• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
It's nonetheless creepy and unhealthy.

jcwat.gif

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I kind of have to agree with him. There seem to be a disturbing number of people here who from reading their posts would love nothing better than to see the entire university shut down and all of the students who have been or would have been working their butts off for their degrees lose all their credits for the actions of the administration.

I kind of have to agree with him. There seem to be a disturbing number of people here who from reading their posts would love nothing better than to see the entire university shut down and all of the students who have been or would have been working their butts off for their degrees lose all their credits for the actions of the administration.

lol, you guys are talking about different things, though.

Yup. So many people wanting to see the entire school shut down and not just the football program. And even with just the football progrram, definitely nobody has said anything like, "the football players should be able to transfer anywhere, and PSU should pay their scholarships."

Yes, pedophilia is creepy and unhealthy.*

*All credit to the Count.

Pedophilia is creepy, and unhealthy. So are schadenfreude circle-jerks, to a lesser extent, but still. Don't get it twisted: When UNC gets theirs, I'll be there jakncokkin' it up with the best of them. And when UK gets theirs, they'll be doing the same... It's a spillover from the competitive spirit of College athletics overflowing in this thread. I think people just love the fun and juiciness of seeing something once so great fall so far.

Cyan

Banned
Yup. So many people wanting to see the entire school shut down and not just the football program. And even with just the football progrram, definitely nobody has said anything like, "the football players should be able to transfer anywhere, and PSU should pay their scholarships."

Exactly. This whole thread is just overflowing with people crowing about how miserable Penn State fans are feeling right now, for really no reason except that they love to see other people be miserable.

They're probably watching hurricane footage with their pants unzipped right now.

rCIZZLE

Almost everybody who was in favor of the football program getting banned for one or more seasons has said the players should get to transfer.

Pedophilia is creepy, and unhealthy. So are schadenfreude circle-jerks, to a lesser extent, but still. Don't get it twisted: When UNC gets theirs, I'll be there jakncokkin' it up with the best of them. And when UK gets theirs, they'll be doing the same... It's a spillover from the competitive spirit of College athletics overflowing in this thread. I think people just love the fun and juiciness of seeing something once so great fall so far.

I would have rather not have either those kids get abused or see some family and friends get more angry about the punishments than the crime. Lost repect for a lot of people in my life since this all started. I'm all for people who share those shitty opinions getting verbally dumped on by outsiders.

The former is your opinion, for whatever reason you have for holding it.

The latter is bullshit.

I just don't seek any enjoyment from people being punished for being associates of this situation. There are thousands of people being punished right now for the actions of a few, and the rebuttal to any criticism of this thinking basically boils down to 'well, they are part of Penn State, they must be punished by association'. So when other people seem to revel in it, I do find that creepy. And in a society where understanding and rehabilitation are necessary for us to improve the way in which we interact with each other and advance ourselves, I think it's unhealthy. I mean, do people seriously agree that a kid who made one stupid decision to "involve" himself in the riot by placing his hands on a truck should have his main career aspiration obliterated permanently? People were saying 'he deserves it'. Really? Really? For that? Come on.

lol, you guys are talking about different things, though.

Not really. You're the one's guilty of lumping.

Lol, no.

But please, continue caring more for the rioters than the raped children.

It confirms my worldview.

That's just you being childish and generalising our argument because you're too lazy to debate it properly.

Obviously I care about the children (that's basic human decency), but it's quite clear that the debate has moved on to how Penn State and its people should be punished, and that's what we were commenting on.

I don't believe that you care for the children.

Sigh. Your attempts to paint me as a child-hating tyrant are clumsy. If I'm finding sympathy for associates of the situation, logic would dictate I would feel very strongly for the direct victims of such a situation. I'm all about compassion, hence my sympathy for some of the associates.

You are free to post examples of me "lumping."

I think its a generalisation that anyone at Penn State should be punished for essentially just being associated with Penn State in the first place. I think that's very dangerous logic. Very convenient. Very lazy. Ultimately unhelpful, too.

I thought we'd moved on to whether those of us who like seeing the crazies get their just desserts are "creepy" and "unhealthy"?

Well, you handled it respectfully, even though you didn't agree. Some others chose a different path, unfortunately.

Sigh. Your attempts to paint me as a child-hating tyrant are clumsy. If I'm finding sympathy for associates of the situation, logic would dictate I would feel very strongly for the direct victims of such a situation. I'm all about compassion, hence my sympathy for some of the associates.

I am not painting anything. I am admiring your work.

Roland Garros said:
I think its a generalisation that anyone at Penn State should be punished for essentially just being associated with Penn State in the first place. I think that's very dangerous logic. Very convenient. Very lazy. Ultimately unhelpful, too.

Huh, this is not evidence to support your accusation.

I'll wait.

I am not painting anything. I am admiring your work.

You have done all you can to paint anyone who disagrees with aspects of the punishment as cultists or apologists. It's very childish. Then you've insinuated that I don't care for the children. That's very unfair, and unfounded. Do you have evidence to support that?

Huh, this is not evidence to support your accusation.

I'll wait.

This didn't help:

Lol.

What a crybaby.

It was the latest example of you vilifying someone connected to the Penn State situation, and making light of their misery. It goes back to what I was saying earlier... I find it creepy that you find enjoyment out of other people's misery.

I find this a very sad situation, all round. There is not much to laugh at, at all. Particularly not stories like that.

You should move the goalposts less.

Stick to a claim and support it.

You are the king of moving goalposts in the shortest form you can execute. Actually respond to someone in a debate without two line posts. I have laid it out, if you don't wish to respond, don't resort to clumsy short-form responses.

You said I did not care for the children. Please back that up?

Words have meaning.

I have no need of moving the goalpost. I would not take your gimmick.

Anyway, you are free to provide supporting evidence for your claims about me. Until then, lol at the punished rioters.

Of course it is going nowhere.

I'm talking to someone who thinks that mercy should be granted to those that riot in support of an organization that protects child rapists.

I'm surprised it got this far.

Here's why there's a bit of reveling in this thread.

There were staunch, staunch supporters of Paterno in this and other related threads. The goalposts kept being moved.

First it was that no such thing had happened.
Then Paterno couldn't have known.
If he did know, he couldn't do anything about it.
If he could, other authorities had more responsibility.
Well, ok, Paterno had a lot of authority, but that should have been handled by the cops. Paterno did the minimal, legally required steps.

All the while insisting that the football program had nothing to do with it when the football program had everything to do with it. Unfortunately, PennState's football fervor and its fans became the public face of the university. Those PennState students who disapproved of this whole debacle were utterly drowned out by other students who showed more dismay over a damaged football program than by the fact that a child rapist walked their halls freely for 10 years.

This is the reason for the schadenfreude. A football program, a football coach, and the surrounding culture were placed above everything, including the welfare of the most vulnerable. It was torn down in the most public manner, and it sends a huge message; that this is unacceptable.

And the continued defensiveness of PennState fans (not students, but fans) only prolongs this schadenfreude. The right feelings is contriteness and shame, not defense of the program. Students were not involved in the coverup, but they did buy wholesale into the culture that allowed such a vile thing to happen. They were duped, sure, but then the correct emotion to display is regret and shame, not defensiveness.

There's an important difference there, though.

Most of the mockery I've seen re: Catholic Church sex scandals are directed at the Church and the authority figures therein. I don't think I've seen much, or any, mockery directed at the Catholic congregations themselves. This is because, from what I've seen, parishes reject the authority who abused their power while the Church protects that authority.

In the PennState example, the students and alumni (fans in either case) who vigorously defend their institution invite ridicule by being so tonedeaf to what went wrong.

I get your point, but that behavior is a relatively recent development in the long history of that organization's perversion.

Maybe in a decade or two, the Penn State cult will behave as the good Catholics do.

EDIT - and on the other side, the public display of schadenfreude has been made easier (and safer) by the advent of the internet.

border

I mean, do people seriously agree that a kid who made one stupid decision to "involve" himself in the riot by placing his hands on a truck should have his main career aspiration obliterated permanently?

If your main career aspiration is to be a part of an organization that looks down on even misdemeanor criminal convictions, then you should damn well keep your nose clean. It's disingenuous to boil it down to "placing his hands on a truck" too - there's certainly a little bit more to it than that.

I'm a little confused about why ROTC is so strict though. They're military dudes -- surely they have students that get into bar fights or have some drunk & disorderly conduct charges. Do all those guys get completely booted as well?

Here's why there's a bit of reveling in this thread.

There were staunch, staunch supporters of Paterno in this and other related threads. The goalposts kept being moved.

First it was that no such thing had happened.
Then Paterno couldn't have known.
If he did know, he couldn't do anything about it.
If he could, other authorities had more responsibility.
Well, ok, Paterno had a lot of authority, but that should have been handled by the cops. Paterno did the minimal, legally required steps.

All the while insisting that the football program had nothing to do with it when the football program had everything to do with it. Unfortunately, PennState's football fervor and its fans became the public face of the university. Those PennState students who disapproved of this whole debacle were utterly drowned out by other students who showed more dismay over a damaged football program than by the fact that a child rapist walked their halls freely for 10 years.

This is the reason for the schadenfreude. A football program, a football coach, and the surrounding culture were placed above everything, including the welfare of the most vulnerable. It was torn down in the most public manner, and it sends a huge message; that this is unacceptable.

And the continued defensiveness of PennState fans (not students, but fans) only prolongs this schadenfreude. The right feelings is contriteness and shame, not defense of the program. Students were not involved in the coverup, but they did buy wholesale into the culture that allowed such a vile thing to happen. They were duped, sure, but then the correct emotion to display is regret and shame, not defensiveness.

