• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

april6e

I was wondering if someone who has used both the Rift S and Index to game on max settings, can tell me whether the resolution and overall experience are a large step above what the Rift S offers?

My Rift S just arrived but the Reverb G2 was suddenly announced which looks like it could become THE budget set to own with the incredible initial specs revealed. I now am hesitant to open the Rift S (as it would decrease resell value) and wait for the Reverb G2 which I already pre-ordered. But many of the games I want to play are exclusive to the Oculus eco system. Yes, I'm aware of Revive but if Oculus games won't run perfectly on the Reverb, I'd rather play them on the Rift S.

I own the PSVR and have been utterly disappointed in every aspect of it (except for Astro Bot/RE7, those run and look great on it). I'm afraid that the Rift S will not be as giant as a step up from the PSVR as I'm expecting and that the Reverb G2 will actually be what I was looking for in terms of wow factor (the Index is built similarly to it which is why I'm asking). Computer is i9-9900/16 GB/2080 Super if that matters.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Rift S is a giant step up from PSVR for sure, when you factor both visuals and the hand tracking. I wouldn't call Reverb G2 budget, it's already ~200 more than the Rift S (MSRP, never mind scalpers) which itself is beyond many people's budget (so stuff like Samsung Odyssey discounted to ~250 was great). No set, including the G2, will be as clear as a 4K flat screen from ~0,5m distance if you're expecting that. But yes it's a bit step up from the Rift S. Hopefully the tracking is on par rather than a downgrade, we'll see when impressions arrive comparing it to previous WMR/Rift S/Valve's. However, if image clarity is your top priority you should probably just return rather than resell your Rift S. If you're planning to resell it anyway I don't see how trying it once is going to reduce its value when you show the buyer the receipt and explain the situation and your switch to a pricier kit.

Last edited:
I got Journey of the Gods PC and played a bit. It's not really Zelda-like but it feels good. Nice yet simple combat systems between the sword and shield, crossbow and god powers you acquire. But it's not at all open (so far), you have a hub with a handful of NPCs and open up new areas in a preset sequence as each area is essentially an old school "stage" with one primary quest to complete before going back to the hub and opening a new area and maybe some bonus items off the beaten path. They mix and match some things but they're heavily combat focused, no real puzzling or anything. It feels good, it looks stylish, but, again, so far, it's not nearly of the caliber you might have expected by all the it's like a VR Zelda hype. It's good, I don't regret getting it and if it ever goes on sale I'd say it's a no brainer as the few things they do here they do them great. The different enemy types with their abilities and how you can counter them or exploit their weaknesses and so on. I've upgraded all my gear once so the sword is longer, the crossbow can fire more bolts in sequence and the shield is also larger so it's easier to block projectiles with it. I hope it does well and maybe a sequel can expand on everything and make it a true Zelda-like with puzzles, dungeons, some melee/humanoid enemies that can match your skill, maybe an interconnected overworld and such to give it some breadth and depth on top.
Yeah it's pretty good. I only played the first two stages but it's fun and nice looking.

Alexios

Yeah it's pretty good. I only played the first two stages but it's fun and nice looking.
I've finished it since that post, I was a bit miffed that when it ends, it ends, you can't go back to previous areas or whatever but have to start a new save or repeat the final sequence when you load the last. A great and polished little game worth its price overall anyway. It needs a bigger, better #2!

Last edited:
I've finished it since that post, I was a bit miffed that when it ends, it ends, you can't go back to previous areas or whatever but have to start a new save or repeat the final sequence when you load the last. A great and polished little game worth its price overall anyway. It needs a bigger, better #2!
Nice, have you played Asgard's Wrath? It's amazing.

Alexios

Nice, have you played Asgard's Wrath? It's amazing.
Didn't like it, I know lotsa people did, I'll get it again on some good sale, I refunded it when I stopped playing and saw I was under the 2 hour limit as the core feel of the combat and the way they seemed to design the environments, puzzles etc. early on at least didn't click for me :D

Last edited:
Didn't like it, I know lotsa people did, I'll get it again on some good sale, I refunded it when I stopped playing and saw I was under the 2 hour limit as the core feel of the combat and the way they seemed to design the environments, puzzles etc. early on at least didn't click for me :D

OMG it gets so much better after the first world. My jaw was on the floor from the second world on. Did you pass the first?

Alexios

I haven't played Lies Beneath. It looks cool but got mixed reviews...
Not really, critic reviews average fairly positive.
User reviews average 4.5-5 out of 5 stars (with over 700 on the Quest version and a mere 30 on the PC version so it's not like it's easily skewed because there are too few overall).

Last edited:

Alexios

Another B&S patch release, hopefully it fixes the issues some encountered with the last huge update :)

Last edited:

Resenge

is 128gb quest worth it over 64gb? It's the only one available now
Its not worth the extra 100 right now imo, no games really take advantage of the space unless you are going to fill it with videos. :messenger_winking:

64gb is plenty although I bought the 128 at launch and do not regret it. If you can't wait and have the cash then why not. Maybe games in the future will start using the space.

Last edited:

Alexios

Neat, I had no idea, happy birthday thread! DreamBack VR is out, it looks pretty good. Fingers crossed..!

Last edited:

Alexios

A nice look into the Pico Neo 2. I skipped right to the tracking impressions bit. I totally forgot (even though they did make a big deal out of it in all the product showings, ha) it uses a different non camera (and no external trackers) based method for the controller tracking and at least according to this not very in depth look into it, given the lack of games and software, it appears to do a great job. It definitely seems like a glimpse into the future, though it also has drawbacks compared to current products (input layout, comfort factor, the battery life) and it's not (yet?) meant for consumers.

Last edited:

Alexios

Hope they got something deep and involving cos just dogfights and stuff in PVP aren't interesting to me. Something like next gen Star Wars themed Allegiance. Too weird decision to not go campaign focused. Even the fabled X-Wing series faltered when it went PVP with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Last edited:

Romulus

I really liked Eve Valkyrie for what it was, but this seems to have an actual singleplayer even though it isn't the biggest focus. Anyway, more Star Wars is good for VR as a whole.

Alexios

I think this is the only VR thing from the PC Gamer Show. I'm glad it's alive, updates have been scarce :)

2-3 days left for the Upload VR show that will have a TON of goodies (I've not posted the confirmations).

Last edited:

Alexios

Dang, Crunch Element is evolving hard and fast. Home base looks inspired by Deep Rock Galactic.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

The preshow is going live now, check back in 30 mins for the real deal (9AM PT / 12PM ET / 5PM BST).

The Upload VR Showcase: Summer Edition is VR’s official dedicated Showcase, announcing new games and experiences as well as debuting new trailers and features for both the titles you love and the ones you can’t wait to play.

We’ll have new game announcements from some of VR’s biggest studios, like Fast Travel Games. Plus there are updates on some of the best titles to release in the past few years, like Pistol Whip. Oh, and we’ll be getting fresh looks at some of the most anticipated titles on the horizon, like the very first gameplay of Resolution Games’ Blaston and the latest look at Low-Fi. Overall we’ll be showing over 20 games and experiences, so there’s bound to be something to your taste.

We’ll then return to our Upload VR Studio for an aftershow discussion alongside one of our friends from Polyarc, creators of Moss, who are sponsoring the showcase. You better keep an eye out for Quill throughout the show, she’ll pop up when you least expect it!

So, just to recap: bookmark this page because at 8:30am PT/11:30am ET/4:30pm BT we run our pre-show, counting down to the main event at 9am PT/12pm ET/5pm BT!

Last edited:

Alexios

Update: It's over, all the separate trailers can be viewed here. It wasn't as big as their E3 and Holiday shows.
Cosmophobia, Vertigo Remaster and Panther VR becoming available in early access were the highlights I suppose.

Here's the VR section of the Steam Game Festival for more VR hype :p
Loads of games got demos too.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Zero Caliber Update: Player customization, massive graphics overhaul & more!
We overhauled the game's graphics, implemented player customization and Index finger tracking. But wait, there's more!

Alexios

Do check out the VR demos on the Steam Game Festival, there are some pretty neat things there like Blunt Force, Rinlo, Naau, Stargaze, Balsa Model Flight Sim, Welcome to Graymount, Paper Beast, The Arcane Tower and others. Playhouse got renamed to A Wake Inn, that's a neat name.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ok, the oculus refunded me S and now the 64gb quest is coming tomorrow.
I've had dk1,2,cv1, two S headsets.... but I never had a quest so this is exciting!

I wanted it for it's high resolution oled screen and easy of setup/easy cable management and wireless capabilities.
Aside from using it with PC (with charging cable I guess) and standalone, what else should I try. There is this thing called side quest? Anything else? Some tips and tricks?

