• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patty Jenkins Set to Direct Wonder Woman 2

shaneo632

I'm still waiting for the day someone can successfully articulate to me why the slow-mo in Wonder Woman is a legitimate problem, and not just a thing that you noticed.

It just made the action look cheesy and dated. The fluid motion when WW's skidding around that office destroying the Germans looked incredible.

Cheerilee

Zack is in tier 2 in top billing for directors after tier 1 guys like Nolan or Spielberg who can do whatever the fuck they want. For someone whose barely made any movies, asking to get paid more than Zack is completely insane. The fact that she's getting that shows some meteoric rise for a movie director (assuming the guy that said she's only directed 3 movies is correct).

EDIT: I checked. The previous post above is wrong according to wiki. WW is her fourth movie she's ever directed, with WW the first ever blockbuster movie. And you're complaining that she should get paid more than what the wealthiest directors get? Not sure why people focus on dumb negatives when they should be impressed how much she rose after a single movie.

I enjoyed 300, even though it was plainly very trashy. I didn't enjoy Watchmen. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole was shit. I never saw Sucker Punch.

I don't know why Nolan suggested Zack Snyder for Man of Steel. Probably because of Watchmen, which was a terrible idea, because that seems to encompass everything that was wrong with Man of Steel, with Watchmen being a deconstruction of superhero comics made by a comic artist who hated superhero comics (doesn't that just scream Superman?).

I don't know why WB catapulted Snyder up to the second tier of film directors, second only to the likes of Spielberg and Nolan, based on the trash that was Man of Steel. Was it Man of Steel's box office? It was probably Man of Steel's box office.

Wonder Woman was like water in a desert after the string of Snyder-led trash that was Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad. Oh and, her box office is apparently $815 million on a budget of $150 million. Compared to Man of Steel's $670 million on a budget of $225 million.

Zack Snyder doesn't deserve his pay. Patty Jenkins does.

I just thought it was funny to see a statement of "This woman is getting paid almost as much money as a man, for doing the exact same job only better. Take that, glass ceiling!"

I enjoyed 300, even though it was plainly very trashy. I didn't enjoy Watchmen. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole was shit. I never saw Sucker Punch.

I don't know why Nolan suggested Zack Snyder for Man of Steel. Probably because of Watchmen, which was a terrible idea, because that seems to encompass everything that was wrong with Man of Steel, with Watchmen being a deconstruction of superhero comics made by a comic artist who hated superhero comics (doesn't that just scream Superman?).

I don't know why WB catapulted Snyder up to the second tier of film directors, second only to the likes of Spielberg and Nolan, based on the trash that was Man of Steel. Was it Man of Steel's box office? It was probably Man of Steel's box office.

Wonder Woman was like water in a desert after the string of Snyder-led trash that was Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad. Oh and, her box office is apparently $815 million on a budget of $150 million. Compared to Man of Steel's $670 million on a budget of $225 million.

I just thought it was funny to see a statement of "This woman is getting paid almost as much money as a man, for doing the exact same job only better. Take that, glass ceiling!"

These thing don't revolve around your personal opinion. It's not terribly difficult to comprehend. However, taking a thread about Patty Jenkins becoming the highest paid female director with her third feature film and turning it into a misinformed Zack Snyder rant, is.

I have no idea why the hell she would be tempted to jump to Star Wars when Wonder Woman is basically her baby now and she'll likely have way more creative freedom.

Plenty of directors adore Star Wars and under difficult circumstances, I could see Patty Jenkins doing a Star Wars movie. She still might in the future. Taking over Star Wars 9 where it's at, yeah, probably not worth it for her.

Although in fairness, the situation Star Wars 9 is in is not unlike Wonder Woman's when she came onto that project, replacing Michelle MacLaren. Obviously Patty is in a far better position now, and she had wanted to make Wonder Woman a decade earlier, so it was a serendipitous situation for her.

AndyVirus

They got some balls sticking it at Episode IX's potential release date.
They'll only panic if IX gets moved (and all they will do is bring WW forward 2 or 3 weeks to counter that). Right now they're fine.

EDIT: Actually that would put it against Frozen lol. Maybe even earlier than that.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They'll only panic if IX gets moved (and all they will do is bring WW forward 2 or 3 weeks to counter that). Right now they're fine.

EDIT: Actually that would put it against Frozen lol. Maybe even earlier than that.
Frozen is atleast a couple weeks away.

Cheerilee

These thing don't revolve around your personal opinion. It's not terribly difficult to comprehend. However, taking a thread about Patty Jenkins becoming the highest paid female director with her third feature film and turning it into a misinformed Zack Snyder rant, is.

I've explained my somehow-controversial, completely on-topic statement at length (yes, it's obviously based in part on my opinion), and you can't comprehend why I bothered to explain myself?

Okay.

MoS' initial reception wasn't as harsh as BvS. Plus, it fit the mold WB wanted the Superman character to take which was as far away from the Superman that was in Returns. They've been wanting to have a more power aggressive Superman for a long time. Of course it's beginning to backfire on them.

