• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: "The Metaverse is bullshit"

Catphish

I just made this post in another thread:

I feel like the metaverse is an unavoidable certainty. The only thing that might undermine its arrival and existence would be some kind of global catastrophe.

With the amount of time that modern humans voluntarily spend holding a screen in their hand, it doesn't take much of a leap to consider the mass transition to lightweight, wireless, high-definition headsets/glasses, be it for AR, VR, or both. This migration to AR/VR will, in my opinion, be the start of the next evolutionary chapter for humans, for better or worse.

The culmination will be akin to Ready Player One, I think. A massive multiverse of human creation, from productivity to entertainment, to education, to play, and everywhere in between.

And from there, the progression from externally-applied gear, like headsets/glasses, to direct brain augmentation/manipulation. Maybe something on your head, maybe something in your head. After all, why bother with clunky haptic gloves and bodysuits, when you can interface directly with the brain?

I doubt I'll live long enough to see it all become the stuff of my imagination, but I'm hoping it at least gets a solid foundation down before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Regardless, the metaverse is coming. And with it, a fundamental shift in how humanity lives. Like with all things, there will be good and bad. But be, they will.

And then refresh and see the title of this one. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Books aren't getting more engaging.
Movies aren't getting more engaging.
TV isn't getting more engaging.
Music isn't getting more engaging.

Games are getting more engaging at a blistering rate.

The metaverse is inevitable unless government regulation steps in.

Algan

The article is ignoring the unique experiences the metaverse can provide.

metaverse-845896.jpg

Vick

Who are those real people? You mean those people who use tiktok, and do some dumb shit dances? Because this metaverse is something they would like.
Sadly, you're right.

Still, hope with every fiber of my being that fucking psycho won't get to be the God he wants to be. Because that's what Metaverse is, Zuckerberg being a God. With real religions brought into this, and virtual churches, hearing prayers and what not. Sickness.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Sadly, you're right.

Still, hope with every fiber of my being that fucking psycho won't get to be the God he wants to be. Because that's what Metaverse is, Zuckerberg being a God. With real religions brought into this, and virtual churches, hearing prayers and what not. Sickness.
Mark Zuckerberg GIF by Our Cartoon President

Does anyone else feel like this is just some gimmicky buzzword trash to pump up investors and quell anti-trust regulators so that guys like Phil Spencer can push monopolistic agendas?

Microsoft is nowhere near a monopoly. Game devs are a dime a dozen.

reinking

Gold Member
No its not. Its the future. whether you like it or, it would come fast.

The difference is, this tech is from real world. People who dont give a crap about gaming, and want to have fun. You know Casuals. There is no stopping for this train.
Unless they get it on the phone I don't think the "casuals" are going to care.

I didn’t read past the first paragraph with its glaring grammatical errors. If the author can’t be bothered to proofread his rant, I won’t hold my breath waiting for a persuasive argument.

kingfey

Banned
Unless they get it on the phone I don't think the "casuals" are going to care.
Its already on the phone. VR head sets, which uses your phone.

Quest2 is the bridge for that.

It wont happen overnight though. It needs tiktok boost like. Its missing that specific tick.

reinking

Gold Member
Its already on the phone. VR head sets, which uses your phone.

Quest2 is the bridge for that.

It wont happen overnight though. It needs tiktok boost like. Its missing that specific tick.
They don't care about strapping VR on their heads. The only way it works for the casual group is maybe AR and at most wearing glasses.

TheContact

The “metaverse” has existed since the early 2000s with games like second life and entropia. With with increase in VR tech, it’s inevitable the “metaverse” is going to be something we all have to accept the same way we did the internet.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The metaverse as a concept isn't bullshit, but it isn't that meaningful either. It's like inventing the internet versus the actual proliferation and evolution of the world wide web. One is just concept and architecting and the other involves actually making something people want to engage with.

The metaverse isn't gonna matter until people start making shit people actually want to play and do. Shared spaces in VR are compelling, but the metaverse can't just be a lobby for people to hang out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The “metaverse” has existed since the early 2000s with games like second life and entropia. With with increase in VR tech, it’s inevitable the “metaverse” is going to be something we all have to accept the same way we did the internet.

Epic is literally building a metaverse in the form of Fortnite right in front of everyone without VR

VR is decades out before we get anything like ready player one or Sword art online until we get like a normal COD game in VR VR will forever be in this mimicked the MetaVerse is pretty much that Hangout VR game that one steam

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Nerds who like to dress up as Furries and spend 24/7 online thinking that the vast majority of normal people want to put on big fucking googles and walk around some shit roblox inspired playground being bombarded with adverts whilst spending real money on stupid digital items for their floaty pink princess avatar... catch a fucking grip.. aye maybe in 50yrs when the tech is as seemless as putting on a pair of lightweight glasses and is pretty much indistinguishable from the real world the hordes will move over but if you think actual people will want to do it in droves... well i got a fucking bridge to sell you

Papacheeks

Banned
The Meta verse, Facebook, and inventions similar are made by people who are in essence antisocial.

People who feel more at home with keystrokes and code rather than having to interact.

Zuckerberg if you watch him, similar to Elon musks mannerisms are anti social. Musk supposedly has Asperger’s or whatever. But a lot of his tech is so people don’t have to interact with cars, people in the future. Chips in your head and all that.

It’s troubling to say the least.
Meta verse is stupid. I can see something being used for holodecks, holograms in work environment for future work force in engineering. But for kids to interact with one another is scary. They already are glued to twitch/YouTube watching Fortnite and shit.

People as parents need to speak up and actually be parents. Do more stuff with your kids.

Last edited:

TonyK

No its not. Its the future. whether you like it or, it would come fast.

The difference is, this tech is from real world. People who dont give a crap about gaming, and want to have fun. You know Casuals. There is no stopping for this train.
I don't know anyone. Anyone. That wants or have asked for this.

Yes, we like cyberpunk fantasies with people connected trough VR, but in the same way that we like Mad Max universe what that doesn't mean we want that reality for us.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Eating, drinking, fucking are the core of social interaction.

Metaverse is lacking.
Seeing and hearing is just a fraction of reality. Also the content will always be missing the deep diversity of real life.

Last edited:
I’m sure the metaverse will have its place, just like current MMOs have their place. But do I think it will dominate the online landscape and gaming? Absolutely not. I’m not convinced that most people want to be cut off from the real world like that.

Banjo64

cumsessed
People just want to sit on a couch with a wireless pad in hand and play an FPS or sports games. Feel free to invest billions trying to ram shit down our throats but you can’t reinvent the wheel.

Haggard

Banned
If we ever get to the point where we have technology available on the level of "ghost in the shell" or at least "ready player one" the whole metaverse thing might work until then it's just a very idiotic buzzword with zero substance.
VR/AR headsets do not have mass appeal nor are they in any form more practical than a simple screen.
The only "metaverse" we're going to see in our lifetime is the usual "glued to a screen" crowd... So... Us, now.

Guilty_AI

I mean, he's not wrong. The metaverse already exists essentially, and has existed for a long time now.

Big tech corporations are essentially trying to sell you something you're already part of anyway, except its their own limited version of it where they are in control.

Top Bottom