• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PcGAF, I Need Help Upgrading My Rig

213372bu

Banned
For the life of me I've been trying to find different programs and articles to help me upgrade my system. While my rig isn't necessarily horrible, it takes lots of config/ini edits and effects removing to get my games running at a constant FPS.

I've been thinking to go and upgrade, but for the life of me, I'm not sure what individual components I should upgrade, and no amount of PC articles, or even GAF's own PC topic, has helped me in finding what exactly I should get that fit a couple of preferences.

Specs (Accourding to systemrequirementslab) :
8Ue2qzG.png

I'd like to know a few things :

• What should be the first thing I should upgrade?
  • What type of upgrade can I get a constant 60 FPS on High? Very High/Ultra?
  • I used to go back to newegg when I used to go build computers, are they still the best to go to for parts? Or have sites like Tiger Direct stepped up their game?

Some notes:
  • My storage memory is fine, I don't download a million things at a time.
  • I'm not exactly looking for the most expensive/new thing in the market.

Corpekata

Banned
Use PCPartPicker when you get down to looking for the actual parts, very useful site that compares prices and will help you get organized.

I'd honestly say you're looking at nearly the whole kit. Start with MOBO and CPU.

Grief.exe

Those components scream pre-built to me, so you would be better served by just building a new computer.

You will probably be able to reuse the case, RAM, and HDD.

yatesl

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£70.44 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£173.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £462.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Here's a decent build to aim for. Depending on the quality of your PSU (if it's prebuilt, well...), that's all you should really need.

213372bu

Banned
With Phenom and 620GT, I think you will be better served getting new PC altogether.

Those components scream pre-built to me, so you would be better served by just building a new computer.

Yeah my current computer is pre-built with the added 620GT. My gaming rig actually died due to overheating around 2 years ago.

If I'm going to get a new rig what would you guys suggest?

looks like you should probably do a fresh build, but keep your drives and case.

Sounds like that's what I might be doing, what exactly should I salvage though?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yeah my current computer is pre-built with the added 620GT. My gaming rig actually died due to overheating around 2 years ago.

Keep your hard drive, DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Since yours is prebuilt, unless you can empty the case, I'd get a new case with better airflow.

Denton

What yatesl suggests sounds good, although personally I went for 280X. And even then I am afraid it won't run Witcher 3 at 1080p/60fps/high. But I would go for something stronger than 760. Depends on the budget of course.

213372bu

Banned
Keep your hard drive, DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Since yours is prebuilt, unless you can empty the case, I'd get a new case with better airflow.

Alright, thanks!

One last question : If I'm aiming to keep my (new) system current without having to upgrade for a couple years is there a certain type of rig I should be aiming for/parts that I should make sure are of a really good quality?

What yatesl suggests sounds good, although personally I went for 280X. And even then I am afraid it won't run Witcher 3 at 1080p/60fps/high. But I would go for something stronger than 760. Depends on the budget of course.
Yeah, I'm thinking of keeping that build in mind, while trying to make sure I can stomach the budget. Thanks!
wait its a pre-build? well in that case you definitely need to start from scratch and salvage what Grizz is suggesting, also
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835397
read the OT

Thanks for the help!

fader

wait its a pre-build? well in that case you definitely need to start from scratch and salvage what Grizz is suggesting, also
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835397
read the OP

GrizzNKev

Banned
Alright, thanks!

One last question : If I'm aiming to keep my (new) system current without having to upgrade for a couple years is there a certain type of rig I should be aiming for/parts that I should make sure are of a really good quality?

If your budget is high, go with an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. Their prices are generally higher, but they are also faster and thus will last you an extra year or two as long as you skip poorly optimized games like Watch_Dogs. I have a 4GB 770 and absolutely love it. High VRAM (4GB+) will be important going forward as we have more open world games designed for the consoles' 5.5-ish useable gigs of RAM.

213372bu

Banned
If your budget is high, go with an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. Their prices are generally higher, but they are also faster and thus will last you an extra year or two as long as you skip poorly optimized games like Watch_Dogs. I have a 4GB 770 and absolutely love it. High VRAM (4GB+) will be important going forward as we have more open world games designed for the consoles' 5.5-ish useable gigs of RAM.

Thanks for your help! I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

Tenck

Devil's Canyon is out isn't it? Could pick up 4790k. That'll definitely last you a long time. You'll need a z97 board, and you can pick up a 780 or 770.

780ti if you want to drop a $600+ on a gpu.

213372bu

Banned
Devil's Canyon is out isn't it? Could pick up 4790k. That'll definitely last you a long time. You'll need a z97 board, and you can pick up a 780 or 770.

780ti if you want to drop a $600+ on a gpu.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm definitely eyeing down those Devil Canyons.

Top Bottom