• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 2, 2015

Hasney

It was probably just the basic model and I was mistaken.

Wonder what caused the MK8 bump then? Perhaps it was on sale?

The Rakuten code was used to promote MK8 as £30.65 after discount, so maybe that.

Plus the fact it was a stupidly slow week in general probably helped.

Hasney

The Rakuten code? What, the £5 off any orders over £10? It's working again?

That's probably it though.

JANOFFER10 to get £10 off a spend of £40 or more apparently. Says found 5 days ago.

EDIT: I think that The Crew number in the news commentary was legit, so everything below 6 on the combined chart sold less than 7,940 copies.

Hasney

Ugh; I hope the Ubisoft Open World Formula™ doesn't permeate every other game this gen.

Eh, it had to drop to less than half price to slightly break into the top 10 across 5 formats. I don't Sony/MS are putting too much stock in the fact that it's number 6 on one of the slowest weeks of the year.

If the PS4 version outsells Driveclub or the XB1/360 version outsells FH2, I'd be astounded.

It likely won't outsell DC, but Horizon 2 is possible.

It's not like Horizon 2 has sold all that well compared to DC and I'd be surprised if TC doesn't eventually sell more.v

Hasney

It likely won't outsell DC, but Horizon 2 is possible.

It's not like Horizon 2 has sold all that well compared to DC and I'd be surprised if TC doesn't eventually sell more.v

Well even now, with the release head start that FH2 had, it's The Crew on XB1 is only a few chart positions above it (discounting the 360 versions of both since they're not charted) and FH2 is still hard to find for under £30. Ubi did the best they could with it by slashing the prices, but I don't think anyone is going to be looking at it as a source of inspiration if they want to generate revenue.

Dynoro

Driveclub took an arrow to the knee.
Is it no longer bundled
in the UK?

It's 20quid on PSN store which probably swayed sales a bit to digital. I know me and my mates jumped in due to the price change. I think it has dropped out of a few bundles too.

For some reason I thought DriveClub was solely in the charts due to bundles. I'm glad we debunked that.

But it was still in a bundle last week:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-driveclub-299-tesco-online-2120417

And it is severely discounted.

Driveclub is not a success by any normal measure. It has been forced onto the market by price cuts and bundling by Sony. Maybe if it had released in its current form with the free DLC in the original package they wouldn't have needed to incentivise it so much, but that isn't what happened.

Pezus

Driveclub is not a success by any normal measure. It has been forced onto the market by price cuts and bundling by Sony. Maybe if it had released in its current form with the free DLC in the original package they wouldn't have needed to incentivise it so much, but that isn't what happened.

Then I guess Evolution Studio's measure is not normal. It has done quite well in Europe and in digital charts as well.

Hasney

Then I guess Evolution Studio's measure is not normal. It has done quite well in Europe and in digital charts as well.

I would like to know the impact the original digital discount had to be honest. I would say that without that, the way it's charted wouldn't be counted as a great retail performance as an individual title. But like I said last week, the aggressive bundling and pricing got it in a lot of peoples hands, so a Driveclub 2 or maybe even the DLC will benefit from that approach that saved DC retail in the UK.

I've not followed the EU charts that much, where else has it done well? I remember Germany showing that NFS: Most Wanted (2012) outsold Driveclub in Germany throughout 2014.

No they aren't they have lowered expectations severely because of the launch fuck up. There is a massive difference between selling a full priced game for a few months and keeping it at the top of the charts and requiring bundles and price cuts to stay at the top of the charts.

BokehKing

Banned
So many unwanted copies of DriveClub have been traded in, according to the staff at my local stores - Sony shovelled so many copies out there. Couldn't get rid of my bundled copy quick enough.
Don't people have to prove credentials before saying stuff like this?

c0de

For some reason I thought DriveClub was solely in the charts due to bundles. I'm glad we debunked that.

In which way is this now debunked? Don't you think bundles at least helped?
And this means it was only your fault to think that it was in charts only due to bundles but bundling helped sales a lot, one might guess.

Hasney

I think there's really only 2 certain things you can draw from Driveclubs chart performance:

• Consumers did not see full-price value in the title at launch compared to other releases
  • Bundles and price drops saved the retail performance

The aggressiveness of those moves by Sony lead me to believe the initial digital performance wasn't making up for the lost ground at retail, but a botched launch could have hindered both of those if word spread.

c0de

I think there's really only 2 certain things you can draw from Driveclubs chart performance:

• Consumers did not see full-price value in the title at launch compared to other releases
  • Bundles and price drops saved the retail performance

The aggressiveness of those moves by Sony lead me to believe the initial digital performance wasn't making up for the lost ground at retail, but a botched launch could have hindered both of those if word spread.

I think you are quite right with this but there are others that think that patches were the main reason. I don' doubt it didn't help to add the weather patch and to improve the game further but this won't lead to such a massive increase in sales.

Pezus

In which way is this now debunked? Don't you think bundles at least helped?
And this means it was only your fault to think that it was in charts only due to bundles but bundling helped sales a lot, one might guess.

@bold: Of course I do...Should be obvious by now though that it can chart on its own, without hard bundling everywhere.

That's what people kept saying in the last few weeks when DC was constantly near the top of the charts, that it wouldn't even be in the charts without the bundle and what some were saying was that almost all PS4's came with DC.

Top Bottom