• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCMR: Analog Optical Switches from RAZER and "trigger-like" Keyboards from Wooting push KB+M forward, but not industy standards.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Playing these games with analog pressure keys feels like balancing on a rope, there's not enough travel and stability. Although I need to test these new ones before concluding. I think a hybrid one-handed controller plus a mouse would be better for FPS games. But racing games are better with a wheel or a single controller anyway.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Playing these games with analog pressure keys feels like balancing on a rope, there's not enough travel and stability. Although I need to test these new ones before concluding. I think a hybrid one-handed controller plus a mouse would be better for FPS games. But racing games are better with a wheel or a single controller anyway.
Too few buttons on the controller...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’ve always thought an analog left thumbstick + mouse would be the ultimate combination. Maybe something like a Wii nunchuck but with more buttons. No idea if such a thing actually exists

I’ve always thought an analog left thumbstick + mouse would be the ultimate combination. Maybe something like a Wii nunchuck but with more buttons. No idea if such a thing actually exists
Not sure how well it was but hori made this for ps4
xgfZRKx.jpg

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I was excited to buy the Wooting until I learned it didn't support the only game I really play.

This stuff is like ultrawide screen monitors. Awesome tech. I want it. But until 99% of the industry gets behind it, fuck it I'll stick with what I have.

jigglet

Banned
today I learned people actually play Racing games with a keyboard.... like WHY??? I get KBM for FPS's and strategy games, lines up well, but using a KBM for a racing game just sounds crazy and torturous, even with that new pressure sensitive key tech.

Some games are optimised for keyboard. Kartrider Drift is one example. I tried it with a controller and it was so bad.

Skifi28

today I learned people actually play Racing games with a keyboard.... like WHY??? I get KBM for FPS's and strategy games, lines up well, but using a KBM for a racing game just sounds crazy and torturous, even with that new pressure sensitive key tech.
Playing racing games with a keyboard while making fun of playing shooters with a controller, good stuff.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Glad to see double shot PBT keycaps are becoming more and more common. Definitely makes a difference. Just a more premium feeling keyboard.

Personally, I've become a big fan of smaller keyboards. Currently I'm using a Durgod Hades 68 key with Gateron red switches. Just liking the simpler approach these days.
as someone with a family and dual use high powered PC for work and play, I've become a HUGE fan of soft touch quiet keys, and the Logitech Craft is soooooo good.

design-medium.jpg

Its the first slim, quiet, soft keyboard that I've felt is actually good. and the Turn wheel is a godsent for editing. Allowed me to get rid of several other pieces of hardware on my desk.

Because when you grow up using a Mouse and Keyboard and never using a controller or even having a console it works great. It's even better than a controller.

>not playing Trackmania with a keyboard

lol

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Playing racing games with a keyboard while making fun of playing shooters with a controller, good stuff.
Arcade racing games generally have no disadvantage/deficiency on keyboard vs controller. Can't say the same for controllers on shooters...

Topher

Gold Member
as someone with a family and dual use high powered PC for work and play, I've become a HUGE fan of soft touch quiet keys, and the Logitech Craft is soooooo good.

design-medium.jpg

Its the first slim, quiet, soft keyboard that I've felt is actually good. and the Turn wheel is a godsent for editing. Allowed me to get rid of several other pieces of hardware on my desk.

I've got a MX Keys for my work computer. For a pure typing experience, I'm with you, no doubt that is as about as good as you are going to get. I just wish they made a 68 key or TKL version.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

i actually play racing games better with a keyboard than a controller, including sims or semi-sims.
i get you can to minor steering adjustments with a analog stick but it feels so awkward to do so that i've no idea how people manage that correctly in the middle of a race.

Last edited:

Akuji

Who pays 230 dollars for a fucking keyboard? Sometimes I ask myself how it's possible Razer is still in business, or better, who the fuck buys this overpriced shit?
I dont like razer but i kinda wanna buy the keyboard. The Switches Look really good. Would love to try them out. 230 bucks for a keyboard is alot of money but for a device i use daily for 3 years or even more? From that perspektive its not that expensive.

manfestival

That is cool and all but give me a real custom keeb over one of these gamer centric keebs. If it doesn't come barebones pcb, overpriced unlubed switches, doubleshot abs/pbt keycaps, and durock stabs then it is a waste of time and money

Though on a side note.... the Razer analog switch actually sounds and feels good. Well everything about it except for the rattling spacebar.

Last edited:

CS Lurker

It's a very interesting approach. But I just bought a corsair low profile keyboard and I'm not gonna think about a new one for the next 5 years or so. These low profile switches and key caps were exactly what I was looking for.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Who pays 230 dollars for a fucking keyboard? Sometimes I ask myself how it's possible Razer is still in business, or better, who the fuck buys this overpriced shit?

Razer's laptops are pretty nice. Honestly they are one of the few PC laptop makers who understood what made Macbook Pro's good and outright copied it for the PC area.

Top Bottom