• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: "The Metaverse is bullshit"

Concern

Metaverse is like forums, but in 3D.
How long till Neogaf-verse?

I'll sign up for that just to watch the fights here since people love personal insults behind a keyboard.

Self Defense Fighting GIF

kingfey

Banned
I don't know anyone. Anyone. That wants or have asked for this.

Yes, we like cyberpunk fantasies with people connected trough VR, but in the same way that we like Mad Max universe what that doesn't mean we want that reality for us.
Sadly this is where humans are going for. When you are so advanced, you start making weird shit.

This tech if used right though, could make learning much easier. You can learn alot of things, without spending alot of money on expensive equipment's. It could advance the human race, at lighting speed.

The internet advanced us so fast in 25 years, compared to books.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
People (both the out of touch idiots hating on VR and AR in general based on this concept and people actually into it for similar out of touch reasons) imagine Matrix/Ready Player One but anything like this is just not going to happen folks, no singular corporation will be able to provide the ultimate digital world product that can do basically anything so that everyone will want to join in. We'll end up (some already are) calling metaverse simply everything we already do online/digitally in separate apps, games, services, whether for entertainment or professionally, etc., like Web 3 or whatever. But sure, some folks will still be scammed by some Second Life VR crap that will also be numerous, each with its own community, NFTs, land masses to buy and be all around a shit product, shit service, made to money grab, but those into it will always pimp it as the best thing ever in much the same way. Noone called Second Life or even some super popular MMORPGs that did seem to offer enough of a fantasy life for some to get lost in a metaverse but nowadays everyone making anything that has some online capability and customisability calls their crap it. Hell, Facebook/Meta that made it trendy to call such stuff metaverses have only shown some rudimentary RecRoom knock off that is even less fun and capable than that (never mind stuff like VRChat) and is still segmented between Home, Worlds and Workgroups apps.

Not to mention so many companies trying their hand at it don't even attempt to make something compelling, a utopia if you will, but rather convert all the worst aspects of the real world into the digital where they could be aleviated, like scarcity of products, classes, etc., just for money. And some somehow get excited for that, because slaving away in and/or for one life isn't enough, you gotta to it in/for two. Anyway, it's just marketing at this point, started by Facebook taking the Meta name on and claiming to work towards that and maintained by the scammer crypto blockchain NFT bros.

VR is great. AR has its uses as well. We will see much more of both in the upcoming years with XR. But none of that will suddenly mean we have a metaverse in any sense beyond marketing PR bullshit looking for its next buzz word. We'll never have a digital universe like The Matrix, thankfully 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Zuckerberg just shows what a power hungry cunt he is. He could have done good things with his money and power, but he just wants to make the "next big thing" for his own ego.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
This tech if used right though, could make learning much easier. You can learn alot of things, without spending alot of money on expensive equipment's.
Whats the difference to now? The screen is just closer to your eyes and it's 3D. I don't get your point.

kingfey

Banned
Whats the difference to now? The screen is just closer to your eyes and it's 3D. I don't get your point.
Its about the perception.

You have monitor screen Infront of you. It means nothing that much. But once it has touch control, it changes everything for you. You can interact with monitor with your hands, compared to just being limited with mouse and keyboard. and the things you can do with your hands, can do wonders.

That is what VR essentially is. You are interacting with 3d environment. With MS AR tools, you can actually interact with objects with your hands. You can make it big, small, expand it and have freedom usage for that object. This is crucial aspect, if you are an artist person. Crucial in medical field, mechanical field, chemical field, networking, engineering.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Its about the perception.

You have monitor screen Infront of you. It means nothing that much. But once it has touch control, it changes everything for you. You can interact with monitor with your hands, compared to just being limited with mouse and keyboard. and the things you can do with your hands, can do wonders.

That is what VR essentially is. You are interacting with 3d environment. With MS AR tools, you can actually interact with objects with your hands. You can make it big, small, expand it and have freedom usage for that object. This is crucial aspect, if you are an artist person. Crucial in medical field, mechanical field, chemical field, networking, engineering.

But you won't feel the weight, the texture, the temperature,... of the objects. And it's not like we are limited to mouse and keyboard currently.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Social media is fucking terrible. It is largely a method of feeding ads to people. Some of the things explode in popularity are utter trash. Misinformation, manipulation, and bigotry are more valuable than the truth if they can be wrapped in a package that will trend. Making it more abstract is not going to make it great. It is just going to amount to having more disgusting assholes behaving like piles of shit online, only now they have a fancy avatar.