Great post, and you present your perspective well and respectfully. My issue was never really with people like you, it was more with the people whose entire posting repertoire seemed to consist of "LOL" and not much more on the subject, aswell as piling into individuals connected to the debacle, including that kid involved in the riot.

I'm also of the opinion that if people are so sure of the dangers posed by such cultish aspects of football/college culture, surely they must then apply some sympathy for those caught up in it, including that kid, again.

Regardless, I can respect your perspective, even if I disagree on small aspects of it, and you've done more to help me see it your way than others in here could ever dream of.

SeanR1221

Don't worry, Penn Staters, it'll still be sung at your games. Just not by your side.

Wow, now it's the official 'time to fuck with Penn State fans' song.

imokwiththis.jpg

I'm of two minds with it. At this point I'm inclined to take any additional punishment on those abominable people, and this could be a good way to humiliate them.

Yeah, and surely that's what would bother the Penn State fans most.

What am I reading :/

What am I reading :/
I don't think trying to sweep the paedophilia issue under the rug and trying to appeal agreed to sanctions is helping them any, in the eyes of outsiders. Neither is the reaction by their fans. Hence you see a lot of people feeling justified in shaming them.

I don't think making light of paedophilia is the way to shame them, but I can understand peoples reactions to the disgusting response of the most vocal Penn State fans.

I'm also of the opinion that if people are so sure of the dangers posed by such cultish aspects of football/college culture, surely they must then apply some sympathy for those caught up in it, including that kid, again.

Nobody should presume to tell others that they must have sympathy for people doing, saying, and/or defending reprehensible things and a reprehensible institution because of their cultlike devotion.

That's argument has the intellectual heft of a gnat.

It continues.

Eileen Morgan said:
We will move forward if: 1) Indisputable evidence surfaces that clearly shows Joe Paterno knew that Jerry Sandusky was molesting boys since 1998/2001 and did nothing to stop him, (it is evident that the findings of your $6.5 million Freeh report were not factually derived or 2) You admit your hasty decisions starting back in November 2011, (including firing Joe Paterno, accepting the Freeh Report, and agreeing to the NCAA sanctions) were a mistake, made under pressure and not based on truth, and that, most importantly, you did not act in the best interest of Penn State University.

One day you will have to look in the mirror and admit that you allowed this debacle to spin out of control.

Then you hired Freeh to validate your firing of Joe and again to make yourselves look like the good guys. Did it not once occur to you that, by making the icon of your own university take the fall, with no evidence of wrongdoing, you were potentially destroying the university?

Supposedly this letter will appear on the back of the Centre Daily Times on Friday.

And now you find yourselves desperate to repair and rebuild the image of Penn State, an image which you single-handedly allowed to be torn apart.

Yup. The B.O.T. singlehandedly ruined Penn State's reputation.

Not that kiddie raper. What was his name again?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It continues.

Supposedly this letter will appear on the back of the Centre Daily Times on Friday.

This is absolute lunacy.

I HATE what college football does to people in this country. There is no other sport where people get so involved that they are absolutely blinded by total bias when it comes to anything, even something as horrible as this.

This is absolute lunacy.

I HATE what college football does to people in this country. There is no other sport where people get so involved that they are absolutely blinded by total bias when it comes to anything, even something as horrible as this.

And it's why the program needs to be killed.

Great post, and you present your perspective well and respectfully. My issue was never really with people like you, it was more with the people whose entire posting repertoire seemed to consist of "LOL" and not much more on the subject, aswell as piling into individuals connected to the debacle, including that kid involved in the riot.

Regardless, I can respect your perspective, even if I disagree on small aspects of it, and you've done more to help me see it your way than others in here could ever dream of.

<3

See, there is room for reasoned debate. I know this is an emotionally charged matter, especially for PennState students, alumni, and fans, so it's difficult to reason and be reasoned.

Nobody should presume to tell others that they must have sympathy for people doing, saying, and/or defending reprehensible things and a reprehensible institution because of their cultlike devotion.

That's argument has the intellectual heft of a gnat.

Well, I do agree with him to an extent. Football culture is a cycle; the university encourages it, students buy into it, so the university puts more into the culture, and so on. I would be more sympathetic if the students showed dismay and confusion that such a thing could happen instead of (publicly) lamenting their football program so much. They should have received a 4 year death penalty to reset the entire culture, on top of the current penalties. This would have given them time to rebuilt the university's football culture in a healthy way.

Edit:
I would favor shutting down the entire university. The institution and more importantly the community has made it a complete mockery of what higher education should be.

And this is taking it too far. That's an alumni, not the leadership of the school. PennState is also renowned academically, the students and faculty involved in research who decidedly did not buy into the culture shouldn't be punished in such a manner. The culture focused on football should be reset, not the entire school.

You can have a culture focused on academics and pride in the athletic programs at the university. Look at Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom