• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark is Years Away - IGN (comments from Initiative devs)

Did the game have huge following in the past?

I ask this because I sometimes feel out of touch with nostalgia. Like the same way people talk about how Sony should bring back SOCOM, which I feel weird because I can't remember if this game had any big influence back then.
I only know Perfect Dark as an Xbox 360 launch game and as most launch games it was painfully mediocre.
It's like having nostalgia for Kameo.

This complaining about 'hand-off approach' is such a stellar difference from the mentally of 10 years ago or more.

When everyone was complaining that publisher where ruining gaming because they're meddling to much with the process, shoving MTX in, not giving devs enough time/budget, etc.
The problem is that it seems MS is unable to find the best mix of hands-on and hands-off

This is how to destroy your credibility.
Nah, it's a reality.
A DLC on an existing game, or a game like GOWR which uses a ton of the assets from previous games, makes it easier and quicker to put another titles out the door.
It's one of the reasons that FH titles could launch so quickly, they were using car assets from Turn 10.

The rest of your post isn’t even worthy of a response (laughter aside).

I’ve seen a few Xboi’s parrot this same line (maybe it’s just been you a couple of times?) but I feel like I must say the showcase was poor to average at best, and it could only be considered ‘good’ if in direct comparison to PlayStation’s.

That’s all.
What's amazing is its the Playstation fans who are so concerned about the going ons in Microsoft studios. There's a name for that.

CamHostage

The Initiative was a brand new studio built from the ground up, to make a game with a totally new concept. No reusing old game assets or storylines.
They had a goal of having a boutique studio, made up of all the most talented devs from studios in that highly talented area.
They soon found out that they had too many chiefs and not enough Indians, and Gallagher had to pull rank and regain control of what the game was going to be.

Sort of, although more specifically (although I don't see this actually stated in the 2018 E3 announcement or accompanying press statement) The Initiative was an incubator group of sorts. They had top-tier talent assembled there to "initiate" projects, with bold visions and breakthrough ideas on a grand scale... and then, they would go find some secondary studio to actually build the thing co-develop the project with them.

It's unclear what kind of timeline The Initiative was supposed to be under (you'd think a seeder studio like this would five years later have a half-dozen projects in the works like this rather than one big thing here, which is the case as far as we know,) or how another publisher's very-busy studio became the first choice for the partner studio (Galagher's connection makes some sense, but still, Certain Affinity would be a more fitting partner than CD in the middle of tying up Avengers and juggling the Tomb Raider franchise for their boss and not having made a FPS since Project Snowblind...), or what did and did not work out with this new type of studio-over-studios model. By all (unofficial) accounts so far, the project has not completely gone completely to plan.

Shit happens in creative product production, so it's not for the worst of fates that a good studio is working on a desirable brand for a lucrative publisher, whatever behind-the-scenes issues there have been; the wait and the rumors suck, but we might in the end get a great Perfect Dark out of this at some point. Or, not. Either way, I don't really see how The Initiative can survive afterwards. It's an experiment that has not yet proven any advantages for the process of making games.

Last edited:

-MD-

Announcing it early doesn't bother me at all, knowing it's actively being made is enough.

I just want it to be good, that's all I care about.

93xfan

Banned
What is so good about this game anyway? I mean why it is important?
And I was going to save you a spot on my couch…

Perfect Dark (n64 and 360 remake) is a lot of fun. If they can capture that again, this game will be well worth the wait.

Vognerful

And I was going to save you a spot on my couch…

Perfect Dark (n64 and 360 remake) is a lot of fun. If they can capture that again, this game will be well worth the wait.
93xfan 93xfan - sama......

Sorry I Apologize GIF

Top Bottom