• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Maybe slightly off-topic, but have anybody some suggestions to other strategy-games? I really like Civ (2 and 4) and the Paradox-games, although i am a bit tired of them lately. Would love something slow-paced like Colonization or Imperialism, but not sure those games get made anymore. Not interested in standard rts-games (Starcraft, Age of Empires etc), i feel i have played them enough. So, preferably an empire-building game focused on the macro-level (like EU or CK2), but with different mechanics and preferably setting. Has anything been released the last few years that i should check out?

Llyranor

I've been playing some Victoria 2 lately, coop as the UK with a buddy (shared nation). I feel like this works very well, because it allows us to learn various systems of the game without being overwhelmed, and the UK is a great nation to play as given its global presence (global presence means global conflicts!)

The early parts of the game was mostly spreading our influence. Our colonization efforts started with increasing the landmass of Canada. However, the US also seemed to have an interest in Alberta, and this eventually led to a war where we kicked the Americans out of Canada. Realizing that the US needed to know its place, we proceeded to ally with Mexico and to strengthen its industry, as well as Colombia (to threaten the southern border of the US-allied USCA, and for the eventual Panama canal).

Meanwhile in Europe, our influence (already in Greece) spread to Sweden and the Netherlands, as well as the few still independant German states that both the Northern German Federation and Austria are vying for attention. We are also buttering up to Egypt.

Things go sour fast as the Ottoman decide they want a piece of Egypt. Allied with them, of course, is Russia. Thus begins the first global-scale war of the game. The two major fronts are in India (where Russia invades on a large scale), and Egypt (where's it's mainly Ottoman vs a desperate outnumbered UK defense, while we're shuffling over new units from Europe, and eventually India when we finally fend off the Russians). Meanwhile, Russian Alaska invades British Colombia, so we have to divert some troops to fight in Canada as well.

Fortunately, our diplomacy up to now has been on point, so our allies join the fight. Sweden invading Russia from the NW (or at least tying up a good number of their units before getting beaten up), and the Netherlands help invading and distracting the Ottomans. Unfortunately, the US takes this opportunity to invade Mexico, but we are so tied up that we cannot do anything. Sorry Mexico! Eventually, years later, both sides are exhausted, drained of manpower. Neither can gain a decisive victory, and so we resign ourselves to sign a status-quo peace.

Years of unsettling peace ensue. Learning from the previous war, we increase our diplomatic ties with Persia and Afghanistan to create a greater buffer btw India and Russia. Having finally the technology, we build the Suez canal. We also build the Panama canal, but not before having our embassy banned and our reputation in Colombia tarnished by the French and the US. We only succeed in building the canal because the two powers were too busy being at each other's throat to be able to do anything against my return to power there.

But all is not well. There is a movement of Polish independence in Russia, gaining enough momentum to become a world crisis. Giving Poland its own country is noble enough, but the main point is cutting Russia down to size, so we support the Polish cause. To our dismay, France supports the Russians. The Northern German Federation has the wisdom to side with us, which leds its rival Austria immediately towards the other side. Only Belgium remains neutral, but we lure it to our cause by promising to humiliate Russia. Of course, while this happens, the US invades Mexico AGAIN!

And so, the next large-scale war is set, though this time the stage will be mostly set in mainland Europe....

Purkake4

Banned
I've been playing some Victoria 2 lately, coop as the UK with a buddy (shared nation). I feel like this works very well, because it allows us to learn various systems of the game without being overwhelmed, and the UK is a great nation to play as given its global presence (global presence means global conflicts!)
Shared nation is one of the best little paradox secret bug/feature things. Works in EU4 at least as well.

Purkake4

Banned
Not only that...

tlD4JHJ.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So, today its 500 years since the battle of Marj Dabiq north of Aleppo, where the ottomans beat the mameluks decisively and thus took control over Syria and the levant, before capturing Egypt proper the next year. I guess this is something we all have some good memories about in this thread, isnt it?

Fitz

CK2 DLC out today, not bought it just yet, but I'm super excited to test out the supposed performance improvements, my only real issue with the game is the mid-late game slowdown.

