• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Some of the neater recent updates from the last page, check it out for much more, I can only embed 10!

Are they WMR controllers? Arent they meant to be pretty bad?
Watch the video, they have similar inputs but they're not the standard MS design outside the ring. Just like Samsung did their own with the Odyssey, HP redesigned them to more closely match the Oculus Touch, though they didn't add actual touch sensitivity and removed the WMR touchpad too.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yep. Seems like battery life and design (and for now corporate, not consumer focus) hold them back, but the tech has potential for almost lighthouse-quality tracking without the need for additional trackers/bases/whatever, not even HMD cameras (except for pass through and the HMD tracking).

Couple it with a smaller form factor, wireless connection to a PC as standard, made for that purpose rather than retrofit from basic wi fi chips and what not, and it seems like a possible definitive future for VR as a whole (with or without built-in chipset for stand alone use depending on the model).

Last edited:

Alexios

Wonder if a magnet protube would be impossible with these controllers
Occlusion supposedly doesn't matter for them, they track fine behind your back and everything, they don't rely on line of sight, so it should work depending on the materials used perhaps. Maybe the tube could even hold some additional battery life for them. Unless magnets fuck it up somehow.

Last edited:

INC

Occlusion supposedly doesn't matter for them, they track fine behind your back and everything, they don't rely on visual data, so it should work depending on the materials used perhaps.

Not visual occlusion I mean, protube have really strong magnets on the cups, cant help but feel that that would mess with the magnetic tracking

Alexios

Ya I added the magnet stuff at the end idk. I wanna see a tracking test of this form to see if G2 is on par.

Last edited:

Alexios

I'm in his AMA, it's on 2-minute break atm. Dude is pimping this hard, like the best VR kit choice so far. Apparently that's a pre-production kit and kept turning off so he didn't play longform games/long durations. Hopefully that doesn't happen on consumer units!

Got one answer, he said he did play actual FPS with no problem, he just used Rec Room for the video. It got busy so no more answers for me, nothing about how durable the cables are, if he has any info on the 4 cameras being a WMR new standard or just HP's.

Last edited:

INC

Yeh rec room isnt really fps tbh lol

Bit like buying a £500 wheel for driving games, and testing it with mario kart

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Maskmaker promises to be as mind-bending and puzzling as A Fisherman's Tale. Or as Transpose and Paper Beast for that matter.

solid puzzle games that really use the VR medium in original ways...

Resenge

Oh nice, back in the first few years of VR I was buying games like crazy, desperate for the next VR experience. Spent way too much money on crap and this was a game I bought when it first launched, played it for 7 mins according to my steam and didnt play it again. Maybe its time to try out the free remaster.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Oh nice, back in the first few years of VR I was buying games like crazy, desperate for the next VR experience. Spent way too much money on crap and this was a game I bought when it first launched, played it for 7 mins according to my steam and didnt play it again. Maybe its time to try out the free remaster.

It looked decent enough to try out when I watched Virtual Reality Oasis and Gamertag VR play it yesterday. There's still a bunch of games I haven't tried out yet because they haven't been on sale or aren't on Viveport Infinity.

I'm currently playing Arizona Sunshine because it takes up the most hard disk space (80GB) which is surprising because there's like three zombie models repeated over and over and low res textures all over everything in that game. Lining up headshots still fun though so whatever

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ahh DLC, I dont have any. I keep meaning to play coop on Arizona Sunshine so I haven't finished it.

it wasn't that. I think it was a glitch when they updated that the compressed data didnt get cleaned up. deleted it and redownloaded and it's about the same size as yours. I had another game with a huge install size (pagan peak) with the same problem

the viveport app is obviously nowhere near as good as steam but I got infinity for 2.00 a month on a deal so can't really complain when I got so many games/experiences for nearly nothing

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Some of the neater recent updates from the last page, check it out for much more, I can only embed 10!

Watch the video, they have similar inputs but they're not the standard MS design outside the ring. Just like Samsung did their own with the Odyssey, HP redesigned them to more closely match the Oculus Touch, though they didn't add actual touch sensitivity and removed the WMR touchpad too.

Horizon Vanguard is a fun one. It's old school arcade hard, but it feels like a mash up of classic arcade games in VR and it has that music and atmosphere down pat. I really like it.

Last edited:
a nice summary of the last 4 years since the VR revolution:

I've played many of the main indies available on psvr and while I very much appreciate the extra immersion native VR games give you in interacting with your surroundings, still most of my play time has been well spent in ports from flat games, like Skyrim, Dirt Rally, NMS and Borderlands 2 - we need more of this, it's borderline criminal that VR isn't as supported as 4K or wheels in racing games or in humanly paced FPS

It looked decent enough to try out when I watched Virtual Reality Oasis and Gamertag VR play it yesterday. There's still a bunch of games I haven't tried out yet because they haven't been on sale or aren't on Viveport Infinity.

I'm currently playing Arizona Sunshine because it takes up the most hard disk space (80GB) which is surprising because there's like three zombie models repeated over and over and low res textures all over everything in that game. Lining up headshots still fun though so whatever

I enjoyed AZ. Very decent game back then (actual level design and progression in a sea of VR wave shooters or arena games) and it's even lower res on psvr (only around 20GB).

didn't enjoy the first dlc but still to check The Damned, that one looks fine...

Shai-Tan

Banned

edit:

this dude thinks (hopes) it might be a lite version

Last edited:

Resenge

edit:

Hope this is more than just a lighter version, already spent a ton on mods to make my Quest feel more comfortable, I wont buy it if its just lighter and more comfortable.

Last edited:

INC

edit:

Same controllers, not a bad thing

Shai-Tan

Banned
Hope this is more than just a lighter version, already spent a ton on mods to make my Quest feel more comfortable, I wont buy it if its just lighter and more comfortable.

his hope was that this was a lite, cheaper version (to replace the GO I guess) and there was some other more expensive model

Oh man there are so many vr machines I dont know where to even begin lol like are the stores still separate so depending on what kit I get it limits what games I get?

Fuck I just built a nice beefy pc for vr and thought this would be the easy part, whoops

Alexios

English version of the ALTDEUS: Beyond Chronos video I posted earlier & random outlet Squadrons stuff.

Oh man there are so many vr machines I dont know where to even begin lol like are the stores still separate so depending on what kit I get it limits what games I get?

Fuck I just built a nice beefy pc for vr and thought this would be the easy part, whoops
Viveport and Steam are hardware agnostic, games will generally work with any (decent, popular, standards based) VR kit, Oculus included, the Oculus Store itself is still exclusive to Oculus kits (when viewed on PC it shows PC games, when viewed on Quest - without connecting it to a PC - whatever has been ported to/made for it natively) but Revive mostly solves that problem so others can play its (awesome) PC based exclusives. That info is also in the OP (roughly).

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom