• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Olympic bid committee (2024) co-president on esports possible role in Olympics

Which game are you most hoping to see as an Olympic Sport in 2024?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JayEH

I don't want this but maybe people would be more accepting if they drop their dumb screen names. There is also the corporate angle I hadn't considered before reading this thread.

Quonny

I don't want this but maybe people would be more accepting if they drop their dumb screen names. There is also the corporate angle I hadn't considered before reading this thread.

They'd likely go with Jason "D3stroy3r" James. A major reason they would want this is to get younger people interested in the Olympics. Just ditching the name that the audience has grown to use as an identifier would be a bad move.

Jebusman

Banned

Are you sure? I want to see a major TV station announce that xXx420BongLordNarutoxXx has won a gold medal.

Xyphie

I don't want to see video games in the Olympics because of the limited lifespan and proprietary nature of the medium. I'd be fine with Chess in the Olympics. Chess is also "open source". I know people will play chess 25 years from now. Same can't be said for League of Legends.

I say give it a try. If it's a disaster, don't bring it back like they did with other events in the past.

Don't know how it'd turn out but it'd certainly be interesting regardless.

To those saying that esports should replace stuff like horse dressage:
it's that kind of narrow-minded thinking people have that don't accept esports as "real" sport, so yeah....

Is chess in the Olympics?
No?
You have your answer for esports being in the Olympics.

Let's get real, this is ALL ABOUT DA ADVERTISING MONEY.
Esports can draw a crowd that specific advertisers will pay plenty to show their commercials to.

I think my grandmother would die if she turned on the Olympics to see any popular video game being played. Most of which have guns or some sort of violence.

smurfx

get some go again
an e-sports olympics would also have to take place every year. you couldn't have it every 2 or 4 years because the gaming landscape could possibly be really different every olympics. you could have cases where people don't really play a game that was showcased the last olympics. evo has pretty much become the fighting game olympics. only wish they could allow more fighting games in so most popular fighting games get showcased.

ironmang

I say give it a try. If it's a disaster, don't bring it back like they did with other events in the past.

Don't know how it'd turn out but it'd certainly be interesting regardless.

People will fight against even giving it a try because they know it'd be a success.

crash-14

I'm not that big on eSports being in Olympics. But if Surf and Skate have made it, and horse riding was already in, I don't see why they shouldn't tbh.

Let's be real, Olympics were an strength display. With that many team sports or artistic events I just feels like a congregations of competitions.

Fuck it, racing should be in also (Since Chariot racing was a thing back then)

Are there other sports that don't involve physical exercise at the olympics? I don't think chess was ever olympic. Darting maybe?

Bobsleigh and equestrian come to mind where it's mostly external energy only. ...still much more exhausting than video games.

weekev

Banned
I would prefer an Olympic type event where all game types are joined together, so like if Evo/Nintendo World Championships / DOTA International etc etc joined to make a giant egames event.

Every year the games get changed up, it could be huge given the upward trend in funding for e-sports.

I don't get people complaining about this. It would be awesome for the scene, videogames have nothing but to gain with this idea. Increased market, higher budgets, fathers looking at their kids with different eyes. Amazing.

Tonyx

But how could this work? Esport games change every year. But olympic teams will need time to prepare. Would they just add "generic fighting game" and then one year before the event announce which one?

Mikey Jr.

Gut reaction is "lol, no, come on".

But honestly, this might help push gaming to the casual crowd and grow the audience.

Gator86

People don't give a shit about Horse Dressage or those faux traditional sports.

Meanwhile you get multimillion viewers watching TI7, League Worlds etc in that 13-30 demographic

Who would watch amateurs?

"The Olympics has lots of dumb non-sports shit. Let's add more!"

Are there other sports that don't involve physical exercise at the olympics? I don't think chess was ever olympic. Darting maybe?

Bobsleigh and equestrian come to mind where it's mostly external energy only. ...still much more exhausting than video games.

Curling is one, there is a person who pretty much just stands there and looks at stuff.

Pistol shooting requires skill and control, but not in a cardio sense.

In rowing there is a person who just sits on the boat and doesn't row, but motivates and keeps the rowers on time.

From 1912 to 1948 there were Art competitions in the Olympics.

Linkified

eSports in the fucking Olympics is dumb and shameful shit.

Smfh

Not really considering during the summer Olympics from I believe until 1948 had art competitions present.

This is just the 21st century version of the art competition.

Trogdor1123

But how could this work? Esport games change every year. But olympic teams will need time to prepare. Would they just add "generic fighting game" and then one year before the event announce which one?

It would be more team based than individual based I think. A team would have a diverse set of skills to pull on. It wouldnt have to be the same as other real sports. Boxers usually have less than a year to prepare for a fight, Id wager that if they can do it, so can esport people.

The games changing isnt a concern really imo. They change the layout for almost all of the downhill items every time so thats not a concern.

Gorillaz

I think this is the best option.

Games are great, esports are great, the Olympics are great, esports at the Olympics are not great.
It's also the fact that these communities go through worst slumps then actual world wide sports.

People saying lol curling and horseback riding don't realize those events will be actually done in the future. Games like Overwatch is a little over a year old having pro player fatigue already. Fighters are the only safe bet and Evo is there big one.

I don't get people complaining about this. It would be awesome for the scene, videogames have nothing but to gain with this idea. Increased market, higher budgets, fathers looking at their kids with different eyes. Amazing.
esports in Olympics = special eyes

hCECkHV.gif

Really, what are you saying with this comment? I'm not sure I fully understand.

Daedardus

Need to hone my Dota skills so I can get a gold medal and score 25 points so I can finally be allowed to immigrate to the US.

Trogdor1123

It's also the fact that these communities go through worst slumps then actual world wide sports.

People saying lol curling and horseback riding don't realize those events will be actually done in the future. Games like Overwatch is a little over a year old having pro player fatigue already. Fighters are the only safe bet and Evo is there big one.

People who laugh at hroseback riding and curling have never done them. A friend of mine actually won a gold medal at the olympics in curling (the medal is crazy heavy!) and the physical fitness of the people is pretty crazy now.

Horse racing is similar.

You can be fat and lazy and awesome at games... i dont think that should be a thing for the olympics. (which is a bit hypocritical as there are lots of heavy weight lifters but I know nothing about that sport so I really cant say).

blackflag

NO that is my vote.

Also, why would they ever consider video games before Chess or Go? Those shouldn't be included either but I'd think they would be added before video games.

This is some "How you do fellow kids shit." Plus the olympics are supposed to appeal to all ages. My parents aren't going to care or understand eSports but everyone can understand swimming or boxing or running.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
People who laugh at hroseback riding and curling have never done them. A friend of mine actually won a gold medal at the olympics in curling (the medal is crazy heavy!) and the physical fitness of the people is pretty crazy now.

Horse racing is similar.

You can be fat and lazy and awesome at games... i dont think that should be a thing for the olympics. (which is a bit hypocritical as there are lots of heavy weight lifters but I know nothing about that sport so I really cant say).
So shooting and archery are a no go?

Top Bottom