Last edited:

Alexios

Sidequest is for stand-alone mode software that isn't approved by Oculus, like an unofficial store, like the Wii Homebrew Channel, to automatically download and install stuff rather than do it for each one individually manually. For stuff like Dr. Beef's Half-Life and Quake Quest ports but also some software that didn't get approved by Oculus or demos/early versions of stuff that will release in the future, whatever homebrew stuff Oculus don't support. It has instructions on its page for how to enable and use it. Wireless solutions are noticeably laggy according to Linus and others, even slight lag when using it wired but not enough to affect gameplay so it should be fine for anything. I'd stick with the official wired method with Oculus Link, so get a longer compatible usb cable than the one it comes with. I don't think it will be any easier to set up and use than the S, it acts like one when used for PC. I guess the first things to do would be to turn it on and follow the instructions for stand alone set up, update the software to the latest, get free Oculus stuff like Echo VR, and so on. Then decide (via some of the included demos too) if you like the 360 wireless freedom over PC fancy graphics and try to get some of the better Quest ports like Beat Saber, Superhot and Apex Construct if you haven't played them to death. Of course you'll wanna go PC for all the other stuff that have more critical graphics and features differences (or availability, not everything has a Quest port).

Granted software has been updated since, both for wired modes with Oculus Link and wireless unofficial solutions, Virtual Dekstop also supports wireless streaming like ALVR etc., so it's not necessarily indicative of everything, but I can't imagine it being 100% flawless now either. Try and see.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sidequest is for stand-alone mode software that isn't approved by Oculus, like an unofficial store, like the Wii Homebrew Channel, to automatically download and install stuff rather than do it for each one individually manually. For stuff like Dr. Beef's Half-Life and Quake Quest ports but also some software that didn't get approved by Oculus or demos/early versions of stuff that will release in the future, whatever homebrew stuff Oculus don't support. It has instructions on its page for how to enable and use it. Wireless solutions are noticeably laggy according to Linus and others, even slight lag when using it wired but not enough to affect gameplay so it should be fine for anything. I'd stick with the official wired method with Oculus Link, so get a longer compatible usb cable than the one it comes with. I don't think it will be any easier to set up and use than the S, it acts like one when used for PC. I guess the first things to do would be to turn it on and follow the instructions for stand alone set up, update the software to the latest, get free Oculus stuff like Echo VR, and so on. Then decide (via some of the included demos too) if you like the 360 wireless freedom over PC fancy graphics and try to get some of the better Quest ports like Beat Saber, Superhot and Apex Construct if you haven't played them to death. Of course you'll wanna go PC for all the other stuff that have more critical graphics and features differences (or availability, not everything has a Quest port).

Granted software has been updated since, both for wired modes with Oculus Link and wireless unofficial solutions, Virtual Dekstop also supports wireless streaming like ALVR etc., so it's not necessarily indicative of everything, but I can't imagine it being 100% flawless now either. Try and see.

Thanks. I've played most of the pc stuff on S and previous headsets. Still want to be able to play those with link. if the included cable sucks, then I can get the real link cable if I like the headset.
As for wireless pc, I will for sure try it. I have pc connected to router with wire and the network is 5ghz. All in the same room so best possible scenario.
Then there is official store
And then there is sidequest which as I understand, I have to fake I am a developer to install. Then I need to buy or download free games with possibility to load other stuff like half-life or doom

Resenge

Thanks. I've played most of the pc stuff on S and previous headsets. Still want to be able to play those with link. if the included cable sucks, then I can get the real link cable if I like the headset.
As for wireless pc, I will for sure try it. I have pc connected to router with wire and the network is 5ghz. All in the same room so best possible scenario.
Then there is official store
And then there is sidequest which as I understand, I have to fake I am a developer to install. Then I need to buy or download free games with possibility to load other stuff like half-life or doom
I recommend Virtual Desktop wireless app through sidequest. It looks a little murky compared to your Rift S and there is a tiny amount of latency but its hardly noticable and after a time you can get used to it. Wireless PCVR is awesome.

I also highly recommend you buy yourself a counter weight to help with the horrible fitting the Quest has. It's so front heavy and sits on your cheek bones a counter weight will help and is probably one of the biggest improvements you can do.

I use this as a counter weight and attached it to the back of the headset with these for example.

It has the added benefit of a much improved battery life if you connect it to your headset to charge.

Alexios

Sounds a bit nicer than expected after all. They have to try to fuck it up. They seem to have power management in, inertia in, in some capacity at least, different classes and some kind of objectives in mp even though it's still just 5 v 5, it has to be fun at worst, if not exactly have longevity. Also they've yet to confirm the leak rumblings before the announcement where people said it's "focused" on the multiplayer so perhaps the campaigns won't be so bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom