• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People you know who have unique gaming habits.

m14

By unique I'm particularly interested in people who regularly game exclusively on an older system and with a capsule collection of games - or preferably just one specific game- as the main bread and butter of their gaming diet. They aren't collectors or "retro gamers", they have just play what they like, over and over again.

Some examples:
The uncle who stubbornly (sensibly) plays only Madden NFL 06 on his PS2. The two other games he owns are Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006 (unplayed in the past decade) and Urban Chaos (purchased used from GameStop in 2008 and never played... so far).
The otherwise technophile friend whose default game is Cabela's Dangerous Hunts on the OG Xbox, hooked up to their 4K OLED TV.
The Sega loving cousin who had their heart broken by Sega's exit from hardware. They never bought another console after the Dreamcast, which they still use on a daily basis. An offer to "play 2K" against them means getting schooled on NBA 2K1.
The aunt who bought a Wii exclusively for Wii Fit but who now uses it instead to endlessly replay Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga.
The colleague with a state of the art custom PC, deployed solely to play Rebel Moon Rising. He also owns the strategy guide, from Prima Games books.

Bonus points if their game of choice is obscure and lowly rated by critics. I like when people find something they really like, relentlessly stick to it and are rewarded with constant enjoyment. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Let's hear your stories of joyful gamers, GAF.

Last edited:

IAmRei

By unique I'm particularly interested in people who regularly game exclusively on an older system and with a capsule collection of games - or preferably just one specific game- as the main bread and butter of their gaming diet. They aren't collectors or "retro gamers", they have just play what they like, over and over again.

Some examples:
The uncle who stubbornly (sensibly) plays only Madden NFL 06 on his PS2. The two other games he owns are Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006 (unplayed in the past decade) and Urban Chaos (purchased used from GameStop in 2008 and never played... so far).
The otherwise technophile friend whose default game is Cabela's Dangerous Hunts on the OG Xbox, hooked up to their 4K OLED TV.
The Sega loving cousin who had their heart broken by Sega's exit from hardware. They never bought another console after the Dreamcast, which they still use on a daily basis. An offer to "play 2K" against them means getting schooled on NBA 2K1.
The aunt who bought a Wii exclusively for Wii Fit but who now uses it instead to endlessly replay Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga.
The colleague with a state of the art custom PC, deployed solely to play Rebel Moon Rising. He also owns the strategy guide, from Prima Games books.

Bonus points if their game of choice is obscure and lowly rated by critics. I like when people find something they really like, relentlessly stick to it and are rewarded with constant enjoyment. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Let's hear your stories of joyful gamers, GAF.

I think its also me, i occassionally play obscure games, old fan translated games. Play it on emulator because i live in remote place, retro games which i likes are very rare or even as expensive as switch. I almost looks like small degrees of gaming historian in my town.

And i have fond with cute chibi games.

As another person, when i developed shmups game in 2017, i know some people who are hardcore into shmups. Even have lot of arcades and changes his house into museum (i think its 20-50 arcades) or other friend who is prefer old crt, and learn to repair tv because his love to crt.

MarkMe2525

I think its also me, i occassionally play obscure games, old fan translated games. Play it on emulator because i live in remote place, retro games which i likes are very rare or even as expensive as switch. I almost looks like small degrees of gaming historian in my town.

And i have fond with cute chibi games.

As another person, when i developed shmups game in 2017, i know some people who are hardcore into shmups. Even have lot of arcades and changes his house into museum (i think its 20-50 arcades) or other friend who is prefer old crt, and learn to repair tv because his love to crt.
At least 80% of my console gaming (within the last 6 months) has been on a CRT, but that's because I got tired of modern gaming tropes. Games aren't getting better, they are just getting prettier (for the most part).

On topic: This probably may be unheard of, but I have been known to smoke a little of the devils lettuce before gaming sessions.

Last edited:

IAmRei

At least 80% of my console gaming (within the last 6 months) has been on a CRT, but that's because I got tired of modern gaming tropes.

On topic: This probably may be unheard of, but I have been known to smoke a little of the devils lettuce before gaming sessions.
I might understand a little. But i also savors the first unboxing of game cover. Like back when i received my lego and unboxed it, i exhale the "new plastic" feels from the plastic wraps. Ooh that "new plastic" smells...

MarkMe2525

I might understand a little. But i also savors the first unboxing of game cover. Like back when i received my lego and unboxed it, i exhale the "new plastic" feels from the plastic wraps. Ooh that "new plastic" smells...
You jostled my thinking and reminded me that me and my daughter have a tradition of licking every new switch game we unwrap. I tricked her once when she was around 4 (2018) and have been doing it ever since.

