• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People Can Fly cancels Project Dagger after sinking ~16,5 mil USD into it

Bartski

Gold Member
Eurogamer Polska reports the Warsaw studio behind Outriders, Bulletstorm, Gow: Judgement, and Painkiller - People Can Fly has revealed their next game Project Dagger went down the shitter, after Take Two tried pulling the plug on it in 2022, burning through ~16,5 mil USD to an instant stock price plummet by 12%.

No news on projects Bifrost, Victoria nor their collab with Squer Enix - project Gemini.

https://www.eurogamer.pl/polskie-people-can-fly-wtopilo-anulowano-projekt-za-niemal-70-mln-zl
The mysterious Project Dagger from People Can Fly will not be created. We never found out whether there was going to be production, but it must have been at a fairly advanced stage of development. Its cancellation means that Polish companies will write off PLN 68.3 million from last year's financial results.

Problems with the title started much earlier, in 2022 . It was then that the then publisher - Take-Two - sent the company a letter regarding the termination of the game financing agreement.

“We believe very much in Project Dagger and want to continue working and self-publish. The game is still in pre-production, and the team is currently focusing on refining the combat and gameplay systems and on migrating from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5," said Sebastian Wojciechowski, president at the time.

Nothing of that. Yesterday it was announced that the title was finally canceled, which means a write-off of almost PLN 70 million. As explained, the sum symbolizes "one hundred percent of the expenditure on this project." The data are estimates and may change after the auditor's examination.

" The discontinuation of work is the result of re-analysis of the development plans for projects implemented by PCF and changes to these plans due to the unsatisfactory results of the evaluation of the scope and commercial potential of the project after redefining the direction of the game's development," we read in the announcement.

As you can guess, investors are not satisfied and since yesterday the company's share price has dropped by over 12 percent. Even if deleting projects is nothing new in the world of games, the fact that in this case the amount involved was as much as PLN 70 million was probably a surprise.

People Can Fly will publish its complete 2023 report on April 25, which will give a more accurate idea of how "severe" this write-down is.

Sounds just weird to burn through quite some money before realising Take2 pulling the plug much earlier was the right move.
Who greenlights these projects to even enter any already costlier production stage or stubbornly continue to hit a wall later on? Either the story or the proposed gameplay loop should be rocksolid before doing anything that costs a lot. You don't have to design artsy chairs, tables and furniture, detailed rocks and luscious nature only to notice that neither plot nor player actions are fun.

Jaybe

RIxuEHv.jpg

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m not usually “that guy” but sometimes when I see how much money is wasted by companies, it makes me sad for the people in the world that can’t get food or whatever. The money wasted here, and on Foamstars could have paid for “good” in this world. Instead, thrown down the drain on nothing anyone will ever touch.

Shut0wen

Worst developer at the moment, dont get who keeps giving these people money, they should of went under when bulletstorm dropped

How big is this studio, when they can handle 4 projects (irrespective of scope) simultaneously?

What was that current gen console launch game like Helldivers 2, published by Square? Outdivers? Wasn't that rumoured to be getting a sequel from these guys again?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man why am I not surprised? Painkiller and Bulletstorm were fun games that felt like they were made by passionate shooter fans. Outriders felt like some bland design-by-committee entertainment product.

I don’t know how much DEI was crammed into that game but from the little I played, it had the unmistakable stink of shitty modern writing + trying to make something that’s safe/profitable instead of something they were excited about.

This studio is done. I doubt they’ll ever do anything worthwhile again.

Bartski

Gold Member
How big is this studio, when they can handle 4 projects (irrespective of scope) simultaneously?
NameLocationFounded/acquiredRef.
PCF WarsawWarsaw, Poland2002
PCF NewcastleNewcastle upon Tyne, England2017
PCF RzeszówRzeszów, Poland2018
PCF ŁódźŁódź, Poland2020[21]
PCF New YorkNew York City, United States2019
PCF Chicago (formerly Phosphor Studios)Chicago, United States2021[22]
PCF Montreal (formerly Game On)Montreal, Canada2021[23]
IncuvoKatowice, Poland2021[24]
PCF KrakowKraków, Poland2022[25]
PCF PublishingDublin, Ireland

Goalus

Too bad - they are a top-tier developer who put out nothing but high-quality games so far.
I don’t know how much DEI was crammed into that game but from the little I played, it had the unmistakable stink of shitty modern writing + trying to make something that’s safe/profitable instead of something they were excited about.
It was noticeable, but not too dominant. Ironically, Bulletstorm - their previous game - had a very well-written strong female lead character and an asian side-kick that both felt natural and made the game even better. They don't need any diversity consulting in order to have a diverse cast.

Last edited:
Looking at my shelf of old XB360 games, Bulletstorm is the first game I have in the Not Back Compat section of my collection.
They really don't deserve anymore consideration just for that.

Top Bottom