Fuck Zuckerberg. Facebook profits heavily off of feeding people scam ads. There are so many adds that are clearly targeting stupid people with things that are too good to be true. They make billions, but somehow can't afford to police this shit.... Bullshit. They don't care and will let anything fly if they can make a buck from it.

rolandss

One thing I’ve learned is no matter how much I dismiss shit like this I always get surprised at how many dumb losers go in on it. There’s heaps of bizarre internet trends I never think would make money but they do. Like simps donating money to streamer girls and people using real money to buy NFT shit. I don’t think it’ll be the evolution it’s being hyped to be though, just another way to rob people who can ill afford it of their money.

kingfey

Banned
Social media is fucking terrible. It is largely a method of feeding ads to people. Some of the things explode in popularity are utter trash. Misinformation, manipulation, and bigotry are more valuable than the truth if they can be wrapped in a package that will trend. Making it more abstract is not going to make it great. It is just going to amount to having more disgusting assholes behaving like piles of shit online, only now they have a fancy avatar.

Fuck Zuckerberg. Facebook profits heavily off of feeding people scam ads. There are so many adds that are clearly targeting stupid people with things that are too good to be true. They make billions, but somehow can't afford to police this shit.... Bullshit. They don't care and will let anything fly if they can make a buck from it.
People this way for a long time. We are just seeing it in a digital world. The level people would go, to make other people's live miserable, while profiting from it.

VR is the future, but not through Facebook. Facebook purposely is making their new occulus headsets so that they are hard to work with if you want to use any software you didn't download in their store. Valve headsets are better, especially if you want to do anything interesting.

VR satisfies social needs without the same risks as normal social contact. People are only going to need to socialize more in the future and our society will not create a healthy landscape for that to happen. I don't know how common it is, but I have what they call "phantom sense." Basically if I touch something or someone in vr it feels real to me. Same with eye contact, it feels like I'm really looking into someones eyes and they are in the room with me.

One of my VR friends says Facebook has been testing ads on quest. I told him if I get an ad when I'm trying to have a conversation with him I will take a sledgehammer to my quest. I think Facebook is the kind of company that would ruin a good thing by doing business in a sleezy way.

Last edited:

Three

I don't know anyone. Anyone. That wants or have asked for this.

Yes, we like cyberpunk fantasies with people connected trough VR, but in the same way that we like Mad Max universe what that doesn't mean we want that reality for us.

Exactly this shit already existed in Second Life or Playstation Home. It can take off but I don't know if it's actually going to be popular with the masses.

VR is the future, but not through Facebook. Facebook purposely is making their new occulus headsets so that they are hard to work with if you want to use any software you didn't download in their store. Valve headsets are better, especially if you want to do anything interesting.

VR satisfies social needs without the same risks as normal social contact. People are only going to need to socialize more in the future and our society will not create a healthy landscape for that to happen. I don't know how common it is, but I have what they call "phantom sense." Basically if I touch something or someone in vr it feels real to me. Same with eye contact, it feels like I'm really looking into someones eyes and they are in the room with me.

One of my VR friends says Facebook has been testing ads on quest. I told him if I get an ad when I'm trying to have a conversation with him I will take a sledgehammer to my quest. I think Facebook is the kind of company that would ruin a good thing by doing business in a sleezy way.
If a stranger in real life try to sell you something on the street, you would run away. Same with ads in VR. Ads only work when the target is not given a choice to move away and if you can't have that freedom then you wouldn't want to be there.

As many people have already mentioned, what Meta/Facebook want to create is effectively an online community. But that is not new or original; every kind of community already exists online. People don't hang out with strangers, they hang out with strangers with at least similar interests. Meta was trying to be a popular MMO videogame without the actual game being fun.

Meta wants the power that gaming communities grants them, but to do that they would need to create a widely popular game. And there is no easy way to do that for ANY company.

SkylineRKR

Its another trick to get advertising in front of the huge crowd. They want you to interact with their stuff, buy their decorations, sign up to their ecosystems and then you can no-life with a huge group of other no lifers.

Its VR social media, which means there is more potential to sell stuff as you have graphics in front of you.

Look .hack is cool and all but I don't think normals really want to put on a headset all day.

And who is going to be normal in the future? My belief is that we are currently living out the end of a golden age and that the future is bleak for the average person. To the extent there are normals left they'll be running to vr to vent about their jobs and all the problems they can't anywhere else. The fact that you can be anonymous, means you get to talk to people who will express their unfiltered opinions.

The social scene that creates the conception you have of a normal person has largely died. There are no normies in the future.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Oh, look. Some fuel for the vr fanatics.

Metaverse is shit and will hopefully be more niche than vr.

Metaverse won’t get my dick sucked.

That's actually where you are wrong. VR social applications are very appealing to women. In VR a woman can have flawless skin that she can customize. Also the fact that they can block you for being a dick means it is less socially risky than doing the same kinds of social activities in the real world. Any insecurities a woman has socially can easily be addressed in vr in a way that it cannot be in the real world. Women also like to be creative with their appearance, and how they present themselves.

My best friend met his girlfriend who he is living with on discord. There is way more sex that is starting with people meeting online these days.

Kuranghi

Almost every profile by women on dating sites:

"...I really just miss hugs/cuddles..."

I don't think thats going to be a good thing for us to lean into tbh, we need to be out there giving more cuddles, clearly.

HarryKS

On one hand, I know it won't be as successful as they hope, but on the other, I know it'll attract the dregs of society, and there's lots of them.

Second Life 2.

Fbh

One thing I find weird is how every company is talking as if this stuff was imminently coming in the near future....as I see it maybe in 10 years?
The hardware still isn't there, VR is still bulky, constrained by battery, socially isolating from those physically around you, and makes a lot of people sick. Hell even some tech savy "hardcore" gamers I know kinda burn out on it after 2 hours and need a break.

If this is to truly be the "new internet" and "new social media" it has to appeal to more than just zoomers and tech savy millenials. It'd need to be something I can picture my dad or my sister using daily....and so far it's not it

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No its not. Its the future. whether you like it or, it would come fast.

The difference is, this tech is from real world. People who dont give a crap about gaming, and want to have fun. You know Casuals. There is no stopping for this train.
….no stopping this train until the gimmick novelty wears off and the casuals’ headsets are collecting dust next to their Wii

kingfey

Banned
….no stopping this train until the gimmick novelty wears off and the casuals’ headsets are collecting dust next to their Wii
They will serve their purpose, by providing more data.
The end game for this, is to have devices like sunglasses. These take time, and data.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I know the metaverse is something I'll never care about, much like how facebook felt like homework and twitter gives me a headache. You can call that out of touch, but I think we will all have significantly reduced mental health if we constantly and frequently imbibe even more social media. Just look how frantic, polarized, and parasocial everyone has become? Maybe it is inevitable, but it won't be for me. And maybe 30+ y/o's are already seen as being the horse-and-buggy of the digital world, but I wouldn't assume all wisdom is a young man's game either.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If you look at the things that the “normies” do with tech, it’s like the exact opposite of “metaverse”. They want to do things that give them instant gratification and that dish out little dopamine hits with as little effort + commitment on their part as possible.

Whip their phone out of their pocket, take a selfie, check out if they got some likes/comments, maybe play some dumb game on their tiny screen in portrait mode for a few minutes.

They don’t want to clear out their damn room and put on a headset and get fully immersed in some virtual world. That’s like the kind of thing that nerds imagine normal people want.

kingfey

Banned
If you look at the things that the “normies” do with tech, it’s like the exact opposite of “metaverse”. They want to do things that give them instant gratification and that dish out little dopamine hits with as little effort + commitment on their part as possible.

Whip their phone out of their pocket, take a selfie, check out if they got some likes/comments, maybe play some dumb game on their tiny screen in portrait mode for a few minutes.

They don’t want to clear out their damn room and put on a headset and get fully immersed in some virtual world. That’s like the kind of thing that nerds imagine normal people want.
If you have put in VR, and checked what metaverse, you wouldnt have typed this.

That thing is exactly what you described here. Instant gratification, and more dopamine.

You only have to clear out a room if you have full body tracking and are doing something like dancing. Otherwise you only need a few feet or could even sit down.

Normies are a dying breed. They aren't making any more of them.

A.Romero

If we ever get to the point where we have technology available on the level of "ghost in the shell" or at least "ready player one" the whole metaverse thing might work until then it's just a very idiotic buzzword with zero substance.
VR/AR headsets do not have mass appeal nor are they in any form more practical than a simple screen.
The only "metaverse" we're going to see in our lifetime is the usual "glued to a screen" crowd... So... Us, now.

It will get there just as the Internet was very primitive in it's infancy and now it's full of media of all kinds. People are really bad at predicting the future, specially when considering advancement at exponential rate.

GermanZepp

That's actually where you are wrong. VR social applications are very appealing to women. In VR a woman can have flawless skin that she can customize. Also the fact that they can block you for being a dick means it is less socially risky than doing the same kinds of social activities in the real world. Any insecurities a woman has socially can easily be addressed in vr in a way that it cannot be in the real world. Women also like to be creative with their appearance, and how they present themselves.

My best friend met his girlfriend who he is living with on discord. There is way more sex that is starting with people meeting online these days.

"A British psychotherapist and researcher has reported being "virtually gang raped" on the Facebook metaverse. "Within 60 seconds of walking in, I was verbally and sexually harassed," she said.

just sharing i have no opinion on this
sauce

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This just sounds like a resurgence of 2nd Life for a new generation of losers that have nothing going for them in real life. Now they can create a new intelligent, successful, beautiful winner self and a totally fake new reality for themselves in the metaverse.

Top Bottom