IAmRei

You jostled my thinking and reminded me that me and my daughter have a tradition of licking every new switch game we unwrap. I tricked her once when she was around 4 (2018) and have been doing it ever since.
And reminds me why games are awesome. Im still having habit to blow my nes cart up to 1997.

I never licked switch cart. I heard its bitter(?)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
49xzy8d.jpg

I keep telling my friend he should quit smoking

Holammer

A friend of mine is mentally hardwired to move forward with mousebutton2.
We had a laugh about it just a few days ago. When +mlook was new with Quake everyone had their own theory on how to control first person games. He saw a guide from some guy online, figured that's legit and tried his method.

28 years later and he plays Helldivers 2 that way. The issue come up when he struggled to setup controls to his liking in the game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
At least 80% of my console gaming (within the last 6 months) has been on a CRT, but that's because I got tired of modern gaming tropes. Games aren't getting better, they are just getting prettier (for the most part).

Yeah, this is where I’ve been for the past year. Modern gaming hasn’t been doing it for me, so I’ve been mainly playing retro games that are new to me, typically either on CRT or GameBoy/Analogue Pocket.

I’ve become especially fond of randomly rolling a game from an entire system library and seeing how far I can get in the game before it’s too bad/difficult/long. I’d say 70% of what I roll is usually not great, or even worth playing, but every so often I find an actual hidden gem of a game that I’ve likely never even heard of.

The Game Boy Color library has been particularly fruitful, since that’s an era of gaming where developers pretty much had mastered developing 8- and 16-bit games, and sometimes took those design principles to weird IP-based games. For example, I bought some silly Mary Kate & Ashley game last year for a dollar from a local game shop, and to my surprise, it was a really competent platform puzzler. (It also turns out it initially started development as a South Park game, which maybe explains why Mary Kate and Ashley literally pick up and THROW their dog across the levels in order to defeat enemies…)

I use the app Daily Decision to easily import full catalogs of games, then hit spin and see what it lands on. Here’s what it looks like. It’s pretty fun!

meIMQxr.png

angrod14

A friend of mine buys most major releases day one and plays them years later, if ever. His copies of The Phantom Pain and Uncharted 4 remain there, sealed. I don't see what's the point of that.

Reactions: m14

m14

A friend of mine buys most major releases day one and plays them years later, if ever. His copies of The Phantom Pain and Uncharted 4 remain there, sealed. I don't see what's the point of that.
A lot of game collector YouTubers follow a similar model.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I have a teen niece who got a Switch for Xmas and a copy of Animal Crossing. This was 3 years ago at least, and she's still playing it, and only it.

I have a friend who only plays first person and third person shooters. He won't touch anything else, therefore he has played very few games outside of western releases. He has only touched Resident Evil 4 and up, Binary Domain, and Breakdown when it comes to Japanese games.

I even tell him about these other cool games and franchises, and the first question he asks is 'is it a shooter? I only want shooters.'

The only way he will try something new is if that franchise creates a shooter spin-off(for example Plants vs Zombies).

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not what OP is after but I have a true goblin of a friend who sets himself numerous self-imposed challenges because games on the highest difficulty aren't hard enough. He did BG3 on honour mode - permadeath in a long RPG on the hardest previous difficulty with new mechanics - but also added these rules:

Honour Mode - Shadowheart Origin - Evil route (Destroy Grove, Kill Nightsong) - No stealth/Invisibility in or out of combat or using obscurement to cheese stuff out of combat - No elixirs - No alchemy - No delicious tadpoles - No respecs from Withers - No pickpocketing - No hirelings - No escaping from combat - No excessive looting (marked containers and corpses only other than story/quest items; no picking up loose items on the ground except for unique items/keys etc.)

The only reason I'd understand this is for any games that use quickly expiring licenses, like racing games for example.

simpatico

My daughter watched me do a complete Bioshock playthrough sitting on my lap at my desk when she was like 5 or 6. She still plays it once a year and really loves the game. Maybe a bit much for a 6 y/o, but she turned out cool.

A friend of mine is mentally hardwired to move forward with mousebutton2.
We had a laugh about it just a few days ago. When +mlook was new with Quake everyone had their own theory on how to control first person games. He saw a guide from some guy online, figured that's legit and tried his method.

28 years later and he plays Helldivers 2 that way. The issue come up when he struggled to setup controls to his liking in the game.
This was actually one of the more popular ways to play first person shooters during that awkward period in the mid to late 90s where everyone knew that mouse look was essential, but WASD hadn't become the standard yet. IIRC there were even a bunch of pros playing with that setup.

I have a friend who, a few years back, had something like 2.5k hours on age of empires 2. I remember him playing it constantly when we were kids and the game first came out. And I worked out that if he'd played it as consistently as he had all the way up to me finding his steam stats, that he would have roughly played around 16,000 hours of the game. He still plays it til this day. He's tried the newer games but says they just don't compare. Mental.