So, today its 500 years since the battle of Marj Dabiq north of Aleppo, where the ottomans beat the mameluks decisively and thus took control over Syria and the levant, before capturing Egypt proper the next year. I guess this is something we all have some good memories about in this thread, isnt it?

I have fond memories of forcing a PU and taking their entire territory in one go instead of many wars over long truce periods in EU

Uzzy

I'm sure Kabouter has some great memories of that day.

Kabouter

I'm sure Kabouter has some great memories of that day.

How so? I don't think I've ever played in that region even in our MP games. I've played Ming, Gelre (twice :X), England, Malacca, Pasai, Thirteen Colonies and I think that might be it? I'm not sure I've ever even been at war with Fitz!

Fitz

Sure they are, England becomes THE island nation, and Gelre is so isolationist that anyone would be hard pressed to find it even briefly after the game has started!

Kabouter

Sure they are, England becomes THE island nation, and Gelre is so isolationist that anyone would be hard pressed to find it even briefly after the game has started!

I think in the England game like 80% of my non-colonial land was continental! :D
As far as Gelre goes, touché :p

Llyranor

I really like how nicely Victoria 2 simulates the world stage in the late 19th century. Due to the network of alliances and global presence of all the Great Powers, it really seems like any little conflict that can't be resolved diplomatically will blow up on a massive global scale.

Purkake4

Banned
I really like how nicely Victoria 2 simulates the world stage in the late 19th century. Due to the network of alliances and global presence of all the Great Powers, it really seems like any little conflict that can't be resolved diplomatically will blow up on a massive global scale.
Yup, it's really great. I love the crisis mechanic, really elegant way to force international politics to not just be status quo. I wonder if they finished the new patch or is it still in beta?

In other news, it looks like everyone's loving Reaper's Due and there's no apocalyptic game-breaking bugs for once.

Uzzy

How so? I don't think I've ever played in that region even in our MP games. I've played Ming, Gelre (twice :X), England, Malacca, Pasai, Thirteen Colonies and I think that might be it? I'm not sure I've ever even been at war with Fitz!

Cause you're old. I was making an age joke. Now here I am explaining the joke.

Anyway, it's time to buy Reaper's Due. It's been too long since I've put some hours into CK2, that's for sure.

frontovik

Banned
After spending months playing EU IV, I find it difficult going back to CK II and learning the mechanics all over again. It just seems unfamiliar now, especially with regards to dynastic marriages and obtaining titles. I'm okay with vassal management though, ignore mayors and bishops, keep counts placated, and try to avoid having dukes as vassals.

Purkake4

Banned
After spending months playing EU IV, I find it difficult going back to CK II and learning the mechanics all over again. It just seems unfamiliar now, especially with regards to dynastic marriages and obtaining titles. I'm okay with vassal management though, ignore mayors and bishops, keep counts placated, and try to avoid having dukes as vassals.
Go watch some youtube tutorials, the new features are pretty great. Also burying your counts under dukes makes it much easier to handle them, as you only need to placate a limited number of direct vassals.

ag-my001

It's even easier if you don't purchase the Conclave expansion.

Is RD the first expansion to offer more stuff for previous dlc in the free patch?

Fitz

This new CK2 dlc sure is something interesting, feels like every game I've played so far my characters have either got cancer, or become literally immortal.

I had a guy get cancer, get cured of cancer, go nuts, proceed to do nothing at all remotely crazy, win Scotland for his wife (as one-county Connacht...), get cancer again, feel a load better after having a pile of bees thrown on him, but still ultimately die of cancer.

I like this expansion.

Purkake4

Banned
Why the fuck is there literal immortality in the game?

Like what
It's part of the supernatural stuff. You get it with a rare and super long-winded event that can go a bunch of different ways.

Also immortality just gives you +10 health, you can still die if you rack up - health or just get unlucky in combat or assassinated.

It's part of the supernatural stuff. You get it with a rare and super long-winded event that can go a bunch of different ways.

Also immortality just gives you +10 health, you can still die if you rack up - health or just get unlucky in combat or assassinated.

