• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathologic Classic HD coming soon to Steam and GoG (not the remake)

Corpekata

Banned
Pathologic, the weird ass cult game from Ice Pick Lodge (okay, that describes all their stuff) was recently kickstarted for a remake. In order to make things as confusing as possible, they've also remastered the original game for a release on Steam:

Their reasoning (from the KS backer update):

Look. There used to be only one Pathologic—the buggy 2005 game some of you fell in love with. It was a very important game for us, so now we’re making a new version—a reimagining that will, while remaining faithful to the core ideas of the original, explore them further and look for new methods of representation. New ways to convey our points. Yet the original game, however imperfect, is still very dear to us, so we’ve decided to preserve it in its best possible state—by fixing the major issues and re-releasing it

It will have a few notable things, most importantly of all a new translation, which was really one of the big barriers to entry for the game. Other stuff from the Steam Page

Brand New Voice-overs
New content: A large amount of text that had previously been cut from the international version of the game have now been restored
Updated textures and higher resolutions support.
New visual effects.

Looks like it'll have things like controller support and achievements and whatnot too.

Here's the Announcement Trailer

Yeah I kickstarted Pathologic without a moment of hesitation, pretty cool that they've gone back to improve the original as well. It really needed a new translation.

Pretty happy to see it's going to GOG as well, I didn't see that mentioned in the backer update but maybe I missed it.

If anyone isn't familiar with the game, RPS featured one of my favorite pieces of games writing about it ... spoilers, but such a good read. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/04/10/butchering-pathologic-part-1-the-body/

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah I kickstarted Pathologic without a moment of hesitation, pretty cool that they've gone back to improve the original as well. It really needed a new translation.

Pretty happy to see it's going to GOG as well, I didn't see that mentioned in the backer update but maybe I missed it.

If anyone isn't familiar with the game, RPS featured one of my favorite pieces of games writing about it ... spoilers, but such a good read. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/04/10/butchering-pathologic-part-1-the-body/

GoG's in the trailer's description. Also coming to Humble Store.

gabbo

This all around.
Maybe now I'll manage to get more than a few days in and know what the hell i'm doing

Nordicus

Heh, the frequency at which Ice-Pick Lodge keeps mentioning that they're not 100% happy with how the original Pathologic ended up, almost makes me think the writers and creative leads are losing sleep over their regrets.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It makes sense, since with the Remake it sounds like they're making some huge changes to the game to make it something of a new experience, while I own the original I'll be picking up this Remaster and the Remake, never played the original despite owning it for a few years, will try to remedy that soon.

Nordicus

People who backed the remake at $55 tier or higher will get the HD remaster for free, by the way

— Why should I buy it at all?

Actually, if you’re a backer of an OLD AND NEW or higher tier, you don’t have to; obviously it’s the new, Pathologic Classic HD version that you’ll be provided with as a reward as soon as it is released (i.e. at the end of October).

If you aren’t, here are some more incentives:

• the original Pathologic is on Steam for the first time ever;
  • it’s the most polished version of the game in existence;
  • while the models remain the same, it’s way more visually pleasing due to Cool Effects and Better Textures;
  • it supports modern screen resolutions (up to 1920x1200);
  • more quality-of-life improvements.
There are also some perks available to the non-Russian-speaking gamers:

• you can finally find out what the hell happened there;
  • like seriously, Maria used to say that there “is a ‘bog’ in ‘Utopia’” completely disregarding the fact that no, there isn’t;
  • we mean it, some plotlines are obscure enough even with proper translation;
  • you’ll also get to see restored content.

Ah, glad to hear it, I'm excited for the remake, and I do believe in taking creative liberties with it, but then it becomes something I want to experience in addition the original, not in place of it. I'm glad that as an English speaker, I now have access to a version of the game that's more true to the original vision.

Seriously the new translation is reason enough to get this. This will be fantastic! Very excited for the remake but this game really just needed bug fixes and a new translation to really bear its fruit completely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Related videos / up next:
NBHU9qS.png

LordCiego

In some ways this should be better than the remake. I havent played it but part of the charm its is quirkiness which maybe is lost in the remake to do it a more "modern" game.

Or maybe not, we are talking about Ice pick lodge...

Despera

Banned
One of the 4 projects I backed on KS. Seems like they've implemented enough features in this remaster to warrant a purchase. Can't wait to get my hands on this while waiting for the remake.

Corpekata

Banned
Nice to hear about the backer thing, though I only backed at the basic level, so oh well, might have to purchase it.

Love the original, it will be great to revisit it with the improved translation. I just hope they tweaked the run speed while they were at it.

Hmmm, this appeals to me greatly. Always been fascinated by this game. New translation means there will never be a better time to jump in.

NewGame

Banned
This is outstanding. If anyone considers games a form of art this is the touch stone to cap it with.

It's also one of the greatest survival horror games of all time if you can pardon the technical problems.

Top Bottom