• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc gaming has never been as good as it is today.

Guilty_AI

heck, even 18+ adult games on steam is a compelling factor for pc gaming lmao. those kind of games will never ever hit ps/xbox stores as they're trying to depict themselves as family friendly
reminds me they've released Rance recently on GOG ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

To be fair you’re making it out as if games crashing is a normal thing, with almost every game. It’s either major hyperbole or an issue with your PC.
Nah, was just pointing out my personal PC experience over a certain period compared with my experience on console.

From what I can see it's pretty common knowledge that modern PC ports have not been that hot recently. I pointed to Wild Hearts and Wo Long as very recent AAA examples where issues have been prevalent regardless of specs, hardly hyperbole. On the other end Atomic Hearts runs like a fucking dream, which also seems to be the common experience. You sure it's just my PC?

Trilobit

Nice opinion, OP, but PC gaming peaked with Commander Keen.

e336c711a2eb3e3f24418f81ecd55d66.png

Everything since has been alright.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I agree with you but cmon...who the heck pays for Windows?

Fair enough. So here's the build I put together using the specs (and prices) that were listed in the post I responded to.

Fun facts:
  • Nearly $450.00 more than a PS5 or Series X.
    • Not including shipping
  • Doesn't come assembled.
  • No keyboard, mouse or controller included.
(eagerly awaits the parts nit-picking and other cost-saving cuts that will lead everyone down the rabbit hole while avoiding the main, egregiously obvious point)

XsMQYFV.png

Last edited:

Chiggs

Easily a better build with a much stronger GPU

(eagerly awaits the parts nit-picking and other cost-saving cuts that will lead everyone down the rabbit hole while avoiding the main, egregiously obvious point)

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Hey, man...I went with what was outlined. Did you not catch that?

Slap in any $50-$60 PC ATX tower, there's plenty of choice.

Then why not include that in your tally? Kind of seems like you were trying to make your build look cheaper than it really is, which is a hallmark of any PC Gaming conversion-style argument.

And a $60 case? Wow, I bet that's going to be a real looker!

Keyboard and mouse? How are you typing on this forum?

Never heard of a laptop or Chromebook, I guess? Completely unreasonable that someone with one of those might want to build a gaming pc?

Oh, and do they no longer include controllers with the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S? Because you see, I was just trying to point out that you get everything you need with a console right in the box. I thought that would have been obvious, but here we are.

But I digress, I'm sure Little Johnny NewBuild can just ask his mom for an old keyboard and mouse from her late 90s Compaq Presario.

Don't forget to buy the $800k house that goes with the PC

Resorting to sarcastic extremes while straining to make a point? I've never encountered this strategy before! I'd best consult my Repartee Handbook.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Hey, man...I went with what was outlined. Did you not catch that?

And i'm pointing out a better build. Can't i?

You bothered to make a build without even finding a better solution? All that wasted effort.

Then why not include that in your tally? Kind of seems like you were trying to make your build look cheaper than it really is, which is a hallmark of any PC Gaming conversion-style argument.

And a $60 case? Wow, I bet that's going to be a real looker!

Easily - better - than - yours

Case are non factors in PC builds.

Never heard of a laptop or Chromebook, I guess? Completely unreasonable that someone with one of those might want to build a gaming pc?

You don't work at home either? Company has no budget for PC components? Even without that, a keyboard and mouse, console warriors cingling on this topic as if it make or break the budget

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

While..

VfBOlPHBuPYKOH839bA5G6ePaqGzyDiLuOLdZQs98Jk.jpg

In the meantime, you pay to play online, next gen you'll buy again the fucking patches to bring the games to PS6.

Oh, and do they no longer include controllers with the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S? Because you see, I was just trying to point out that you get everything you need with a console right in the box. I thought that would have been obvious, but here we are.

Why would there be a PC "box", pick whatever you want. You act as if the controller is "free", you pay for it, without choice..

Resorting to sarcastic extremes while straining to make a point? I've never encountered this strategy before! I'd best consult my Repartee Handbook.

Oh you're one to talk. We know what makes your day Chiggs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
1. You didn't factor in the cost of an SSD
2. You didn't factor in the cost of Windows
3. You didn't factor in the cost of a case or case fans
4. You're suggesting a 6 core processor in an era of games being developed for 8 core processors?
5. You arguably cheaped out on the PSU
6. And if the person has zero experience putting together the PC and something goes wrong?

I'm also assuming the person has a keyboard, mouse and controller just laying around their house, but if not...

An SSD is 50 dollars
Windows is free
Your motherboard comes with a case
6 fast cores does the job just as well as 8, 10, 16 or 30.....in fact if you use procmon youll see that 13900s actually end up sleeping most of their cores because games still use a master thread and worker threads, but CPUs today are so fast worker threads end up being 4 or 5 threads deep at most. 8 or more cores does nothing for gaming.
I didnt cheap out on the PSU...its just not modular.
Keyboard/mouse.....literally can be found in dumpsters, those are such small costs i dont even bother counting them,

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Fair enough. So here's the build I put together using the specs (and prices) that were listed in the post I responded to.

Fun facts:
  • Nearly $450.00 more than a PS5 or Series X.
    • Not including shipping
  • Doesn't come assembled.
  • No keyboard, mouse or controller included.

XsMQYFV.png

Hahahaha you bought a 100 dollar case and 100 dollars worth of fans?
Then you go on to get a 5600X on a full ATX motherboard?

Never build a PC cuz you clearly dont know how.

Top Bottom