• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount Says ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Flopped Because Of Whitewashing Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

I didn't see it but I passed on it because I always thought the source material had a good combination of deep content that made you think, and cool action/visuals. From what I heard it's all visuals. I'll probably rent it someday.

I blame them solely for the movie as they were aware of the problems of the movies for many months and chose not to fix it.

Pretty much, they went full steam ahead hand waving away any "fanboys".

tenor.gif

Then when it doesn't sell, blame the "fanboys".

Sami+

On a tangentially related note, I really don't see the appeal of Scarlett Johansson as an action lead as the star of a movie at all. Every movie I've seen her in apart from Lost in Translation and maybe Her she just looks and sounds bored. She sucks.

Is it just because I haven't seen Under the Skin? If that's her at her best I should probably give it a shot.

mortal

Gold Member
"You've got a movie that is very important to the fanboys since it's based on a Japanese anime movie," Davies added. ”So you're always trying to thread that needle between honoring the source material and make a movie for a mass audience."

Oh, there goes that white people = wider appeal excuse again. They totally had to justify the white washing guys, you know....for money.

According to that logic, non caucasian actors can't lead a movie, and people are deathly afraid of seeing anyone not caucasian act, because...who the fuck knows.

Gastone

It flopped because it was...fucking horrible. An asian Major wouldn't have made any significant positive impact on the film, other than removing the controversy of white washing.

KSweeley

Oh, there goes that white people = wider appeal excuse again. They totally had to justify the white washing guys, you know....for money.

From an interview with 4 Japanese actresses who saw Ghost in the Shell: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...esses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956

How did you feel when that twist was revealed?

Agena: That was hard, y’all. Hard and awkward.

Ai Yoshihara: Major’s backstory is white people trying to justify the casting.

Okatsuka: And they f—ed up in the process because now it looks even worse
. The text at the beginning of the movie explained that Hanka Robotics is making a being that’s the best of human and the best of robotics. For some reason, the best stuff they make happens to be white. Michael Pitt used to be
Hideo

Agena: That was the other cringe-worthy moment, when
they called each other by their Japanese names
. We’re looking at these beautiful white bodies
saying these Japanese names
, and it hurt my heart a little bit.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I mean, no. It flopped because it's not good.

The whitewashing didn't help though.

As long as they have their eyes on the situation though, GITS is a fine sacrifice for the movement.

Nah dude bad movies perform well all the time. This clearly flopped because it couldn't cater to anyone at all.

Fans of GitS saw it and said "well this clearly isn't for me"

The mainstream saw it and said "uh what is this?"

Sacrjo clearly can't carry action movies on her own, and Luc B just doesn't have a die hard enough fanbase like nolan or cameron who will see literally anything that is produced by those two.

Then the controversy on top of that might have just put enough people off.

The majority of people who saw this are people who go to the theater every weekend looking for something to watch.

Zoe

Who besides Takeshi Kitano would have fit in?
Ken Watanabe just because?

I didn't say they had to be Asian.

A strong, well-known supporting cast would have been a better draw for the general public than throwing a bunch of money at one woman,

cdyhybrid

I feel like if they had cast an Asian lead, and let the John Wick guys make it, we might have gotten somewhere.
They could take my money right now.

I'd pay to watch the John Wick guys film Keanu Reeves reading the phone book.

According that logic, non caucasian actors can't lead a movie, and people are deathly afraid of seeing anyone not caucasian act, because...who the fuck knows.

Yeah Hollywood, the Fast and Furious series has no mass appeal because of its diverse cast 🙄

SeanC

90% of the people that saw ads or posters don't know a thing about the whitewashing so that's horseshit. The majority of people that go and see a movie aren't going to be aware of that. Hell, I felt the most excited people who wanted to see it were those that actually knew the 1995 anime and had awareness of the IP in the first place.

You overspent on something and it went down in flames and you couldn't recoup your budget, simple as that.

RMI

Banned
It flopped because it was...fucking horrible. An asian Major wouldn't have made any significant positive impact on the film, other than removing the controversy of white washing.

probably, but the non-asian major is just a symptom of the bigger problem, which is focusing on what they think the average movie-goer wants rather than focusing on making a good movie.

KSweeley

I've heard people say and articles state that ScarJo can "put butts in seats" for movies she stars in.

That is clearly not the case with Ghost in the Shell, I went to see it this past Monday at a 2 PM showing, only me and 4 other people actually was in the theater the entire time for the movie. 5 people for a movie seems like ScarJo cannot put "butts in seats."

It flopped because they tried to make 110 million dollar movie out of Ghost in the Shell.

Yeah. Even if the movie wasn't shit, didn't have the white washing bullshit, and expanded on the franchise the way the original film and TV series had that made it feel new and fresh to fans, it still wouldn't have done well. The word "Unadaptable" comes to mind. GiTS is a niche extremely heavy and hard sci-fi cyberpunk story with themes of existentialism and transhumanism that's going to go over most audience's heads. A good GiTS movie couldn't have succeeded in a world where audiences by and large really just want an endless supply of the Transformers sequels fed to them. The fact that the movie sucks too was just icing on the cake. It was a wrongheaded idea from the start.

Magus1234

90% of the people that saw ads or posters don't know a thing about the whitewashing so that's horseshit. The majority of people that go and see a movie aren't going to be aware of that. Hell, I felt the most excited people who wanted to see it were those that actually knew the 1995 anime and had awareness of the IP in the first place.

