• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Perfect Dark

Darsxx82

CD is working on a new tomb raider game

I have a feeling we won’t see PD for a long time unfortunately
Crystal dynamic was already working on PD before Tom Raider was announced.
According to Crystal Dynamic and Embrace itself, the developer team is divided between PD and TR. At the same time that they announced that they were going to UE5 for Tom Raider which, not coincidentally, was the engine on which PD was using.

In games development you never know 100%, but personally I am more sure that PD will be a reality sooner rather than later since the CD colaboration was announced than being developed by a totally new team of only 80 devs (later 42 devs) originally.

Crystal dynamic was already working on PD before Tom Raider was announced.
According to Crystal Dynamic and Embrace itself, the developer team is divided between PD and TR. At the same time that they announced that they were going to UE5 for Tom Raider which, not coincidentally, was the engine on which PD was using.

In games development you never know 100%, but personally I am more sure that PD will be a reality sooner rather than later since the CD colaboration was announced than being developed by a totally new team of only 80 devs (later 42 devs) originally.
If I am not mistaken and if my memory serves me right, I believe I've read somewhere that Tomb Raider is very far along in development and is coming in 2024 with PD following up in 2025.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Perfect Dark Announcement: 2020

Hellblade 2 Announcement: 2019. - Release: 2024

So if you go by math, it should comeback next year with a release date for 2025
That's kind of a good thought, buuuuuuuuuut The Initiative is kinda shaky since this announcement and some heads left the company. I could see a lot of direction changing because of this, for better or worse

Still, Hellblade and Perfect Dark are proof that we don't need a teaser of the start of development. We need the game that has a proper date. Could be a year, maybe two, but not "maybe in four years. Maybe"

Darsxx82

If I am not mistaken and if my memory serves me right, I believe I've read somewhere that Tomb Raider is very far along in development and is coming in 2024 with PD following up in 2025.
The collaboration between The Initiative and CD was announced in September 2021. Tom Raider was announced a year later.

It is true that this does not mean that the development of Tom Raider began before the collaboration with THe Initiative but that the developments are carried out at the same time.

Crystal Dynamics' last words were that both Tom Raider and Perfect Dark development were progressing very well. Crytal Dinamys has always been a very competent Studio.

The collaboration between The Initiative and CD was announced in September 2021. Tom Raider was announced a year later.

It is true that this does not mean that the development of Tom Raider began before the collaboration with THe Initiative but that the developments are carried out at the same time.

Crystal Dynamics' last words were that both Tom Raider and Perfect Dark development were progressing very well. Crytal Dinamys has always been a very competent Studio.
The last Tomb Raider game I've played was Rise of the Tomb Raider and it was pretty good. But I heard Shadow of the Tokb Raider wasn't as good? Also...that Marvel game sadly didn't do too hot :/ but I think it was their first entry into GaaS game.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The last Tomb Raider game I've played was Rise of the Tomb Raider and it was pretty good. But I heard Shadow of the Tokb Raider wasn't as good? Also...that Marvel game sadly didn't do too hot :/ but I think it was their first entry into GaaS game.
I think SoTR received mixed opinions. Personally, it seemed to me the best of the 3 but that is always subjective.

Marvels avenger received criticism for being Gaas. It was NOT the Marvel single player narrative game people (we) were expecting. Of course, in terms of production values and technology, I think that Marvel Avenger complied exceptionally.

I think SoTR received mixed opinions. Personally, it seemed to me the best of the 3 but that is always subjective.

Marvels avenger received criticism for being Gaas. It was NOT the Marvel single player narrative game people (we) were expecting. Of course, in terms of production values and technology, I think that Marvel Avenger complied exceptionally.
I liked the combat system a lot and the structure was ok. But the end game systems were poor and it took them way too long to try to fix it.

Microsoft showed this trailer in 2020.

Three years later, we haven't heard or seen a clip of the game yet.

Keep in mind Microsoft said this was going to be a "AAAA", showing by their top new studio "The Initiative"

Perfect Dark was absent yet again at this year's games showcase...

Is the game in development hell?

Maybe the game isn't ready to show, and/or, you know...they want to save some reveals for other game shows, like the Game Awards, or their 2024 showcase?

You know what else they didn't show? Contraband. State of Decay 3. Gears 6. That new game from The Coalition. Forza Horizon 6. Indiana Jones.

Hey, do you think the games Sony didn't show are also in development hell, or they just weren't ready to show them, and they also have to stagger releases for other upcoming events? Common sense seems to have departed with the lot of you here 🙄

Riky

$MSFT
Maybe the game isn't ready to show, and/or, you know...they want to save some reveals for other game shows, like the Game Awards, or their 2024 showcase?

You know what else they didn't show? Contraband. State of Decay 3. Gears 6. That new game from The Coalition. Forza Horizon 6. Indiana Jones.

Hey, do you think the games Sony didn't show are also in development hell, or they just weren't ready to show them, and they also have to stagger releases for other upcoming events? Common sense seems to have departed with the lot of you here 🙄

Exactly, when you have so many studios and projects it would be stupid to show every single game in one show. We have Quakecon and The Game Awards yet, we might see some stuff there.

Riky

$MSFT
3eMrosD.jpg

Crystal Dynamics statement.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Where is Killer Instinct is a better question imo. Fighting games are hot right now have been for a while. MS is sitting on an exclusive fighting game.

nkarafo

At this point, a new PD game shouldn't be more or less exciting than any other new IP. The original PD was exciting because it was the spiritual sequel to the massively succesful Goldeneye, by the same devs, in an era when console FPS were still evolving. And the final product had a lot of new stuff in it while still playing and moving like a true Goldeneye sequel.

Now, a new PD game will be so different and as far apart as any other random game. The only thing that will connect them will be a few characters and the lore. And i doubt a single person from the old team will be working on it. So personally i don't care. Got my final PD fix with the Remaster and move on.

Calverz

I reckon the project was restarted when that Gallagher dude “left”. Maybe vga’s later this year we will see.

Top Bottom