• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GAF: I could Really use some help. A free Steam game goes to the GAFFER with a fix

kamspy

Alright.

I woke up this morning. New games still crashed. Last night I queued up some old school games for download. SWAT 4, Far Cry, Chaos Theory.

I decided I would do the thing that I hoped I wouldn't have to do - call my old devices professor. :O

This guy thrives off the failure of his former students (not really, he just makes sure you hear about it:p)

So while I was talking to him, he wanted the exact wording of the error.

OK I thought. No problemo. Just try to launch Warhead. and it launched. Pfft. Random! I thought. Let's launch L4D2. It launched. Fuck. Bad Company 2! This will NEVER launch. Launched.

Then he asked if I had a wireless card in my PC. I said yes. Then he told me I was welcome.

shamylan.jpg

So far, so good.

Did you try to clean out the fan?

Last year my computer kept crashing while I played high end games, just like you. I tried everything, right down to reformating. Right when I was about to give up, I noticed that the computer only crashed when it ran really hot, and it was some of the hottest days in summer.

A quick blow of canned air to the fan got out caked on dust. It turned out, the fan wasn't spinning nerely fast enough to do it.

Now with proper fan matinence, it doesn't crash at all.

Sometimes the simplest things are the way to go.

kamspy

balladofwindfishes said:
Did you try to clean out the fan?

Last year my computer kept crashing while I played high end games, just like you. I tried everything, right down to reformating. Right when I was about to give up, I noticed that the computer only crashed when it ran really hot, and it was some of the hottest days in summer.

A quick blow of canned air to the fan got out caked on dust. It turned out, the fan wasn't spinning nerely fast enough to do it.

Now with proper fan matinence, it doesn't crash at all.

Sometimes the simplest things are the way to go.

Which fan are you talking about? The only thing I haven't thoroughly cleaned is my GPU because the it has shroud on it that voids the warranty if removed.

CPU heatsink just got completely cleaned out about a month ago when I repasted the proc.

kamspy said:
Which fan are you talking about? The only thing I haven't thoroughly cleaned is my GPU because the it has shroud on it that voids the warranty if removed.

CPU heatsink just got completely cleaned out about a month ago when I repasted the proc.
Clean all of them?

I have a laptop, so it might be different. I only have one fan.

Top Bottom