SHA

Reached level 21 with Ryu in SF, but it kinda sucks with online players, they don't like fair fights.

My daughter watched me do a complete Bioshock playthrough sitting on my lap at my desk when she was like 5 or 6. She still plays it once a year and really loves the game. Maybe a bit much for a 6 y/o, but she turned out cool.
I can't wait to play games with my son. He's nearly 1, and he frequently picks up my PS5 controller and presses buttons while staring at the TV. He knows he's doing something that makes the picture on the TV change. So many games I can't wait to show him in a few years.

I can't wait to play games with my son. He's nearly 1, and he frequently picks up my PS5 controller and presses buttons while staring at the TV. He knows he's doing something that makes the picture on the TV change. So many games I can't wait to show him in a few years.

Don't get your expectations too high for this, I was excited to show games to my kids as well and they're not interested in most of them, just play Roblox and Minecraft cause that's what their friends play.

My sister has a ps3 and only play Split Second, NFSHP2, Burnout revenge, MK arcade classics collection and Sonic genesis classics collection disc (to play sor and sonic series).

Know a bunch of weirdos who spend more time on a gaming forum arguing, than playing games.
Come join the few who do.

Ozzie666

I'm still stuck in the 16bit 2D era mostly, Genesis, Super Nintendo, TG16 and Gameboy advanced. I also enjoy N64 games and how they look which confuses anyone who comes over.
These get more use than the PS5. So much so, I retired all those consoles and got Analogue replacements!

MarkMe2525

Yeah, this is where I’ve been for the past year. Modern gaming hasn’t been doing it for me, so I’ve been mainly playing retro games that are new to me, typically either on CRT or GameBoy/Analogue Pocket.

I’ve become especially fond of randomly rolling a game from an entire system library and seeing how far I can get in the game before it’s too bad/difficult/long. I’d say 70% of what I roll is usually not great, or even worth playing, but every so often I find an actual hidden gem of a game that I’ve likely never even heard of.

The Game Boy Color library has been particularly fruitful, since that’s an era of gaming where developers pretty much had mastered developing 8- and 16-bit games, and sometimes took those design principles to weird IP-based games. For example, I bought some silly Mary Kate & Ashley game last year for a dollar from a local game shop, and to my surprise, it was a really competent platform puzzler. (It also turns out it initially started development as a South Park game, which maybe explains why Mary Kate and Ashley literally pick up and THROW their dog across the levels in order to defeat enemies…)

I use the app Daily Decision to easily import full catalogs of games, then hit spin and see what it lands on. Here’s what it looks like. It’s pretty fun!

meIMQxr.png
I have a few miyoo mini's and a "random game" option comes with the alternative OS called Onion OS. I never thought of using it before, but you have changed my mind.

Shut0wen

My dad literally plays nothing but car games, has done ever since outrun, still plays daytona hd on his 360 atleast once a week

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My mom bought a NDS Lite just to play Meteos until the system died. I bought her Hotel Dusk, Texas Hold Em and Mario 64. She never got a new one or tried playing it again. She would just play F2P iPhone games instead. Idk why it bugs me when people have so many games they could play but they’d rather play a gacha game.

My father in law plays Panzer General II. I put the GOG version on his new PC. He has a 3080 GPU and that’s the only game he plays.

Don't know if it counts, but I have a brother with severe autism (It’s relevant to what I will say), that used to hold the controller in a strange way when we played Tekken 4 and 5.

I can't show you guys with a picture or whatever, unfortunately... But I thought it was a needlessly complicated way to play the game. And I associated it with his autism for a while.

Me and him were about the same level when it came to Tekken (Mortal Kombat too), so it wasn't like it was giving him an advantage.

Anyway, way later, this year, I revisited T5, and I decided to try out the way he held the controller, it never crossed my mind to try it before.
And it made me realize that he figured out a more practical way of doing those Tekken moves where you have to press square and circle, for example (I don't know how to write in "Tekken language" like d5 and stuff), or pressing three buttons at the same time.

It really made my brother cooler in my eyes, I had no idea that it wasn't just "He is holding it that way, because of his autism".

I still hold the controller in my way, because I'm used to that, but the way he did it was better.

I wish I could show you guys or describe it, but my english is not that good, and there's no picture that shows it.

I saw some dude's post on this forum the other day talking about how he had a friend that can only ever stick with playing Freedom Fighters over and over again. He tried to get his friend to try other big games like God of War and nothing stuck. This thread was made for him.

reinking

Gold Member
I used to do this. I would buy a game on release knowing I was going to play it at some point. At some point could sometimes be a year later. :messenger_anguished:

I will add one...

My dad locked himself in his bedroom with Phantasy Star and pretty much did not come out until he beat it. The only video game he ever played.

Last edited:
Top Bottom