• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How comparable/detailed is it compared to ck2?

You don't get to kill your ruler or your heir, that's for sure. But they can get traits every 10 years (or following a great battle for example) and when the ruler dies the consort takes over the regency. And you can disinherit the heir if it's that bad for a penalty of -50 prestige. Still digging for the rest.

A billion dislikes already, yep.

I can understand it, they probably don't have too many critical features for the upcoming DLC they can really extricate fairly for free users. Like other things they've talked about in the past were wanting to improve the AI for the pacific theatre... if that wasn't free there would be equal or greater meltdowns probably. At least the Blitz being given to the AI will make it more functional for free users, we can already create encirclements manually as players and that will even the playing field.

Wow I am loving the Rights of Man expansion, it's completely changed the dynamic of the game with the ruler traits/personalities due to how it directly affects how the AI behaves. It's a lot more organic and you can make sense of why countries are going to war, their strategic goals in the region, etc from ruler's point of view from the personalities, and who it's formed allies with, etc. It becomes even more potent when it combines with the new diplo actions from Great Powers (creating some really interesting large scale wars). I've seen a lot of people talking about it basically bringing "world wars" to the game but I haven't experienced such large wars yet. Intervention by Great Powers is creating some really good gameplay.

Edit: Also the AI is way smarter now with defence, especially with besieging/defending forts. I guess that's due to the fort changes in general.

Fitz

Really good imo, I love that each institution will start in a sensible location (mostly) then spread naturally around the world in a way that makes sense. One of the games best system changes since launch.

Purkake4

Banned
Really good imo, I love that each institution will start in a sensible location (mostly) then spread naturally around the world in a way that makes sense. One of the games best system changes since launch.
I wonder if they'll ever expand it to parallel institutions. It's a bit railroad-y to have one "correct" order of things and suffer if you don't want to upgrade to global trade or whatever.

Llyranor

It becomes even more potent when it combines with the new diplo actions from Great Powers (creating some really interesting large scale wars). I've seen a lot of people talking about it basically bringing "world wars" to the game but I haven't experienced such large wars yet. Intervention by Great Powers is creating some really good gameplay.
Huh, so it brings elements of Victoria 2 as well as CK2, then? I really liked how Great Powers were implemented in Vic2.

I've heard nothing but good things about Right of Man. Definitely going to have to let myself get it soon, but if I get it right now I feel like all my time will be spent solely on it

Llyranor

I haven't played EU4 yet, but been slowly accumulating xpacs until we do our coop campaign. Right now, we have:
- Art of War
- Wealth of Nations
- Conquest of Paradise
- Mare Nostrum
(and Rights of Man next Steam sale)

Any other recommended xpacs?

Uzzy

The Sabaton soundtrack DLC is essential. I'd also recommend that you get Common Sense, as it adds development of provinces, which is a pretty useful feature.

Huh, so it brings elements of Victoria 2 as well as CK2, then? I really liked how Great Powers were implemented in Vic2.

Yep pretty much and works fairly well in creating a more dynamic game, the overhauled tech group system has also aided this because it doesn't always mean certain countries will be crippled. The only weird thing about the Great Power system right now which might be a little oversight/bug which is easily fixed is that say, Ming, who doesn't know about all of Europe at an early date can intervene in a war where it may not know all of the belligerents on either side, but a few. I think you should know all of them before you can intervene.

Speaking of Vicky 2, one of the QA guys at PDX (Da9l) over last 2-3 weeks has been streaming on twitch the game because he's trying to learn it with help from others, maybe I'm reading too much into it but makes me think they might be working on an expansion or Vicky 3.

I haven't played EU4 yet, but been slowly accumulating xpacs until we do our coop campaign. Right now, we have:
- Art of War
- Wealth of Nations
- Conquest of Paradise
- Mare Nostrum
(and Rights of Man next Steam sale)

Any other recommended xpacs?

A late reply (and I guess there was a sale and now it's over?). Any ways I'd recommend Common Sense and The Cossacks. Common Sense got an update due to 1.18's tech group overhaul with Institutions, it enables you to gain points towards having a presence of the oldest non-embraced institution in the province when you increase development on it.