You overspent on something and it went down in flames and you couldn't recoup your budget, simple as that.

I think they were saying that the rabid anime fans and people who wanted an Asian lead were basically trashing the movie for years and gave it bad rap before it even came out.

Yeah. Even if the movie wasn't shit, didn't have the white washing bullshit, and expanded on the franchise the way the original film and TV series had that made it feel new and fresh to fans, it still wouldn't have done well. The word "Unadaptable" comes to mind. GoTS is a niche extremely heavy and hard sci-fi cyberpunk story with themes of existentialism and transhumanism that's going to go over most audience's heads. The fact that the movie sucks too was just icing on the cake. It was a wrongheaded idea from the start.
It's why i feel making a new Blade Runner is just absurd.

The very idea is designed to be a money sink.

Do not blame yourself for the terrible sales it is always something else. Come on Paramount. Even without that controversy I never saw the movie being a hit for the mainstream audience. It is a niche film for an already niche anime. Only really fans of GITS would be the ones to go and see that film.

Lesson learned?
“So you’re always trying to thread that needle between honoring the source material and make a movie for a mass audience. That’s challenging, but clearly the reviews didn’t help.”
Maybe change your views on white being the default for mass audience.

Gastone

probably, but the non-asian major is just a symptom of the bigger problem, which is focusing on what they think the average movie-goer wants rather than focusing on making a good movie.

I'll agree to that.
GiTS (2017) is a great example of a film where Hollywood thinks they can (yet again) take a great story, dumb it down for the masses, cast an a-list actor, throw some money at it and think it'll stick. Oh, and let's not forget that they usually throw these kind of projects at people who have a reputation of making shit films.

It happens time and time again, and it's getting tiresome.

But isn't it true?
It's all speculation, but do you think a GitS with an all Asian cast (or at least an Asian female lead) would have sold better?
The mass market is still the audience that wants a flashy action movie. Not the (rather small I guess) audience that comprises of die hard Anime-fans that would watch the movie only with an Asian cast.

People will see a movie if it's a decent, engaging, or entertaining regardless of who the lead is. We've seen so many movies with huge box office stars bomb but everyone keeps believing that white stars are needed for movies to do well.

Anything else just perpetuates this notion that only white actors are capable of leading movies and that they alone are what are the heralds of movie success. Any other minority isn't worth putting in lead roles because they aren't white.

It's literally a self feeding bunch of nonsense of:

-Only white actors are cast
---People ask why minorities aren't cast in lead roles
---Others say they're not big name/name isn't known to carry a movie
---Suggests minorities 'continue to grind until they're a household name then hollywood might take a chance'
---Puts a huge stumbling block in the whole "work until you're a household name"
---Argue that money talks and so white people have to be cast
-So only only white actors are cast
---People ask why minorities aren't cast in lead roles
---Others say they're not big name/name isn't known to carry a movie
---Suggests minorities 'continue to grind until they're a household name then hollywood might take a chance'
---Puts a huge stumbling block in the whole "work until you're a household name"
---Argue that money talks and so white people have to be cast

SeanC

I think they were saying that the rabid anime fans and people who wanted an Asian lead were basically trashing the movie for years and gave it bad rap before it even came out.

I know, but they're wrong. The trashing isn't going to reach the main audience that they need to make their money back on - an audience that doesn't care about the IP to begin with and are just looking for a movie to see on a weekend.

Rabid anime fans aren't going to kill a movie just like rabid comic book fans didn't make Scott Pilgrim a hit.

I saw the movie last night, whitewashing wasn't the only problem with it. Just the only culturally important problem.

It was 100% awful, toe to tip.

I know, but they're wrong. The trashing isn't going to reach the main audience that they need to make their money back on - an audience that doesn't care about the IP to begin with and are just looking for a movie to see on a weekend.

Rabid anime fans aren't going to kill a movie just like rabid comic book fans didn't make Scott Pilgrim a hit.
In a world where a critically "Meh" fucking POWER RANGERS movie looks primed to be a solid hit when international returns come in beats you twice over.

You need to realize that you just made a mediocre movie that nobody felt compelled to see.
"America loves action movies and Scarlett, it'll easily make it's money back"
Yeah, probably.

Said it already: I don't think the whitewashing was a major factor in it bombing, but I'm totally cool with them taking that as the lesson.

Yeah. Even if the movie wasn't shit, didn't have the white washing bullshit, and expanded on the franchise the way the original film and TV series had that made it feel new and fresh to fans, it still wouldn't have done well. The word "Unadaptable" comes to mind. GoTS is a niche extremely heavy and hard sci-fi cyberpunk story with themes of existentialism and transhumanism that's going to go over most audience's heads. A good GoTS movie couldn't have succeeded in a world where audiences by and large really just want an endless supply of the Transformers sequels fed to them. The fact that the movie sucks too was just icing on the cake. It was a wrongheaded idea from the start.

It's not "unadaptable" cuz we already had live-action movies like GitS. True not all of them succeed but they exist and most gain cult followings. Live-action GitS was just a typical action movie.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Eh, that's less than the reason. I'm gunna say just going off reviews it was a average to poor film that couldn't gain traction because of weak trailers and press. People will see shit, no matter what but you gotta build a base somewhere and those trailers didn't help. Then the reviews put a bullet in its brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom