• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.T. and the wonderful imagination of Guillermo del Toro [Spoilers and nope!].

Ethelwulf

After playing and finishing P.T., I can also say that this is probably one of the scariest games I've ever played. The setting and simplicity, yet the complexity of the looping idea is truly remarkable. I'm sure Kojima's creativity has a lot to do with this but in my opinion, Guillermo del Toro needs more recognition. He is a master of terror and produced, wrote and directed one of my favorite movies ever: The Pan's Labyrinth. Ha was also the executive producer of the recent movie Mama, which I didn't like it too much, but it has a scene that reminded me a lot of P.T. Watch it for your self:

a1ZZj7R_460sa_v1.gif

Don't you guys think it looks extremely similar to this?

ibrkPhVy7R2I7k.gif

Only thing I'm saying is that he deserves more recognition as he has a truly magical imagination. He manipulates the type of fear that hunts you in your dreams. In a way, thats why P.T. was so successful. It wonderfully recreates one of the most common phenomena of human nature, nightmares. You can't escape them. They'll hunt you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have a feeling that PT was likely a reworking of some of the ideas from his cancelled game inSane. I can't wait to see the creature designs from Silent Hills with him on board.

Piers

That is cool. but "creepy twitchy ghost who rushes you as if skipping through time" isn't really new.

Agree'd, and the loop wherein she first appears standing there reminded me of that BBC mockumentry:
ghostwatch-uni-film_7674.jpg

Still a really fresh experience, in terms of gaming horror imo

Cmagus

It would be great if they took this positive feedback and made a seperate game out of this. I can't see a Silent Hill game like this in FPS and honestly this could be cool on its own.

I'd also like to see some sort of VR support because that would be insane and pretty damn scary.

Given some of the theories floating around due to that translated Swedish radio broadcast in the game hinting at aliens being real and among us, I would love to see del Toro bring some of his ideas from the now-canned At the Mountains of Madness fully into the Silent Hill universe. Other-dimension eldrtich horror is something I think fits well with the series.

Moofers

I was already dragging my feet on playing P.T. (Downloaded it on day one) but that rush gif set me back another 2 weeks or so. That shit is one of my biggest weaknesses. I don't know how if I can even play the full version when it hits.

I was already dragging my feet on playing P.T. (Downloaded it on day one) but that rush gif set me back another 2 weeks or so. That shit is one of my biggest weaknesses. I don't know how if I can even play the full version when it hits.

So, as much as I hope that elements of what we experienced with P.T. make it into the final game, it's stated that it has no actual connection to the final game; though that could just mean in terms of narrative, or could be a red herring completely.

Guillermo del Toro needs more recognition.
a1ZZj7R_460sa_v1.gif

Only thing I'm saying is that he deserves more recognition as he has a truly magical imagination.

you know that this wasn't his creation, someone else imagined this and then del toro paid them to buy the idea. You can still see the original mama by Andy and Barbara Muschietti on youtube.
I'd rather konami hired the original silent hill creature designer.

I do really like unsettling nature of P.T, and I hope it makes it into the final version. Preferably I would enjoy a very minor story, but everything is clouded with symbolism and deeper meanings left everywhere that we can figure out ourselves. You know, like a Silent Hill game... Where most of what we see and experience is really a reflection of the subconscious.

Cowlick

Banned
Given some of the theories floating around due to that translated Swedish radio broadcast in the game hinting at aliens being real and among us, I would love to see del Toro bring some of his ideas from the now-canned At the Mountains of Madness fully into the Silent Hill universe. Other-dimension eldrtich horror is something I think fits well with the series.
Legit shook: the UFO endings were canon all along.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The final game will be a space opera.

I actually hope that the final game isn't like PT in that it's full of weird triggers and mysteries. I like the original Silent Hill games, so I'm thinking something that's a mix with something completely new would be best.

Dascu

As mentioned, Mama was not by del Toro and we have no idea if he had anything to do with P.T. at all.

I hope to see some cool monster designs from him. Maybe something with feathers. Fleshy or leathery has been done to death already.

The Goat

I have played and completed this so many times now, I'm numb. One of those, "I wish I could play it again, for the first time", things. They do explicitly state that this demo is not representative of the final product. I have a feeling what we'll get, is more akin to modern Silent Hills.

As for Del Toro's involvement, I'd really like to know to what extent he is / was involved. I do like a few of his movies, so I have high hopes.

I really want Silent Hills to be a complete reboot of the Silent Hill franchise the main series went completely crazy and off hilt and nobody had any direction at all. I kinda want the aliens/edrich creatures and shit, and that they are just fucking with you the whole time. I can think of a few films of the top of my head which do that "The Banshee Chronicles", "The Fourth Kind" there are others too. If they don't do it and return to the Silent Hill style then all is lost I feel, if any franchise needs a reboot and a new direction its Silent Hill.

