• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 New Hero Missions Reportedly Cancelled

Draugoth

Gold Member
2c02386d6c03e066da3e923fcc85735c.jpg

The PvE campaign was pitched as the sequel’s big pillar, now ex-devs tell Kotaku its future is unclear

So, has development on the story missions halted? One source said Activision Blizzard wanted the first batch of story missions to do “serious numbers” to justify completing the campaign. Another said those missions “did not do well at all,” both financially or in terms of player sentiment.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Aren't all blizzards game multiplayer?
I guess it would make sense that the studio struggles with single player content. Maybe they should sub contract the single player for overwatch.

While I still enjoy the game, it's surprising just how much of a fuckup they've had with damn near everything transitioning into OW2. What the hell happened to all those plans?

DrFigs

Didn’t the pve stuff get cancelled over a year ago?

I don’t think this is news.
Kind of, they had a lot of plans about PVE that are not in the game. But there are barebone PVE missions. last i checked they were paywalled though.

Ribi

Not shocking considering BLizzard fired all those talented "problematic" devs and just kept a blue-haird skeletal crew that are barely keeping the game alive. Its a dead game anyway.

Lmao

ZeAA5PI.png
Makes a shit ton of money tho and 20k isnt dead as much as people think. That's the daily peak at one time. The game is still pulling hundreds of thousands of players daily across platforms.

Also fuck blizzard

>kneecap PVE content
>shit it out unceremoniously
>"WTF why are people not playing our PVE content?!"

Blizzard should be cancelled. Absolute trainwreck of a developer

Sethbacca

They should have just kept Overwatch up and running and skipped the 2 since they've not fulfilled a single part of the promise of the "sequel". Absolute waste of time.

Dutchy

I was super excited for the pve stuff. The earlier Overwatch cinematics are among the best in the industry. They had pure gold in their hands.

First 'pve' thing I experienced in Overwatch 2 was a short voice-over followed by the awesome objective of ''capture 2 zones and kill a robot''

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Pve missions were mildly entertaining, but it would be a joke to try and play them now. Nobody is queuing for them and especially not on different difficulty levels which fragments it more.

I don’t feel super ripped off as it came with a battlepass for season 6 I was going to buy anyway, but it was easy to see after playing them a time or two that they would die the first month in.

MiguelItUp

What a mess, it's hard to tell if they even care about the IP considering how it's been treated, lol.

I'm still shocked people actively play it, personally. I remember enjoying it for a week or 2 when OW launched and then just dropped it. Hard. I wish a Team Fortress sequel was on the books, or something that feels more like TF.

bumpkin

I didn’t hate the story missions even though they all felt same-ey. They gave me a respite from being smoked in PvP while still enjoying playing a fast, fun competent shooter with a cool world and cast.

What they should have done was taken the approach Riot did with LOL and contracted other studios to do side games for the pillar characters. Then maybe used players’ Battle.net accounts to reward them in OW2 for playing the side games.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I know, Blizzard is dead now. and what made Blizzard Blizzard will never return.
It’s a moment in time. All good things come to an end.

Even FrostGiants new RTS StormGate is pretty damn cheeks lol. Even when you take the “good old guys” from Blizzard to make something new it’s “meh.”

I’m curious what the game from DreamHaven, Mike Morhaimes new company, will put out. That’s really the last hope that a return to form could occur.

Otherwise I’ll just enjoy moments of good sprinkled in like a decent WoW expansion or D4 season.

Mortisfacio

Not shocking considering BLizzard fired all those talented "problematic" devs and just kept a blue-haird skeletal crew that are barely keeping the game alive. Its a dead game anyway.

Lmao

ZeAA5PI.png

While I agree with the general premise, Steam is a terrible metric for how popular on unpopular a Blizzard game is. PC Blizzard players primarily use Battle.net

nikos

Lmao

ZeAA5PI.png

Steam isn't the main platform for the game, Battle.net is.

The game currently averages 6.2 MILLION player per day, with 23 million in the last 30 days.

DeAd GaEm though.

nikos

As someone who plays this pretty much every day, more lore and story stuff would be cool but it's not necessary.

There's a dev update in 30 minutues. Kotaku publishing a rumor immediately beforehand is dumb.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Steam isn't the main platform for the game, Battle.net is.

The game currently averages 6.2 MILLION player per day, with 23 million in the last 30 days.

DeAd GaEm though.

That site isnt legit. There is no actual tracking for Battle.net.

Solidus_T

My brother bought a physical copy of Overwatch 1 in 2016. It's crazy to think that it just doesn't even work nowadays.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Timestamped. Game is on track to reach 100 million players next month. Far from dead.

I dont think you know what active players means and total players my guy lmao. Overwatch was huge in its prime. Ofc its player base is huge, but is its curent base big? No. Maybe not 20k, but I doubt it even passes 100k.

nikos

I dont think you know what active players means and total players my guy lmao. Overwatch was huge in its prime. Ofc its player base is huge, but is its curent base big? No. Maybe not 20k, but I doubt it even passes 100k.

Calling it a dead game is stupid no matter which way you look at it, even if it had 20k players.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Calling it a dead game is stupid no matter which way you look at it, even if it had 20k players.

Dead game language doesnt mean 0 players. It just means a game of its popularity and status has a very low player base compared to what it should normally have. That's all.

Nydius

I've never seen a new property squander its potential so badly as Overwatch has. From 2016 to late 2018/early 2019 the game was amazing. It had its issues (especially since Blizzard has never been great at PVP balance [repressing bad memories of WoW Arena PVP]) but it felt fun, legitimately fresh, and had a lot of really interesting lore and characterization dropping regularly.

It really feels like everything went to crap when they decided to laser focus on Overwatch League. Once OWL became a major focus, content drops slowed to a crawl until they stopped all together between OW and OW2. Meanwhile, balance patches either came fast and furious completely upending the game multiple times in a season, or they'd slow to a crawl and let balance problems linger unaddressed for months.

I don't know what's happened at Blizzard (beyond all the SA lawsuits and whatnot) but they've become the masters of driving their established properties into the ground.

Last edited:

Toons

Lmao

ZeAA5PI.png

Dude a lot of those folks had legitimate sexual harassment accusatiosn against them, if the internal review marked those as legit they absolutely should've been fired and its ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Individuals like that shouldn't be protected snd their actions covered up, thats just as bad.

Toons

As someone who plays this pretty much every day, more lore and story stuff would be cool but it's not necessary.

There's a dev update in 30 minutues. Kotaku publishing a rumor immediately beforehand is dumb.

Kotaku being kotaku. Sigh....

Anyways this is pretty much the only game I regularly play these days. Still love it, still very easy to find matches.

Top Bottom