For example this was useful for me as Muscovy/Russia when Colonialism came about. It was taking a long time for it to reach me, so I increased development in one of my provinces with each increase giving me more and more points until it was fully present in that province. It takes at most 2000 monarch points to do that, so yes it is expensive but can be very worth it if you want to even get ahead of other countries or falling really behind in it. After it was present in my one province I was able to embrace it fully.

This is only possible with the Common Sense DLC because the provincial development system comes from that expansion.

The reason I recommend The Cossacks is mostly because I like the features that come with it and I make use of them all the time, such as the favours system, designating provinces foreign provinces as interest (AI does the same), culture conversion changes, the Estates system, spy networks that I think reduce your tech penalty if the target has higher tech than you (I think it's in this expansion or it may have been the patch).

Also worth noting that with Mare Nastrum you get fort siege benefits against an enemy assuming you have a spy network on that enemy.

They've mentioned they're working on 3 new projects, and it's highly likely that at least one of them is a new Victoria. The fans have been clamouring for it, it's the only mainline Paradox series that hasn't had a NuParadox Perpetual DLC edition released, and Vicky 2 got a new patch at the end of last year.

bjaelke

Very excited for the next EU IV update (1.19).
index.php
#MakeScandinaviaGreatAgain

Volodja

They've mentioned they're working on 3 new projects, and it's highly likely that at least one of them is a new Victoria. The fans have been clamouring for it, it's the only mainline Paradox series that hasn't had a NuParadox Perpetual DLC edition released, and Vicky 2 got a new patch at the end of last year.
A new Victoria would be interesting.
Victoria 2 was close to impenetrable for me, some mechanics baffled me completely, but the last few Paradox games have felt a bit less complex and obscure, so I'm interested to see what will happen with it.

Uzzy

I'm still holding out hope for a Cold War/Modern Era grand strategy game. They could go in some interesting directions with that.

Vicky 3 would be delightful too.

Purkake4

Banned
A new Victoria would be interesting.
Victoria 2 was close to impenetrable for me, some mechanics baffled me completely, but the last few Paradox games have felt a bit less complex and obscure, so I'm interested to see what will happen with it.
The interface is pretty trash and the popups are annoying, but the underlying mechanics are pretty amazing. Separating your whole population out into as many different groups as applicable with different beliefs, needs and jobs is pretty genius. This added to a functional global economy simulates social mobility, strife and revolutions.

Not to mention the amazing global conflict system that forces even the biggest blobs into action or risk their status.

Martian

So my first "real" paradox game is HOI4 (i have others in my library, only never really played them. And I really enjoy it. My question is: how easy is it to get into the other games? Are the mechanics comparable? I found HOI4 relatively easy to get into (I tried CK2 and failed a couple of times) and really love it.

Purkake4

Banned
So my first "real" paradox game is HOI4 (i have others in my library, only never really played them. And I really enjoy it. My question is: how easy is it to get into the other games? Are the mechanics comparable? I found HOI4 relatively easy to get into (I tried CK2 and failed a couple of times) and really love it.
Just watch someone play it a bit to get the general idea. All the mechanics are there in tooltips (or the ledger) and just go fiddle around with it a bit.

Llyranor

Not to mention the amazing global conflict system that forces even the biggest blobs into action or risk their status.
The Great Powers system is amazing. Really brings forth the complex network of alliances that dragged Europe into WW1. Vic2 might be my fav Paradox game (or maybe it's CK2).

Victoria looks like a really awesome series to get into, I would just need a lot of time to dedicate to it at first to overcome the initial hurdle, so I'd probably wait for a some holiday when I'm free.

Llyranor

I played Vic2 single-nation coop and it worked pretty well, since we split the tasks/systems/fronts between us so it never got overwhelming.

Purkake4

Banned
I played Vic2 single-nation coop and it worked pretty well, since we split the tasks/systems/fronts between us so it never got overwhelming.
Tag-teaming is the best hidden Paradox feature. I'm really happy it works across games and hasn't been "fixed" yet.

HoI4 DLC announced:

Together For Victory. commonwealth focused expansion.

Today's DD was Canada's national focus tree. Looks extremely thorough.

They also announced that the expansion pass will be covering 3 DLC expansions instead of 2 because the first one wasn't as meaty as they'd originally planned.

Purkake4

Banned
HoI4 DLC announced:

Together For Victory. commonwealth focused expansion.

Today's DD was Canada's national focus tree. Looks extremely thorough.

They also announced that the expansion pass will be covering 3 DLC expansions instead of 2 because the first one wasn't as meaty as they'd originally planned.
Wait, so it's a limited expansion pass? Paradox gonna Paradox.

I had so much expectations for HoI IV, hopefully Paradox will invest enough time to improve it to EU IV levels..

This is where I hate Paradox's DLC model. It's one thing to heap small expansions on an already good product, it's another when you have something fundamentally flawed and have to buy a bunch of expensive DLCs to get something decent years later.

Wait, so it's a limited expansion pass? Paradox gonna Paradox.

Did you think you would get possibly 3-4 years of content dlcs, 2 per year valued between 15-25 dollars each for such a modest price :p

The deal was always quite explicit, the expansion pass was for the first two expansions. It was announced and advertised on the store page that way. Podcat has stated that with HoI4 they want to move away from "micro DLCs" where every expansion comes with like one or two crappy minor packs too, so the content that would normally go into those (except probably licenced song packs, which I imagine will still exist separately) will be bundled into the main expansions now. They will probably categorize them further into expansion pass 1, expansion pass 2... etc to simplify buying them for new players.

I had so much expectations for HoI IV, hopefully Paradox will invest enough time to improve it to EU IV levels..

This is where I hate Paradox's DLC model. It's one thing to heap small expansions on an already good product, it's another when you have something fundamentally flawed and have to buy a bunch of expensive DLCs to get something decent years later.

The new DLC model also comes with lots of free features alongside every major DLC pack. EU4 and CK2 are not even remotely the same game they were at launch even if you never bought a single DLC pack. HoI4 is going to be the same way. Things like AI improvements and UI tweaks are coming for everybody, not just those that buy the expansions. Further, they typically give some of the major mechanical overhauls for free, in situations when it's not easy to maintain two separate versions of the game. Like they can't just completely scrap the air war for something new in a DLC, then not also change it for the base game.

If you bought HoI4 day 1, normal edition with no fancy stuff, you're going to get constant updates for the next 3 years. You won't get all of the features that the DLCs come with, but you WILL be getting a steadily improving game.

If you bought HoI3 day 1, you got a fucked game that was unstable in addition to being obtuse and unusable, you got a few stability patches and then you were up shit creek. You didn't keep getting updates for years, you had to buy the expansions because that's just how the old model worked. Even after 3 expansion packs and 4 years of patches, it's still a fucked game with a glitchy supply system, a major lack of explanation as to how half the techs work, bugged statistics like "Air defence" that don't do anything in the game, braindead AI that is easy to stomp for any skilled player and does dumb things all the time... etc.

The HoI series has always been rough. HoI4 is off to a rocky start because of some design choices, but I really do think it's going to turn out well.

CzarTim

I honestly thought HOI4 was one of the strongest Paradox games at launch. Not perfect by any stretch, but a ton of fun. Looking forward to the DLC.

I honestly thought HOI4 was one of the strongest Paradox games at launch. Not perfect by any stretch, but a ton of fun. Looking forward to the DLC.

Yes and no. It is, to this day, still highly flawed. At the same time I think it might be one of the games that diverged from the previous entries in the series the most in it's 1.0 incarnation. Really feels so different from HoI3 on every level.

Uzzy

I launched Operation Sealion with ten divisions and won WW2 in 1939. As Fascist Netherlands.

There's a few problems with HOI4.

But to be fair, there's a really good base there. The production and logistics side of the game is really strong and easy to use. If they can fix the AI and stop the division spam so that El Salvador doesn't have 50 divisions, then I think it'll be great.