You can see Del Toro's influence in a lot of how it's built.

It works well enough that I'm attempting to plan a recorded session with people who haven't played through it and am considering a projector as the screen over a 55" HDTV.

Hopefully nobody craps themselves.

theWB27

Mama was good....but damn the ending killed everything before it. Lets hope the real game doesn't falter as badly as Mama did.

Also....PT is legit.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
you know that this wasn't his creation, someone else imagined this and then del toro paid them to buy the idea. You can still see the original mama by Andy and Barbara Muschietti on youtube.
Andy and Barbara Muschietti made the film, too. Del Toro produced it for them.

UrbanRats

DelToro's best film is still Cronos.
Pan's Labyrynth is good too, though.

All the other i've seen of his ranged from decent to bad.

And yeah, i doubt he had much to do with PT, but it's impossible for me to tell.
PT uses some pretty well trodden horror tropes, but uses them masterfully, which is why i'm inclined to think that it was probably largely merit of the whole design team.

Gotta say tho, Hellboy 2 has one great line...
"i'm a tumor!"

sol_bad

I'd rather konami hired the original silent hill creature designer.

It's on the blu Ray disc too, very nice single shot scene.
Also Del Toro "pay to buy the idea".
The director of the film Mama Andrés Muschietti also directed the short film Mama. Del Toro helped him get his vision on the big screen.

eso76

Like others have said, I really like del Toro's creature design, and I'm sure a lot of his ideas for insane were recycled for Silent Hills, but I'm not sure he has anything to do with the demo. I would really like to know more about the story behind this collaboration. TGS, hopefully

atr0cious

I really liked Mama, and with Mimic, The Devil's Backbone, and even Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, I have yet to be disappointed in del Toro's horror work. I really hope he brings some Mountains inspiration into this. The infamous Pan's Labryrinth scene could be a puzzle in itself.

LordOfChaos

P.T was amazing, I loved every bit of it.
I said, LOOK behind you...The realization you get when the "radio" was talking to you in present time
...So freaking good.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I do really like unsettling nature of P.T, and I hope it makes it into the final version. Preferably I would enjoy a very minor story, but everything is clouded with symbolism and deeper meanings left everywhere that we can figure out ourselves. You know, like a Silent Hill game... Where most of what we see and experience is really a reflection of the subconscious.
So long as it isn't a run and hide game. Really don't like those.

P.T. freaked me the fuck out with the VSS on my Sony Golds. While I loved the idea of it, I realized it was too much for me ha. I couldn't take a whole game of that stuff. I love horror movies but there is something different about being active in the story versus a passive observer. Apparently if you give me the choice to go in the creepy bathroom with a baby crying, I am not going to do it just like in real life. ha.

But GDT is awesome and the whole team of P.T. should be applauded. Even if they guaranteed I will not buy any SH game that resembles it now.

Batzi

Banned
I don't think Guillermo was involved in the development of P.T. He's most probably co-writing the story of Silent Hills. And we still don't know if Silent Hills is going to be "A Hideo Kojima Game" or not.

Harlock

I wonder how the real devs of the P.T. are feeling when they see all the credit going to kojima and del toro.

JJD

I have a feeling that PT was likely a reworking of some of the ideas from his cancelled game inSane. I can't wait to see the creature designs from Silent Hills with him on board.

I hope he is involved enough to help with creature design but frankly I doubt it.

How many projects Del Toro can juggle at once? Dude is involved with 2 or 3 movies, a TV series and a lot of other stuff.

kiri

Agree'd, and the loop wherein she first appears standing there reminded me of that BBC mockumentry:
ghostwatch-uni-film_7674.jpg

Still a really fresh experience, in terms of gaming horror imo

Ghostwatch shout out! My man!!

Bought that on DVD the very first day it was released. Bit hokey nowadays but still has some fantastic moments, for example, when Mr. Pipes is hiding in the crowd.

What is this?
Ghostwatch, a 1992 TV drama that utilised real TV presenters to lull viewers into a false sense of security. Watching this when I was 7 years old was an eye-opening experience, let me tell you!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHVqzRyaByM

Yes. YES. YESSSSSS!

Mama was an ok film, got kinda weird towards the end

Mama's first two acts were well-acted, suspenseful, and shocking, it's last act was nonsensical, overwrought, and burdened with a much too visible "creature" done in bad CG.

It's amazing how far the quality drops over the span of that film.

Top Bottom