I'm more wondering why there is any supernatural stuff beyond the previous cthulhu-esque easter eggs.

Fitz

Yeah I don't like the immortality, at least I don't like that it's on/available by default, it completely messes with the game. I'm not sure how rare it's meant to be, but I've been turning supernatural events off since it showed up for me. I believe there's some kind of reincarnation as well, but I don't know how that works yet.

Aaron D.

Okay, so I'm getting back into CK2 as well thanks to RD DLC.

Feel like I'm relearning the basics as well as reacclimating to the more recent DLC I've little experience with, namely Conclave.

Already made a rookie mistake with my new Ironman save. I forgot to flip my default Gavelkind Succession law to Primogeniture early on. Now I'm looking at an elderly ruler who's about to lose hard-fought land titles as they get spread between my children when I pass.

Didn't realize how many hoops I had to jump through to switch Gavelkind to Primogeniture, what with changing minor laws (Crown Authority) beforehand. That vote went south before I realized there is a 10 year waiting period before I can bring it up again. Don't think my ruler will last that long. If I would have remembered that rule, I would have worked harder to butter up my Council and rig the vote.

Aaaanyway. Digging around online revealed that many think Elective Succession is even better than Primogeniture as it lets one pick the strongest pup in the litter to inherit all the land titles. The reasoning follows that as long as your Vassals are generally happy they'll always vote on your pick. This sounds like a decent option.

What do you guys think?

tl;dr: Primogeniture vs. Elective...GO!!!

Okay, so I'm getting back into CK2 as well thanks to RD DLC.

Feel like I'm relearning the basics as well as reacclimating to the more recent DLC I've little experience with, namely Conclave.

Already made a rookie mistake with my new Ironman save. I forgot to flip my default Gavelkind Succession law to Primogeniture early on. Now I'm looking at an elderly ruler who's about to lose hard-fought land titles as they get spread between my children when I pass.

Didn't realize how many hoops I had to jump through to switch Gavelkind to Primogeniture, what with changing minor laws (Crown Authority) beforehand. That vote went south before I realized there is a 10 year waiting period before I can bring it up again. Don't think my ruler will last that long. If I would have remembered that rule, I would have worked harder to butter up my Council and rig the vote.

Aaaanyway. Digging around online revealed that many think Elective Succession is even better than Primogeniture as it lets one pick the strongest pup in the litter to inherit all the land titles. The reasoning follows that as long as your Vassals are generally happy they'll always vote on your pick. This sounds like a decent option.

What do you guys think?

tl;dr: Primogeniture vs. Elective...GO!!!

Elective is much much much better, for pretty much exactly the reason you said: No need to beat about the bush, just pick the strongest of the lot and give 'em everything.

Purkake4

Banned
This is true. If you can arrange a really high-diplo leader (and then string of leaders), it's not as much of a problem though.
Always fun when you die unexpectedly, become a little kid and have to dodge assassins while everyone elects that one charismatic duke as your successor.

There's some hilarious events when your regent attempts to kill you and fails multiple times.

Aaron D.

Thanks for the feedback, gang.

Noob question about Elective Succession. Can Vassals vote for a non-blood line heir? Essentially, could it be instant Game Over if the vote doesn't swing your way and some random slob outside of your family ascends to the throne?

That's a lot of pressure.

Reaper's Due is kicking my ass. I think my latest game was the first time where I actually ran out of dynasty members. Cancer can F off.

Thanks for the feedback, gang.

Noob question about Elective Succession. Can Vassals vote for a non-blood line heir? Essentially, could it be instant Game Over if the vote doesn't swing your way and some random slob outside of your family ascends to the throne?

That's a lot of pressure.

yeah, but only the vassals under you are voting for that specific position. So if you're a double duke with x number of counties, but someone outside of dynasty gets kingdom, your heir is still a double duke with x number of counties

Tbh though, even though elective is probably the best, it sometimes gets boring. Also a fan of tightly controlled dynasties with ultimogeniture, killing/imprisoning your wife/becoming infertile when you get an heir you like.

Top Bottom