiler tags anyway.

The betrayal was incredibly contrived, imo. And a waste. They created a really good character that would have been better utilized in a sequel, perhaps even as a playable character. Just some short-sightedness in exchange for a cheap shock moment that didn't really hit home like I think they wanted it to. And it is as if the writers even acknowledged this with the weirdness of the daughter somehow suddenly ok with how things turned out. Strange turn of events.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's ok, but I didn't like the combat. It wasn't refined enough, fighting guys was often a chore, especially late in the game. I enjoyed the exploration (it reminded me of the nu-Tomb Raider games) but ultimately you're just getting a bunch of junk, like who cares about customizing your lightsaber handle and shit.

How’s the performance and image quality on PS5 now?
garbage

Last edited:

Ozzie666

It was worth waiting for the patches. But I enjoyed the game and the lore. It would be awesome to see some of these characters in movies and tv shows.
I hope they make a third and tie it all in nicely to the lore somehow. It's basically a 3D Metroidvania the way it's set up.

Top Bottom