CzarTim

Yes and no. It is, to this day, still highly flawed. At the same time I think it might be one of the games that diverged from the previous entries in the series the most in it's 1.0 incarnation. Really feels so different from HoI3 on every level.

Oh for sure. They made a grand strategy game set in WW2 rather than a war game. I just personally think that was a smart move as Paradox is more equipped to deliver a good grand strategy game.

I also really think HOI3 was not very good. Even with the expansions. It was cumbersome and micro-heavy. So them going the other way with it is okay in my book.

The AI is still lacking, and I think the air / naval stuff needs an overhaul. But in terms of "let me pretend to be Churchill and take over Eurasia," it's a blast.

Purkake4

Banned
Did you think you would get possibly 3-4 years of content dlcs, 2 per year valued between 15-25 dollars each for such a modest price :p

The deal was always quite explicit, the expansion pass was for the first two expansions. It was announced and advertised on the store page that way. Podcat has stated that with HoI4 they want to move away from "micro DLCs" where every expansion comes with like one or two crappy minor packs too, so the content that would normally go into those (except probably licenced song packs, which I imagine will still exist separately) will be bundled into the main expansions now. They will probably categorize them further into expansion pass 1, expansion pass 2... etc to simplify buying them for new players.
Well, nice to them to explain it, just a bit confusing in the context of most games having expansion passes for all the expansions.

They should really understand that they need to build up good will first, make the game really good and then nickel and dime everyone.

What I miss from HoI 3 is the logistics/supply system. I want that level of strategy back since I find it to be very important to the overall strategy, it's important on how well and easily you can mobilise and move equipment, supply it, etc, and how that influences battle strategy/front lines and theaters. The way it is implemented now in HoI 4 is way too abstracted for my liking such as how the supply network works. I get that a lot of people disliked the tedium of the micro managing of supply/logistics in the past but I am sure there is middle ground and most of it came down to bad UI resulting in the tedium.

Well, nice to them to explain it, just a bit confusing in the context of most games having expansion passes for all the expansions.

They should really understand that they need to build up good will first, make the game really good and then nickel and dime everyone.

It's labeled "Expansion Pass #1", so while if you just heard that there was some kind of expansion pass you may not realise, I don't think people who bought it were confused or misled.

The reality of the pdox model is that as soon as they come back from the post-launch holiday, they start working on expansions straight away, but it depends on what exactly is borked. Currently it's AI problems, and they did improve in several ways over the last few patches, but 95% of the dev team can't work on AI. They're working on focus trees and artwork and music and UI elements and other things for the most part. It doesn't make much sense to have them all idle for months and months while they wait for SteelVolt to fix some problematic aspect of the AI's behavior.

It looks bad, no argument, but I don't think anybody is losing or missing out on anything by having everyone keep working. Looking at it objectively, we're still getting AI improvements for free, there will still be free features with the patch, and they've stated their #1 priority for AI development in the next patch is the War in the Pacific. Thank god, because that is currently the only part of the game I would truly agree is "Broken" (not just the forum rage version of broken where broken means "not working how I hoped it would before the game came out") - AI Japan NEVER invades America, and AI America NEVER invades Japan, or even starts island hopping effectively. Other than that, they need to fix intermittent front abandonment and make them put up a bit more of a fight.

frontovik

Banned
So .. if I can play Paradox games, then I should be able to learn Civ games, right?

Never really got Civ V or its predecessors, but have decided to purchase Civ VI because it looks more fun.

So .. if I can play Paradox games, then I should be able to learn Civ games, right?

Never really got Civ V or its predecessors, but have decided to purchase Civ VI because it looks more fun.

EU4 is like driving a car, Civilization V/VI is like playing with a toy car. You'll be fine.

Vinter

After some time with CK2, I decided to try to finally learn EU4 better.
Of course I fucked up right out of the gate with going for colonization without really reading up on it. So now I am locked in a on-off war with Burgundy and friends for Calais. I have tried to be non-aggressive with England, since all I did in CK was war. Game is really good so far though. I just need to get better.

Top Bottom