Cheerilee

MoS' initial reception wasn't as harsh as BvS. Plus, it fit the mold WB wanted the Superman character to take which was as far away from the Superman that was in Returns. They've been wanting to have a more power aggressive Superman for a long time. Of course it's beginning to backfire on them.

Things really came crashing down on the Snyderverse after BvS hit, but when the opening act of one movie is a giant apology for how tone deaf the climax of your previous movie was, that's an indicator that the previous movie really had deep problems.

Wonder Woman's a better movie than Man of Steel was, and Wonder Woman made more bank than Man of Steel did.

I think it's fair for Zack to have been paid more for MoS than Patty was for WW, based on their respective histories, but Patty deserves more than Zack on a BvS vs WW2 comparison.

Things really came crashing down on the Snyderverse after BvS hit, but when the opening act of one movie is a giant apology for how tone deaf the climax of your previous movie was, that's an indicator that the previous movie really had deep problems.

Wonder Woman's a better movie than Man of Steel was, and Wonder Woman made more bank than Man of Steel did.

I think it's fair for Zack to have been paid more for MoS than Patty was for WW, based on their respective histories, but Patty deserves more than Zack on a BvS vs WW2 comparison.
We'll have to see what her paycheck is with the sequel before making that judgement. I think we also need to take into considering that WB isn't using WW to build a universe, despite it being better than Snyder's movies.

Ross61

Where was this?

a916

Snyder led SS?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Where was this?

You going to ignore how the big opening setpiece of BvS is the film going "Oh... I suppose that fight from Man of Steel was pretty fucked up and destructive, huh? Ummm... WELL WHAT IF BATMAN WAS DOWN THERE AND IS ALL MAD NOW?!"

Which hey, if that was their mission from the start, then cool. But Man of Steel certainly doesn't frame it that way or really set that up, and Snyder's reaction to the backlash is "WELL WHY DOES STAR WARS GET TO KILL PEOPLE BUT I CAN'T KILL PEOPLE?!" It paints a pretty fucking clear picture that if he did have that intent from the start to have these movies tackle the arc of humanity's fear of Superman, with a specific emphasis of Man of Steel to portray Clark's recklessness as a catalyst for things to come, he fumbled it horribly.

You going to ignore how the big opening setpiece of BvS is the film going "Oh... I suppose that fight from Man of Steel was pretty fucked up and destructive, huh? Ummm... WELL WHAT IF BATMAN WAS DOWN THERE AND IS ALL MAD NOW?!"

Which hey, if that was their mission from the start, then cool. But Man of Steel certainly doesn't frame it that way or really set that up, and Snyder's reaction to the backlash is "WELL WHY DOES STAR WARS GET TO KILL PEOPLE BUT I CAN'T KILL PEOPLE?!" It paints a pretty fucking clear picture that if he did have that intent from the start to have these movies tackle the arc of humanity's fear of Superman, with a specific emphasis of Man of Steel to portray Clark's recklessness as a catalyst for things to come, he fumbled it horribly.

To be fair he had the military be very suspicious of Superman's activities.

Apt101

I can't wait to see where they go with this. I kind of want another period piece - maybe the 60's or 70's. But I also really want a modern WW film with other DC characters. Either way Patty is going to be getting them g's, and well deserved.

I can't wait to see where they go with this. I kind of want another period piece - maybe the 60's or 70's. But I also really want a modern WW film with other DC characters. Either way Patty is going to be getting them g's, and well deserved.

What'll be interesting to see is if they do another period piece set around the Cold War, will they bookend/frame it as a modern day flashback again. Or some story about an old foe returning, intercutting past and present scenes.

Boem

Wait how did this thread move so quickly from news that Jenkins got a nice multi million dollar deal to make WW2 to insane rants about how someone hates Snyder so much? Jeez what a mess.

Let Jenkins have her moment in the sun. She just became a multi millionair and she's gonna make another fun movie.

TaterTots

Banned
open with her busting the Hitler bunker
rest of the movie is extralegal undercover super-ops during the cold war
just don't end it with good energy beam vs evil energy beam

Why do some people complain about this? From the beginning of the movie it was pretty obvious there would be a showdown. It was the whole point.

Glad she is back on board.

Ashhong

Wait how did this thread move so quickly from news that Jenkins got a nice multi million dollar deal to make WW2 to insane rants about how someone hates Snyder so much? Jeez what a mess.

Let Jenkins have her moment in the sun. She just became a multi millionair and she's gonna make another fun movie.

You must be new to DCEU threads. I mean, the very first reply started it lol

TaterTots

Banned

She wasn't a multi millionaire before?

Again. You're focusing on this weird negative narrative. Snyder was in charge of bigger properties for CMB universe and had a hell lot more cache than she did. He's going to get paid a ton.

It's just a very ridiculous complaint. People should be applauding the massive $ she rightfully is making. If she somehow made the DK of WW (don't see it happening.. but if), she will have a ton of power and continue to make even more money than before.

8 mil is a lot for directors, back end percentage is also a lot
Her writing the movie is also a big thing

Anyone saying this is low is weird/not really that knowledgeable

Top Bottom