• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Perfect Dark

Microsoft showed this trailer in 2020.

Three years later, we haven't heard or seen a clip of the game yet.

Keep in mind Microsoft said this was going to be a "AAAA", showing by their top new studio "The Initiative"

Perfect Dark was absent yet again at this year's games showcase...

Is the game in development hell?

Last edited:
Is the game in development hell?
Probably. Didn't The Initiative have some hiring issues or director(s) leave or something? I thought I recall reading some not so great news in that vein.

Edit: Regardless I don't want this game rushed. The Perfect Dark/Goldeneye/Timesplitters trio were too complex of games to dumb down into a an open zone game or a linear shooter. They have to really flesh out each level's design and make them complex. Everything else comes after.

Last edited:

yurinka

It's under development. As Fable, Hellblade 2 and others it was announced with a CG trailer when the game wasn't even in development.

That new studio was announced a couple years before and they started to slowly hire people. They are around 50-60 people. That original trailer was basically a concept trailer to attract hirings.

Letting Starfield have GOTY 2023.
In Xbox maybe, but having others like Zelda, Final Fantasy XVI, Street Fighter 6, Spider-Man 2 or even Diablo IV I think this year Starfield will have a difficult time specially because people with different tastes will vote different games that will be super important for them.

I think this year we won't have a clear GOTY winner as happened before. Also, Starfield looks really promising, but remember the Bethesda games often weren't released in a very polished state at launch, even if I assume that after Redfall this time they'll make sure it's very polished.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Dev hell, they built a studio that couldn't make the game and handed to hand off the reins to Crystal Dynamics. Game is probably still jacked up.

Deerock71

It's perfectly in the dark.
Perfect Dark Spy GIF by Rare Ltd

Riky

$MSFT
It was revealed at the Game Awards last time so it will probably be there if they have an update this year.

Tsaki

The Initiative lost most of its devs the past few years. With Crystal Dynamics thankfully going all-in on Tomb Raider, I don't expect them to spend too much resources on someone else's game.
You should probably erase it from your memory and be pleasantly surprised when it comes out.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Money says MP4 is going to be a Switch 2 game
doubtful. It may get a 4K version or something, but I don't think Nintendo has ever moved a game to a new platform after announcing it for something else. Twilight Princess and BotW both came out on the consoles they were originally announced for.

They have nothing for the holidays so far.

Knightime_X

doubtful. It may get a 4K version or something, but I don't think Nintendo has ever moved a game to a new platform after announcing it for something else. Twilight Princess and BotW both came out on the consoles they were originally announced for.

They have nothing for the holidays so far.
There will always be a first.
I can see them downporting to switch 1 but if they want switch 2 to sell, that would be an awful idea.

i bet they will show it towards the end of this year maybe for a release holiday 24. They will want to hold games back to do their best to do the 4 main game releases a year they are aiming for.

Perfect Dark Announcement: 2020

Hellblade 2 Announcement: 2019. - Release: 2024

So if you go by math, it should comeback next year with a release date for 2025

Apart from the scale of the two projects are vastly different. I have no expectation of 2025 for this game. Honestly they might even cook it for next gen launch at this point. 2027/28. Not that next gen is even a thing anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom