• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Noaloha

Watched the first 8 parts of the Quill playthrough today. Game's looking really solid. Those pre-war years of the game seem like they ramp in a deliciously tense fashion.

And, at the risk of misguided levity, Hearts Of Iron IV |OT| Pimp My Reich

Watched the first 8 parts of the Quill playthrough today. Game's looking really solid. Those pre-war years of the game seem like they ramp in a deliciously tense fashion.

If you want to see it go wrong watch BenjaminMagnus as Germany. France doesn't back down over Rhineland, Germany goes to war in q1 1936 and France has an instant civil war + fails to man the Maginot line. He just walks to the vps uncontested lol.

Mindlog

I hope it's nothing major, but then I remember some of our own analysis on 'disappointing' Total War sales for the games preceding Warhammer. Some games don't sell on a scale considered 'sucessful' to others and it can confuse the uninitiated.

On a related note BurkeBlack (who is actually a stretegy game vet, but for entertainment purposes...) is streaming HoI IV on rookie with max speed. The results have been pretty entertaining.

Fitz

fhPEX6D.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you want to see it go wrong watch BenjaminMagnus as Germany. France doesn't back down over Rhineland, Germany goes to war in q1 1936 and France has an instant civil war + fails to man the Maginot line. He just walks to the vps uncontested lol.

Much hilarity on that one.

Uzzy

Watching some of Arumba's play of Hearts of Iron 4, and he's referring to Rommel as 'that guy.' Such fun.

I'm also watching BenjaminMagnus play, and the first thing he does is switch to NATO symbols. I'm in love already.

Noaloha

Having a brief idle chat with someone who works at Paradox today and I commented that I'm sure it's pretty busy there at the moment coming off of the Stellaris release and plunging headlong into the HOI4 release. They chuckled agreeingly and reminded me that monday is also a 'red day' in Sweden, ie. a national holiday. Ballsy release choice. I'm sure they'll staff accordingly, but the look on his face when he mentioned it did make me laugh.

I'm assuming there is going to be no preload? Game is probably small data wise and it's not really needed.

First game I'm thinking France. However, I also want to play Poland and Japan.

Kinda funny but I hardly see anyone streaming the game really fuck up majorly with large countres. Italy wiping the floor with British and French AI etc. Even players who had minimal experience with hoi3.

Looking forward to complaining endlessly about minutae on release. Maybe I'll mod it myself.

Current change list:

- Make it so you can't march armies across the Sahara and launch massive assaults up east Africa.
- Change Fascist Australia to something, anything other than The Empire of the Platypus.

Kabouter

Kinda funny but I hardly see anyone streaming the game really fuck up majorly with large countres. Italy wiping the floor with British and French AI etc. Even players who had minimal experience with hoi3.

Looking forward to complaining endlessly about minutae on release. Maybe I'll mod it myself.

Current change list:

- Make it so you can't march armies across the Sahara and launch massive assaults up east Africa.
- Change Fascist Australia to something, anything other than The Empire of the Platypus.

Empire of the Dingo?
Also, wasn't there that Paradox stream where they got completely destroyed as the USSR?

Empire of the Dingo?
Also, wasn't there that Paradox stream where they got completely destroyed as the USSR?

They forgot to man a section of the front and even after noticing that Germany had been breaking through Lithuania for the last couple of months uncontested, didn't pause the game coz they were just fucking around on the stream.

Xando

They invaded scandinavia with their big army then got invaded by the germans but only noticed when the germans were like 2 provinces from moscow

Hoping for a uncut mod being available tomorrow or the day after for my peasant german version

They invaded scandinavia with their big army then got invaded by the germans but only noticed when the germans were like 2 provinces from moscow

Hoping for a uncut mod being available tomorrow or the day after for my peasant german version

Won't it get removed from the workshop?

Uzzy

I hope that Paradox announce their Sabaton music packs soon, and how much we're getting. If the answer is less than 'all of their WW2 songs' then Paradox have failed as a developer.

Kabouter

How different is the German version from the other versions?

Xando

How different is the German version from the other versions?

From the Paradox FAQ:

- What exactly is meant with the German version?
- The German version lacks a certain DLC component which results in the following:
1) a bunch of prominent nazis is displayed as dark silhouettes instead of a colored portrait.
2) some speeches in events are different
3) SS generals have no skulls on their caps
4) event pictures with hitler and stuff from point 1 are different

Not that bad but i'd rather have the complete version.

Hearts of Iron back catalogue is on sale at GOG.. Are any of the games worth buying or should I just go for IV? Possibly II? Or Darkest Hour? Which is better? :)

Hearts of Iron back catalogue is on sale at GOG.. Are any of the games worth buying or should I just go for IV? Possibly II? Or Darkest Hour? Which is better? :)

Never played 1 or 2.

DH get a lot of love from the community. 3 is the most complicated. 4 is in need of some patching to fix late game slowdown and some glaring balance issues, there's no need to rush straight into that if you're happy waiting a few weeks or months. If you're a total newcomer though, 4 is the least daunting.

Never played 1 or 2.

DH get a lot of love from the community. 3 is the most complicated. 4 is in need of some patching to fix late game slowdown and some glaring balance issues, there's no need to rush straight into that if you're happy waiting a few weeks or months. If you're a total newcomer though, 4 is the least daunting.

I used to play Europe Universalis 2 (and totally suck at it) and enjoy some Europa Universalis III (and suck at it but less so). I'll probably get DH I think.. I wonder if I should wait for the Steam sale for a possibly lower regional price though..

Purkake4

Banned
Really liking the new CK2 developer diaries, looks like the next DLC will add a lot of flavor, which I really love in CK2. The last diary is about more specific injuries.

Hopefully instead of messing up the AI, you get to have even more cool events and unique characters this time.

CzarTim

Really liking the new CK2 developer diaries, looks like the next DLC will add a lot of flavor, which I really love in CK2. The last diary is about more specific injuries.

Hopefully instead of messing up the AI, you get to have even more cool events and unique characters this time.

Yeah looks real good.

I'm doing a CKII game right now as Tunis. Have a ruler who is a genius, litterally figured out the Earth revolves around the Sun even though it pissed off everyone.

So naturally his first son ended up an Imbecile and his second son Slow.

edit: Just noticed his third son is Slow too.

Purkake4

Banned
Yeah looks real good.

I'm doing a CKII game right now as Tunis. Have a ruler who is a genius, litterally figured out the Earth revolves around the Sun even though it pissed off everyone.

So naturally his first son ended up an Imbecile and his second son Slow.

edit: Just noticed his third son is Slow too.
It feels like CK2 is the chill out series while EUIV is evolving into a tough as nails strategy game. I like the differentiation.

HOI4 is a division building simulator and Vici2 is a supply side capitalism simulator.

It feels like CK2 is the chill out series while EUIV is evolving into a tough as nails strategy game. I like the differentiation.

HOI4 is a division building simulator and Vici2 is a supply side capitalism simulator.

Vicky 2 is an experiment in how many simulation and UI elements you can add to a game before players begin to go mad attempting to wrestle with them.

The answer is less than Vicky 2 has

ag-my001

I've been away from CK2 since before Horse Lords came out. I now see that they've introduced a Threat meter and Defensive Pacts into the patch, DLC or not. If Alliances now have to be explicitly negotiated, does this mean the Karling war-blob is gone, or just that they won't all attack you automatically together (defend together, yes).

Uzzy

A new EU4 expansion has been announced today, 'Rights of Man'

This expansion to Paradox Development Studio’s best-selling historical strategy game introduces a number of small changes that add up to a deeper and more dynamic experience. Near the top of this list is the Great Power mechanic, where the most developed nations have access to new diplomatic options to bully or entice weaker neighbors. Keep that development going, or lose the powers you paid a high price for.

Rights of Man also adds a little more character to your monarchs, as they acquire traits that will give bonuses (or penalties) to your country, and affect how rival nations approach you. Beware the conqueror next door, but be nice to the generous king across the river - he may have some gold to spare in your time of need.

Other features coming in Rights of Man include:

- New goals for Coptic and Fetishist religions
- Greater control over adopting new cultures in your empire
- Leader Traits giving battle hardened commanders added prowess
- More detailed military instructions for Subject Nations
- Revolutionary Republics now have Factions to balance
- Ottoman Empire gets new Harem Politics events and options
- AND MUCH MUCH MORE

great_powers_02.jpg
ruler_personalities_01.jpg

Top Bottom